PDA

View Full Version : Cat Delete Pipe Recommendations?

Kingz
03-06-2021, 10:15 AM
Want to install a cat delete pipe on our 2020 RTL. I see several companies are offering them and wondered what experiences people have had with the different brands? They pretty much all look the same.

fatboy
03-06-2021, 10:23 AM
RLS nice sound

ButterSmooth
03-06-2021, 11:04 AM
I also have an RLS with the muffler and no baffle. Seems to be fine to me -- tiny bit more sound when riding and -1 mpg. No more burning smells and I hope it is cooler in the Summer, my main reason for changing. If you order one, do it by phone. I enjoyed talking to Rick.

troop
03-06-2021, 12:12 PM
I have a Baldwin Ironworks cat delete pipe. Awesome quality, and Paul is a great guy. Can't say I ever had exhaust/fuel smell..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyder-Primary-Muffler-Cat-Bypass-Performance-Pipe-1330-Can-Am/303533924889?hash=item46ac082219:g:IbMAAOSwCXxcLTO H

Skups
03-07-2021, 07:07 AM
RLS is fantastic!

Kingz
03-07-2021, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the replies. In photos it looks like the RLS has a chamber similar to a catalytic converter? What is that?

troop
03-07-2021, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. In photos it looks like the RLS has a chamber similar to a catalytic converter? What is that?

Ricky calls it a resonator. Basically a chamber to build up exhaust for added back pressure.

rtmario
03-22-2021, 11:22 PM
I went with a RSL cat delete with the baffle and F3 LTD muffler on 2020 RT ltd ....simply perrrfect ...for me !!!

Joel The Biker
03-23-2021, 12:08 AM
RLS!!!! There is no comparison!!!! Has built in resonator chamber that keeps noise to a minimum and produces a nice deep tone! I love mine!!!

PMK
03-23-2021, 06:29 AM
Years ago we bought a Lamonster bypass pipe. No baffle, no resonator. Sounds good for us and has a pretty sweet bark.

The exhaust note is not so much deep, nor is it overly raspy, the cat delete is connected to the oem multi chambered muffler.

There was no RLS or other brands offered then, but no plans to change. This bypass pipe is stainless construction, aligned in a jig and tig welded like a performance race exhaust.

spyderbear
03-23-2021, 06:59 AM
RLS on my 2019 f3 LTD great sound and a lot less heat ! did a lot of looking and RLS was the one .

2dogs
03-23-2021, 02:02 PM
A cat delete eliminates a considerable amount of heat. That's a given. As for increased power and MPG, no one has proven that. That I know of anyway. Sound, yea, lots of folks have noticed a little louder and lower tone. Reports of a baffle in or out of the cat delete will change the low RPM torque and or the high RPM torque. Other reports say that the ECM continually adjusts itself to control any modification to remain at stock performance. I tend to go along with that theory. So, the only thing that really seems to change with a cat delete, is the loss of some heat and a change of exhaust sound.

Piratezz
03-23-2021, 03:20 PM
Agree with 2dogs, on this, only more sound, no performance increase,A tune does increase the power significally, also changes the sound, mine is quite quiet, till I hit 4000 rpms, then it squeals.
nice raspy sound tho, I made my own cat delete, have a baffle actually before the exhaustpipe ( an Akropovic)188726

ButterSmooth
03-23-2021, 04:03 PM
...As for increased power and MPG, no one has proven that.

I've lost ~1.5mpg with my RLS and no baffle. No detectable change in power or torque. If the springs weren't such a pain, I'd put the baffle into the RLS. The riding sound is fine, but if you rev it up in the driveway, it rasps like one of the tinny little rice-burner cars.

PMK
03-23-2021, 04:18 PM
I've lost ~1.5mpg with my RLS and no baffle. No detectable change in power or torque. If the springs weren't such a pain, I'd put the baffle into the RLS. The riding sound is fine, but if you rev it up in the driveway, it rasps like one of the tinny little rice-burner cars.

Interesting, what muffler? Ours has the stock 2014 muffler. Maybe the early muffler is chambered differently, since ours is not raspy in my opinion. Certainly has a louder bark and more of a snarl than rasp. Luckily it does not sound like a Harley V Twin.

ButterSmooth
03-23-2021, 04:26 PM
Interesting, what muffler? Ours has the stock 2014 muffler. Maybe the early muffler is chambered differently, since ours is not raspy in my opinion. Certainly has a louder bark and more of a snarl than rasp. Luckily it does not sound like a Harley V Twin.

Stock 2020RT muffler. And as I say, the sound while riding is fine, perhaps a little lower/fuller sound than stock. It doesn't sound like a Harley nor a Mopar... It also doesn't make the wonderful Whiskey Tenor sound of my old XS750 Yamaha triple.

PMK
03-23-2021, 04:45 PM
Stock 2020RT muffler. And as I say, the sound while riding is fine, perhaps a little lower/fuller sound than stock. It doesn't sound like a Harley nor a Mopar... It also doesn't make the wonderful Whiskey Tenor sound of my old XS750 Yamaha triple.

Is your 2020 muffler different than the earlier 1330 RT mufflers. I know ours has a bunch of chambers inside the muffler, but not actual packing material. Maybe my modified i take helps too with the exhaust note.

PMK
03-23-2021, 04:48 PM

Was not sure what Whiskey Tenor was or meant. Looked it up. Does not seem to be a desirable thing based on definition.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/whiskey+tenor

2dogs
03-23-2021, 05:15 PM
Was not sure what Whiskey Tenor was or meant. Looked it up. Does not seem to be a desirable thing based on definition.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/whiskey+tenor

Yea, I got some very strange add ons.

PMK
03-23-2021, 05:47 PM
A cat delete eliminates a considerable amount of heat. That's a given. As for increased power and MPG, no one has proven that. That I know of anyway. Sound, yea, lots of folks have noticed a little louder and lower tone. Reports of a baffle in or out of the cat delete will change the low RPM torque and or the high RPM torque. Other reports say that the ECM continually adjusts itself to control any modification to remain at stock performance. I tend to go along with that theory. So, the only thing that really seems to change with a cat delete, is the loss of some heat and a change of exhaust sound.

Sort of. Yes the computer will, constantly learn and adjust as needed. This is in regards to watching upstream FA ratios. Not sure, but believe the Spyder, like other vehicles tends to learn trends from the operator.

Yes, there is a huge heat reduction. As for MPG, I have documented a very slight increase in mpg. Regarding power, unfortunately, so many people see power as a number, or an increase. That is not quite the case. Usable power is often far more valued than an increase in peak power. With our bypass installed, and the computer has learned over say 100 miles of riding with varied throttle settings, our Spyder has the ability to rev more freely into the mid range, while pulling stronger than with the oem exhaust. This is not revving each gear to max rpm and bouncing the rev limiter, simply accelerating and shifting gears at around 4200 to 4500 revs. Oem kind of started signing off and liked to be short shifted at 3500 or fewer revs.
My opinion though, everybody is different, do what you like. It is ironic though. Other owners with essentially the same Spyder model and same exhaust, insist I cut open our muffler and reworked it. The exhaust note on ours has strong bark and the engine pulls hard. Theirs, has a much softer exhaust note, but as a rider, they tend to ride at lower revs and short shift.

Shadow71
03-23-2021, 08:15 PM
I just installed the RLS Mid-pipe, black ceramic coated for heat reduction.
I installed the baffle at the inlet, for back pressure/low end torque retention.

I've found over several brand and models of bikes, that the back pressure is more important that the wide open/loud exhaust.
Even tuned, unless it's a built up motor, an open exhaust costs you torque.
Since my Spyder RTL will be mostly 2-up, torque is the most valuable asset.

I did do the 15 minute idle, 15 minute cool down. Then took her out and pushed here. Not super hard, she's got 300 miles.
I noticed better pull/torque off the line, hit 55mph in 2nd easily, and moving up the gears. The girl friend rode it next and we traded out 2-up, she also noticed better pull.
I was told that we could be heard riding back in to my sub-division.

Its not super loud, but a deeper,throater sound.
I used an SPL meter before and after, the decibel level actually went down on average.

start/idle/rev, measured from the rider's seat.
79.2bd avg / 87.8bd max - Stock
78.4db avg / 87.8bd max - RLS mid-pipe with baffle

Hope this is helpful.
I may in the future get one of the RLS torpedo mufflers.
8-)

PMK
03-23-2021, 09:24 PM
I just installed the RLS Mid-pipe, black ceramic coated for heat reduction.
I installed the baffle at the inlet, for back pressure/low end torque retention.

I've found over several brand and models of bikes, that the back pressure is more important that the wide open/loud exhaust.
Even tuned, unless it's a built up motor, an open exhaust costs you torque.
Since my Spyder RTL will be mostly 2-up, torque is the most valuable asset.

I did do the 15 minute idle, 15 minute cool down. Then took her out and pushed here. Not super hard, she's got 300 miles.
I noticed better pull/torque off the line, hit 55mph in 2nd easily, and moving up the gears. The girl friend rode it next and we traded out 2-up, she also noticed better pull.
I was told that we could be heard riding back in to my sub-division.

Its not super loud, but a deeper,throater sound.
I used an SPL meter before and after, the decibel level actually went down on average.

start/idle/rev, measured from the rider's seat.
79.2bd avg / 87.8bd max - Stock
78.4db avg / 87.8bd max - RLS mid-pipe with baffle

Hope this is helpful.
I may in the future get one of the RLS torpedo mufflers.
8-)

While not having an RLS bypass or a baffle in our bypass pipe, if yours acts like ours, put some miles on it, and the performance and exhaust note will change.

As for the baffle, for it to be optimized, I believe the location can matter based on the exhausts resonance wave. Then again maybe not so much. I do know that the oem muffler on our 2014 is not mechanically restricting flow, but does utilize multiple chambers, similar to, but different from a Flowmaster style muffler.

Shadow71
03-23-2021, 10:36 PM
Oh, a tip for installing the springs.

Pulling the springs was easy enough.
But installing the springs with limited use of my Left arm, I could only get one spring on.
I figured out that wrapping a rachet strap around the back tire and using that to pull on the spring installer and then pulling the spring end towards the hook and releasing the ratch, made it much easier.

Hope this helps

UtahPete
08-03-2022, 03:18 PM
Oh, a tip for installing the springs.

Pulling the springs was easy enough.
But installing the springs with limited use of my Left arm, I could only get one spring on.
I figured out that wrapping a rachet strap around the back tire and using that to pull on the spring installer and then pulling the spring end towards the hook and releasing the ratch, made it much easier.

Hope this helps

This is what I did. A small piece of rope with a trucker's hitch helped a lot. Still had to pull on the spring tool, but much less effort.

Pirate
08-03-2022, 05:31 PM

And a few less dollars in the pocket.

UtahPete
08-03-2022, 05:36 PM

I'm doing it because of the heat issue and because it's recommended for maximizing the benefit of a stage 2 ECU flash.

But the heat issue alone is worth it in today's extreme climate, I think.

2dogs
08-03-2022, 10:32 PM
But the heat issue alone is worth it in today's extreme climate, I think.

I think you're possibly on to something there. If we all lost our cats maybe we could slow down this global warming thing, maybe?

ButterSmooth
08-04-2022, 12:26 PM
Where I live the roadsides are frequently covered with grass - dry grass at this time of year. That was a consideration when I removed my cat, since I do occasionally have to pull off the pavement. Besides the reduction in perceived heat for the riders, reducing the chance of starting a fire is important. One good grass fire will put more contaminants in the air than my Spyder will during it's entire life. Not to mention what a burning Spyder would put in the air.

UtahPete
08-04-2022, 12:51 PM
Where I live the roadsides are frequently covered with grass - dry grass at this time of year. That was a consideration when I removed my cat, since I do occasionally have to pull off the pavement. Besides the reduction in perceived heat for the riders, reducing the chance of starting a fire is important. One good grass fire will put more contaminants in the air than my Spyder will during it's entire life. Not to mention what a burning Spyder would put in the air.

That's a real good point. I've wrapped the cat delete pipe in fiberglass wrap for even greater heat reduction.

RiderDuke
08-04-2022, 05:37 PM
That's a real good point. I've wrapped the cat delete pipe in fiberglass wrap for even greater heat reduction.

Which fiberglass wrap? If you don't mind me asking... I just got my cat delete pipe in and was thinking about it.... Thanks in Advance!

UtahPete
08-04-2022, 05:58 PM
Which fiberglass wrap? If you don't mind me asking... I just got my cat delete pipe in and was thinking about it.... Thanks in Advance!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KVYH66U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got the little tool for the metal ties, but not the extra ties (didn't need them)

Also, the high temp silicone spray paint https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MY1RB0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

2dogs
08-05-2022, 04:03 PM

I have to confess that I left some dark almost black, dry grass after pulling off a rural road for a quick pitstop. Now dry grass is the second thing I look for when deciding where to park my ride.