PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake warning light

motoguzziman
03-21-2021, 02:27 PM
Just picked up my new Can Am Spyder RT. Two hour ride home and when I parked it the red warning light came on the dash. According to the book, it says that it has low brake fluid level. (Constant Red light). Took tupperware off and fluid levels are right even at the max mark. Not really interested in riding back two hours for something simple that I could fix.
Any ideas.

MONK
03-21-2021, 02:50 PM
If it came on when you shut it off, it probably just set the parking brake. Start it back up and hit the parking brake button, if the light goes out, you're fine. If it doesn't, call the dealer and have them come out to trailer it back to their dealer.

carsong
03-21-2021, 02:50 PM
I know how you feel. You probably tried this, already, but have you shut the bike down and restarted, from scratch? My parking brake light sometimes flashes, and the brake won't respond. If I shut down and start over, it all works correctly, again. Sort of like restarting your computer. That's the extent of my Spyder tech knowledge! :dontknow:

Bfromla
03-21-2021, 03:07 PM
Is the brake engaging /releasing properly? Mechanical inspection of cable & arm on the caliper, might just need adjustment.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-21-2021, 07:05 PM
The red light comes on to indicate the parking brake has been set. If you did that before you shut the engine off that's why it came on. If you did not hear a beeping sound when you turned the key off, the PB was set. If you don't set the PB and then turn the key off you'll get a beeping sound for about 20 seconds. At least that's the way it works on pre-2020 models.

K80Shooter
03-22-2021, 08:19 AM
The red light comes on to indicate the parking brake has been set. If you did that before you shut the engine off that's why it came on. If you did not hear a beeping sound when you turned the key off, the PB was set. If you don't set the PB and then turn the key off you'll get a beeping sound for about 20 seconds. At least that's the way it works on pre-2020 models.

Thats the way it is on the 2020+ models also.

motoguzziman
03-22-2021, 08:28 AM
Is the brake engaging /releasing properly? Mechanical inspection of cable & arm on the caliper, might just need adjustment.

It seems to be working OK. Just the warning light.

Snoking1127
03-22-2021, 08:50 AM
I believe you have dual brake reservoir with a low fluid level in sensor in each chamber. I would unplug and re-plug both of the wiring harness connectors for the sensors as a starting point.

Peter Aawen
03-22-2021, 11:49 AM
I believe you have dual brake reservoir with a low fluid level in sensor in each chamber. I would unplug and re-plug both of the wiring harness connectors for the sensors as a starting point.

Or maybe try just adding a smidge more brake fluid to each reservoir?! :dontknow: These Spyder/Ryker thingies are REEEEAAAALLLLYYY sensitive to low brake fluid levels, even just the tiniest amount! :rolleyes:

motoguzziman
03-22-2021, 12:29 PM

Tried unplugging and reconnecting. Still have the issue. Fluids are at the MAX line already so I dont think adding is going to do anything. Guess it might be a ride to the local dealer and see if I can get on their waiting list. Did not buy from local dealer because he did not have any left overs. Not sure how receptive he will be to warranty work.

Peter Aawen
03-22-2021, 12:45 PM
Tried unplugging and reconnecting. Still have the issue. Fluids are at the MAX line already so I dont think adding is going to do anything. Guess it might be a ride to the local dealer and see if I can get on their waiting list. Did not buy from local dealer because he did not have any left overs. Not sure how receptive he will be to warranty work.

Are you SURE of that?? :dontknow:

Many owners with brake warning lights &/or limp mode episodes have thought the same & reported so here, only to (eventually.... :rolleyes: ) resort to adding juuuust a smidge more brake fluid & suddenly their brake warning light issues disappear! :shocked:

It doesn't hafta be much, but surely adding just a little more brake fluid to see if it makes any difference is worth trying?! :dontknow: I may well be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, probably wouldn't be the last either - but what if it IS just a tiny amount low??.... :rolleyes:

Go On, be brave - just give it a go & see what happens. What've you really got to lose?! Could save you a ride to the dealer & all the faffing around that might entail.... and if it doesn't, then you've blown maybe as much as 1/2 a teaspoonful of brake fluid - what's that worth? But what if it DOES work?? ;)

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-22-2021, 12:45 PM
Just to be absolutely clear the light is on all the time, even when you are riding, correct?

motoguzziman
03-22-2021, 01:29 PM
No Goes off after releasing the brake

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-22-2021, 01:44 PM
No Goes off after releasing the brake

Then there is nothing wrong with it. If the light comes on when you set the brake, and off when you release it, that's the way it's supposed to work. It's only a problem if it doesn't turn off when you release the brake or doesn't turn off when you turn the ignition off. It's a multipurpose light! There should be complete explanations of its function in the section of the operator's manual that discusses the indicator lights.

motoguzziman
03-22-2021, 02:24 PM
Thanks. Ill have to look for that section. The only thing that I found was the same symbol that says if it is steady red then low brake fluid. I hate multifunctional lights. RED means a problem to me. Glad to hear I dont have an issue and that I can continue to enjoy the Spyder.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-22-2021, 02:33 PM
Thanks. Ill have to look for that section. The only thing that I found was the same symbol that says if it is steady red then low brake fluid. I hate multifunctional lights. RED means a problem to me. Glad to hear I dont have an issue and that I can continue to enjoy the Spyder.
Red usually means warning! Warning, your brake fluid is low! Warning, your parking brake is set so don't try to drive with it on! Warning, you're leaving your foot on the brake, stop it! I don't remember what else.

As has been said, the fluid level sensor is sensitive. If you park with the Spyder slightly downhill, like a sloped street edge next to a sidewalk, the fluid may drop low enough to trigger the warning. In that case move out onto a more level surface and turn the bike off, and then back on.

K80Shooter
03-23-2021, 09:05 AM
If the light goes off when you release the parking brake then it's working as it's supposed to. Nothing wrong.

JayBros
03-23-2021, 09:50 AM
Pages 16-17 of the 2020 and page 16 of the 2021 RT operator's guide, respectively, explain exactly what happens when you set and release the parking brake including what happens with the "brake indicator lamp" as BRP calls it.

IMNSHO, BRP does an absolutely crappy job drafting, editing and proofing its operator's guides. If you read the section on how the parking brake works you see that when you set the parking brake, according to BRP, the brake indicator lamp, "will turn on." To me, and the average operator, "turn on" means the light will come on solid and not blinking. If you then read the warning light indicators on pg 32-33 of the 2020 OG and pg 31 of the 2021 OG you see BRP has ****tified the explanation of how the brake indicator light works as a malfunction indicator when there wan no change from one MY to the next.