PDA

View Full Version : F3L Elka Rear Shock impressions?

bikerchris1270
02-02-2021, 09:27 AM
2019 F3L. Considering a rear shock install. Tour with trailer 2 up......experienced bottoming out .
Question to those who have purchased and installed a Elka Rear Shock:
With your experience of having performed this task.....do you think it was worth the $$$$ to install?
Any ride improvement?
Thanks for your comment.

Michaelscs
02-02-2021, 10:28 AM
Are you sure your not having issues with your automatic air bag preload suspension? I had a F3-T with the manual air bag preload and rode 2-up w/trailer and we had zero issues with bottoming out.(I'm a big guy) Also, the trailer shouldn't effect the issue because the hitch is on the swingarm adding no load to the shock or air bag.

bikerchris1270
02-02-2021, 11:35 AM
Are you sure your not having issues with your automatic air bag preload suspension? I had a F3-T with the manual air bag preload and rode 2-up w/trailer and we had zero issues with bottoming out.(I'm a big guy) Also, the trailer shouldn't effect the issue because the hitch is on the swingarm adding no load to the shock or air bag.
Air bag is ok.... just wondering if I’d gain anything with the Elka Shock/ spring installed.

Peteoz
02-02-2021, 03:26 PM
Air bag is ok.... just wondering if I’d gain anything with the Elka Shock/ spring installed.

Chris, the answer to your question of whether you would reduce bottoming out if you moved to Elka is “yes”. I rode my 16F3-L stock, with 70psi in the bag, and continually experienced bottoming out (I’m 300 lbs). I replaced it with a Wilbers rear shock, tailored to my weight and riding style, and have not experienced bottoming out at all, even with the bag set to 10psi.

Pete

bikerchris1270
02-02-2021, 04:31 PM
Chris, the answer to your question of whether you would reduce bottoming out if you moved to Elka is “yes”. I rode my 16F3-L stock, with 70psi in the bag, and continually experienced bottoming out (I’m 300 lbs). I replaced it with a Wilbers rear shock, tailored to my weight and riding style, and have not experienced bottoming out at all, even with the bag set to 10psi.

Pete

Ok, thanks for your input.