PDA

View Full Version : Left side foot brake

Pogo
08-30-2009, 04:14 AM
Hi all. I promised some pics of my brake mod. I arranged this from 1000km away, letting the guy who volunteered to do the mod (a contact through the Ulysses Club) decide how to do it.

I'm a right leg A-K amp, so the brake had to go to where I could reach it. What resulted was a mechanical link, placing a foot brake on the left side. (My Spyder is an SE, so the space was empty)

I have posted pics of the mods on my photobucket page <http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/oo248/Pogo1/Spyder%20Mods/>

One unforeseen difficulty was that the frame flexes when cornering. :hun: The rod that runs across the frame would bind, either holding the brake on or making it hard to apply. This was solved by adding a flexible coupling to one end.

The coupling passes inside the belt. It therefore has to be disassembled when the belt has to be removed. This shouldn't be a frequent problem. :pray:

I'm happy to answer questions about how it works for me, but as I didn't do the work, I can't tell you much about the fabrication.

I've done 7000km on this now. Once I got used to using my left foot to brake instead of chasing gear, it has been brilliant. :thumbup:

Cheers;

Pogo.

mike3069
08-30-2009, 05:46 PM
:2thumbs: That is a great looking setup!:bowdown: