PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing 2020 RTL trunk

Scotts8826
03-13-2021, 12:16 PM
I am planning some summer trips on my 2020 RTL. Does anyone have a good lead on luggage that will fit the new trunk? So far, I've thought of 2 soft sided saddlebag liners so my wife and I can each use the space. Any other suggestions?

Arion
03-13-2021, 12:45 PM
Sounds like you have a good idea. I just went to the garage and put two or our Hopnel soft saddlebag liners into the trunk of my wife's new 2021 RT Sea to Sky and they fit nicely. It's nice to know that their usefulness transfers from her 2012 RT to her new Spyder.

MONK
03-13-2021, 01:37 PM
All depends on how cheap (I mean, frugal) you are. Unless I was planning on either multiple trips or very long trips, I wouldn't use bags at all. I'd use some drawstring laundry bags in the trunk and frunk. The drawstring laundry bags will conform to every little nook and cranny unlike a "bag" even if it's form fitting. The drawstring laundry bags don't look as elegant as "luggage" but they work much better. If you're insistent on using "luggage", see what Lamonster has.

Scotts8826
03-13-2021, 01:48 PM
I was looking at the Hopnel saddlebags since their measurements seemed to fit. Thanks for checking that out, Arion. I know they are not the most sturdy of bags so I am open to other suggestions.

JohnRuckus
03-13-2021, 02:15 PM
I don't have "luggage" for my RT, but if you want to get a decent amount of gear in the frunk, trunk, saddle bags, you may consider going with some compression type case or bags. You lose the wheels and the handle, but you can pack a lot into them. Actually if you can find a small enough travel bag or backpack you can compress the contents and put them in the backpack.
I haven't used them with the spyder, but I've used them for other trips.
I've used these and I like them

https://www.amazon.com/LeanTravel-Compression-Packing-Luggage-Organizers/dp/B01MUA6GUB/ref=asc_df_B01MUA6GUB/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198102652462&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8833883491698617577&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010770&hvtargid=pla-403314275514&psc=1

I'm sure there are others that are just as useful and/or better depending on what you're looking for.

RayBJ
03-13-2021, 03:03 PM
Having accumulated several helmet bags over the years, I use them on multi-day trips to separate 'off-bike' from 'on-road' clothes. As Monk said, no wasted space. When I get to motel, only carry in the off-bike bag.

ARtraveler
03-13-2021, 03:17 PM
Hopnel are the bags to go with. Check out Lamonster Garage. You buy all the bags separate except for the 2 saddlebags in one set. Total Cost around $110. They don't fit perfect, but close enough and they are soft sided so you can stuff them in place.

MRH
03-14-2021, 01:44 AM
Agree on the Hopnel bags, great price and very good sizing. The quality is only adequate (but fair for the cost), just be careful as you use the zipper - it's easy for the lining to get stuck in it.

bikerbillone
03-14-2021, 07:09 AM
All depends on how cheap (I mean, frugal) you are. Unless I was planning on either multiple trips or very long trips, I wouldn't use bags at all. I'd use some drawstring laundry bags in the trunk and frunk. The drawstring laundry bags will conform to every little nook and cranny unlike a "bag" even if it's form fitting. The drawstring laundry bags don't look as elegant as "luggage" but they work much better. If you're insistent on using "luggage", see what Lamonster has.

I'm also thinking of laundry bags, and/or compression bags. With that system you can mark the bags or color code them in some way that you know what's in them and not have dig through a large bag of stuff. I have not looked on Amazon but I suspect they have various sizes that would work nicely. Probably save a dollar two over the luggage method. It's all a matter of choice.

K80Shooter
03-14-2021, 07:29 AM
Exactly which Hopnel bags a are you using for the saddlebags on the 2020 RT-L and which bag for the trunk, they make several different sizes. I also saw where Lamonster has a 2 piece bag for the 2020 RT-L frunk which I like.

JayBros
03-14-2021, 08:01 AM
...just be careful as you use the zipper - it's easy for the lining to get stuck in it.

The Achilles' heel of my Hopnel frunk bag.

Tango
03-14-2021, 08:27 AM
Wife and I use kids small backpacks. One in each saddlebag. Or both in the trunk with room to spare. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Snoking1127
03-14-2021, 08:28 AM
Having accumulated several helmet bags over the years, I use them on multi-day trips to separate 'off-bike' from 'on-road' clothes. As Monk said, no wasted space. When I get to motel, only carry in the off-bike bag.

I was going to suggest helmet bars and you beat me to it! I think we have three laying around now.

Snoking1127
03-14-2021, 08:34 AM
Wife and I use kids small backpacks. One in each saddlebag. Or both in the trunk with room to spare. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Is this her?

Indyron
03-15-2021, 03:30 PM
I’ve had Hopnel for my RT and work great. They’re flexible and can hold a lot when you squeeze them in the unit.

Schreckftw
03-15-2021, 03:51 PM
One word, trailer! There would be no way my wife could fit all her stuff in just the bags on the RTL.

Mazo EMS2
03-15-2021, 04:41 PM
If you buy fitted luggage, it too is taking up space. Just use some soft shell duffel bags for optimal space in all compartments. The only so called advantage to the custom stuff is that some of it has wheels...which ALSO take up space. Custom luggage is the biggest space taker in itself

Warfels
03-20-2021, 05:10 PM
I git this one, just fits in Ftruck but can compress also

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EWPIOEM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doc McCoy
03-23-2021, 09:12 AM
Exactly which Hopnel bags a are you using for the saddlebags on the 2020 RT-L and which bag for the trunk, they make several different sizes. I also saw where Lamonster has a 2 piece bag for the 2020 RT-L frunk which I like.

I bought all my Hopnel bags off of Amazon. It asks what bike you have and I typed in checked Can AM Spyder RT 2020. I bought two saddlebags, 1 frunk bag, and the trunk bag is two bags one large one small. Cost was right at $100 Bags fit well and are of decent quality.

Doc McCoy
03-23-2021, 09:15 AM
If you buy fitted luggage, it too is taking up space. Just use some soft shell duffel bags for optimal space in all compartments. The only so called advantage to the custom stuff is that some of it has wheels...which ALSO take up space. Custom luggage is the biggest space taker in itself

The hopnel bags I just bought would qualify as custom fit and they take up no more room than a garbage bag. All of the bags fit in the appropriate compartment very nicely.