PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the Pedal Commander plug n play Throttle Controller?

Trikerjim
02-28-2021, 11:25 AM
Anyone tried the pedal commander plug n play throttle controller ?

Peter Aawen
02-28-2021, 06:17 PM
If you enter 'Pedal; +Commander' into the search field that's up towards the top left of the page, and click on the 'Search Titles Only' box from the drop down options list, you should get a bunch of threads with a lot of discussion on doing exactly what you are asking about. :ohyea:

The search link below, that's meant to do exactly as mentioned above, may or may not work for you due to the idiosyncrasies of the platform.... :rolleyes:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1978428

MONK
02-28-2021, 08:58 PM
To answer your question directly (although I'd seriously suggest doing what Peter said and search for it), I have one on my 2021 RT. It doesn't increase the horsepower but if "feels" like it does. You know that lag between when you twist the throttle and the bike actually reacts? The Pedal Commander can take all of that out. There are (4) modes (and each mode has (8) settings): Eco, City, Sport and Sport+. Not really sure why anyone would drop $250-$300 on something to make the bike WORSE but it's their money. City mode is approximately the same as stock. (Again, not sure why anyone would spend money to gain nothing.) Sport really wakes the bike up and Sport+ shouldn't be used in traffic. I keep mine in Sport +2 or +3. Sport+, even @ -4 is just too twitchy. Might be good on a race track. You can turn the PC off in case you run into rain or the like. Then you go back to the regular throttle lag. I was at the dealer last week for my 3k mile service and turned it off so he wouldn't overshoot the lift. I forgot to turn it back on when I left, braced myself for impact then got.....nothing. Turned it back on and enjoyed the ride. As I said, it does NOT increase your power, only reducing/eliminating throttle lag. I think it would pair very nicely with a Stage 1 tune for aggressive, every day riding. I'm ordering my tune in a few weeks. Should be a rocket then. :)

volksbugusa
03-06-2021, 02:31 PM
hi..i am ready to purchase the pedal commander. but....i seem to be concerned that once installed i will start having code errors. Should I be ? Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions. Matt

Peter Aawen
03-06-2021, 02:45 PM
hi..i am ready to purchase the pedal commander. but....i seem to be concerned that once installed i will start having code errors. Should I be ? Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions. Matt

Matt, from the reports seen here, it appears that Most who fit these things have NO issues, just lotsa fun from the quicker responding throttle action. ;)

Me, I spent my $$ on an ECU Upgrade that gave me a quicker responding throttle AND more power to boot; plus a bunch of extra torque, and it 'fixed' a few other things besides :ohyea: But it's your money & your Spyder - you do what you want. :thumbup:

Ride More, Worry Less! :yes:

MONK
03-06-2021, 03:13 PM
And there are some that have upgraded the ECU AND added the Pedal Commander. I plan to get a Stage 1 next month. I already rock a Pedal Commander so once I'm done, I should be a rocket.

RayBJ
03-06-2021, 11:53 PM
I have and love the Pedal Commander and also see a PV3 on the horizon. My concern is rear wheel traction (or lack thereof) with the added power + throttle sensitivity. Is it best to put as much if not all the baggage/tools/etc in the rear and leave the frunk empty?

MRH
03-07-2021, 11:50 AM
Just don't change the settings while you are on the throttle, and you shouldn't get any codes. For me, I basically put in in the Sport mode towards the middle and I like the way my throttle reacts, and I leave it alone. I can use my app to change it at any time, and the unit is under the tupperware. It's a lot more comfortable not having to twist the throttle as far to get as much power as I'm looking for, and faster to do. It feels like more power when I'm accelerating, and it's an otherwise more comfortable ride. Most everybody I've seen who has purchased one is happy with their decision.

Peter Aawen
03-07-2021, 02:53 PM
I have and love the Pedal Commander and also see a PV3 on the horizon. My concern is rear wheel traction (or lack thereof) with the added power + throttle sensitivity. Is it best to put as much if not all the baggage/tools/etc in the rear and leave the frunk empty?

Don't faff around with trying to vary your rear wheel traction by changing the loading, the Spyder's frame & suspension design is very good at evening that all out regardless of where you put it! :lecturef_smilie:

However, you can still fairly significantly increase your Spyder's ability to 'hook-up' as well as its overall traction simply by tossing the OE Spec Kendas & fitting real auto tires with specs to suit your requirements and then running them at a suitable pressures for the load the Spyder places upon it (for most 'normal' auto tires load rated for auto's, that'll probably be around 16-18psi) I've run some reeaaallly 'sticky' track tires (that admittedly wore fairly quickly, albeit while still having better wear rates than the OE black round things :shocked: ) but you don't have to go to that extreme to get good traction - run at the right pressures, there's also a HEAP of normal auto tires that might not be exactly the same 'nominal size' (ie, the size printed on the sidewall) but are so close in physical dimensions that they are form, fit, & function replacements AND they'll work for most Spyders/Rykers significantly better than the Kendas in all respects; ride, handling, traction, longeviry, puncture resistance, et al! :thumbup:

So don't be too concerned about rear wheel traction (or lack thereof) simply because you've added a Pedal Commander & a PV3, or even if you've gone down the full-on ECU Upgrade path; there's a heap of better tires out there that will help overcome any issues in that respect that you might encounter! :ohyea:

RayBJ
03-07-2021, 08:17 PM
Thanks Peter! I'm running Q-5s all around @18 psi, Elka shocks up front, swaybar + alignment and I still can't corner like my sport-touring pals. :gaah: Nanny shuts me down mid-drift!

Revalden
03-09-2021, 12:17 AM
Thanks Peter! I'm running Q-5s all around @18 psi, Elka shocks up front, swaybar + alignment and I still can't corner like my sport-touring pals. :gaah: Nanny shuts me down mid-drift!

Trying to keep up with your sport-touring pals on a Spyder seems to be an effort in futility. When you're riding with them use your Triumph Trophy, that's what it was built for. I ride with a group/club of Harleys and they've been impressed that I can keep up with them in the twisties, but it's a lot of work on a Spyder compared to riding my 2014 Triumph Trophy or any 2-wheeler for that matter.

308gunner
03-11-2021, 02:27 PM
I run BOTH the Pedal Commander and a Stage II ECU Tune. As well as a RLS cat delete with no baffles..it's a whole new bike. The upgrades was worth every penny...

308gunner
03-11-2021, 02:31 PM
Question..do you have an ELKA shock in the rear?...if not....install one... that will increase your handling performance in the canyons..

308gunner
03-11-2021, 02:33 PM

Question..do you have an ELKA shock in the rear?...if not....install one... that will increase your handling performance in the canyons..

RayBJ
03-14-2021, 06:18 PM

Next!

volksbugusa
04-10-2021, 02:28 PM
Peter i finally purchased the unit today...should have it in about two weeks . Unless Sling ships it out early next week...Thank You

crossbowme
04-11-2021, 06:31 AM
Does the Pedal Commander affect the BRP warranty?

RayBJ
04-11-2021, 10:35 AM
Probably up to the dealer you use. It's a simple removal if you need to bring it in. It plugs in between the bike socket and the oem cable. Just unplug it and re-connect the oem cable to the socket. Sits under the right side panel.

wifesspyder
04-12-2021, 11:23 AM
I purchased a unit last winter when they were on sale. Finally got around to install a few days ago. Put the unit under the plastic and use my phone app to change it. Install was a breeze except I could not get blue tooth to sync up. Finally deleted and reloaded app and it works fine. My impression is that it adds a lot of snap to my ride. I know that it does not add HP, but the extra "go" seems like it does. I also have a CAT delete pipe installed. No codes or any problems. Been raining ever since so no extended rides yet. (2018 RTL)