PDA

View Full Version : Got any questions about the RT you want me to ask?

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm sure that some of these will be answered in the meeting but are there any other questions you want me to ask that you can't find the answer to on the website like the CB?

BumbleBee
09-02-2009, 11:02 AM
1.When are they available?
2. Is it or will it be equipped with plug-in intercom between ryder and passenger?

Magic Man
09-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Yes I have a very important question for you to ask......

When will mine that I told my dealer to get me months ago will be here so I can start making "new stuff" for it? :D

No really....

When are they going to have "customer units" ready for delivery? :dontknow:

MM

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 11:06 AM
I saw Fall somewhere but I'll try and get a date.

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 11:24 AM
http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Community/News-Detail.html?ArticleID=d094a99f-8596-41da-8920-b980437ae172

The Spyder RT roadster will be available for trial at authorized BRP dealerships this fall. Consumers currently have the option to pre-order Premiere Edition Spyder RT-S roadsters for delivery toward the end of 2009.

LittleJohn
09-02-2009, 12:35 PM
1) what type of hitch is on it? Will it fit the current spyder?

2) Have a look at that electric windshield and dash my hopes of a retrofit...LOL!

Thanks Lamont! Have fun with it. Im envious!

M2Wild
09-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Bigger rear wheel sprockt?

Spyder990cc
09-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Is there any difference in the gas tank location and amount of fuel it holds for longer touring runs?

Longlegs
09-02-2009, 01:18 PM
It says gearing is the same. 28/79 or whatever it was.
I wonder what kind of gas milage to expect. The specs say 6.6 gal tank, that won't get to far at 20mpg. How quiet is it?

GaryTheBadger
09-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Will a full-size helmet still fit in the reconfigured front trunk?
Will a full-size helmet fit in the side and/or rear trunks?
Are the lights LED or incandescent?
What kind of financing will BRP offer?
Is there a BRP trade-up program?
Will service departments be thoroughly trained on this more-complex machine?

Magic Man
09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I have another good one for you to ask...

How does a guy who had a Spyder (for about 10 minutes and never rode it when he had it) who besides not riding it never did any mods ether, yet somehow he "deserve" to be one of the "holy 5" getting an RT to test? :dontknow:

What kind of test are they looking for him to do? See how well they sit in a garage undisturbed? :shocked:

I know it's not you my friend as you ride the wheels off yours. :clap::2thumbs:

But we both know this describes one of the guys getting an RT to a "T" :gaah:

Of course it could always be because they are looking to "buy" some good internet press. nojoke

MM

mdr
09-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Similar to LJ's questions: what components of the RT (bags, windshield, hitch, etc) will work with the current Spyders?

Zerocool
09-02-2009, 02:42 PM
What type of trade-in deal might they give to the original PE owners to upgrade, if they wanted to?

I'm not sure I'd want to trade mine up just yet, but would be nice to see if they'd give us an incentive trade-in value ;)

Dukester
09-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Do you know if they addressed the oil getting in the air box and did they redirect the fuel lines or did they protect them?

Is there still a strict Nanny onboard?

I love it and I'm really thinking about trading my 08 in for tour model. But I need to know MPG and if they made some of these corrections.

I'm thinking about waiting until 2011 and then, make the move.

Roaddog2
09-02-2009, 03:04 PM
What type of trade-in deal might they give to the original PE owners to upgrade, if they wanted to?

I'm not sure I'd want to trade mine up just yet, but would be nice to see if they'd give us an incentive trade-in value ;)They should offer something special to the :spyder:owners that were told that you were gone to get a PE edition 1 thrue 2500 and ended up with a number over 2500 we had to put our money up for almost a year and they handled it like Hurricane Katrina and never did a thing except some Bull :cus: press release that was supposed to fix everthing well it didn't at least not with me they would be more a value if they didn't srew up the roll out of the PE Edition :ani29: This has left a Bad taste in my mouth and feelings with doing buisness with BRP don't get me wrong I like my :spyder:I have to date purchased 14 H-Ds new some numbered and limited editions true numbers and never had a srcew like that a rain suit some ryding gear something beside a letter (email) until then I'm on the side lines :mad:
PE Edition 3433 out of 2500 Venting:gaah:

chris56
09-02-2009, 03:04 PM
such a good thread..

how much do i get for my "old" one
what kind of music should i take for my first trip over the alps
will i still have problems with the knees of my "girl"
are the brakes the same like the old ones ..
..are you shure that is street legal ?? -
chris - (hopes to get one of the first european one)

bjt
09-02-2009, 03:29 PM
How does a guy who had a Spyder (for about 10 minutes and never rode it when he had it) who besides not riding it never did any mods ether, yet somehow he "deserve" to be one of the "holy 5" getting an RT to test? :dontknow:

What kind of test are they looking for him to do? See how well they sit in a garage undisturbed? :shocked:

I know it's not you my friend as you ride the wheels off yours. :clap::2thumbs:

But we both know this describes one of the guys getting an RT to a "T" :gaah:

Of course it could always be because they are looking to "buy" some good internet press. nojoke

MM

Where is the info on this "holy 5" you speak of? I'm curious who the person is that you are talking about and who the other four are also.

widowmaker2011
09-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Where is the info on this "holy 5" you speak of? I'm curious who the person is that you are talking about and who the other four are also.
Yeah , kinda not cool to dis someone and skirt around the "I know who it is "part. This thread's reminding me of 3rd grade a little bit. :dontknow:

I know Marc over at Spydertalk and Lamont will put the RT through its paces and give everyone their opinions.

docdoru
09-02-2009, 03:45 PM

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=118306&postcount=13

Spydr in KS
09-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Can they hire a proof reader? Is the sport the RS or RT-S? Did the same person program the steering update that wrote the press release?:dontknow:

I love BRP, but come on guys:hun:

bjt
09-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah , kinda not cool to dis someone and skirt around the "I know who it is "part. This thread's reminding me of 3rd grade a little bit. :dontknow:

I know Marc over at Spydertalk and Lamont will put the RT through its paces and give everyone their opinions.

Not meant to complain about 'dissing someone but I was just curious who the 5 testers were and also who gets to test one without having a lot of original Spyder riding experience. So Marc and Lamont are two of the "holy 5"?

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Not meant to complain about 'dissing someone but I was just curious who the 5 testers were and also who gets to test one without having a lot of original Spyder riding experience. So Marc and Lamont are two of the "holy 5"?
They actually refer to us as "The RT5".

I didn't know Marc was getting one till today.
Ken Miller is getting one and so is Fred Rau. I'm not sure who the last guy is but I'll know tomorrow. :doorag:

I would like to keep this post on track if we could. There's been some good questions so far.

The_Spyderwoman
09-02-2009, 04:18 PM
In the pics it looks like the rear view mirrors are right in front of your hands again. Did they modify this?
I'd also like to ask about the brakes as well. Chris56 already did.
Did they do anything different with the parking brake so it was more convenient to use and not so finicky with sticking?
And just as a side note...I wish they would have made it a 6 speed -- maybe get more mpg.

GregD
09-02-2009, 04:22 PM
I was about to buy an 09 SE5 and set it up for "old guy" touring. Dealer was having trouble getting 3rd party accessories (Corbin, Floorboards, etc.). Looks like the RT will fill my needs nicely. One thing I would like to see on the RT is the Hand Brake. I spent many years on Trials and Enduro bikes. Would like to have that "front brake" lever up there. Old habits die hard. Missed it on my demo ride. Opps. Maybe the ISCI unit would work? Rather have a BRP option, if possible.
I've been following this site since June. Learned a lot. Hope the nagging problems are being fixed for you guys. I almost decided to pass on the Spyder, because of the dumb problems. I no longer have a fully equipped garage and am hoping for a reliable ride. We are light on dealers around here. That makes me nervous, but I'm ready to buy. Just in time for Colorado winter. 2010 models will be trouble free, just change the oil and ride. Right? So,Lamonster, you can put me down for a Hand Brake, and thank you, and all the other members for the great info.
:2excited:

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 04:39 PM
welcome GregD
I think the hand brake is a dead issue, I don't see it ever happening from BRP and I will miss that too. :sour:

As far as being reliable, time will tell. If I go by my experience the Spyder is just as reliable as any Honda.:thumbup:

tatt2r
09-02-2009, 05:05 PM
not to sound like an a-hole but did they fix problem with sqeaky brakes ..????
just checking ...looks cool....:D

NancysToy
09-02-2009, 06:05 PM
No...but the squeak has a much throatier sound now. :joke:

bjt
09-02-2009, 06:45 PM
I have a few questions. Some folks stated that the "spy photo" RT looked like the engine cowls were larger than the original Spyder's cowls. I'm not sure I can tell a difference in the official RT photos. Are the cowls bigger and, if so, why? Is the new front end design just for looks or is it functional (better airflow, aerodynamics, etc.)? Does the new engine design have anything to do with fuel economy? IMO, fuel economy is a concern of those who do a lot of touring nowadays.

Roaddog2
09-02-2009, 06:48 PM
welcome GregD
I think the hand brake is a dead issue, I don't see it ever happening from BRP and I will miss that too. :sour:

As far as being reliable, time will tell. If I go by my experience the Spyder is just as reliable as any Honda.:thumbup:And if I go from mine it's as reliable as my 57 Pan Head nojoke but will say been riding hard last four weeks and no warranty issues so things are lookin up :ani29:

krb1945
09-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Are they going to install a decent sounding twin exhaust, a muffler on each side, that has tuned headers? The headers, as you know, on the 08 and 09 leave a lot to be desired. One header pipe is about 12 inches and the other is 3 FT 4 inches, ie: 40 inches. Not real good for equalizing tuning.

Bersquack
09-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Where's mine? :roflblack:

TonyMac
09-03-2009, 08:12 AM
What happened to Yellow? I love the Blue but Yellow if my color

3wheeldemon
09-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Is it true that the new screen ask you three random questions about the safety card before it lets you start the engine? :D

Have a safe ride!

3WD

NancysToy
09-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Is it true that the new screen ask you three random questions about the safety card before it lets you start the engine? :D

Have a safe ride!

3WD
:roflblack::clap::roflblack::clap::roflblack:

Cliff-Co.
09-03-2009, 03:09 PM
welcome GregD

As far as being reliable, time will tell. If I go by my experience the Spyder is just as reliable as any Honda.:thumbup:
Is rear tire valve stem located opposite drive belt, too check air pressue mor easily ??? :2thumbs:

Lamonster
09-03-2009, 04:58 PM
1.When are they available?
2. Is it or will it be equipped with plug-in intercom between ryder and passenger?

They should start shipping in Dec.

Yes they will have plug and play intercom.

Lamonster
09-03-2009, 04:59 PM
1) what type of hitch is on it? Will it fit the current spyder?

2) Have a look at that electric windshield and dash my hopes of a retrofit...LOL!

Thanks Lamont! Have fun with it. Im envious!
It's their hitch and it is swingarm mounted and will fit our Spyder.

No way on retro fitting anything that I can see so far.

Lamonster
09-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Bigger rear wheel sprockt?

Nope, same size.

Is there any difference in the gas tank location and amount of fuel it holds for longer touring runs?

Same size to but it should get the same mileage as ours. Around 32 mpg I'm guessing but I'll know for sure tomorrow.

It says gearing is the same. 28/79 or whatever it was.
I wonder what kind of gas milage to expect. The specs say 6.6 gal tank, that won't get to far at 20mpg. How quiet is it?

See above comment.

Will a full-size helmet still fit in the reconfigured front trunk?
Will a full-size helmet fit in the side and/or rear trunks?
Are the lights LED or incandescent?
What kind of financing will BRP offer?
Is there a BRP trade-up program?
Will service departments be thoroughly trained on this more-complex machine?
Front trunk is the same size. The side bags will fit a full face helmet
Lights are LED

Similar to LJ's questions: what components of the RT (bags, windshield, hitch, etc) will work with the current Spyders?
Just the hitch.

Do you know if they addressed the oil getting in the air box and did they redirect the fuel lines or did they protect them?

Is there still a strict Nanny onboard?

I love it and I'm really thinking about trading my 08 in for tour model. But I need to know MPG and if they made some of these corrections.

I'm thinking about waiting until 2011 and then, make the move.
Not sure on the oil in the airbox or the fuel lines.
Nanny should be a little better thanks to the fly by wire.

In the pics it looks like the rear view mirrors are right in front of your hands again. Did they modify this?
I'd also like to ask about the brakes as well. Chris56 already did.
Did they do anything different with the parking brake so it was more convenient to use and not so finicky with sticking?
And just as a side note...I wish they would have made it a 6 speed -- maybe get more mpg.

Mirrors are huge and look like they will work great. I was not looking at my hands. I'm told there is no vibration in them either.

Not sure about the brakes but the parking brake is operated by a switch now.

I was about to buy an 09 SE5 and set it up for "old guy" touring. Dealer was having trouble getting 3rd party accessories (Corbin, Floorboards, etc.). Looks like the RT will fill my needs nicely. One thing I would like to see on the RT is the Hand Brake. I spent many years on Trials and Enduro bikes. Would like to have that "front brake" lever up there. Old habits die hard. Missed it on my demo ride. Opps. Maybe the ISCI unit would work? Rather have a BRP option, if possible.
I've been following this site since June. Learned a lot. Hope the nagging problems are being fixed for you guys. I almost decided to pass on the Spyder, because of the dumb problems. I no longer have a fully equipped garage and am hoping for a reliable ride. We are light on dealers around here. That makes me nervous, but I'm ready to buy. Just in time for Colorado winter. 2010 models will be trouble free, just change the oil and ride. Right? So,Lamonster, you can put me down for a Hand Brake, and thank you, and all the other members for the great info.
:2excited:
The front brake is now being looked at as a option.

Don't know.

I have a few questions. Some folks stated that the "spy photo" RT looked like the engine cowls were larger than the original Spyder's cowls. I'm not sure I can tell a difference in the official RT photos. Are the cowls bigger and, if so, why? Is the new front end design just for looks or is it functional (better airflow, aerodynamics, etc.)? Does the new engine design have anything to do with fuel economy? IMO, fuel economy is a concern of those who do a lot of touring nowadays.

It pretty much is a one piece front now and it is much larger and channels the air to the radiator much better now. The hot air is kicked out to the side now too.

They say that one of the reasons is still gets about the same fuel mileage as ours is the aerodynamics.

Are they going to install a decent sounding twin exhaust, a muffler on each side, that has tuned headers? The headers, as you know, on the 08 and 09 leave a lot to be desired. One header pipe is about 12 inches and the other is 3 FT 4 inches, ie: 40 inches. Not real good for equalizing tuning.

They are talking about that too. Maybe next year.

BumbleBee
09-03-2009, 05:23 PM
They should start shipping in Dec.

Yes they will have plug and play intercom.

Thank-you very much for the answers :thumbup:

Questions
09-03-2009, 06:02 PM
They should offer something special to the :spyder:owners that were told that you were gone to get a PE edition 1 thrue 2500 and ended up with a number over 2500 we had to put our money up for almost a year and they handled it like Hurricane Katrina and never did a thing except some Bull :cus: press release that was supposed to fix everthing well it didn't at least not with me they would be more a value if they didn't srew up the roll out of the PE Edition :ani29: This has left a Bad taste in my mouth and feelings with doing buisness with BRP don't get me wrong I like my :spyder:I have to date purchased 14 H-Ds new some numbered and limited editions true numbers and never had a srcew like that a rain suit some ryding gear something beside a letter (email) until then I'm on the side lines :mad:
PE Edition 3433 out of 2500 Venting:gaah:

You can have the PE. I'll let them get the bugs worked out b4 I jump. Of course, I just got the one I have and the newness and novelty hasn't worn off yet.:f_spider:

Dukester
09-03-2009, 07:05 PM
What's a good guess on the annual maintenance cost of the RT?

Smylinacha
09-03-2009, 08:30 PM
No...but the squeak has a much throatier sound now. :joke:

:2thumbs::clap::roflblack::roflblack:

Smylinacha
09-03-2009, 08:33 PM

Have a safe ride!

3WD

Good one! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roflblack::roflblack::thumbup:

Extracool
09-03-2009, 09:56 PM
When is BRP going to get rid of the belt drive and put a drive shaft in so you don't have to adjust and worry about gravel?:thumbup:

q-brrr
09-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Does it look like one could put the RT handle bars and ignition shield on a 08-09?

pjense2002
09-04-2009, 02:53 AM
he said top dollar for mine in mint with corbin upgrades is 11000 what a joke

3wheeldemon
09-04-2009, 09:00 AM

Is not, I asked my dealer just for curiosity about RT interest, he toll me that, so far, ALL the requests he has for RT are trade-ins, no new customers (that will probably change once they are on display but, still, will put a lot of pressure on the resale price).

Keeping the thread on track: Great reporting job Lamonster :2thumbs:. We will live the "RT tester" life vicariously through your reports and will keep riding our good old SM/SEs!

3WD

Firefly
09-04-2009, 09:20 AM

Sorry to say--- but that's about right. Things like this depreciate like crazy during the first year of ownership. You can get a NEW 2008 right now for 11,300.

I think anyone hoping for a decent trade-in value is going to be sorely disappointed. I've got over $20,000 into mine and doubt I would get much more than $10,000 on the open market--- and less if doing a trade-in.

Firefly
09-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Is not, I asked my dealer just for curiosity about RT interest, he toll me that, so far, ALL the requests he has for RT are trade-ins, no new customers (that will probably change once they are on display but, still, will put a lot of pressure on the resale price).

Keeping the thread on track: Great reporting job Lamonster :2thumbs:. We will live the "RT tester" life vicariously through your reports and will keep riding our good old SM/SEs!

3WD

Doubtful that anyone other than current Spyder owners is aware of the RT right now. Once they get the pics and info out--- they will have plenty of interest from new owners.

The more people that trade in their Spyders -- the less they are going to be worth as the dealers will have too many used ones available.

RubyRed
09-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Doubtful that anyone other than current Spyder owners is aware of the RT right now. Once they get the pics and info out--- they will have plenty of interest from new owners.

The more people that trade in their Spyders -- the less they are going to be worth as the dealers will have too many used ones available.

I dont own a Spyder, but I do know about the RT... hahaha Just picking. :joke:

sabunim5
09-04-2009, 01:41 PM
I'd like to know if the air shock on the rear will fit the older models? Did they make any changes to the front shocks? Are they air also?
thanks for all the info you are providing :clap:

spyryder
09-04-2009, 03:05 PM
I see the sprockets are the same ratio, but I'm wondering if the ratios have been changed internally in the transmission? I've heard some reports of lower rpm's at hi-way speeds.:pray:

dltang
09-04-2009, 05:00 PM
I have a question Lamont. With the RT they have covered a number of the mods that many of us have done on our current spyders. One thing that I use a lot that I am wondering if they have addressed is the driver floorboards or extended footpegs. I just mine an awful lot on the long haul. I understand the new RT has a more relaxed foot position but I like to stretch my legs out when I am riding for a long period of time. Is it something that can be done with this bike or will it still need to be added on?

you24824
09-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Can I replace my handlebars with those? They seem taller and further back. Please research that. Looks are good, but I need function first.

Thanks, Bill:lecturef_smilie:

DannyS
09-05-2009, 02:50 PM
I know all the buzz is about the new RT but is there anything "new" about the new RS?:doorag:

WaltH
09-06-2009, 08:59 PM
On both of my SM5's the ambient temperature typically would read 5F degrees higher than actual while going down the road. When parked in the garage, before the engine was started, the temperature would be accurate. Have they corrected this problem on the new RT with its better air flow, etc.?

Do we still have the bar gauge for engine coolant temperature? Maybe an analog gauge?

Will you be pulling your trailer with the RT?

The website indicates that the RT-S has the electric shift as standard??? If this is true, why do you have a manual transmission? Because it is a prototype?

Are the saddlebags removable? If not, will they interfere with maintenance?

NancysToy
09-07-2009, 07:17 AM
The website indicates that the RT-S has the electric shift as standard??? If this is true, why do you have a manual transmission? Because it is a prototype?
I thought this at first, too, but if you look in the options list you will see that it is actually an option.

mjw930
09-07-2009, 07:20 AM
On both of my SM5's the ambient temperature typically would read 5F degrees higher than actual while going down the road. When parked in the garage, before the engine was started, the temperature would be accurate. Have they corrected this problem on the new RT with its better air flow, etc.?

Do we still have the bar gauge for engine coolant temperature? Maybe an analog gauge?

Will you be pulling your trailer with the RT?

Are the saddlebags removable? If not, will they interfere with maintenance?

If you recheck the site you'll see that the SE5 is available on the top two models but it's optional. The manual is standard on all models. The SE5 is a $1500 option.

Cambello
01-31-2014, 12:38 PM
HI, must have seen every clip on Youtube, great work, any way I have an 2010 RT premier and yesterday while I was pulling away (quite hard) my auto sequence gears didn't kick in, I was pulling 6k and nothing!!! when i revved down the gears changed as normal. gave me a bit of a shock, so at the next junction I changed up as I normally do and all was ok, So is this the norm?
Thanks

NancysToy
01-31-2014, 06:47 PM
HI, must have seen every clip on Youtube, great work, any way I have an 2010 RT premier and yesterday while I was pulling away (quite hard) my auto sequence gears didn't kick in, I was pulling 6k and nothing!!! when i revved down the gears changed as normal. gave me a bit of a shock, so at the next junction I changed up as I normally do and all was ok, So is this the norm?
Thanks

:oldpost: Best to start a new thread with your question.

palover
02-04-2014, 05:07 AM
I'm sure that some of these will be answered in the meeting but are there any other questions you want me to ask that you can't find the answer to on the website like the CB?

I have a 2012 RT and would like to change my oil and hydro. I do have the oil pan mod. Any suggestions on how to do it would be very appreciated. I had owened a RS and did not have a problem but the RT is a different story. I understand I must first elevate it.
Ed Tirk
egtmt@verizon.net

NancysToy
02-04-2014, 07:12 AM
I have a 2012 RT and would like to change my oil and hydro. I do have the oil pan mod. Any suggestions on how to do it would be very appreciated. I had owened a RS and did not have a problem but the RT is a different story. I understand I must first elevate it.
Ed Tirk
egtmt@verizon.net

:oldpost: I suggest you start a new thread.

bruiser
02-04-2014, 11:33 AM
I don't raise my RTs to change the oil. Oil drain pan fits under it ok. It is easier to raise it up if you can.

I agree with Scotty. If you have a question you can ask on the RT shop talk forum or RT general forum.

dandydon
02-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Would like to know how to hook up a battery tender to the 2014. I use battery tender or both my Goldwing and my 2010 RT. Just ordered the 2014 Limited today and asked that question and no one seemed to know.
Thanks.[
Dandy Don
QUOTE=Lamonster;138711]I'm sure that some of these will be answered in the meeting but are there any other questions you want me to ask that you can't find the answer to on the website like the CB?[/QUOTE]