PDA

View Full Version : 6k New front tires

fastfraser
08-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Got the :spyder2: back yesterday, in the shop for 3 days while they tried to figure out why the insides of both front tires are down to the wear bars. Bottom line had to replace both front tires after 6,000 miles as the mech said the alignment was to specs. and it is normal wear and tear. He said BRP said that 4,500 to 15,000 miles is what you should get out of the front tires and that the tires should be rotated at every service.
Man i think someone just shoveled me a pile of hooey. I can't find anywhere in my service schedule where it said to rotate tires and i know others out there are getting 15- 25,000 miles on there tires and still going.
I have the Evolution sway bar and Ride-ON in the tires, does anyone think that could be the source of my problems. I personally think it's an alingment problem.
Anyone out there having wear on both insides of the front tires and if so at how many miles.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

ataDude
08-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Got the :spyder2: back yesterday, in the shop for 3 days while they tried to figure out why the insides of both front tires are down to the wear bars. Bottom line had to replace both front tires after 6,000 miles as the mech said the alignment was to specs. and it is normal wear and tear. He said BRP said that 4,500 to 15,000 miles is what you should get out of the front tires and that the tires should be rotated at every service.
Man i think someone just shoveled me a pile of hooey. I can't find anywhere in my service schedule where it said to rotate tires and i know others out there are getting 15- 25,000 miles on there tires and still going.
I have the Evolution sway bar and Ride-ON in the tires, does anyone think that could be the source of my problems. I personally think it's an alingment problem.
Anyone out there having wear on both insides of the front tires and if so at how many miles.

There have been a number of folks whose toe-in/out was out of spec (basically neutral)... causing the condition you are talking about.

BajaRon
08-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Not knowing anything about the situation (which gives me complete liberty to talk like I have all the answers) I would say you got a double load of hooey.

I've got 14k on my front tires and they don't look like they have any wear at all. Lamont has about 40k on his Spyder and his front tires don't look much different than mine.

We both have the sway bar and we both ride hard in plenty of windy roads.

My 2 cents....got to be alignment on your Spyder.

4,500 miles on a set of front tires? Even the rear tire gets 3 times that amount.

Did they tell you that with a straight face?

rleathen
08-30-2009, 05:27 PM
I have almost 12000K on my bike and the front tires still look to be in really good shape with no uneven wear. I do not have the sway bar but I do have Ride-on in the tires (not that that makes a difference to this issue). My gut feeling is that you were met with a very big sh*t shovel !

Tom in NM
08-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Anyone out there having wear on both insides of the front tires and if so at how many miles?

:hun: How do you wear out the INSIDES of your tires???? :yikes:

:joke:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

First, I would go straight to the source, I would contact Kenda. Their email address is: motorcycle@kendausa.com
Tell them you "have a BRP Can Am Spyder with your tires;
Front: MC165/65R14 47H
Rear: MC 225/50R15 68H"

Explain the situation with the front tires. (verify the tire models I gave you are correct for what is on your Spyder)

I had a question on the tires and asked them. They got back to me in under 30 minutes, even on my follow-up questions.

After that, depending on the answers I got, I would probably cross check with Carlo at BRP.

I have 5.5k on my tires - all kinds of roads ( mostly bad ) and expressways, mine look brand new. ( on the outside, I have not checked the insides )

Tom

docdoru
08-30-2009, 05:51 PM
... as the mech said the alignment was to specs. and it is normal wear and tear. He said BRP said that 4,500 to 15,000 miles is what you should get out of the front tires and that the tires should be rotated at every service.

:roflblack:
Ask the "mechanic" why I have 43K (left) and 48K (right) on the front tires? Without rotation. I'll PM you another question to ask. :thumbup:

DragonSpyder
08-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Had same problem with mine. Was set to toe-out. I adjusted them for a slight toe-in and it handles much better and wearing properly.

Lamonster
08-30-2009, 06:50 PM
You should get 30K out of the front's easy. nojoke

WaltH
08-30-2009, 07:38 PM
I think you should get 40,000 miles on the front tires. I had 36,500 miles on Spyder#1 and the front tires were going strong. There was some extra wear on the right front inside, but not enough so that I would not expect another 4,000 miles easy. I think that inside wear, which has been reported by others, is a result of the crown of the road. I do a lot of long distance highway riding.

Your tires are directional which means they cannot be rotated without removing them from the rims. I never rotate the tires. It is too labor intensive.

Spyder#2 has more than 18,000 miles and the front tires look like new.

Roaddog2
08-30-2009, 07:43 PM
15K even wear look great no rotation yet :ani29:

Firefly
08-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Never had a bike that got much over 5K on the rear and 10K on the front----- and I'm finding the Spyder to be only slightly better than that. My rear was basically bald by 8,000 miles. My fronts had wear on the insides by 9,000 miles - so I rotated them--- now have 12K and doubt the fronts will last beyond 15K.

So I think the 2 to 1 rule is about right for the Spyder also. Running the pressures lower than before now in hopes of lasting a bit longer.

I ride mine really hard 80% of the time--- which may have a lot to do with the wear--- not to mention I seem to go thru gas like no tomorrow--- :doorag:

Thing that gets me is we don't have the twisties up here in Michigan like you folks do in TN----- Not sure if I'm going to need to change my fronts before the trip or not--- considering the type of riding we'll be doing once we are down there---- I sure as heck don't want to run out of tread!

medeff
08-31-2009, 11:26 PM
I had the same problem at 4500 miles. BRP said i was riding to agressivly. they said that my tires being atotal of a inch and a quarter toed out had nothing to do with it even though there spec say neutral no in or out within .5mm. my dealer his rep and I complained enough to replace them under warranty. I have yet to talk to an alignment shop that agread with BRP. they all say a sixth is way to much

kman
09-01-2009, 03:54 AM
I have the same problem with only 4600 miles.how do you adjust the toe?.

DragonSpyder
09-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Loosen both ends of the tie rod and then rotate the tie-rod so it pulls the front of the tire inward. There are many ways to check the Toe once you adjust but if you only make small adjustments you can get away without checking.

Google search for checking TOE on an ATV.

http://www.google.com/search?q=atv+checking+toe&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

Greg H.
09-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I have 18,400 miles on my Spyder now.

While I was having the dealer change my oil this past Saturday, the head mechanic mentioned that my fronts were wearing some on the inside hitting the wear bars. And, they will probably need to be replaced when the back tire is due. I didn't even really notice. They seemed about even to me. I hope to get to at least 21,000 miles before the rear needs replacement. My first rear tire, I had replaced at 10,200 miles. I probably could have gone further. I was being careful.

Me personally; I'm not messing with any tie rods. I'll be leaving all that to my dealer. I certainly am not qualified to make adjustments like that. But, 40,000 miles on 1 set of fronts? Nice!

hondaman
09-15-2009, 04:10 PM
my right tire is worn on the inside kinda bad,but the left is new.did find some movement in the right upper arm.That can throw off the camber.The left arm has no movement.

SpyderByter
09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
I just had to have both of my front tires replaced at 10 K. They were worn on the insides, as well as having more wear on one more than the other. I extra figured the inside wear was caused by two things. I corner very hard when riding solo, and I am heavy. I figure the front end may be squating lower due to my wieght and riding lower than normal.

The uneven wear part though has to be a problem with the bike. My dealer called BRP and they told him I must have hit a pothole and bent the A arm, and they will not cover it.

I told them I am sure I hit a pothole at some point in my 10,000 miles of riding on the road, some manhole covers too.

I forgot to tell the dealer to ask BRP where I am supposed to ride it if it was not meant to be ridden on the street. I have hit many bumps in the road on other vehicles and bikes without causing major damage. Do they not have potholes and manhole covers in Canada? :dontknow:

kman
09-15-2009, 08:05 PM
I have 6750 miles on mine and I have the same problem with more wear on the inside.My dealer told me the same thing that they will wear like that if you ride agressively and alot of twisties and hills with the crown in the road.:dontknow:I thought it was a bunch of :cus: too!I have a shop manual on cd and if I remember correctly you attach a bar with spacers to the frame and put a laser level on the calipers against the rotor and check it to two different points along the bar but I don't remeber the spacing of the points but I think it should be a quarter of an inch difference between them for toe out.If i ever get the time I think I will do this myself.

medeff
09-19-2009, 08:37 AM
I have 6750 miles on mine and I have the same problem with more wear on the inside.My dealer told me the same thing that they will wear like that if you ride agressively and alot of twisties and hills with the crown in the road.:dontknow:I thought it was a bunch of :cus: too!I have a shop manual on cd and if I remember correctly you attach a bar with spacers to the frame and put a laser level on the calipers against the rotor and check it to two different points along the bar but I don't remeber the spacing of the points but I think it should be a quarter of an inch difference between them for toe out.If i ever get the time I think I will do this myself.

no to out or toe in, straight is what it calls for

DragonSpyder
09-19-2009, 05:56 PM
If your tires are wearing on the insides it is NOT from riding aggresive or having too much weight. The Toe is not set correctly and should be fixed.

irish2themax
06-02-2010, 07:12 AM
On my cross-country trip, I had a similar problem except with the outside tread. Both worn down to slick after 12,000 miles

j45p3r
06-02-2010, 08:57 AM
The insides of my fronts, especially left front, are toast after 8000 miles.

BajaRon
06-02-2010, 11:07 PM
http://wendyusuallywanders.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/cow-pie.jpg?w=253&h=250http://wendyusuallywanders.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/cow-pie.jpg?w=253&h=250http://wendyusuallywanders.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/cow-pie.jpg?w=253&h=250

I was only going to post 2 of these but with those guys at your shop they'll probably add more to your load when the rear tire wears out!

Roadkill
06-03-2010, 08:26 PM
+Granted, the service manual states, "It is normal to see uneven wear on tires depending on how the vehicle is driven and road conditions. The front tires external or internal edges tread will wear unevenly depending on if the vehicle is driven smoothly or aggressively."

I ride very aggressively, but this kind of wear is abnormal, and, purportedly non-adjustable.

The stock tires could provide excellent mileage if the rubber didn't wear off in this fashion on only one edge.
http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_10172.JPG

The Bridgestone Potenzas are doing okay so far, but I also anticipate their early death due to the supposed non-adjustability.
http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_10178.JPG

Henceforth, my aim's gonna need to be expense vs. durability at this point...

Ride on.
Roadkill

bone crusher
06-03-2010, 09:39 PM
If your tires are wearing on the insides it is NOT from riding aggresive or having too much weight. The Toe is not set correctly and should be fixed.

I'd like to know what tire pressure everyone is using in the fronts...the more the tire pressure, the more you are going to wear the middle of the tire...less rubber on the road...

I run 18 and 28 at this time but am considering lowering it a little for more riding comfort...

Firefly
06-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I'd like to know what tire pressure everyone is using in the fronts...the more the tire pressure, the more you are going to wear the middle of the tire...less rubber on the road...

I run 18 and 28 at this time but am considering lowering it a little for more riding comfort...

17 and 26 here. My rear used to wear much worse in the middle-- so I lowered the pressure down to 26. My fronts had the 'inside' wear that others have seen--- especially the first set that I got around 12K out of. I do believe that rotating them will help in the long run.

Firefly
06-03-2010, 09:52 PM
http://wendyusuallywanders.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/cow-pie.jpg?w=253&h=250http://wendyusuallywanders.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/cow-pie.jpg?w=253&h=250http://wendyusuallywanders.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/cow-pie.jpg?w=253&h=250

I was only going to post 2 of these but with those guys at your shop they'll probably add more to your load when the rear tire wears out!

What in the Wild Wild World of Sports are those ????

boborgera
06-03-2010, 09:54 PM

When i check my pressure i set them the same as you 18f 28r.
I have over 12 thousand miles on them, Fronts look almost new the rear only 25% worn.

BMW
06-03-2010, 09:59 PM
cow pies:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

MackeyMouse
06-03-2010, 11:09 PM

Thanks in advance for your replies. I had mine rotated and an alignment at 4800 or more or there abouts. Alignment was off almost 1/4 inch. There doesn't seem to be any alignment machine available so my mech did it by hand. Figured I go on older back roads A LOT and the W factor is why they went worn on insides.Then to seems to be a thing with the :spyder2: Don't know how to fix it right permanently.

bone crusher
06-04-2010, 06:31 AM

Yummy....cinnamon rolls! :yes:

bone crusher
06-04-2010, 06:34 AM
17 and 26 here. My rear used to wear much worse in the middle-- so I lowered the pressure down to 26. My fronts had the 'inside' wear that others have seen--- especially the first set that I got around 12K out of. I do believe that rotating them will help in the long run.

Ya know what...I'm gonna lower mine a little...I think 17 in front and 26 rear is fine...still above what BRP recommends. I used to be at 20/30, but the ride was sooooo hard...at 18, 28, still a little too rigid for my liking...I think the 13 in front as per BRP is a bit low, but if you go too far up, it might adversely affect tire wear...plus, it makes the ride harder and allows for more vibration, IMHO...