PDA

View Full Version : RT is keeping me awake

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 04:59 AM
Well I can't stop thinking about the RT. nojoke
As you know it's taking me a long time to get my Spyder where I like it. Mine is built for the long haul Lamonster style now and there's not a whole lot I can do to it to make it any better. I have been all over this country on my Spyder and have done so solo. I have no need for a rear seat because I have no one to share the road with. :(

I see the RT as a tool to get my wife to ride with me again. Her big thing is safety and comfort. The RT looks to be the King of this. The Spyder is by far the safest open air vehicle on the road and the RT looks to have all the comfort of a Goldwing and then some. Heated grips for the passenger, how cool is that? :doorag:

My Spyder will be for me but I can see a RT being for us. Those of you that share the open air with your S.O. really have something very special and I hope someday I will have that too. nojoke

The_Spyderwoman
09-02-2009, 05:04 AM
Morning!

My husband is REALLY thinking on this one....Goldwing vs RT......can't wait to see it in person. His only concern is the engine size.

hammer663
09-02-2009, 05:14 AM
Lamont, I understand your wifes feelings. I was a anti-biker, scared to death of motorcycles but you are completely right about the spyder. It was the safety that drew me to it (that and the fact that it looks like a snowmobile on wheels)LOL.I do feel blessed that Billy and I love to ride together. We cant wait to see the RT also. If you here of anywhere in New England that will be showing it can you let us know?
thanks
Bill and Lisa
PS. Just found out that we can not make the smokies rally due to work>:gaah::mad:So maybe we will catch you at another spyder event.

BumbleBee
09-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Same here. I really like the looks of the RT. Safety was a big thing for me also, is why I went with a spyder in the first place.
Rear seat is good for me. I pick-up our son from school, so that works out fine for me.

Only problem would be the color for me, it would have to be yellow. I love the blue color. Blue or silver would look kind of funny for a BumbleBee :roflblack:

I already send in for my quote.
I can see a RT in my garage.:thumbup:

Mo Lee
09-02-2009, 05:18 AM
The way I see it, my opinion only, is it will need a larger more powerful engine something with more than 2 cylinders that will last thousands of miles, maybe even pass the nickel test (Lamonster will know what I mean), in order to really capture the touring market. I my case the main reason for buying the Spyder was the Hot Rod in it, and I suspect the same goes true for a lot of you.

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 05:28 AM
The way I see it, my opinion only, is it will need a larger more powerful engine something with more than 2 cylinders that will last thousands of miles, maybe even pass the nickel test (Lamonster will know what I mean), in order to really capture the touring market. I my case the main reason for buying the Spyder was the Hot Rod in it, and I suspect the same goes true for a lot of you.

I had 55,000 miles on my Valk in 5 years before I blew the motor with my flame throwers. :opps: I had 20,000 miles on my M109R before I spun a rod bearing and blew that motor. :gaah:
I have 40,000+ miles on this Spyder in 19 months of riding and it seems to be holding up just fine. I have not been kind to this Spyder and it still runs like a teenager. :doorag:

I would love a bigger motor too in the RT but I'm guessing that BRP has done the math and this motor works. Heck they think it has enough power to offer a towing package with a rated 400lb capacity.
Right now I can't say that the Spyder is under powered.

The 2010 Can-Am Spyder RT will still source a variation of the Rotax V-Twin found in Aprilia sportbikes, a liquid-cooled, 998cc V-Twin with multi-port, electronically fuel-injected 57mm throttle bodies. The Spyder RT’s Rotax 991 engine has been retuned to handle the demands of the additional weight of the touring package and a passenger, with three lb-ft more torque coming on at 750 rpm lower in the powerband. To go along with more grunt down low, its gasses will be squeezed at a higher compression ratio of 12.2:1 compared to last year’s 10.8:1. But peak horsepower has been trimmed down, with its top numbers ringing in at six ponies less and coming on 1000 rpm earlier in the rev range. (Claimed 2009 Max Output 106 hp @ 8500rpm - 2010 Max Output 100 hp @ 7500rpm)

BLACK WIDOW
09-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Morning!

My husband is REALLY thinking on this one....Goldwing vs RT......can't wait to see it in person. His only concern is the engine size.

I really think that there will be engine options down the road, I would guess the 2012 model will have a different engine. Personally I would be reluctant to buy one now because of that. Not saying that the current engine won't do what most people want, but would be nice with a Goldwing type power plant.nojoke

Michael:doorag:

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 05:40 AM
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/731/4464/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-First-Look.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/2010_Can_Am_RT_S_RT.jpg

dave01
09-02-2009, 05:41 AM
That Black RT with the trailer option is killing me. I could really enjoy some coast to coast riding on it.
The new dash looks great, along with the suspension and sound system.

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 05:49 AM
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/731/4464/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Can-Am-Spyder-RT-First-Look.aspx

Engine - BRP-Rotax
Type – 991 V-Twin DOHC w/ 4 valves per cylinder
Displacement - 998cc - (60.90 cu. in.)
Bore/Stroke - 97 mm X 68mm (3.82 X 2.68 in.)
Max output - 100 hp @ 7500 RPM
Max torque - 80 lb-ft. @ 5500 RPM
Compression ratio - 12.2:1
Ignition type - Electronic ignition
Exhaust system - 2-into-1 with catalytic converter
Cooling - Liquid-cooled
Injection - Multi-point EFI w/ 57mm throttle bodies
Gear box - 5-Speed manual (SM5) with remote electronic reverse interlock or
5-Speed semi-automatic (SE5) with remote electronic reverse interlock
Final Drive - 28/79 ratio final drive with Kevlar-reinforced drive belt
Clutch - Wet, multi-plate, manual operation through a hydraulic piston
Electric Equipment - Magneto - 650 Watts
Starter - Electric
Front suspension - Double A-Arm with anti-roll bar
Front suspension travel - 5.94 in. (151 mm) gas shocks with 5-position cam adjustment
Rear suspension - Swing-arm with monoshock
Rear suspension travel - 5.71 in. (145 mm) with pneumatic adjustable preload
Chassis - SST Spyder (Surrounding Spar Technology)
Front tire - KR21 165/65R14
Rear tire - KR21 225/50R15
Wheel size, front - Aluminum 14x5 (355x127)
Wheel size, rear - Aluminum 15x7 (381x178)
Brake Type - Foot-actuated, fully integrated hydraulic 3-wheel braking system
Front braking system - 4 piston calipers, 31.75 mm diameter, 250mm x 6mm disc
Rear braking system - Single-piston sliding pins caliper 38.1mm diameter, 250 mm x 6 mm disc
ABS - Anti-lock Braking System
Parking brake - Electro-mechanical park brake system with actuator on the rear caliper
Dry weight - 929 lb. (421 kg)
Front max load capacity - 30 lb. (15.9 kg)
Total vehicle load allowed - 525 lb. - (240 kg)
Trailer towing capacity - 400 lb. (181.4 kg)
Fuel capacity - 6.6 US gal. (25 l)
Oil capacity - 0.9 US gal. (3.5 l)
GVWR - 1,188 lb. (540 kg)
Ground clearance - 4.5 in. (115 mm)
Vehicle overall height - 45.1 in. (1,145 mm)
Vehicle overall length - 105 in. (2,667 mm)
Vehicle overall width - 62.3 in. (1,582 mm)
Seat (top) height - 29.5 in. (750 mm)
Wheelbase - 69.8 in. (1,773 mm)
Wheel track, front - 54.5 in. (1,384 mm)
Storage Capacity
Total - 40.95 US gal. (155 l)
Front - 15.32 US gal. (58 l)
Glove box - 0.53 US gal. (2 l)
Left cargo - 6.87 US gal. (26 l)
Right cargo - 6.87 US gal. (26 l)
Rear cargo - 11.36 US gal. (43 l)
Instrumentation
Dual analog and color dot-matrix display w/speedometer, tachometer, engine temperature, fuel gauge, gear position, odometer, trip meter, hour meter, ambient temperature
Convenience
High windshield with electric height adjustment, driver wind deflectors, electronic cruise control, electronic parking brake, heated driver handlebar grips, RT premium saddle with passenger backrest and driver lumbar rest, passenger peg, passenger armrests, Roadster Electronic Command Centre (RECC) with LED accent lighting, auxiliary 12V power socket in rear top cargo, trailer lock (barrel)
Two-year warranty

Bersquack
09-02-2009, 06:14 AM
I need to win the powerball.

Roaddog2
09-02-2009, 06:37 AM
I need to win the powerball.+1 I'm realey diggin the trailer :ani29:

Frig
09-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Ryding with my wife was the whole reason for buying the spyder. She hated the lean of motorcycles. She sat on mine for a total of 5 seconds in the garage. When I saw the spyder, I knew she could handle it. NJ Ernie was so nice as to let me test ride his and then took my wife for a spin. She didn't have the stupid grin I had but she was ok with it. I bought my spyder and her ryding gear a week later. But I understand that if someone doesn't like, you can't make them want to ryde. Good luck. Hopefully she'll come around.

bjt
09-02-2009, 06:58 AM
... I see the RT as a tool to get my wife to ride with me again. Her big thing is safety and comfort. The RT looks to be the King of this. The Spyder is by far the safest open air vehicle on the road and the RT looks to have all the comfort of a Goldwing and then some. Heated grips for the passenger, how cool is that? :doorag:

My Spyder will be for me but I can see a RT being for us. Those of you that share the open air with your S.O. really have something very special and I hope someday I will have that too. nojoke

Maybe the RT will be the one bro. :pray:

ptoemmes
09-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Obvious the passenger - now footboards - are adjustable.

Hard to tell what has been done to the driver foot placement. In the video it looks more relaxed, but not clear to me.

Any closeups of the driver foot "rests", brake pedal and SE5 shifter (re)locations?

Pete

BumbleBee
09-02-2009, 07:04 AM
I always seen that stupid grin on my husband's face (always puzzled me). When I sat with him as a passenger, there was no thrill for me. Did not like the leaning. Matter of fact, I hated it.

Never pictured myself as a biker chic (I am too girly),or ryding bikes, now look at me :yes:

Now on my spyder, I wear that stupid grin, and loving every bit of it. :D

tjfischer
09-02-2009, 07:45 AM
There is alot of talk about the engine size, and worry about the power. All the while it is still being compared to a current model Goldwing.

I look at it this way, those of you old enough to remember, may relate. When Honda first rolled out the Goldwing, it was only a 1000cc motorcyle. But it very quickly became the luxury ride for the touring folks. Back then it did not have as many bells and whistles as now. Heck I remember helping my father put Air shocks on his to improve the comfort of the ride, (also so he could touch the ground :roflblack:).

Honda has taken 30+ year to get the Goldwing where it is. BRP has release the first Vehicle that can really compete with the Goldwing in Just 3 years.

Is the engine undersized? Maybe. but not for the first release of a Ultra Touring machine. I'm sure it will be about 3 - 4 days before we start hearing some solid reviews, from some solid people that know the Spyder.

tatt2r
09-02-2009, 07:48 AM
I think your right Lamont if my girl didn't have her own and we are planning some long trips in the future I could see me getting one but if it's just me on it solo I'll keep why I have Because for what it is it has goldwing beat 10 to 1

DynamoBT
09-02-2009, 07:56 AM
With motorcycles I'm a naked standard fan. So the RT version of the Spyder is WAY more than I would ever need. No question though that it is going to be serious competition for other touring setups out there. Does anything else have a factory trailer option? I don't think so off hand.

So even though the RT doesn't do it for me, I think BRP hit a homerun with it. Wait until people who never thought the Spyder would interest them ride it. I think they are going to be swept off their feet.

Yup, BRP has been paying attention to what long haul riders have done with ther original Spyders. You have to admire a company that observes its customers and then makes marketing decisions so decisively. I've always thought BRP was on the cutting edge. The Spyder is absolutely innovative. Now they have taken it to the next step. The RT is a winner. For all our sakes I hope the RT is a big success. Dealerships need business to stay in business for those of us who rely on them.

Good Luck BRP with the RT!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 08:36 AM
With motorcycles I'm a naked standard fan. So the RT version of the Spyder is WAY more than I would ever need. No question though that it is going to be serious competition for other touring setups out there. Does anything else have a factory trailer option? I don't think so off hand.

So even though the RT doesn't do it for me, I think BRP hit a homerun with it. Wait until people who never thought the Spyder would interest them ride it. I think they are going to be swept off their feet.

Yup, BRP has been paying attention to what long haul riders have done with ther original Spyders. You have to admire a company that observes its customers and then makes marketing decisions so decisively. I've always thought BRP was on the cutting edge. The Spyder is absolutely innovative. Now they have taken it to the next step. The RT is a winner. For all our sakes I hope the RT is a big success. Dealerships need business to stay in business for those of us who rely on them.

Good Luck BRP with the RT!!!:clap::clap::clap:

You make a good point about the RT being a success. It's good for all Spyder owners if the RT is a hit. This will prompt them to maybe take a harder look at a real sport version that maybe has a little less vss and a little more HP. :doorag: More Spyder choices is a good thing. :2thumbs:

Greg H.
09-02-2009, 08:52 AM
That is really nice! I bet that will be very near $30,000 w/trailer. Or, maybe more?

BillGargan
09-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Lamont, I understand your wifes feelings. I was a anti-biker, scared to death of motorcycles but you are completely right about the spyder. It was the safety that drew me to it (that and the fact that it looks like a snowmobile on wheels)LOL.I do feel blessed that Billy and I love to ride together. We cant wait to see the RT also. If you here of anywhere in New England that will be showing it can you let us know?
thanks
Bill and Lisa
PS. Just found out that we can not make the smokies rally due to work>:gaah::mad:So maybe we will catch you at another spyder event.

There is an RT demo in Concord NH 9/23 to 9/26. Details and signups are on the BRP website. I will be there on the 26th.

Greg H.
09-02-2009, 09:12 AM
929 lbs. With no more HP, that weight difference will be noticed, I bet.

But................ 'The Spyder RT’s Rotax 991 engine has been retuned to handle the demands of the additional weight of the touring package and a passenger, with three lb-ft more torque coming on at 750 rpm lower in the powerband. To go along with more grunt down low, its gasses will be squeezed at a higher compression ratio of 12.2:1 compared to last year’s 10.8:1. But peak horsepower has been trimmed down, with its top numbers ringing in at six ponies less and coming on 1000 rpm earlier in the rev range. (Claimed 2009 Max Output 106 hp @ 8500rpm - 2010 Max Output 100 hp @ 7500rpm)'

3wheeldemon
09-02-2009, 09:41 AM
...and I hope someday I will have that too. nojoke

Sell us reservations for the first edition of your coming book "Spyder Tips and Tricks, Lamonster Style" and buy a RT!

3WD

DynamoBT
09-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Bill, you going to do the Demo Ryde and Freedom Cycle? I had thought about going up one day. It honestly didn't dawn on me to sign up for the Demo.

YET!!!

Duh!

I haven't looked at what days of the week. But this will probably be our one chance in NE to ryde the new Spyders. I will definitely be signing up for one day or another!

ElkSpyder
09-02-2009, 12:43 PM
I need to win the powerball.
Only if your willing to share, I would be willing to move up to this one, and maybe get the wife to ride with.
If I win I'll share with you Bersquack.

Bersquack
09-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Only if your willing to share, I would be willing to move up to this one, and maybe get the wife to ride with.
If I win I'll share with you Bersquack.

Deal, if I win I'll buy you one and vice-versa!

shauna
09-02-2009, 01:30 PM
I just want the trailer.

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
I just want the trailer.
I think you can get it color matched for $3999.00

shauna
09-02-2009, 01:47 PM
How do I find out about purchasing the trailer?

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 02:07 PM
How do I find out about purchasing the trailer?
These will be sold through your Spyder dealer.

QuadManiac
09-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Wanna bet the 'Nanny' on the RT senses that the trailer is plugged in and changes VSS, ABS, etc., parameters automatically (as is currently done via the pillion seat switch for passengers)? Wonder whether BRP will want to sell trailers to us SE/SM owners whose computers don't have that capability. Or, do I sense a software upgrade to provide that capability for the SE/SM that comes with hitch/trailer purchase? (heck, for all we know, they may have buried in the steering software upgrade already - planning ahead?)

Greg H.
09-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I think you can get it color matched for $3999.00

Ouch!!! :shocked: And, how much is a Bushtec trailer w/hitch, etc,,,?

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Hitch was $550 I think and the trailer was $6000.00 without the custom paint.

hawkiii
09-02-2009, 02:45 PM
I want the hitch and trailer for my 2008 SE5, but I could really be talked into buying one of the RTs. Wonder what the trade in on mine would be?

BLACK WIDOW
09-02-2009, 02:52 PM
I want the hitch and trailer for my 2008 SE5, but I could really be talked into buying one of the RTs. Wonder what the trade in on mine would be?

If it is like cars or other motorcycles I have owned you will be dissapointed.:shocked:Especially if your dealer has 08's and 9's still on the floor.nojoke

Smylinacha
09-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Well I can't stop thinking about the RT. nojoke
As you know it's taking me a long time to get my Spyder where I like it. Mine is built for the long haul Lamonster style now and there's not a whole lot I can do to it to make it any better. I have been all over this country on my Spyder and have done so solo. I have no need for a rear seat because I have no one to share the road with. :(

I see the RT as a tool to get my wife to ride with me again. Her big thing is safety and comfort. The RT looks to be the King of this. The Spyder is by far the safest open air vehicle on the road and the RT looks to have all the comfort of a Goldwing and then some. Heated grips for the passenger, how cool is that? :doorag:

I think that is a very nice reason why you want the RT!:thumbup::2thumbs: I'll tell ya, that is why sometimes I leave my :spyder:behind and hop on the back of HDX's Harley. Sometimes I just like riding WITH him. I mean we ride together on both bikes but having the most important person in the world to you sitting right next to you is awesome!

Greg H.
09-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Hitch was $550 I think and the trailer was $6000.00 without the custom paint.

I had no idea. I guess the BRP trailer price isn't too bad, then. Thanks Lamont!

bjt
09-02-2009, 05:41 PM

You can get into a brand new Bushtec Roadstar trailer for about $2500 (at least that was the price last fall). The price goes up from there in options (paint, wheels, extra lighting, accessories, etc.) and trailer model / size (Turbo +2 or Quantum). We did pay $550 for the hitch last fall. I think $6000 for a Bushtec is the top of the line Quantum GL with a lot of options added. We priced out the used Roadstar that we got for dltang and that trailer would cost around $4000 today with all the options that are on it.

dave01
09-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Couldnt take it anymore. Called my local dealer and got my name in for the all black model, with matching trailer:clap:

Now, the waiting begins...........................................

docdoru
09-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Couldnt take it anymore. Called my local dealer and got my name in for the all black model, with matching trailer:clap:

Now, the waiting begins...........................................

:2thumbs: :congrats:

dave01
09-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks Doc. Now to sell off the Turbo Busa and Spyder...LOL

Greg H.
09-02-2009, 06:03 PM
You can get into a brand new Bushtec Roadstar trailer for about $2500 (at least that was the price last fall). The price goes up from there in options (paint, wheels, extra lighting, accessories, etc.) and trailer model / size (Turbo +2 or Quantum). We did pay $550 for the hitch last fall. I think $6000 for a Bushtec is the top of the line Quantum GL with a lot of options added. We priced out the used Roadstar that we got for dltang and that trailer would cost around $4000 today with all the options that are on it.

I sure don't know where I got the idea that I could get a trailer for around $1,000! Lol! 'must have come to me in a dream, or something. I think now, I'll
just aim for a set of the Givi bags. Those should do nicely for my needs.

redspyderlady
09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
I wonder if the handlebars will be raised and the footpegs would placed in a more comfortable position. Couldn't tell from the pictures. Looks good though :clap:

Lamonster
09-02-2009, 06:34 PM
I wonder if the handlebars will be raised and the footpegs would placed in a more comfortable position. Couldn't tell from the pictures. Looks good though :clap:
How about I bring it by and show you. :doorag:

retread
09-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Check out the Piggybacker, nice for the price, about $900 delivered. Not much style, though.

john

Ken5517 / Wish Again
09-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Good for you Doc, let us know when they say it will arrive in the fall

docdoru
09-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Good for you Doc, let us know when they say it will arrive in the fall

Same city and state, but the :congrats: goes to Dave01 :thumbup:

docdoru
09-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Ken5517 / Wish Again

Congratulations to you being part of the RT5! Now you have no excuses not to rYde your RT to Florida and show us (East Coast non VIP ryders) how to add miles on our Spyders :bowdown:

Some Guy
09-02-2009, 07:17 PM
You can get into a brand new Bushtec Roadstar trailer for about $2500 .

What?! From the videos on this site, I thought you could into a new Bushtec trailer with a BFH...a.k.a. a big freaking hammer! :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

I know...I'm soooo bad! :yikes:

Ken5517 / Wish Again
09-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Ken5517 / Wish Again

Congratulations to you being part of the RT5! Now you have no excuses not to rYde your RT to Florida and show us (East Coast non VIP ryders) how to add miles on our Spyders :bowdown:
Congrat to Dave

If you were to order one I just want you to know Doc that BRP is giving me ahead start on you so that it will take you longer than 60 days to catch my mileage.

I am thinking about Florida :ohyea:

We do have a dealer out here that will match your down payment up to $1,000 for a pre order RT

nickcaro
09-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Whoa!!

I spend a few days out in north west Maine, unplugged and come back to find all this!!

Nice!!

Bring on the RT!

....now I have to get myself caught up on all the details.

docdoru
09-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Congrat to Dave

If you were to order one I just want you to know Doc that BRP is giving me ahead start on you so that it will take you longer than 60 days to catch my mileage.

I like that you have BRP on your side, now that I add few miles since LA...

ataDude
09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I sure don't know where I got the idea that I could get a trailer for around $1,000! Lol! 'must have come to me in a dream, or something....

I know where.... Harbor Freight. :yikes:

jedd
09-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Whoa!!

I spend a few days out in north west Maine, unplugged and come back to find all this!!

Nice!!

Bring on the RT!

....now I have to get myself caught up on all the details.
Dude you gotta get off the seat from time to time and check in--all you need is a more comfortable :spyder2: --we won't hear from you then till 100,000 miles.:roflblack::roflblack: how many now 60,000 + ? :yikes::thumbup:

wolfshead1
09-02-2009, 10:05 PM
You will love the trailer.$4K is alot of dough but it is truly a well made unit.Will hold 2 sets of clubs plus all the luggage.BRP says it connects to the Spyder and adjusts the Spyder automatically.

The R/T will be a hit.I noticed some power loss but hey with 2up and 300 more pounds it stepped smartly around D.C.All the colors are cool fit and finish is great!

I will review better after I sleep from long drive.It was worth it.

BRPjunkie
09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
You will love the trailer.$4K is alot of dough but it is truly a well made unit.Will hold 2 sets of clubs plus all the luggage.BRP says it connects to the Spyder and adjusts the Spyder automatically.

The R/T will be a hit.I noticed some power loss but hey with 2up and 300 more pounds it stepped smartly around D.C.All the colors are cool fit and finish is great!

I will review better after I sleep from long drive.It was worth it.

Can you confirm if the hitch is swingarm mount?

Firefly
09-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Can you confirm if the hitch is swingarm mount?

I don't think they would mount to the swingarm....

That trailer looks much larger than many I've seen out here--- if it's in the $4-$5K range with the hitch--- that's a pretty good deal.

spyryder
09-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Been verified.....it IS swingarm mounted.

Firefly
09-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Been verified.....it IS swingarm mounted.

WOW---- that's pretty shocking. How was this 'verified'?

spyryder
09-02-2009, 10:33 PM
WOW---- that's pretty shocking. How was this 'verified'?
Check Spydertalk:f_spider:

Duc_B
09-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Darn it, I just put down the cash for a 08.. Now BRP had to come out with the RT.. Damn them I say but hey look on the bright side non RT owners. We will smoke them at the light and on the freeways...:thumbup: since they are umm like " cough cough " 1000lbs :roflblack:..

BajaRon
09-02-2009, 11:24 PM
The RT has some interesting numbers when compared to the SM-5 / SE-5

I've listed the differences in RED below.

As mentioned before, less HP, more Torque and everthing happens quite a bit lower in the RPM range. That is a real plus for this configuration.

Compression is up a whopping 1.4:1. That is quite a bit. I notice there was no fuel recommendation. Here we go again!

The front stance is 3" wider. That will really give a stable foot print.

Interesting that the brake rotors are listed as 10mm smaller. Not significant and I wonder if one of the specs is off as I don't see BRP putting smaller rotors on, or different rotors on if they are that close.

The S-model lists 7.13 gals of fuel and the RT 6.6 gals. I think the S-model is listing total air space and the RT is listing a more accurate fuel space. I'd bet they use the same tank.

The RT also specs out less oil capacity than the S-model. What is that all about?

The RT starts out a whopping 232 lbs heavier with a higher max load rating. Yet the GVWR is the same for both models. That puzzles me.

Engine - BRP-Rotax
Type – 991 V-Twin DOHC w/ 4 valves per cylinder
Displacement - 998cc - (60.90 cu. in.)
Bore/Stroke - 97 mm X 68mm (3.82 X 2.68 in.)
Max output - 100 hp @ 7500 RPM - Minus 6hp @ 1,000 RPM Lower
Max torque - 80 lb-ft. @ 5500 RPM - Plus 3 ft, lb's @ 700 RPM Lower
Compression ratio - 12.2:1 - Plus 1.4:1
Ignition type - Electronic ignition
Exhaust system - 2-into-1 with catalytic converter
Cooling - Liquid-cooled
Injection - Multi-point EFI w/ 57mm throttle bodies
Gear box - 5-Speed manual (SM5) with remote electronic reverse interlock or
5-Speed semi-automatic (SE5) with remote electronic reverse interlock
Final Drive - 28/79 ratio final drive with Kevlar-reinforced drive belt
Clutch - Wet, multi-plate, manual operation through a hydraulic piston
Electric Equipment - Magneto - 650 Watts - Plus 150 Watts
Starter - Electric
Front suspension - Double A-Arm with anti-roll bar
Front suspension travel - 5.94 in. (151 mm) gas shocks with 5-position cam adjustment - Plus 0.27 in. travel (5.67 S-model)
Rear suspension - Swing-arm with monoshock
Rear suspension travel - 5.71 in. (145 mm) with pneumatic adjustable preload - Same travel but added Air Adjust
Chassis - SST Spyder (Surrounding Spar Technology)
Front tire - KR21 165/65R14
Rear tire - KR21 225/50R15
Wheel size, front - Aluminum 14x5 (355x127)
Wheel size, rear - Aluminum 15x7 (381x178)
Brake Type - Foot-actuated, fully integrated hydraulic 3-wheel braking system
Front braking system - 4 piston calipers, 31.75 mm diameter, 250mm x 6mm disc - (S-model listed as 260mm x 6mm)
Rear braking system - Single-piston sliding pins caliper 38.1mm diameter, 250 mm x 6 mm disc - (S-model listed as 260mm x 6mm)
ABS - Anti-lock Braking System
Parking brake - Electro-mechanical park brake system with actuator on the rear caliper - Not sure what 'Electro' means but that is different
Dry weight - 929 lb. (421 kg) - Plus 232 lbs
Front max load capacity - 30 lb. (15.9 kg)
Total vehicle load allowed - 525 lb. - (240 kg) - Plus 85 lbs
Trailer towing capacity - 400 lb. (181.4 kg) - All New!
Fuel capacity - 6.6 US gal. (25 l) S-model says 7.13, think this is apples and oranges - Must be same tank
Oil capacity - 0.9 US gal. (3.5 l) - S-model states 1.19 US gal.
GVWR - 1,188 lb. (540 kg) - Same GVWR ???
Ground clearance - 4.5 in. (115 mm)
Vehicle overall height - 45.1 in. (1,145 mm)
Vehicle overall length - 105 in. (2,667 mm)
Vehicle overall width - 62.3 in. (1,582 mm) - Plus 3 in.
Seat (top) height - 29.5 in. (750 mm) - Plus 0.5 in.
Wheelbase - 69.8 in. (1,773 mm) - Plus 1.8 in.
Wheel track, front - 54.5 in. (1,384 mm) - Plus 3 in.

dave01
09-03-2009, 03:40 AM
Didnt notice the wider stance. Now I will have to cut out the door opening on the SpyderCave ( aka portable building) that I just purchased last week to keep the Spyder safe at the NC cabin. A good project for next month...LOL

spyryder
09-03-2009, 06:19 PM

As mentioned before, less HP, more Torque and everthing happens quite a bit lower in the RPM range. That is a real plus for this configuration.

Compression is up a whopping 1.4:1. That is quite a bit. I notice there was no fuel recommendation. Here we go again!

Interesting that the brake rotors are listed as 10mm smaller. Not significant and I wonder if one of the specs is off as I don't see BRP putting smaller rotors on, or different rotors on if they are that close.

The S-model lists 7.13 gals of fuel and the RT 6.6 gals. I think the S-model is listing total air space and the RT is listing a more accurate fuel space. I'd bet they use the same tank.

The RT also specs out less oil capacity than the S-model. What is that all about?

The RT starts out a whopping 232 lbs heavier with a higher max load rating. Yet the GVWR is the same for both models. That puzzles me.

Noticed a difference in wheelbase....while the R/T-S is longer than the stock Spyder, the other two R/T'S actually have a shorter wheelbase at 67.2 inches. .8 of an inch SHORTER than the regular Spyder!

Firefly
09-03-2009, 07:04 PM

All of the RT models with the 991 engine require 91 octane--- it's in the brochure and on the website.....

redspyderlady
09-03-2009, 08:07 PM
How about I bring it by and show you. :doorag:

That would be great:clap:

dave01
09-04-2009, 08:48 AM
[quote=BajaRon;139127]The RT has some interesting numbers when compared to the SM-5 / SE-5

Looks like I will need a new trailer to haul it in, a new storage shed to put it in in NC. Man, the cost is adding up..LOL

docdoru
09-04-2009, 08:53 AM
[quote=BajaRon;139127]The RT has some interesting numbers when compared to the SM-5 / SE-5

Looks like I will need a new trailer to haul it in, a new storage shed to put it in in NC. Man, the cost is adding up..LOL

Trading in for the RT and still want to trailer it? :yikes:

dave01
09-04-2009, 09:24 AM
[quote=dave01;139713]

Trading in for the RT and still want to trailer it? :yikes:

LOL, only when I go to Texas for a month. Would be nice to have something i can take a few friends to dinner with.

BajaRon
09-04-2009, 09:30 AM
All of the RT models with the 991 engine require 91 octane--- it's in the brochure and on the website.....

It's funny that BRP feels the need to play with the displacement numbers.

Spyder SM5 & SE5
Actual Displacment 998cc - Called 990

Spyder RT
Actual Displacment 998cc - Called 991

Aprilia Motorcycle
Actual Displacement 998cc - Called 1000

Same actual displacment, 3 different numbers. Why?

Firefly
09-04-2009, 09:34 AM
It's funny that BRP feels the need to play with the displacement numbers.

Spyder SM5 & SE5
Actual Displacment 998cc - Called 990

Spyder RT
Actual Displacment 998cc - Called 991

Aprilia Motorcycle
Actual Displacement 998cc - Called 1000

Same actual displacment, 3 different numbers. Why?

Yeah--- that cracks me up too. I just tell people that it's 1,000cc's. Lamont says that the RT 'can' run on 87--- but they recommend 91.

BajaRon
09-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah--- that cracks me up too. I just tell people that it's 1,000cc's. Lamont says that the RT 'can' run on 87--- but they recommend 91.

If you retard the timing enough you can run just about anything on 87 octane. You lose performance and fuel mileage but it will run.

I can see people putting octane booster in the RT to get better performance. Only BRP knows if that will help or not.

Our Spyders at 10.8:1 should run on 100 octane by the Compression/Octane chart. While there are some things you can do to the combustion chamber to reduce the octane needed, you can't get anywhere near a 13 octane reduction that way.

So you'd have to conclude that there is some timing compromises in the mix. And we know BRP uses timing retard to combat knock created by too low octane.

Minimum Octane and optimal Octane are two different things these days.

Spyder#353
09-04-2009, 09:45 PM
I really like this new RT. Just when I get my spyder right. BRP comes out with this RT in my favorite color. "Blue" Haven't seen it yet. But I think I will buy one in January. Sooner if work picks up. Maybe I'll sell my other bike.