PDA

View Full Version : Removed that Vile Organ

WaltH
08-30-2009, 11:36 PM
The canisterectomy has been performed. The patient is feeling well and reports that she is very happy to be rid of that “vile organ”. She further states that it is now okay for me to leave the two fire extinguishers at home.

The canisterectomy was accomplished without removing, or cutting, any hoses. The canister could be reinstalled in a few minuets, if necessary. At this point, I cannot imagine why I would ever want to put it back in the Spyder. Oetiker clamps were used for the extended vent line and the plug for the line going to the purge valve. The purge valve remains electronically online, so no fault codes will appear, otherwise it is neutralized. The extended vent line goes to the left side of the vehicle and down towards the ground. Originally, I had intended to use a fuel filter in the vent line as Firefly recommended, but my Harley technician, who did the work, talked me out of this. He said the volume of air going back into the tank would be small, and the velocity would be slow, so there was almost no chance any dirt or debris could make it back up the vent hose.

The Spyder now has a gas tank venting system similar to a 49-State Harley system, except that Harley uses a check valve in the vent line to prevent gas from draining out in the event the motorcycle tips over. It is less likely my Spyder will tip over.

After the software update I was very happy with the Spyder’s drivability, except for a slight “hesitation” (gust of wind effect) at about 4,000 RPM. This would occur intermittently, and only with a constant throttle position. The canisterectomy completely eliminated this “hesitation”. The purge valve must have been opening and closing at about 4,000 RPM.

It is well known that Spyders run better in cooler ambient temperatures. Recently, my Spyder has performed rather poorly in city traffic at 95F degrees, or so. I don’t know if this was caused by leaking exhaust gaskets which are now repaired, or if the revised purge valve timing had something to do with it. I am anxious to find out how the Spyder will perform now that both of these possible factors have been eliminated. I never thought I would say “I am hoping for a hot day”. In Florida I won’t have to wait long.

I agree with those who say the changes in purge valve timing, and possibly duration, are BRP’s way of trying to solve the fire problem without acknowledging the fire problem. Of course, we don’t know if they think this is the whole solution, or only part of the solution. Either way, a canisterectomy is a better solution for everyone not living in California. BRP cannot recommend a canisterectomy, so they must solve the problem in a less direct way. Spyder owners can recommend a canisterectomy, and so I say – “Do It”.

In my opinion, once the ambient temperatures in the southern most states start to moderate some we will see the occurrence of Spyder fires cease until next summer. I am convinced there is a correlation with very hot climates. This will take the pressure off BRP somewhat. I hope they use the time wisely and productively. This will also give Spyder owners more time to do the canisterectomy. Please do it, even if you live in Alaska. It is simple to do and it is reversible.

BillGargan
08-31-2009, 12:10 AM
Beyond conjecture, are there any factual reports on the number of Spyder spontaneous combustion events?

Understand that one is scary! But just how large a problem is this and are there any clue to the cause(s).

How many Spyders are there in the world and how many have combusted?

In 1965 my (1958?) Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce had an engine fire. It resulted from the mechanic (me) not properly tightening a bolt on the carburetor (some of you will remember carburetors) that was on the throttle body.

Fires are not always design defects . . .

NancysToy
08-31-2009, 07:46 AM
I would not go so far as to say that the reason BRP added purge valve programming was to prevent fires. I would not even be comfortable that the emmisions canister was a possible culprit, although it remains one of several front runners. I think the important thing here is that your Spyder runs well now, and your confidence has been restored. That is worth some "surgery" in anybody's book.

You can also rest easy about the "Tip-over" valve. It should remain intact at the top of the Spyder tank.

Some Guy
08-31-2009, 08:18 AM
I did this "surgery" to my Spyder yesterday. I did use a fuel filter, but mostly because it was an easy way to connect the new and old hoses together. She's running MUCH better now. :2thumbs:

ataDude
08-31-2009, 09:25 AM
... It is less likely my Spyder will tip over.

Have you thought about one of these? :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12326

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=3641

Some Guy
08-31-2009, 10:06 AM
Have you thought about one of these? :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12326

A MUST for every Spyder enthusiast!!! :thumbup:

WaltH
08-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Beyond conjecture, are there any factual reports on the number of Spyder spontaneous combustion events?

Understand that one is scary! But just how large a problem is this and are there any clue to the cause(s).

How many Spyders are there in the world and how many have combusted?

In 1965 my (1958?) Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce had an engine fire. It resulted from the mechanic (me) not properly tightening a bolt on the carburetor (some of you will remember carburetors) that was on the throttle body.

Fires are not always design defects . . .

We don't know how many Spyders there are in the world, nor do we know how many Spyder fires there have been. BRP does not release information such as this.

We don't even know how many Spyder fires there have been in North America. We only know what is reported by the members of our small Spyder community consisting of about 3,000 individuals, some of which do not yet own a Spyder.

Our members have reported seven fires in the following states: Florida, Alabama, Texas, Arizona, Southern California, North Carolina, and Illinois. All of the fires have occurred since May 4th. BRP may know of additional fires.

A dealer in another state told me that my fire on May 4th was not the first Spyder fire. If he is correct, there have been at least eight fires, maybe more.

All of the fires seem to have started in the same general area, but we do not know the cause. If BRP knows the cause, they are not talking. The two prinical suspects are the carbon canister and the oil dripping from the airbox. I have removed the carbon canister and I have installed a crankcase breather catch can so that the breather hose does not vent into the airbox. In addition, I am extremely careful about how I fill the gas tank. This issue will not be "put to bed" until BRP tells us what they think the cause of these fires has been.

WaltH
08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
I would not go so far as to say that the reason BRP added purge valve programming was to prevent fires. I would not even be comfortable that the emmisions canister was a possible culprit, although it remains one of several front runners. I think the important thing here is that your Spyder runs well now, and your confidence has been restored. That is worth some "surgery" in anybody's book.

You can also rest easy about the "Tip-over" valve. It should remain intact at the top of the Spyder tank.

Thanks Scotty: I didn't know there was a check value in the Spyder vent line. I see that BRP calls it a "rollover valve". My Spyder is now a little more like a Harley.:2thumbs:

Firefly
08-31-2009, 12:54 PM
I think the purge re-program was done more for the complaints of gas fumes---- but wouldn't be shocked if the fire issue was also in the back of somone's mind at BRP.

DannyS
08-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Well Saturday the Cannister joined the stock muffler and that little card that you were supposed to read in the corner. If I had had the stock windshield it would be in the corner also. We did get up fairly hot Saturday and the Spyder ran fine no hesitation at all. I have also had problems trying to hold a low speed like school zones. The Spyder will now go at parade speed with out a gulp. I am now very happy. I do still have the cold blood in the morning. When I first got her it would just start and go. Now I must run it a couple of minutes before going.:2thumbs: