PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki is coming out with a three wheeler--yes, two in front and tilting.

ARtraveler
02-08-2021, 04:12 PM
Kawasaki is coming out with a three wheeler--yes, two in front and tilting.

The article is found in Cycle World Magazine most recent issue.

Link Below:

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/kawasaki-three-wheel-superbike/

Unfortunately, not currently at your local Kawi dealer. :roflblack: Talks mostly about new patents and prototypes. But....one really nice picture....in Kawi Green of course. I did not see any info about engine size or type???? Please feel to add whatever you find or want to discuss.

To late for me. I am getting near the end of motorcycling with the addition of Spyder #7.

troop
02-08-2021, 04:33 PM
Certainly more of a Niken type design. Hoping for something more along the lines of a Neowing. Cool ...

BajaRon
02-08-2021, 04:37 PM
Kawasaki is coming out with a three wheeler--yes, two in front and tilting.

The article is found in Cycle World Magazine.

Link Below:

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/kawasaki-three-wheel-superbike/

Which one are you asking about? These are all concept bikes having been floated by Kawasaki since 2013. I've not seen much on any of them since 2019. Do you have current information?

I would not consider the center offering a 'Trike'. But simply a motorcycle with 2 front wheels.

ARtraveler
02-08-2021, 04:43 PM
Which one are you asking about? These are all concept bikes having been floated by Kawasaki since 2018. I've not seen much on any of them since 2019. Do you have current information?

I would not consider the center offering a 'Trike'. But simply a motorcycle with 2 front wheels.

The link in my post will take you to the one I am talking about.

MONK
02-08-2021, 04:47 PM
I don't want to say that's fugly...........

Looks like a Tron bike.

Possible
02-08-2021, 05:29 PM
Personally I can't see a tilting three-wheeler as anything other than a niche market. It would seem to me that a Piaggio MP3 did everything a tilting three-wheeler
does, and it never sold worth a hoot. People that want to lean, buy a motorcycle, people that want a trike, buy one, people that want a leaning trike would be ones
who most likely can't ride a bike anymore, but still want to feel the lean. JMO anyway.

Cobwebs
02-08-2021, 06:00 PM
Time to bring out all the radical stuff, this one certainly is a ''Green new deal'' contender.

ARtraveler
02-09-2021, 10:48 AM
An update after a little research.

Cycle World was mentioned as now going quarterly. Not a good sign in the publishing world. They may be reaching for straws in what articles to print. Even though the information is "current" take it with a grain of salt IMO. :bowdown:

I wont be putting a deposit down like I did sight unseen and 8 months before I got it, on the 2008 GS SM5.

Another sign of the times: My favorite cycle magazine, RIDER, has changed editors, and a lot of the "usual" writers. The current issue is down to 58 pages from the usual 78 or so. My subscription goes to 6/1/24...will it make it the distance????? :dontknow:

Greven
02-09-2021, 01:06 PM
Interesting and innovative concept! :)
However I have very low hopes they actually launch anything like this on the market.

MONK
02-09-2021, 04:10 PM
However I have very low hopes they actually launch anything like this on the market.

Good.

troop
02-09-2021, 04:22 PM

Cycle World was mentioned as now going quarterly. Not a good sign in the publishing world. They may be reaching for straws in what articles to print. Even though the information is "current" take it with a grain of salt IMO. :bowdown:

I wont be putting a deposit down like I did sight unseen and 8 months before I got it, on the 2008 GS SM5.

Another sign of the times: My favorite cycle magazine, RIDER, has changed editors, and a lot of the "usual" writers. The current issue is down to 58 pages from the usual 78 or so. My subscription goes to 6/1/24...will it make it the distance????? :dontknow:

I'm wondering the same. My subscription is to Mar 2022. I still like paper, but I'll only renew 12 months at a time from now on..

ARtraveler
02-10-2021, 04:23 PM
Another update about Rider magazine.

Just got the February issue it is down to 50 pages...BUT...there is a fantastic article with lots of great pictures about Death Valley. Worth a read.

Additional: there are no letters to the editors, and the retro bike section on the two last pages is now gone.

I miss both of those. :bowdown:

AVBIZ
02-10-2021, 05:12 PM

Yep I saw that- my Road Runner mag changed editors as well. I think the pandemic beat them down. I used to get 5 magazines to keep me sane on the road now I’m down to 2...

ARtraveler
02-10-2021, 07:19 PM
Yep I saw that- my Road Runner mag changed editors as well. I think the pandemic beat them down. I used to get 5 magazines to keep me sane on the road now I’m down to 2...

Me too on 5 magazines, so I could keep aware of all the action going on. I am now down to one only. :yes:

Madison Sully
02-10-2021, 08:39 PM
Good.

Why "Good"?

ARtraveler
02-11-2021, 12:17 PM
Probably along the lines of one fewer bike to have to look at and consider buying.

Five to ten years back, I would have been on the bandwagon to try the newest or latest Spyder clone from any of the rice burner companies. Any of those offerings are usually pretty good.

A couple months ago, I really liked the article about the new BMW 1800 cruiser. That is one nice piece of machinery. Ten years late for me. I still have my 2015 Vulcan 900 which I really like, but alas, it is getting to heavy for me to keep up, and I have a weak left leg now. I would have been all over the Beemer, but now, cannot justify it.

At 75, we just bought two new Spyders (one year back versions) 2019/2020. Based on that, we spent a lot of dough, should be good for the next five years or so. So.............sorry Kawi, no more new stuff for us. :roflblack:

Pooch
04-01-2021, 10:11 AM
I had a Kawasaki Voyager 1200 that I adored, then a Vulcan Nomad 1700, then a Vulcan 900... I liked the Kaws. Also had several Honda 2-wheelers in the past.

If Honda ever came out with a factory-built Gold Wing I would be all over that... but they won't so...

Actually, the main reason I finally gave up my Gold Wing trike for the Spyder is that there is no mechanic to take it to anywhere near me if/when something went wrong with the trike kit itself. I would have to trailer it 300 miles to Troup, Texas to get it worked on... then add up gasoline, motel, food, dog x 4 kennel expense.... I let go of a beautiful, reliable, first class, excellent condition, 2008 Honda Gold Wing, 40,000 miles. I kissed her on the nose and thanked her for taking care of me and wished her a good long life.

I did not want a Harley of any kind so the Spyder is a dealer-supported 3-wheeler - right out of the box.... and kind-of snazzy looking to boot! :thumbup:

Snoking1127
04-01-2021, 10:20 AM
Other three wheel news:

https://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/meet-the-trio/ is being purchased https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210125005282/en/Arcimoto-to-Acquire-Tilting-Motor-Works#:~:text=Under%20the%20terms%20of%20the,the%2 0first%20quarter%20of%202021.

RICZ
04-01-2021, 10:47 AM
That grille is not flattering those bikes, but quite the opposite. The bars need to be much thicker/wider and fewer. That would accentuate width, which is what all vehicle designers strive for.

Snoking1127
04-01-2021, 10:59 AM
That grille is not flattering those bikes, but quite the opposite. The bars need to be much thicker/wider and fewer. That would accentuate width, which is what all vehicle designers strive for.

Yeah, I do NOT like the shape of the "hood" either.

RayBJ
04-01-2021, 11:31 AM
Don't knock it until you try it!

I had an MP3-500 tilting scooter and loved it! It rode EXACTLY LIKE any 2-wheeled bike. The extra traction up front allowed very fast cornering and braking compared to 2-wheelers. In the wet or loose surfaces, it stuck better than 2 wheels. I ride hard and did 7 days in the Smokies and several other long runs cruising at 90 mph (top speed :barf:) without incident.

The MP3 line has a hydraulic lock to freeze whatever angle you set it at when you stop (think parking on the side of a hill) so there's no side stand and you can stop at a light without putting a foot down.

Admittedly, most of the tilters are butt-ugly but the MP3 made up for it in it's added front footprint and never tipping over in soft sand when parked. It's also a great conversation starter at gas stops.

Snoking1127
04-01-2021, 11:42 AM
Don't knock it until you try it!

I had an MP3-500 tilting scooter and loved it! It rode EXACTLY LIKE any 2-wheeled bike. The extra traction up front allowed very fast cornering and braking compared to 2-wheelers. In the wet or loose surfaces, it stuck better than 2 wheels. I ride hard and did 7 days in the Smokies and several other long runs cruising at 90 mph (top speed :barf:) without incident.

The MP3 line has a hydraulic lock to freeze whatever angle you set it at when you stop (think parking on the side of a hill) so there's no side stand and you can stop at a light without putting a foot down.

Admittedly, most of the tilters are butt-ugly but the MP3 made up for it in it's added front footprint and never tipping over in soft sand when parked. It's also a great conversation starter at gas stops.

The Tilting Motor Works system locks in an upright position below 7 MPH, and releases again at over 7 MPH

RayBJ
04-01-2021, 02:22 PM
The MP3 had a button to lock the front when <5mph so when rolling up to a stop light you press the button and never step in a puddle. As soon as you roll the throttle, the lock auto-releases.

AVBIZ
04-01-2021, 03:23 PM
The MP3 had a button to lock the front when <5mph so when rolling up to a stop light you press the button and never step in a puddle. As soon as you roll the throttle, the lock auto-releases.

Yup - My new MP3 arrives tomorrow. Should be a great “tilting” stablemate to my 08 Spyder

RayBJ
04-01-2021, 03:45 PM
:agree: It's a fun ride in all but the long distance high speed tours. The single jug is a bit buzzy at 90 mph. Be prepared to explain how it works to the curious folks you come across.

Pirate
04-01-2021, 05:16 PM
Good.

I'd actually like to see some competition with Can Am.