PDA

View Full Version : Fuel price still rising

bigbadbrucie
03-02-2021, 07:22 PM
Up here, north of the 49th, the price of fuel is still on the rise. Today, here in Chilliwack, BC, the price for 87 octane fuel is $1.409 per litre which translates to $5.333 per US gal. I wonder how much higher it plans on going?

Just thought that I would post this to brighten everyone south of us’s day.

canamjhb
03-02-2021, 08:49 PM
Gee, Thanks Bruce. Price here in the desert S.W. for a gallon has gone up 75 cents in the last 3 weeks. I spent most of my adult life vacationing on my boat between WA and BC. Many years ago there was a time that I waited until I got to Canadian waters to fuel up because the price was less than in the U.S. Makes you wonder what happened..... Jim

Wmoater
03-02-2021, 09:45 PM
I started the same chat over on dootalk about a month ago. PA is the most expensive taxed gas in the US. We shot to $3.10 a gallon 7 days ago and it’s been holding for the past week. We are usually .30 above the average. I’m guessing $3.50 by summer.

Lew L
03-02-2021, 11:23 PM
Gee, Thanks Bruce. Price here in the desert S.W. for a gallon has gone up 75 cents in the last 3 weeks. I spent most of my adult life vacationing on my boat between WA and BC. Many years ago there was a time that I waited until I got to Canadian waters to fuel up because the price was less than in the U.S. Makes you wonder what happened..... Jim

We all know what happened. Just try to buy ammo.

Little Blue
03-03-2021, 06:34 AM
:coffee: Gas prices have been going up and up. Indiana is now at $2.79 a gallon.
Don't know what the Summer Price will be.

Still going to ryde my Spyder. .......:thumbup:

Saluda
03-03-2021, 06:36 AM
I hate the oil prices more (heating).
Won't stop our riding.

Fatcycledaddy
03-03-2021, 08:25 AM
I work in the construction industry shipping precast foundatin walls to sites on trucks and setting them with cranes.
The additinal cost of fuel alone is already adding about $1000.00 to each foundation and it has just started.
Everything we use to produce the walls comes in on trucks so the cost of steel, cement powder, and foam insulation has skyrocketed. Some foam manufactures are retooling to a formula that will produce less greenhouse gasses which is adding 15 to 25% in cost, they dont know for sure how much yet.
What they dont think about is now the foam is made over 500 miles from where it used to be so it is adding trucking to the cost, then adding the greenhouse gasses from the trucking to get it here. The new foam does not meet the fire code so it has to be covered with another product that has to be trucked in. So where is the savings on green house gasses? :hun:

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-03-2021, 09:53 AM
In 2013 there was a study of gas prices from 1912 to 2012 vs political party in power. Adjusted for inflation the price varied only about 12 cents between administrations, with some of the highest prices being under Republicans and some of the lowest being under Democrats. The President basically has zero power to control gas prices. The price is determined mostly by middlemen brokers much more than by producers or retailers.

Official policy of Spyderlovers.com is ZERO tolerance for political discussions. Your comment above is pushing the limit pretty hard. If you don't want to see such posts deleted by admins don't post them. Would we like to see the policy relaxed? Sometimes, but rules is rules and the site has so much other value we accept the restriction in order to maintain a civil discussion group.

RapidSpyder
03-03-2021, 10:01 AM
Didn't mean to get political, just was trying to say policies of an administration can drive prices. Maybe that's a better way to word it...

BryanSD
03-03-2021, 10:05 AM
Moving away from politics and back to reality...gas prices almost ALWAYS goes up this time of year. The extreme cold in February probably didn't help due to both oil heating usage and refinery slow downs. A lot of this has to do with refineries switching to a Summer-Blend production. Here is an article written last year in 2020 saying the same thing. https://www.convenience.org/Topics/Fuels/Changing-Seasons-Changing-Gas-Prices

RapidSpyder
03-03-2021, 10:13 AM
The deep freeze in Texas probably didn’t help much either...

K80Shooter
03-03-2021, 10:15 AM
$2.49 per gallon in N.E. Georgia.

Spyderman2018
03-03-2021, 10:17 AM
Like BTO said, "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"...........

RapidSpyder
03-03-2021, 11:45 AM
Something we all can agree on:

More riding, less COVID. d3wr.com

ARtraveler
03-03-2021, 11:55 AM
A reminder of site rule #2.

Political posts are NOT allowed on the site.

I hate to be the one, but going to have to go back and delete the various posts about parties, names, and that they are the cause of the "new" gas prices. Those being deleted are NOT considered as troublemakers. I consider you all as friends on the site. But...rules, are rules. :bowdown:

IMO: The current debacle with the pricing has to do with "because they can." Politics are not the main cause. Refineries down because of the electric black out, weather crap happening all over, and a good excuse for them to make a quick buck.

Here in Arkansas. It has jumped to $2.44-$2.49 for most of the gas prices we saw yesterday. Going to gas up in about an hour. :yikes:

And, I for one do miss some of the political discussions we used to have.
Unfortunately, they all eventually develop into name calling, running down specific people, or parties. The usual result was a close down of the thread.

As my friend Kermit used to say: "It aint easy being green."

Possible
03-03-2021, 03:13 PM
Gas prices go up, gas prices go down, gas prices rarely stay the same. Why get your knickers in a twist? You can pretty much count on the
price of gas to go up as spring approaches. No sense whinging.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-03-2021, 03:14 PM
It's not just gasoline. Steel prices have been shooting upward over the past year also. The local scrap metal yard is paying $95/ton for steel scrap in form of appliances and such. A year ago they were paying about $25/ton. A couple people, one a parking lot and traffic lighting contractor and the other an irrigation system supplier, said just a few days ago that they have seen steel product pricing at least double in the last year. An old D2 Caterpillar that my brother has may finally be worth hauling to a scrap yard. It hasn't been that for 30 or 40 years.

gkamer
03-03-2021, 03:15 PM
Here in Washington, the House just passed a bill that will add 57¢ a gallon. It has gone to the Senate for a vote. This money is supposed to subsidize electric vehicle recharging stations.

Possible
03-03-2021, 03:19 PM
The people passing these bills are simply representatives of the people of the state, and follow the will of the people. Apparently the majority of
the people want EV supply lines subsidized. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I don't live there.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-03-2021, 03:22 PM
Maybe it's time to go with hydrogen! Use solar energy to split water molecules, recover the energy by recombining them in an engine or fuel cell creating water as the waste product. 100% clean energy! :2thumbs:

Possible
03-03-2021, 03:35 PM
I believe Hydrogen is still being seriously looked into. I think the main problems with it are the cost of production and issues of storage.

ARtraveler
03-03-2021, 04:15 PM
RE: Electric vehicles and EV charging stations.

Since the grid is on the brink of collapsing due to all the demand, what in the heck are they going to do when everyone starts plugging in two or so electric vehicles to add to the drain on the system???

Isn't that going to increase demand on the grid even more???

Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking. :dontknow:

Fatcycledaddy
03-03-2021, 04:24 PM
Not to mention that most of the electricity will have to come from fossil fuel, after all look what happened to Texas, the windmills totaly failed in the cold weather.
https://thefederalist.com/2021/02/18/basic-math-shows-wind-energy-failures-contributed-to-texas-deadly-power-loss/

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-03-2021, 05:58 PM
look what happened to Texas, the windmills totaly failed in the cold weather.
The wind turbines failed because of capitalist greed. Had the owners spent the $$ necessary to insulate the turbines, and use oil in them suitable for cold weather, they would have kept turning just like thousands of turbines do in the northern states and in countries like Finland and Sweden. The turbine failure is totally inexcusable.

Besides, the power companies were warned 10 years ago they needed to take precautions to prepare for cold weather, but they ignored the warnings.

Brad0414
03-03-2021, 06:12 PM
We all know what happened. Just try to buy ammo.

YOU ARE NOT KIDDING:agree:

Possible
03-03-2021, 06:39 PM
RE: Electric vehicles and EV charging stations.

Since the grid is on the brink of collapsing due to all the demand, what in the heck are they going to do when everyone starts plugging in two or so electric vehicles to add to the drain on the system???

Isn't that going to increase demand on the grid even more???

Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking. :dontknow:

On an RV forum I belong to, there are several vociferous proponents of EV's, and they continuously contend there is no problem with the
electric grid, and besides the EV's will be mostly charging at night when there is a surplus of capacity. In their eyes if you're not a EV owner,
you're a Luddite.

I try not to get involved since I actually know little about the electric grid and its condition.

canamjhb
03-03-2021, 06:52 PM
Something to think about when discussing fuel prices. Everything, and I mean everything from Autos to Zucchini, comes to us from truckers moving products. Add 10, 20, or 30% to the delivery cost and guess what happens.....? Jim

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-03-2021, 06:58 PM
The problem is we are humans with a scope of knowledge determined by our humanity. Our knowledge base is solid for what, about 100 years backward and 10 years forward, with additional narrow streams of knowledge going back maybe 5 to 10 thousand years. When you put that up against natural cycles that may be 100,000 to a million years long, it is rather pretentious that any of us, regardless of our personal viewpoint and vision, can think that we know what the future holds, or even what phase of the current cycle we are in.

ARtraveler
03-03-2021, 07:18 PM
On an RV forum I belong to, there are several vociferous proponents of EV's, and they continuously contend there is no problem with the
electric grid, and besides the EV's will be mostly charging at night when there is a surplus of capacity. In their eyes if you're not a EV owner,
you're a Luddite.

I try not to get involved since I actually know little about the electric grid and its condition.

I do not claim to be any expert when it comes to the electric grid. Just going on recent happenings. I note you are from MO. During the "crises," MO, AR, and TX were given warnings about rolling blackouts. They had some in parts of MO, and AR. We were not affected. And, we all know what happened in TX. The last word was four and a half minutes from total collapse. Had that happened, the comment was that they would have gone without for weeks or more. They have also experienced rolling blackouts and brownouts in CA.

Somethings going on for sure. :bowdown:

Cal777
03-03-2021, 08:44 PM
I thought we have been constantly warned over the last several years about the weather getting warmer? The way I
remember, back in the 80’s they were warning about another ice age coming.

Peter Aawen
03-03-2021, 11:25 PM
A reminder of site rule #2.

Political posts are NOT allowed on the site.

I hate to be the one, but going to have to go back and delete the various posts about parties, names, and that they are the cause of the "new" gas prices. Those being deleted are NOT considered as troublemakers. I consider you all as friends on the site. But...rules, are rules. :bowdown:

IMO: The current debacle with the pricing has to do with "because they can." Politics are not the main cause. Refineries down because of the electric black out, weather crap happening all over, and a good excuse for them to make a quick buck.

Here is Arkansas. It has jumped to $2.44-$2.49 for most of the gas prices we saw yesterday. Going to gas up in about an hour. :yikes:

And, I for one do miss some of the political discussions we used to have.
Unfortunately, they all eventually develop into name calling, running down specific people, or parties. The usual result was a close down of the thread.

As my friend Kermit used to say: "It aint easy being green."

AR posted the last one, but that didn't seem to stop the posts with a political bent that have since been deleted, so here's another reminder people....

Regardless of what your thoughts about any of it might be, on THIS Forum we are not going to let this thread or any stray down the path of getting personal &/or all political.... and just cos we are now posting on a 'new page', it doesn't mean that you can get away with ignoring the previous warning! :lecturef_smilie:

This is the second warning in this thread now - if you want to get your digs in on any political party, governor, civic leader, or any particular state or country leader &/or administration, then I'd suggest that you just DON'T DO IT HERE! :banghead:

Thank you for playing & posting by the rules given to us by the bloke who has very kindly provided this Forum & allowed us all to come on in & share our Spyder/Ryker experiences & knowledge . :thumbup: