PDA

View Full Version : Another Beta Tester

ARtraveler
03-11-2021, 12:07 PM
Going to Lamonster Garage to have service and farkling on my two F3's.

I need a new rear tire for the 2019 F3 (13K miles).

Last time, I had Federals installed on my 2014. They no longer sell the Federal but do have the Kenda K9's.

Going to give that one a try to see how it performs compared to the OEM Kenda's. It will take a year or so, but I will keep the site posted.

RICZ
03-11-2021, 12:54 PM
Standing by Sir.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-11-2021, 01:20 PM
Going to Lamonster Garage to have service and farkling on my two F3's.

I need a new rear tire for the 2019 F3 (13K miles).

Last time, I had Federals installed on my 2014. They no longer sell the Federal but do have the Kenda K9's.

Going to give that one a try to see how it performs compared to the OEM Kenda's. It will take a year or so, but I will keep the site posted.

Good luck, I researched them back a few months ago .... and except for the tread appearance, the casing is the same as the other Kenda's of the past ..... They May have changed the tread compound but that info is proprietary. ..... Mike :thumbup:

Little Blue
03-11-2021, 01:42 PM
:coffee: Are you allowed to supply your choice of tires? Just a thought. ......:thumbup:

ARtraveler
03-11-2021, 03:22 PM
:coffee: Are you allowed to supply your choice of tires? Just a thought. ......:thumbup:

When dealing with Lamonster, I have taken what he has available. A phone call, PM, or e-mail should get you a quick answer to the "can you supply the tire question." It would be an easy thing because supplier could ship them direct to LM.

ARtraveler
03-11-2021, 03:25 PM
Good luck, I researched them back a few months ago .... and except for the tread appearance, the casing is the same as the other Kenda's of the past ..... They May have changed the tread compound but that info is proprietary. ..... Mike :thumbup:

I do thank you for the research. Given the opportunity, I am going to Beta Test for the site. I know there are few others out there, but I don't remember who now, and they have been very quiet about the subject. Maybe, "no news, is good news?"

MONK
03-11-2021, 04:39 PM
I was going to give the K9s a try but decided not to. Just ordered a pair of Q5s.

Lew L
03-11-2021, 05:04 PM
I was going to give the K9s a try but decided not to. Just ordered a pair of Q5s.

Smart move. I'm VERY happy with my Q5's.

Lew L

Peter Aawen
03-11-2021, 05:35 PM
I do thank you for the research. Given the opportunity, I am going to Beta Test for the site. I know there are few others out there, but I don't remember who now, and they have been very quiet about the subject. Maybe, "no news, is good news?"

Or maybe, they're just too embarrased to tell us that the Kanine's are no better than the OE Spec Kendas?? :dontknow:

I feel that's probably had some impact on the 'reported experience' here in Oz - after taking a fair while before we got any of them into this country, even then only a few managed to get a set of Kanine's to try before they (suddenly??) once more became very difficult if not impossible to actually get..... altho maybe I was just being deliberately stonewalled in that respect! :p

Still, at least so far, only a few of those who did manage to get a set have responded to requests for feedback - and of those who have, the overwhelming response reported here has been 'Don't bother!' or 'No better!' :( That said, it could just be that those responding to my requests for feedback already know of my disgust with the OE Spec Kendas (I don't think I've tried to hide that! ;) ) so possibly they just aren't too keen on telling me anything else about the Kanines.... :rolleyes: . There again, the reported % of those who've tried them only to toss them & swap them for other tires within just a couple of thousand miles seems to be fairly indicative that they really aren't all that much better than the original spec tires - at least not here in Oz on our roads/road surfaces & our temps/conditions anyway! :gaah:

But I must add the caveat here that I haven't personally been able to get my hands on a set to try; so some reporting/feedback from someone who HAS been able to run them & is prepared to put a little effort into testing them AND reporting back in some detail would be very much appreciated. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
03-11-2021, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement. Since I ride over a thousand miles a month, by this time next year I will have a good idea if the K9's are going to be keepers or not.

I will either keep them or dump them. Lots of places here to get the tires I want. One big point, the mileage has to be way better.

:bbq: :bbq: :bbq:

Big Juice
03-12-2021, 01:14 PM
I have the K9 on the rear, good grip most of the time. In quick stop, rear slides, on rain the grip is not as good so I slow down more. My experience so far.

Peter Aawen
03-12-2021, 05:01 PM
I have the K9 on the rear, good grip most of the time. In quick stop, rear slides, on rain the grip is not as good so I slow down more. My experience so far.

How many miles have you done on them so far, Big? :dontknow:

trikermutha
03-12-2021, 07:23 PM
I have the K9 on the rear and have stopped many times hard. Rear never slides for me.

Cant say much for wet weather yet with the Covid thing , I didnt get out as much last year riding.

Big Juice
03-13-2021, 01:24 PM
How many miles have you done on them so far, Big? :dontknow:

I've got 1,500 miles on it so far. I really like the tire overall, but liked my Yokohama rear tire better (It was unavailable when I needed a new tire). Part of that sliding may be my body weight (325) that get's pushed forward by inertia from a quick stop, same with wet situations, but hey, I'm not an expert, but those are my experiences with my bike and riding (maybe I also ride a "little" to hard and aggressive?).

tofriendscreek
03-17-2021, 07:21 AM
It’s always amazing to me the differences of opinion on tires, oil, etc., related to Spyders or any other equipment. I’ve had three Spyders, an RS, am RT and now an F3Ltd. I’ve traveled the country putting upward of 141K on them. Unscientifically, regardless of the model, Kenda’s have done just fine, performed in all kinds of weather, road surfaces, temperatures and tread life and at a decent price point. I tend to ryde hard and fast and much of my time is spent on all the twisties I can find. The Kenda’s, from OEM to the current K9 have lasted as long or longer than the Federal, Yokahoma, and other brands I’ve tried. They have done so with none of the skid, sway, side turn chatter or other road handling issues. My K9 fronts have 17K this morning. The rear K9 has 13K. It’s an individual choice. I’ve been very satisfied with the Kenda’s over the years.

ARtraveler
03-17-2021, 07:49 AM
It’s always amazing to me the differences of opinion on tires, oil, etc., related to Spyders or any other equipment. I’ve had three Spyders, an RS, am RT and now an F3Ltd. I’ve traveled the country putting upward of 141K on them. Unscientifically, regardless of the model, Kenda’s have done just fine, performed in all kinds of weather, road surfaces, temperatures and tread life and at a decent price point. I tend to ryde hard and fast and much of my time is spent on all the twisties I can find. The Kenda’s, from OEM to the current K9 have lasted as long or longer than the Federal, Yokahoma, and other brands I’ve tried. They have done so with none of the skid, sway, side turn chatter or other road handling issues. My K9 fronts have 17K this morning. The rear K9 has 13K. It’s an individual choice. I’ve been very satisfied with the Kenda’s over the years.

:agree: x2. You said it better than I did. An opposing view from most, but right on, IMO. :bowdown:

frj322
04-03-2021, 03:54 PM
Got my Kanine on the rear today, rode well for the 25 or so miles home. We’ll see... has to last longer than the original Kenda does!

sfcarn
04-03-2021, 05:09 PM
I previously owned a 2014 Spyder RTL and went through two Kenda original rear tires. Less than 4500 miles on each tire and they were wore down to the tread wear indicators. I was going to go to a car tire and then the Kenda Kanine came along and decided to give it a try. I put 2100 miles on that tire and it showed no signs of wear and it seemed to me that the Spyder handled better.
I sold that Spyder and bought a new 2021 RTL. When the time comes to change the rear tire on the 2021 I will go with the Kenda Kanine.

RICZ
04-03-2021, 09:04 PM
QUESTION: How many sidewall plies in front and rear Kanines? How many in the tread?

spyder01
04-04-2021, 09:08 AM
Ive got 13k on my rear k9 and while I feel its doing a good job of holding and not hydroplaning it is looking like it wont last out the summer.I was hoping for maybe 25k but thats not happening.

PaladinLV
04-04-2021, 12:06 PM
An old saying "Fool me once Shame on You! Fool me TWICE shame on ME!"
No more Kendas for me even if FREE.
AJ

Little Blue
05-17-2021, 04:36 PM
:coffee: Any updates on the Kenda beta testing? I will need to get the rear tire replaced in near future. Dealer will not install a car tire. ....:thumbup: