PDA

View Full Version : What trailer for getting Spyder home from a far away dealer?

fredgal
03-18-2021, 05:06 AM
I've found a spyder that I might go buy, 2 hrs away. Are there covered trailers that can haul the Spyder home? What size would I need and who rents them for a one way trip? Thanks

Mikey
03-18-2021, 06:10 AM
Weathers not right to ride it?

JayBros
03-18-2021, 06:40 AM
I agree with Mikey, ride it home. If you rent a trailer the second most important thing after trailer fit is how you secure the Spyder and what kind of equipment you need buy/rent to do so; read the owners manual on how to secure it. Two hours is a short warm up ride. JMO.

Wmoater
03-18-2021, 07:20 AM
With as much rain a you guys have had in the last 2 weeks and little snow you’re salt if gone. Make a really nice lunch and get your wife or GF to drive you over. Then on way back stop for a packed lunch. Next week is suppose to be 60-70 and sun all week in mid and eastern PA. You need proof of insurance to purchase it for PA so the insurance company will cover it on the way back, so thats checked off. You get a temporary sticker for 90 days so thats checked off, just ride it home. The price of gas to haul it with more weight and the rental is easily cut in half if you drive a small car. Gas is now $3.25 in PA over here. 2 hours is nothing. You probably get a full tank for free so if your car gets 25-30 mpg and spyder gets 40 you just saved an entire tank of gas vs hauling at 10-12 mpg. Heck I just rode 2 hours yesterday and I’m in the snow belt area of PA and we still have snow on the ground in areas. You also said might buy. That means you rent a trailer drive 2 hours and decide you don’t want to buy now what...........You just rented and pulled a trailer for nothing. Take your gear and ride it back if you buy. If its used a quick stop any DMV for a plate when you notorized it. Prices are the same anywhere in the state and you’ll need to get one at some point.

Possible
03-18-2021, 09:16 AM
Totally agree with the above responses. That's what we did when we bought Peggy's Spyder. It was located about
150 miles away, so I rode it back with my great-granddaughter riding pillion. It was the first time I'd ever ridden a
Spyder so I took about 15 miles to see how it went before she climbed on the back. Had a great time. However, the
weather was great when we did that, so that makes a big difference.

If the weather cooperates, ride it. :)

sfcarn
03-18-2021, 09:52 AM
I used a 7' by 16' enclosed trailer when I brought my Spyder home. I wanted to use a 6' by 12' enclosed trailer but the ramp was slightly narrow, the front wheels would have rode up on the edge of the drop down ramp and the cables for the ramp where in the way. This was in the dead of winter and 4 hours away. This trailer was setup for motorcycles and had plenty of floor tie downs. The cost was $135.00 for a weekend. I used the enclosed trailer on account of snowy and cold weather. I agree if the weather is fairly good I'd ride it. JMO.

Partzman23
03-18-2021, 11:13 AM
I agree,ride it home. When I bought my Spyder in July 2020 I had never even ridden one except for the test ride. I was 2 hrs away from home with no trailer.I rode it home.
I had not been on a motorcycle in over 30 yrs. But I knew I could do it and had confidence in the Spyder so I just did it. The 2 hr ryde home gave me time to get use to how the Spyder reacts to road conditions. The ryde was on state highways and Interstate. I am glad Idid. Just go for it.

bigbadbrucie
03-18-2021, 11:24 AM
Everone is assuming the OP is able to ride it home....there has only been one reply to his question. Everyone else is giving their opinion of how to get ot home, not what size/type trailer to bring it home. I’ve NEVER trailered my Spyder so I can’t answer. I do agree on the best WAY to get it home, but that wasn’t the question.

ozarkryder
03-18-2021, 11:41 AM
I've found a spyder that I might go buy, 2 hrs away. Are there covered trailers that can haul the Spyder home? What size would I need and who rents them for a one way trip? Thanks

U-Haul dealers seem to be ubiquitous. A U-Haul dealer near the seller will be able to rent a suitable trailer and equipment to secure it. Thing is if you end up not buying the Spyder you won't spend the gas to pull an empty trailer 2 hours there and 2 hours back. If you do get the Spyder, haul it home and drop the trailer off at your nearest U-Haul store.

Copperman
03-18-2021, 12:21 PM
Back in April, 2013, I bought my first Spyder about 140 miles away. I took my Droptail trailer, fulling expecting to trailer it home. And at the time, I had maybe 10 miles on a Spyder and it was cold and rainy that day. I rode that baby home and have never looked back! 100,000 miles later and I'm still lov'n it.

Two hours is nothing. You'll be fine riding it home. Be sure to dress for the weather. And let us know what you do.

Snoking1127
03-18-2021, 12:44 PM
Everone is assuming the OP is able to ride it home....there has only been one reply to his question. Everyone else is giving their opinion of how to get ot home, not what size/type trailer to bring it home. I’ve NEVER trailered my Spyder so I can’t answer. I do agree on the best WAY to get it home, but that wasn’t the question.

Trailer needs a not steep ramp 6' wide and a length of 10' and the ability to tie it down.

Bfromla
03-18-2021, 01:48 PM
:congrats: :welcome: :riding: is best, however :lecturef_smilie: do NOT trailer with a cover :sour: wind flutter will scuff paint any where cover touches :barf: Enclosed trailers can double as temp garage, rest as mentioned above. 6X10 will do it but without room for error. 7X12 however :thumbup: longer ramp is helpful to keep from being too steep, can & will high center if that happens. secure straps through the wheels AVOIDING drive sprocket on rear using just the rim. Can go over the fronts with strap in line with tire under fender, limits straps position & angles usually requires special hooks/mounts 188592 ride if you can

Charlottes Web
03-18-2021, 03:18 PM
Where at in northeast Pa. I’ll ride it home for you. Saturday I’m riding 2and1/2 hours to get a back tire on. I also have a trailer

2dogs
03-18-2021, 03:19 PM
Tying DOWN a spyder, particularly in an enclosed trailer, is nothing like tying down a two-wheeler. To start with, you need "D" rings or similar items secured to the floor of the trailer so you can safely secure your spyder to them to avoid doing any damage to it (the spyder). If you've never owned or had any experience with a spyder before, I suggest you find somebody who has and have them show you some of the do's and don'ts about trailering and tying down a spyder. For example; a spyder is 62 1/2" wide at the front tires and the nose of the spyder sticks out a good 6" in front of the wheels. So, you can, tie-down a spyder in a 6' wide enclosed trailer, but you may have to stand on your head to get it done, safely. And, that's just the start of it. Get some help, or wait for good weather and ride it home like has been suggested. Good luck and I know you'll love your spyder once you get it home. Uhaul rents enclosed trailers one-way.

Cirhere
03-19-2021, 12:23 PM
I have a 7 by 12 with a complete fold out rear gate the owners manual explains how to attach tie downs

pegasus1300
03-19-2021, 01:55 PM
I have 7x14 enclosed trailer with a drop down ramp. I added "D" rings to the floor to have something for the tie downs. I run the tie downs thru the front wheels and the rear wheel and it holds it tight. I also have an open (no sides) 7x12 tilting bed trailer. I ride the Spyder up until the bed tilts back down. multiple places to hook the straps to.

whoosh
03-19-2021, 03:00 PM
This is how mine is coming to Maine from Florida. I hired a shipping company

fredgal
03-19-2021, 03:07 PM
Where at in northeast Pa. I’ll ride it home for you. Saturday I’m riding 2and1/2 hours to get a back tire on. I also have a trailer

thanks,, i live few miles south of binghamton,, still working on the wife, sold my polaris ranger with 9000.00 in my pocket,
now working on selling my, 1500cc kawasaki vulcan classic, cant buy spyder till the bike sells... bike is on craigslist.. twin-tiers... bike is a 2007, 9000 miles. extras.. its like new condition... selling 2 toys to get a new spyder .. lol... im 63 yrs old and ready for 3 wheels...

whoosh
03-19-2021, 03:12 PM
Try this site
https://www.uship.com/motorcycles/?r=1749342

fredgal
03-19-2021, 03:12 PM
U-Haul dealers seem to be ubiquitous. A U-Haul dealer near the seller will be able to rent a suitable trailer and equipment to secure it. Thing is if you end up not buying the Spyder you won't spend the gas to pull an empty trailer 2 hours there and 2 hours back. If you do get the Spyder, haul it home and drop the trailer off at your nearest U-Haul store.

yea im looking at uhauls, dealers close to me dont have what i want, or i would buy close and ride it home.., im going to buy the F3-limited..

Rickster48
03-19-2021, 10:58 PM
Check your local Tractor Supply store. The one near us has a 10 foot rental trailer that will fit a Spyder. Wish they would have had it when I bought mine and hauled it home from Lynchburg, VA. Had to get 12 foot landscape rental trailer.

fredgal
03-20-2021, 06:11 AM
heading to the dealer this morning,, cant pass up the deal, i will deal with getting it home after i buy it,,
2020 Can-Am Spyder F3 Limited Dark Edition Magma Red Metallic
On Sale $22,499.00 Was $24,499.00.. insurance will be around 145.00 a yr..

tibadoe
03-20-2021, 07:23 AM
If you decide to trailer it home - bigger the better. An open trailer will give you more tie down options, unless you have a enclosed trailer with tie downs installed. Bigger trailer gives you more room to get around bike and tie down properly. If you haven't already, download operators guide (http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=ed568c5c-35e6-40b0-a6e3-f30611a0e55f) and read through "How to Transport the Vehicle". It's not rocket science and three ratchet straps will do it - no chains. Make sure Spyder is secure and stop a couple times throughout the trip to inspect straps and re-tighten if needed.

Mikey
03-20-2021, 07:58 AM
:congrats: Have fun!!!

fredgal
03-20-2021, 09:40 AM
:congrats: Have fun!!!

thanks but not yet,, called dealer and said i was on my way, he said he would go pull it off the floor,, then called back and said it has a hold on it, for someone that is coming this morning also, but they have a trade in,, if they dont make a deal, then he said its mine... just my luck..lol

Eckhard
03-20-2021, 10:09 AM
You could also take public transport, bus, rail, plane, and finally taxi to the dealer.

fredgal
03-20-2021, 12:25 PM
You could also take public transport, bus, rail, plane, and finally taxi to the dealer.

LMAO...no public transport. no bus's . no rails. no planes, i wont fly anyways, and finally no taxi's where i live either.........no call from dealer, so i missed out , i was a day late....

tibadoe
03-20-2021, 02:50 PM
.............no call from dealer, so i missed out , i was a day late....

Could give iMotorSports (https://www.imotorsportsinc.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventory&make=can-am&sq=spyder#page=xNewInventory&sq=spyder&vt=motorcycle%20%2F%20scooter&vc=3-wheel%20motorcycle&make=can-am)a shot. Then they will deliver to your for free.

fredgal
03-20-2021, 03:09 PM
Could give iMotorSports (https://www.imotorsportsinc.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventory&make=can-am&sq=spyder#page=xNewInventory&sq=spyder&vt=motorcycle%20%2F%20scooter&vc=3-wheel%20motorcycle&make=can-am)a shot. Then they will deliver to your for free.

dealer called , other person with trade in wanted too much,, its ,,MINEEEEEEEE... WHOOHOOO... 23,366.00 OTD...

Glenngo
03-20-2021, 03:25 PM
I live in SE PA. PM me if interested in help getting it home. I have a trailer if the distance is reasonable. Who/where is the dealer?

tibadoe
03-20-2021, 04:57 PM
dealer called , other person with trade in wanted too much,, its ,,MINEEEEEEEE... WHOOHOOO... 23,366.00 OTD...

Congrats to you. Enjoy your new Spyder.

fredgal
03-21-2021, 05:06 AM
brewerton n y. im leaning towards driving it home now.. i can take route 11 if i dont want to travel 81,,

Mikey
03-21-2021, 06:09 AM
brewerton n y. im leaning towards driving it home now.. i can take route 11 if i dont want to travel 81,,

:clap: There you go!!!!!!!!! Have fun:2thumbs:

rskdsk
03-21-2021, 08:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJWI59m2OYQ

fredgal
03-22-2021, 05:30 AM
ive located a 7x12 open trailer a friend has, ordered a new set of ratchet straps to secure it, i will be making the trip this week , when its sunny and dry,, if that happens... cant wait to get it home and in the garage so i can look at it,,lol... truck will be outside for awhile,,, spyder takes priorty now..

Wmoater
03-22-2021, 10:11 AM
Living in Upperstate and probably a snowmobile rider too I’d assume watch the cinders coming off your winter tires being thrown back onto your new spyder. A salt shield and low mud flaps might want to be considered. Western NY is now pretty much salt free ( all washed away last week) accept the center crown but the cinders are all in the center grooves still and on side of road.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-22-2021, 02:22 PM
ive located a 7x12 open trailer a friend has, ordered a new set of ratchet straps to secure it, i will be making the trip this week , when its sunny and dry,, if that happens... cant wait to get it home and in the garage so i can look at it,,lol... truck will be outside for awhile,,, spyder takes priorty now..
Do not put a tarp over it. Leave it exposed to the elements. The flapping of a tarp can, or will, scuff the paint.