PDA

View Full Version : New 2020 Spyder looks like it was left in the rain. I guess I'm a sucker

rolick22
03-09-2021, 02:48 PM
I just purchased my new Spyder RT from a dealer in Columbus OH last month with 1.2 miles on it. I have since put nearly 10 miles on it. I recently removed the right side access panel to get a good look of the engine and I was absolutely terrified as to what I was looking at. I was looking at a brand new engine with less than 10 miles on it, that was badly corroded as if the bike was left in the rain for serval months before I bought it. Please see the photos attached, I feel the dealer who sold me the Spyder is puting a bad name to the CAN-AM brand which is well respected. If I buy a new bike I would really expect the engine to look new and not like its been left out in the rain for months. I will never deal with this dealer again as they have lost my trust and will find another dealer to help me with this problem.

Possible
03-09-2021, 02:51 PM
What has the dealer said about this when you presented him with this information?

Valkrocket
03-09-2021, 03:03 PM
WOW!!! :yikes:

agrimm01
03-09-2021, 03:04 PM
I just purchased my new Spyder RT from a dealer in Columbus OH last month with 1.2 miles on it. I have since put nearly 10 miles on it. I recently removed the right side access panel to get a good look of the engine and I was absolutely terrified as to what I was looking at. I was looking at a brand new engine with less than 10 miles on it, that was badly corroded as if the bike was left in the rain for serval months before I bought it. Please see the photos attached, I feel the dealer who sold me the Spyder is puting a bad name to the CAN-AM brand which is well respected. If I buy a new bike I would really expect the engine to look new and not like its been left out in the rain for months. I will never deal with this dealer again as they have lost my trust and will find another dealer to help me with this problem.

I had a similar experience while purchasing my 2020 RTL in Jacksonville Florida. The dealer had to get the bike from their "warehouse" and when they tried to deliver the entire bike was like your picture. I refused delivery and over the next 2 months they tried to get the bike in condition but I refused to accept. I finally purchased a 2021 at a discount and it is in new condition. Good luck. I think you should confront that dealer asap and demand another bike. There are lawyers that will take the case on if the dealer won't make it good.

troop
03-09-2021, 03:04 PM
1st post.. Welcome. Ouch :(

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-09-2021, 04:32 PM
1st post.. Welcome. Ouch :(

:agree: and double Ouch ..... pic #1. looks like Oil got on the engine and baked :gaah:.............. and :welcome:.......... Mike :thumbup:

Cobwebs
03-09-2021, 06:26 PM
Have you asked for your money back?

Snoking1127
03-09-2021, 06:34 PM
Maybe a pressure washer will clean "things" up?

Shadowrun
03-09-2021, 07:56 PM
Oh my GAAWD yIKES :shocked:
Thats crazy.

For as much as you dropped on this new RT, there is ZERO reason for it to look like that.
I’d talk this over with the Dealer Gen Mgr. Raise a little Hell while you’re there.
Tell him/her the Dealership was being dishonest about this, and their mechanics HAD to see that before delivery.

If they don’t budge, seek some Professional Legal aid on this, see what they recommend.
The paperwork may be worded that you “accept it as is”, but that doesn’t mean you can’t “convince them” to make it right.

...And I’m sure NBC4i would luv to run a 5 o’clock news story about it too, if it comes to that :popcorn:
Best of Luck to you.

Wmoater
03-09-2021, 08:07 PM
Hard to tell but that looks like fluid foam that’s all bubbled and dried. But they’d never do that. Does it wipe off or does it flake off. That’s oil of some sorts. Definitely the dealer should fix that. Is it mold that grew on the oil resin?

gkamer
03-09-2021, 08:12 PM
Sorry your first post had to be on something like this.

Navydad
03-09-2021, 09:09 PM
Bottom photo looks like damage from road salt. We had a nasty February in Ohio did the dealership by chance run it across a salty parking lot or something similar.

glennm
03-09-2021, 09:33 PM
Would it be prudent to highlight the issue to both the dealer and BRP to avoid any issues in the future that may relate to warranty and the way the Spyder was maintained?

Just a thought.

BajaRon
03-10-2021, 08:48 AM
That is GRUESOME! A lot more has transpired here than just leaving that Spyder out in the rain. I don't mean to throw salt on the wound. But I'm wondering if maybe the cluster was replaced and it actually has more miles on it than advertised. I would pursue this.

Good Luck!

Wmoater
03-10-2021, 10:20 AM
That is GRUESOME! A lot more has transpired here than just leaving that Spyder out in the rain. I don't mean to throw salt on the wound. But I'm wondering if maybe the cluster was replaced and it actually has more miles on it than advertised. I would pursue this.

Good Luck!

I was going to say the same thing but didn’t want to. My concern is the plastic and rubber in front looks mint. Something is fishy about this. In my opinion it has to be the dealer not BRP. I can’t see how that would look that way just sitting there unless it is transmission fluid or oil that ran over and got the fuzzies just sitting in a wet crate outside. If the crate was soaked, You would see more damage than that. ( seats, rubber, moister in the gauges etc. ) Aluminum will create a white flakey/oxidation sitting over time. My snowmobiles look nasty at the end of each season. Aluminum has turned white and oxidizes but buffing with Mothers takes it back to new, but the plastic looks aged at that point. To get that much either rust, mold, or gel resin build up, everything in front of it would look the same if sitting in wet crates.

ARtraveler
03-10-2021, 10:38 AM
I waited a day to reply as I wanted to see what others may have to say.

For me, not acceptable. Something is not right. I would first talk with the dealer and see if they will make it right. If that does not work out, I would be contacting BRP.

Please let us know how this works out.

And...:welcome: I will leave out the Congrat's because I don't think you are feeling the love on that one. :yikes:

Little Blue
03-10-2021, 10:49 AM
:coffee: Welcome to the Spyder Forum.
I would talk to the selling Dealer and hear what they have to say. If you have done this, I would contact BRP and tell your story. I hope someone will listen and give you some help on this problem. Please let the Forum know how this works out. .........:thumbup:

Wmoater
03-10-2021, 10:50 AM
Look at all the fluid levels. (Oil, coolant, brake fluid etc) Is Everything full? Look at the spark plugs. Is there oily/ rust below? Are the plugs new looking?

BertRemington
03-10-2021, 04:02 PM
rolick22 -- your picture is of the fuel rail location. Here's what mine looks like. The 77K miles were by previous owner who lived in Escondido about 20 miles from Pacific Ocean.
188319 188320

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-10-2021, 04:22 PM
I just purchased my new Spyder RT from a dealer in Columbus OH last month with 1.2 miles on it. I have since put nearly 10 miles on it. I recently removed the right side access panel to get a good look of the engine and I was absolutely terrified as to what I was looking at.

It'll cost about $30 or so but get a Car Fax report. Maybe you can get the dealer to get it for you gratis. That corrosion looks like the type of corrosion you can expect from a vehicle that was flooded in salt water. You need to rule that out as a possibility.

EdMat
03-10-2021, 09:16 PM
We had a dealer down south of here that was selling a few new Spyders that had been in a flood. They reworked them, CanAm blessed the warranty coverage and they were honest about it. Pretty good discount. Almost bought one. Even tho they replaced a ton of stuff, you could still tell.

LifeLongRider
03-10-2021, 10:16 PM
Well, I hate to be negative, but I'm having a hard time believing your story . . . . .
A brand new Spyder, just out of the factory with 1 mile on it . . . just ain't gonna happen IMHO.

Cobwebs
03-10-2021, 11:04 PM
Well, I hate to be negative, but I'm having a hard time believing your story . . . . .
A brand new Spyder, just out of the factory with 1 mile on it . . . just ain't gonna happen IMHO.

Jiminy Cricket, should check for bad alignment and road handling, if it's crap definitely new.:shemademe_smilie:

sKiZo
03-10-2021, 11:57 PM
We had a dealer down south of here that was selling a few new Spyders that had been in a flood. They reworked them, CanAm blessed the warranty coverage and they were honest about it. Pretty good discount. Almost bought one. Even tho they replaced a ton of stuff, you could still tell.

My thoughts exactly. Lot of stuff like that showed up after Katrina and various other weather events, making me wonder if it didn't spend some time under salt water. Maybe CanAm can trace it to an original dealer down south who quite literally went under.

And ya ... I suppose it's excusable as long as it's got full warranty AND you got a substantial discount AND were told up front, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here. That level of corrosion gets into everything. I'd take it back for full refund or replacement.

SERGIU
03-11-2021, 12:50 AM
The idea is when dealer needs a part for another bike and that part is not in the warehouse...well...he will take the part he needs from a new bike..it happens all the time in my country !

S.

vario
03-11-2021, 06:31 AM
Looks like melted plastic on the motor. I had the same thing on my exhaust after a ride, after i rode over a plastic bag and did not know it stuck to the exhaust. The plastic smell gave it away.