PDA

View Full Version : The Whine!

Airborne
03-21-2021, 01:45 AM
Hi all,

Last year i bought a new2020 RT LTD which had the annoyingly high whining noise near the front of the machine that I've read about on this site. Thing is i sold that bike for various reasons [nothing to do with the bike, i loved it, just not the whine]

I am now looking at getting a 2021, does anyone know if the problem was defiantly solved by BRP AND DO THE 21'S HAVE THE SAME ISSUE?????

Thanks

Valkrocket
03-21-2021, 05:23 AM
My 21 RTL does not have any noticeable whine. Then again I play my music so loud, I probably wouldn't here it. :ohyea:

PW2013STL
03-21-2021, 06:55 AM
Hi all,

Last year i bought a new2020 RT LTD which had the annoyingly high whining noise near the front of the machine that I've read about on this site. Thing is i sold that bike for various reasons [nothing to do with the bike, i loved it, just not the whine]

I am now looking at getting a 2021, does anyone know if the problem was defiantly solved by BRP AND DO THE 21'S HAVE THE SAME ISSUE?????

Thanks

BRP changed the front drive sprocket in September of 2020. If you get a 2021 made after that you should have the new sprocket that is designed to eliminate the noise. If unsure have the dealer check to make sure the sprocket is white on the one you are getting.

Highwayman2013
03-21-2021, 07:36 AM
I just rode a 2021 RT at a Demo Day event a couple weeks ago. It did have a whine like described above. If I had one I'm sure I would get used to it. It may just take some miles for the belt to wear in.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-21-2021, 08:59 AM
Hi all,

Thanks

Being able to EXACTLY locate various sounds is quite difficult ..... badly aligned drive belt could have been the cause or the tension of that belt ..... sometimes there is no magic bullet ...... Cheers .... Mike :thumbup:

RICZ
03-21-2021, 10:43 AM
I had the whine but it went away when I took the front Kendas off and replaced them with Federal Formoza tires. A vibration went away too!

Rocketman 2012
03-21-2021, 02:48 PM
My new 2021 RT SE6 has no Whine but if it did I'd have some Cheese with it as a bonus!

Sam:)

Airborne
03-21-2021, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the input guy's.

I saw the Smak's video on you tube where he says it is an issue with air flow through or near the front sprocket and although he initially though it just characteristics of the bike i also read that BRP were now replacing the front sprocket but nothing definite. Anyone else have this issue or heard about the fix, just to confirm.

I'll send over some nice Aussie cheese to go with your whine.

Airborne
03-21-2021, 09:34 PM
BRP changed the front drive sprocket in September of 2020. If you get a 2021 made after that you should have the new sprocket that is designed to eliminate the noise. If unsure have the dealer check to make sure the sprocket is white on the one you are getting.

Thanks Mate,

I suspect your answer is the correct one but are you definite on that, its only the second time I've heard it after searching the internet. Paying $42000+ for a whine like that puts me off.

It wasn't Tyres or anything else, i had a 18 F3 LTD before it with no issues.

Peter Aawen
03-22-2021, 01:03 AM
Thanks Mate,

I suspect your answer is the correct one but are you definite on that, its only the second time I've heard it after searching the internet. Paying $42000+ for a whine like that puts me off.

It wasn't Tyres or anything else, i had a 18 F3 LTD before it with no issues.

Quite a few posts/threads here confirming this - the later 2021 models got the 'upgrade white sprocket' to eliminate this noise! :ohyea:

Airborne
03-22-2021, 02:25 AM
Quite a few posts/threads here confirming this - the later 2021 models got the 'upgrade white sprocket' to eliminate this noise! :ohyea:

Thanks for that Peter, a fountain of knowledge, as usual.

Plarimer
03-22-2021, 06:02 AM
I to have the same whine on my 2016 RT. I believe it comes from the front tires as they are stock. It only occurs between about 35 and 45 miles an hour. But, who drives that slow?

milryder
03-22-2021, 07:22 AM
Dealer replacing my early '21 front sprocket under warranty.

ARtraveler
03-22-2021, 10:19 AM
My new 2021 RT SE6 has no Whine but if it did I'd have some Cheese with it as a bonus!

Sam:)

You beat me to it. When I first read the title, I was also going to make some kind of a comment about wine. :roflblack:

ollicat
03-22-2021, 12:33 PM
I have a 2021 late and between 48 - 52, I get the whirling sound like a tornado siren. Every time I hear it I have to remind myself not to seek shelter.

fantinjaf
03-22-2021, 12:43 PM
I have a 2020 RTL that I bought in Oct 2020. I noticed the whine at 50-54 mph. I did some research on this site and found out about the front sprocket issue. I brought my bike back into the dealer to have armrests and a hitch put on and at that time I asked about the sprocket issue and explained my findings. The dealer looked into it and advised me that BRP was aware of the issue and they were coming out with a different front sprocket. He put in an order for it and it came in around February and they replaced it under warranty. I have ridden it only 2-3 times due to weather here in Michigan but the whine is gone. :2thumbs: