PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable RT Air Wings 2020 / 2021

JimboRTS
02-10-2021, 11:02 AM
Can Am offers upper and lower adjustable Air-Wings for the 2020 / 2021 RT Spyder. Price a pair $99.00. Has anyone purchased them and do you like them?

Jim

MONK
02-10-2021, 11:32 AM
Following. I had them on my '18 RT. Not quite the same since there was only a single "wing" on each side but those worked stunningly! I'm guessing these will be even better. Still, I'd like to know from someone who has actually installed them. I know there was someone who had ordered them from a dealer in FL (?) but I don't recall if he ever installed them or even received them.

TIMMB
02-10-2021, 12:53 PM
I bought them but haven't installed them yet, no riding season yet. I will start putting on the farkles next month!

MONK
02-10-2021, 02:20 PM
I bought them but haven't installed them yet, no riding season yet. I will start putting on the farkles next month!

They're easy to install. Looks like about a :30 minute job for both sides (all (4) wings). Get to it! :)

Woodaddict
02-10-2021, 03:29 PM
is anybody BUT BRP selling these wings? 2015 RTL

MONK
02-10-2021, 03:33 PM
is anybody BUT BRP selling these wings? 2015 RTL

The wings on a 2020+ are different than on the previous gen. I haven't seen anybody but BuRP selling either version. I hope to have some in the spring once the dealer gets them in stock. I'll ride down and show them to you.

Woodaddict
02-10-2021, 07:32 PM
The wings on a 2020+ are different than on the previous gen. I haven't seen anybody but BuRP selling either version. I hope to have some in the spring once the dealer gets them in stock. I'll ride down and show them to you.

yeah, i saw them on your 2018, just wanted to know if any cheaper prices than OEM

larryd
02-10-2021, 07:58 PM
You may want to check "Baker Air Wings"...A site sponsor...I have them on my 2014 RTS... they also make a special set that work with the BRP air scoops...larryd

Woodaddict
02-10-2021, 09:29 PM
You may want to check "Baker Air Wings"...A site sponsor...I have them on my 2014 RTS... they also make a special set that work with the BRP air scoops...larryd

YEAH, I don't want "Baker", its an add on, I want the nice snugly fit ones that replace the clear wind diverter under the mirrors

Jetfixer
02-13-2021, 07:30 AM
like to see these in person...

Jetfixer
02-14-2021, 12:47 PM
Well that didn't take long. Sorry, couldn't get image to rotate properly..

Better photos in post 17 below.

MONK
02-14-2021, 01:13 PM
How about a quick video showing you opening/closing them?

ButterSmooth
02-14-2021, 01:33 PM
How about a quick video showing you opening/closing them?

And the part #s.

Jetfixer
02-14-2021, 01:40 PM
The upper pair is part number 219401040, and the lower pair is 219401088. Might be able to do video later. They are 3 position like the ones for earlier models. You have to remove the black service panel, the side panel and the front fender panel to install. Both the fixed stock air diverters and these adjustable ones are held on with screws and nuts. All in all it didn't take an hour to do both sides.

JimboRTS
02-14-2021, 03:45 PM
Did they come with a template for mounting?
Jim

Jetfixer
02-14-2021, 04:22 PM
Did they come with a template for mounting?
Jim

Not needed. You remove the existing fixed air deflectors and these mount in the same holes. New hardware is included.

Jetfixer
02-14-2021, 04:41 PM
Here's the 3 positions...

187746 187747 187748

ButterSmooth
02-14-2021, 05:07 PM
Here's the 3 positions...

That's perfect! Thank you!

MONK
02-14-2021, 05:33 PM
Looks like I need to spend another couple hundred bucks soon. :)

MONK
02-14-2021, 05:37 PM
Found 'em on Amazon of all places. Just ordered both upper and lower adjustable vents.

ButterSmooth
02-14-2021, 06:05 PM
Found 'em on Amazon of all places. Just ordered both upper and lower adjustable vents.

Care to share the link?

MONK
02-14-2021, 07:49 PM
Sure.

Amazon says there's only (1) left of each.

UPPERS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P8WHNRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
LOWERS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P8TNP9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ButterSmooth
02-14-2021, 08:23 PM
Sure.

Amazon says there's only (1) left of each.

UPPERS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P8WHNRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
LOWERS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P8TNP9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got 'em. I'll bet the one left is a nudge tactic... Thank you again!

ThreeWheels
02-14-2021, 09:37 PM
Got 'em. I'll bet the one left is a nudge tactic... Thank you again!

I just checked Amazon, the listing says they are out of stock.
Can you share how much you paid for them ?
Ebay and BRP sell both sets for $99 each, or $198 for all four deflectors.

ButterSmooth
02-14-2021, 10:10 PM
I just checked Amazon, the listing says they are out of stock.
Can you share how much you paid for them ?
Ebay and BRP sell both sets for $99 each, or $198 for all four deflectors.

Same. Who would have thought "only x left" wasn't a ruse?

MONK
02-15-2021, 08:10 AM
They are/were being sold by a dealership in Toms River, NJ. I'm guessing they just ran out of stock.

I paid $199.98 plus tax for both sets, same as I would pay at the dealer. I don't expect that price to change up or down for at least 9 months to a year. Maybe not even then. They're new so nobody knows how popular they will be. If they're popular, the price will eventually go up. If dealers can't get rid of them, the price will go down. Eventually.

MONK
02-15-2021, 10:54 AM
UPDATE: Per Amazon, mine are shipping today via USPS. ETA is still the 26th. Not sure how it will take (10) days to go from NJ to NC but whatever. I'll install them the next weekend. As jetfixer mentioned, they simply bolt on in place of the OEM vents. You'll need to remove the (3) main pieces of tupperware on each side. For anybody concerned with the tupperware removal process, I have a video on that. Super simple. (I've removed those pieces enough now that I think I can do it in my sleep.)

MONK
02-18-2021, 08:49 PM
UPDATE: Received the vents today. I hope to install them Saturday but we'll see. I didn't get a chance to ride last weekend and Saturday is supposed to be sunny (FINALLY!) and in the low 40s. Not sure if I can hold off riding til Sunday to install these Saturday or not.

MONK
02-19-2021, 07:08 PM
LAST UPDATE: Installed mine today (uppers and lowers). Total of about :45 minutes only because I don't have a heated garage and I had to keep taking my gloves off.

A couple notes. No surprise, BuRP used that same sh***y yellow Loctite on the bolts. (If I could sell used yellow Loctite for a buck a pound and I could get all of it off just my bike, I'd be a millionaire.) When removing the stock vents, the 1st couple turns of the nut, I got this loud squeak. I thought I was breaking something. It was just the Loctite breaking loose, I guess.

You'll need a 10mm socket, a T30 and in my case, a T20. Unless you have a really short T30 socket (or something similar), you can't get anything in the bolt heads for the new lower vents. I ended up using a T20 to remove the screw (and washer) so I could GENTLY pull the vent itself out of the base housing. Work slowly. It will come apart. When you put it back together, the vent goes back in TOWARDS the end with the flat groove. (If you do it my way, you'll understand once you get it apart. Trust me.) Taking the stock vents off is easy. As jetfixer said, once you remove the large piece of tupperware that runs down the side of the bike (from the front of the drivers seat area to the fin in front), you just unbolt the old and bolt on the new. One more quick suggestion, once you've installed the new adjustable vents, hold that big piece of tupperware up to the bike to make sure the new vents are oriented the correct way. Both angle UP and BACK. The upper vent will fit just under the headlight assembly.

/rant on/ One more thought. The more I "work" on my RT (this one or the previous one), the more I think these were assembled by drunk 10 year olds. Things just don't fit "right". There are a LOT of holes that should be round but aren't just so you can adjust things so they fit. And, I struggle to start all (3) bolts on each side piece of tupperware every time. Truly disappointing for a $25k machine. /rant off/

Jetfixer
02-19-2021, 07:25 PM
I know we're not supposed to advertise products here, but this is a tool that should be in everyone's Spyder tool kit:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in-x-5-16-in-Ratcheting-Bit-Driver-Wrench-with-1-4-in-Socket-Bit-Adapter-H4DRBD/205543703

This would have allowed you to put the T30 bit in it and access those screws correctly. Owners of pre 2020 RT's will find that this tool is perfect for removing that screw at the rear of the rear side panel under the seat. Trust me. I use tools for a living. Get one.

MONK
02-19-2021, 07:38 PM
I know we're not supposed to advertise products here, but this is a tool that should be in everyone's Spyder tool kit:

This would have allowed you to put the T30 bit in it and access those screws correctly. Owners of pre 2020 RT's will find that this tool is perfect for removing that screw at the rear of the rear side panel under the seat. Trust me. I use tools for a living. Get one.

Super idea although I think this is much better. (I work for Lowe's. :) )

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-35-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Polished-Chrome-Mechanics-Tool-Set/3387640

2020RTLimitedDRM
05-25-2021, 05:02 PM
BRP has them on sale for $79.99. Just received mine Saturday. Haven’t put them on yet!

Adventurer
05-25-2021, 05:43 PM
BRP has them on sale for $79.99. Just received mine Saturday. Haven’t put them on yet!

Dang I wish you hadn’t posted that! :roflblack:

Adventurer
05-25-2021, 06:39 PM

Dang I wish you hadn’t posted that! :roflblack:

Ordered! LOL!

Copperman
05-25-2021, 09:54 PM
I just ordered them yesterday off the BRP website. They're 20% off with free shipping. The order said sales tax would be added. BRP must have reached out to any dealer that had them in stock. A dealer in MN picked up the order and shipped them. No sales tax was added. $159.98 to my door.

pidjones
05-26-2021, 06:42 AM
Well, I ordered mine with the bike. Only 10% discount. But, I really like them. Not as dramatic as Bakerbuilt on the GL1800, but so far all I need.

U0DATE: Had a chance to test them in 88 degree weather for their ability to scoop air onto me. Upper helps, but not nearly as much as Bakers on the GL1800. Lowers don't help at all. This was in ~35-50 mph fairly heavy (for Knoxville area) traffic.

Doc McCoy
05-26-2021, 11:57 AM
so what do the vents do. Hard to tell from pics.

MikeyTX
05-29-2021, 03:05 AM
Redirect the airflow. With both upper and lower in the closed position, light rain is diverted outward and away from one's lower extremities. So far, one of the best add ons I've purchased.

Mikey
05-29-2021, 06:13 AM
They will make a difference!!:2thumbs:

Joel The Biker
05-29-2021, 08:02 AM
I have them on my 2021 S2S. They are VERY affective. Worth the money in my opinion.

MikeyTX
05-29-2021, 09:26 AM
They make riding nak'd much more enjoyable. :ohyea:

MONK
05-29-2021, 11:33 AM
They make riding nak'd much more enjoyable. :ohyea:

I agree but it's spelled "nekkid". I tend to slide off the seat.

Tango
05-29-2021, 02:35 PM
Just ordered mine. Added in a t-shirt for the wife. Helped smoooooth the purchase. :roflblack: Tom :spyder:

MikeyTX
05-29-2021, 06:59 PM
I agree but it's spelled "nekkid". I tend to slide off the seat.

I blame it on google's advanced spell checker.:2excited:

Pooch
06-09-2021, 07:30 AM
2021 RT Ltd. Build date Feb, 2021...

Received the BRP OEM adjustable wind deflectors that were on sale in the BRP catalogue.
Honestly... I don’t think I received the right items. BRP said they had to find a dealer who had them to send to me. Okay... arrived in two boxes taped together. No part numbers on the boxes or labels of any kind on the boxes. Opened the boxes.the items were in plastic sleeves surrounded by thin foam packing...all each box contained were the plastic deflectors.. 2 smaller ones in one box and 2 larger ones in other box...no hardware....no instructions...just a printed sheet that showed warning statement in several languages and also gave a website www.instructions.brp.com.

Went to the website... i thought the instructions were vague and didn’t show very good pics of the parts.

Part numbers stamped on the items are:
For the big ones:
BRP Canada RH. >PC< 70501. Y then some kind of dial M then some kind of dial. 5124
BRP Canada LH. >PC< 70501. Y then some kind of dial. M then some kind of dial. 5123

For the smaller ones:
BRP >PC<
MADE IN CANADA
70501 5121. M then some kind of dial
LH Y then some kind of dial

BRP. >PC<
MADE IN CANADA
7051. 5122. M. Then some kind of dial
RH. Y then some kind of dial

I expected the deflectors to pivot right out of the box...they don’t move at all... look to me like the originals that are on the bike. I had planned to let the dealer install them on my first oil change coming up but now am concerned they are not the right items and I won’t be able to return them for refund if I wait too long.

For those of you who have made this purchase does it sound like I have received the correct parts?
Thank you for your responses.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words but have not tried to upload a pic on this site...usually can’t on these websites but will try here shortly.

bluewoo
06-09-2021, 07:54 AM
I like em! Tested them on a 90 day - and I do not ride full gear anymore and I was wearing shorts- the air flow(lower ones) was wonderful and directed up my shorts!
Lubricated the joints before installing now with just a finger I can adjust them easily.

Pooch - you got the right ones!
My boxer were also taped together and marked lower and upper, the deflectors them selves are marked inside LH and RH.
Use the same fasteners from the old deflectors, just clean off the yellow thread lock BRP uses before install.

Pooch
06-09-2021, 07:57 AM
So.. i have tried every which way to get the pic to upload from my Ipad.... can’t.
So frustrating...it shows the pic I have chosen then I hit UPLOAD... nothing. It also won’t let me drag it in and won’t let me just copy and paste the photo. :gaah::gaah:

MikeyTX
06-09-2021, 08:07 AM
Don't feel bad. I can't upload either. As long as the ones you received have the pivot base vs the OEM fixed mount, you have the correct ones. I had my servicing dealer install mine. As mentioned, they make a world of difference in riding comfort. They should be standard from the factory.

Mike

Pooch
06-09-2021, 08:07 AM
I know they are supposed to use the OEM hardware (guess that means screws, washers, or nuts that are already holding on the original deflectors) but.. are you supposed to be able to twist them right out of the box?

What type lubricant should be used? Thanks.

MikeyTX
06-09-2021, 08:15 AM
Don't lubricate the pivot points. They will rotate correctly once mounted.

bluewoo
06-09-2021, 08:32 AM
I know they are supposed to use the OEM hardware (guess that means screws, washers, or nuts that are already holding on the original deflectors) but.. are you supposed to be able to twist them right out of the box?

What type lubricant should be used? Thanks.

I used a multipurpose chain lube - very thin and I just let the excess drip off before I installed them. From what I could see the assembler does not put any lubricate on the joint, I made my own decision to lubricate so do what you want to do because once installed its about impossible to do it after install.

Copperman
06-09-2021, 08:45 AM
I received mine and installed them. It was a fairly simple, straight forward install. I went for a short ride (seven miles) around a loop near my house. Set my cruise at 40 mph and was dressed in a t shirt and shorts (with helmet) so I could feel the difference. I had them both opened and then closed. Left side open, right side closed. There's a very noticeable difference and all I can say is they're very good at what they do. Money well spent.

This is my fourth Spyder and on my previous three Spyders I've had the Baker Air Wings installed (which I thought was the best functional mod you could do). I wasn't crazy about Baker's design for the 2020 RT so I took a leap of faith and bought the BRP adjustable wind deflectors. So far, I'm pretty happy with them.

Having bought them on the BRP website (20% off) with free shipping and no sales tax, it's not a bad deal.