PDA

View Full Version : Which Rear drive tyre for a Spyder RT?

BRENTON
02-08-2021, 02:32 AM
Having trouble finding a suitable rear tyre for you Spider RT 2016 original tyre 12000 Kim’s and buggered I see people putting on Car tyres which I don’t have a problem with but finding the right make and size 225/50R15 in Western Australia is a battle any and ideas or recommendations

Peter Aawen
02-08-2021, 06:34 AM
Don't stress too much about the 'nominal' size printed on the tyre's sidewall, their ACTUAL size can vary from that a LOT!! Some tyre manufacturers use the carcass size before the tread layers are applied; some include the carcass size plus the base layer of the tread but not the tread depth; while others use the completed tyre size, tread depth and all - and yet there are others who just seem to think of a number, multiply it by the next number they think of, divide that by 5/8ths of 2/5ths of who the **** knows what, then pluck a figure from the air & go with that!! I've seen some tyres that were 50mm larger in dia than their nominal size - admittedly, those were 4WD tyres, but still, given something that's supposedly 33" in dia, cos that was what was printed on the sidewall, only to find their ACTUAL dia was just over 35" in dia sorta shows up how different they can be! :rolleyes:

So, just go out and find yourself a good name brand car tyre of your choice that fits onto the rim (only don't go too much bigger'n 225/65R15 - they'll probably scrub the inside of the wheel arch if you load up/lose air in the air-bag if you've got one! ;) ) There are quite a few tyres around that'll work - Bridgestone, Kumho, Hankook, Toyo, Yokohama, BFG, Cooper, Dunlop, and more besides.... I've run a few different brands of tyres that are readily available in Oz in a variety of different sizes - 225/65R15's, 215/60 & 65R15's, even some of both those 225 & 215 sizes in 50 & 55 profile, and atm I'm running a 205/65R15 Michelin, and ALL of them were heaps better than the OE Spec Kendas in all respects! :thumbup:

Steve W.
02-08-2021, 01:51 PM
As Peter says, there are many combinations of sizes that will work. Note that the stock size tends to be a little bit small, which allows the tyre to turn faster, showing slightly higher numbers on the speedo. A slightly larger tyre will slow it down and get the number accurate. On the other hand, it also slows down the odometer, racking up fewer miles or kilometers. I installed a 205/65-15 on my wife's RT, the speedo display is right on with the GPS numbers. :thumbup:

Now, to directly answer your question "Which tyre ...?" The best answer would be "just about anything but stock".