PDA

View Full Version : Recall decision

mvengineer
08-30-2009, 12:54 PM
My first thread on this wonderful web site. Wonderful bunch of people.
I am scheduled for my 3K oil change and Corbin seat install next week. I am sceptacle about the recall update. Based on lamont survey, and what I have been reading, about 40% are reporting problems. My spyder runs perfect now and I have learned to deal with a few shifting gliches (09/SE5) I have had so far. Any words of wisdom.

BumbleBee
08-30-2009, 01:01 PM
I am scheduled for my 3K oil change and Corbin seat install next week. I am sceptacle about the recall update. Based on lamont survey, and what I have been reading, about 40% are reporting problems. My spyder runs perfect now and I have learned to deal with a few shifting gliches (09/SE5) I have had so far. Any words of wisdom.

(09/SE5), Get the recall and groundwire done. I had minor hesitations before the service, and now runs even smoother then before. So far the hesitation is also gone. :thumbup:

Statistics are higher for no changes and running better. I took my chances!

ataDude
08-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Opposing view: IMHO, wait it out as long as you can. As soon as the dealer hooks your Spyder up for any maintenance, you'll be forced to take the update as it stands. And, you'll apparently have a 40% chance of being disappointed. That's pretty high... I'd like to have those odds in Las Vegas.

Like others have said, if it isn't broke, don't fix it! Check with your dealer to see if they'll do the ground wire fix without the software updates.

I haven't had the original update, nor will I have the update-to-the-update, until it's field-tested and proven. All of this reminds me of Microsoft and their updates for the updates... "Ahhh, another blue screen of death!"

On the other hand, we apparently know most of the the problems are... software timing changes to the purge value for the gas tank venting...it opens up the vacumn at the throttle bodies at "inopportune times" and creates the equivalent of a severe vacumn leak. If you're handy, you can do the "canisterectomy" described in other threads here and fix that problem yourself. Lamont even has a video here describing the test.

Bersquack
08-30-2009, 01:14 PM
See here. Doc brings a good point about the update instructions.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=137282&postcount=7

Tom in NM
08-30-2009, 01:17 PM

If you take the Spyder in, the recall update will be done. PERIOD.

You have probably seen the threads:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=134477&postcount=19

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13826

And you have read about pinching off the evap canister to see if that is the problem.

So, make sure the dealer does a full test run and performs the upgrade as BRP instructed. You may experience some issues - so ride accordingly, be prepared for some of the problems that others have encountered. (cell phone, dealer's #, an easy test route home) Just be prepared.

Also, be prepared to have a Spyder that runs and handles just the same or better - slightly different to very nice.

But, make sure you talk to the dealer about your "shifting glitches". I am not sure what kind of issues you are experiencing, but if a SE5 is having occasional shifting problems - THAT IS NOT NORMAL or a good sign - something is not working right. The grounding wire install may help, but watch out for this.

Tom

BumbleBee
08-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I use to have loud clunking noises while shifting, that is all gone now :thumbup:

SpyderRider2492
08-30-2009, 01:51 PM
After I had the update done I thought the Spyder did not run as well and I was disapointed and kinda wished I had never taken it in, however, and its a big however, after a tankful of gas it appears to be back as before except the steering is sooooo much better. I had got used to it as it was and thought this is how it was supposed to be so all in all for me it worked out I think.

It does run a little bit hotter however after seeing Lamonts explanations when he fitted a really nice temp gauge it appears I have nothing to be concerned about. My fan comes on the second it shows 5 bars and in a brief run yesterday, including being stuck in the bakeing sun at a set of lights that did not want to change and heavy traffic in 109f temps (that was not fun) it behaved better than I could have expected. :thumbup:

BajaRon
08-30-2009, 03:53 PM

I would frankly express the concerns I had before getting the work done.

Find out how many updates the dealer has done to date. Find out if they have experienced problems with the updates already done.

I am more and more leaning toward the install process performed by the dealer being the issue more than the process itself. I just can't explain the huge variance in results with no common thread.

First everyone assumed it was aftermarket mods causing problems. But with the number of highly modified Spyders suffering no ill effects how can that be the reason? Doesn't make sense.

Then there is the fair number of bone stock Spyders that are having problems. Completely debunks the Mod/No Mod theory for me.

The dealer Lamont and I went to had done 4 updates before ours (if I remember correctly) with no issues.

Lamont and I have quite a few intake/exhaust modifications with the JB thrown in and had no issues.

The deciding factor is that BRP feels stongly enough about the update to make it mandantory. BRP has the biggest knowledge base and they must have their reasons.

If your dealer has a good track record I'd go for it.

BajaRon
08-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Lamont, maybe you should start another POLL to separate out who is having problems and who isn't. This might shed more light on the original theory of modifications being the issue.

Good or bad results for Bone Stock Spyders (intake/exhaust, fuel map modifier wise). I don't mean like a Corbin seat or NMN risers, etc., that would have nothing to do with the update.

And Good or bad resluts for Spyders with intake/exhaust mods.

From what I can tell the problems may be pretty evenly distributed between the mod'ed and the stock Spyders. It seems like the stock Spyders are having as many problems as those with intake/exhaust mods.

If this is true then the mod theory doesn't stand up.

mvengineer
08-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Thank you Bajaron for your advice. I will check to see how many updates my dealer has done and that will be a indication of his success. I agree with you, logic tells you it is how the dealer handles the update.

BLACK WIDOW
08-30-2009, 04:17 PM

Since I had the recall done my spyder has never ran better, but after having said that, mine went through a rough running period after the recall which required some adjustments to the JB and some good hard riding. Now I can say without reservation that my ride has NEVER PERFORMED BETTER than it does today and is the most FUN ride I have ever owned. Get your update, just make sure they properly check the operation afterwards. There is a lot of good info from creditable sources on this web site to help should you have any issues.nojoke

Michael:doorag:

Batmobile
08-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Thank you Bajaron for your advice. I will check to see how many updates my dealer has done and that will be a indication of his success. I agree with you, logic tells you it is how the dealer handles the update.
:agree:

Dragonrider
08-30-2009, 06:20 PM
I watched the "update" done twice (to my Spyder) - let's see... find the file on the laptop.... open the trunk... plug in the cable.... hit enter... "BLEEP"... done.

Never met a dealer who could screw that up...

Tom in NM
08-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I watched the "update" done twice (to my Spyder) - let's see... find the file on the laptop.... open the trunk... plug in the cable.... hit enter... "BLEEP"... done.

. . . . . Except, the instructions said to plug in the cable before starting the computer.

docdoru
08-30-2009, 06:58 PM

IMHO your dealer DID NOT follow the BRP bulletin procedure...:yikes:

bjt
08-31-2009, 08:49 AM

I guess that's the point. I'm told it's not as simple as plugging in, hitting enter and then being done. My Spyder's been running great since the update was done by the guy who told me he thinks it's an incorrect install procedure that causes Spyders to run poorly after the update. Your Spyder ran poorly after the update, right? :dontknow:

ArmyJoe
08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
. . . . . Except, the instructions said to plug in the cable before starting the computer.

And I bet it also says to make sure the laptop is plugged into a AC source and not running on battery power.

BajaRon
08-31-2009, 08:59 PM
I guess that's the point. I'm told it's not as simple as plugging in, hitting enter and then being done. My Spyder's been running great since the update was done by the guy who told me he thinks it's an incorrect install procedure that causes Spyders to run poorly after the update. Your Spyder ran poorly after the update, right? :dontknow:

Very Interesting!

If the tech that did DragonRider's Spyder made the process look idiot proof:

And if DragonRider's Spyder ran poorly after the update:

It very well might be that there is more to the update than DragonRider's tech is aware of.

Trumpybob
09-01-2009, 05:14 AM
Very Interesting!

If the tech that did DragonRider's Spyder made the process look idiot proof:

And if DragonRider's Spyder ran poorly after the update:

It very well might be that there is more to the update than DragonRider's tech is aware of.

I absolutely agree. It is not just a case of "plug it in and hit enter". Had mine done and it's never run better.

bone crusher
09-01-2009, 06:01 AM

Is 'skeptacle' like 'spectacle'?

Anyway, the update is a gov't recommended adjustment due to KNOWN issues with steering...meaning, you have a problem, you might die...

The issues with sputtering that about 40% of the people are having...that situation is not potentially life-threatening...annoying and frustrating, but not deadly...

Most people are not having problems with the update.

I'd go with what the NHTSA recommends as a steering problem far outweights the complaint many are having with fuel or whatever issues.

If your steering locks, who really cares about sputtering? You won't be around to ride your bike anyway... :yikes:

bone crusher
09-01-2009, 06:03 AM
If you take the Spyder in, the recall update will be done. PERIOD.

You have probably seen the threads:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=134477&postcount=19

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13826

And you have read about pinching off the evap canister to see if that is the problem.

So, make sure the dealer does a full test run and performs the upgrade as BRP instructed. You may experience some issues - so ride accordingly, be prepared for some of the problems that others have encountered. (cell phone, dealer's #, an easy test route home) Just be prepared.

Also, be prepared to have a Spyder that runs and handles just the same or better - slightly different to very nice.

But, make sure you talk to the dealer about your "shifting glitches". I am not sure what kind of issues you are experiencing, but if a SE5 is having occasional shifting problems - THAT IS NOT NORMAL or a good sign - something is not working right. The grounding wire install may help, but watch out for this.

Tom

good point...the dealer likely won't give your bike back unless the update is done because it is a gov't issued recall...it really has to be done as the consequences far outweigh any other issue...

bone crusher
09-01-2009, 06:07 AM
Since I had the recall done my spyder has never ran better, but after having said that, mine went through a rough running period after the recall which required some adjustments to the JB and some good hard riding. Now I can say without reservation that my ride has NEVER PERFORMED BETTER than it does today and is the most FUN ride I have ever owned. Get your update, just make sure they properly check the operation afterwards. There is a lot of good info from creditable sources on this web site to help should you have any issues.nojoke

Michael:doorag:

I wonder what the implications are, if any, for someone who recommends not getting a NHTSA update and then a person following that advice has a steering lock and doesn't make it...hmmmm? I'm wondering why 60% are fine and 40% are not...there must be an installation glitch as we all have the same bikes...my bike, like yours, runs fine following the update...there shouldn't be a need to remove parts from the bike to make it run better...

Magic Man
09-01-2009, 06:59 AM
I wonder what the implications are, if any, for someone who recommends not getting a NHTSA update and then a person following that advice has a steering lock and doesn't make it...hmmmm?

About the same as a person telling you to go "jump off a bridge" and you do.

You don't have to follow anybody's recommendations, and it is ultimately your choice one way or another. So, just because someone has their own view does not mean you have to follow it, and that if you do they somehow become the "blame guy" if you do.

This kind of thinking is what is going wrong with this country. Seems nobody's responsible for their own decisions anymore? Somehow, "there must be somebody else I can blame if things in my life go wrong, as it's not my fault things in my life go bad, it's somebody elses!" :gaah:

Do it or don't do it it's your choice. Key words here are YOUR CHOICE" nobody elses.

MM

BumbleBee
09-01-2009, 07:15 AM

You don't have to follow anybody's recommendations, and it is ultimately your choice one way or another. So, just because someone has their own view does not mean you have to follow it, and that if you do they somehow become the "blame guy" if you do.

This kind of thinking is what is going wrong with this country. Seems nobody's responsible for their own decisions anymore? Somehow, "there must be somebody else I can blame if things in my life go wrong, as it's not my fault things in my life go bad, it's somebody elses!" :gaah:

Do it or don't do it it's your choice. Key words here are YOUR CHOICE" nobody elses.

MM

:agree:with you!!! We have our own choices to make.

bjt
09-01-2009, 07:47 AM
I wonder what the implications are, if any, for someone who recommends not getting a NHTSA update and then a person following that advice has a steering lock and doesn't make it...hmmmm?

MM

I think it the implications would depend on how good someone's lawyer is and how sympathetic a judge and jury would be. Agreeing with Evan, so many people don't take responsibility for their own actions. As if there's not enough general info out there that a person wouldn't know that smoking two packs a day can cause lung cancer or eating fast food 7 days a week, two times a day can make you overweight. There's another group of people who think of the legal system as their "road to riches". The 10 most ridiculous lawsuits. (http://www.the-injury-lawyer-directory.com/ridiculous_lawsuits.html)

bone crusher
09-01-2009, 09:20 AM

MM

Evan,

Obviously that makes sense...if you listen to someone's advice, you do so at your own peril...I'm more-so throwing that thought at those who are advising against the update because of minor issues as compared to a major issue! I think it's a short-sighted and poor thing to recommend...

How about if someone here starts a new and creative way to dramatically improve mileage, everyone collaborates on how great the change is and recommends it, and one person, by doing it, blows up...it is later found that the change creates complications that adversely affect the function of the bike and these problems were not considered by those recommending the changes...liability still only with the poor soul who got blown up?

Tripod
09-01-2009, 12:55 PM
I had my SE5 done right after the recall letter came out. I also had the coil pack ground strap fix done and I "insisted" that the GPS be replaced while they had it. I also told them that I'm watching the Spyder boards and that some dealerships are not doing the DPS properly. Anyway, I runs much better and I'm happy with it. My point is...let them know that you're looking over their shoulder and expecting everything you deserve.

Tripod :joke:

Magic Man
09-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Evan,

...liability still only with the poor soul who got blown up?

100% correct! :2thumbs:

So as always follow your own heart and mind, and don't just follow the crowd. You'll be better off. :clap:

Listen to everything for sure, but educate yourself enough to know the jems from the terds. :shocked:

Don't be rude,but don't become so self doubting that you become a Lemming in the process. :thumbup:

MM

bone crusher
09-01-2009, 03:05 PM
100% correct! :2thumbs:

So as always follow your own heart and mind, and don't just follow the crowd. You'll be better off. :clap:

Listen to everything for sure, but educate yourself enough to know the jems from the terds. :shocked:

Don't be rude,but don't become so self doubting that you become a Lemming in the process. :thumbup:

MM

Okay, where do I jump? :D

Zerocool
09-01-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm puzzled by the whole recall issue since a) I have had no serious running issues with my :spyder: since I received it in April 2008 and b) my :spyder: is running great since the update.

I just got back from a 50 mile jaunt up and down the highway and there's no hesitation, surging, sputtering, etc. The only backfiring is due to me rolling too quickly off the throttle w/o downshifting, like on an exit ramp; poor control of the crampbuster on my part is to blame. I can backfire at will, I've also learned how to control the throttle to where it never backfires.

I believe others are having real issues since the update. All I'm saying is :spyder: PE 2475 has been performing great since the update and continues to perform best when being run hard and fast.