PDA

View Full Version : Having a problem getting registered in California.

Supercrawler
02-01-2021, 02:08 PM
Purchased 2021 spyder rtl from IMotorsports on 12/20.
California DMV will not & cannot registred due to the Emission level. Precisely said,"Certifed For Sale In All States EXCEPT CALIFORNIA"
(Imotorspors should realized about this since thier sold many of spyder to california, right?)

Anyone have with a similar situation or solutions?

WilcoJunoHotel
02-01-2021, 02:11 PM
Weird that they would be selling something that could not be legally registered.

Did you sign any sort of disclosure where they advised you of this?

Seems to me like the dealer should make it so that it passes emissions or they take the bike back and and return your money.

Supercrawler
02-01-2021, 02:32 PM
Weird that they would be selling something that could not be legally registered.

Did you sign any sort of disclosure where they advised you of this?

Seems to me like the dealer should make it so that it passes emissions or they take the bike back and and return your money.

Signed docummant was sales contract thats only signed i cant think of.

Supercrawler
02-01-2021, 02:36 PM
187509 Emission Label.

WilcoJunoHotel
02-01-2021, 02:46 PM
187509 Emission Label.

Can't read your sticker but my 2020 says "This vehicle conforms to US EPA and California regulations applicable to 2020 model year new motorcycles and is certified to an HC+NOx emission standard of 0.8 gram/kilometer."

If yours says the same thing it sounds like the Motor Vehicle Department has bad information or the clerk looked it up wrong.:dontknow:

Here in GA, motorcycles (and I guess ours qualify as motorcycles) are exempt from emissions testing and we can also drive them in the HOV lanes.

WilcoJunoHotel
02-01-2021, 02:51 PM
Check this out:

https://www.bts.gov/content/federal-exhaust-emissions-standards-newly-manufactured-motorcyclesa-gkmb

IGETAROUND
02-01-2021, 02:54 PM
Spyders are CARB board certified, have been since 2008 when they were first sold. I believe that you can find attestation to this on BRP's web pages; I know that I have seen it there somewhere. Hope this helps.

Al in Kazoo

From CanAm website:
DO CAN-AM ON-ROAD MODELS MEET EPA / CARB / EU / ETC. REGULATIONS?
Yes. Can-Am On-Road models meet or exceed all environmental regulations, including the stricter CARB standards.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en/owner-zone/frequently-asked-questions.html

BajaRon
02-01-2021, 03:32 PM
187509 Emission Label.

Too bad we can't read the label. I lived in San Diego for 53 years. I found the DMV to be catastrophically wrong more than once. Without being able to see your EPA cert. It's hard to say in this case.

Peter Aawen
02-01-2021, 03:52 PM
Can you talk to anyone else at the DMV?? After all, I really doubt that YOUR Spyder is the ONLY Spyder registered in California, and I doubt very much that all of the others had this same problem or I reckon it would've been raised somewhere on the Forum already! :lecturef_smilie: (And it hasn't been! ;) )

So it seems pretty likely that it's just ONE 'less than truly skilled/knowledgeable' DMV Employee being a bit of a pedantic prick and exercising their (probably quite limited) degree of power to stuff up your day/mess with you in regards to getting your Spyder registered.... :dontknow: But maybe going around or over them & pointing out that there are already a number of Spyders registered in California might help?! Or maybe not?? Worth a shot tho, isn't it?? :rolleyes:

Supercrawler
02-01-2021, 04:13 PM
Sorry,, for the crappy Pic.
Here.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-01-2021, 04:22 PM
Purchased 2021 spyder rtl from IMotorsports on12/20.
California DMV will not, can not registred Due to the Emission level Precisely said.
"Certifed For Sale In All States EXCEPT CALIFORNIA"
(Imotorspors should realized about this since thier sold many of spyder to california should't they)
Anyone had same situation and how to solved.

I have questioned this Edict from Calif. a number of times on this Forum ..... others have reported the same issue here ..... After some investigation I learned Calif. WON'T register NEW vehicles BOUGHT from States other than Calif. :gaah::gaah::gaah: ... They will register USED Mtc's with more than 7000 miles ...... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

gkamer
02-01-2021, 04:45 PM
California DMV will not & cannot registred due to the Emission level. Precisely said,"Certifed For Sale In All States EXCEPT CALIFORNIA"
(Imotorspors should realized about this since thier sold many of spyder to california, right?)

This might be useful:

https://www.californiacartags.com/register-cars-from-out-of-sta#:~:text=You%20will%20need%20to%20turn,no%20Cal ifornia%20certificate%20of%20title.

Supercrawler
02-01-2021, 04:45 PM
Can't upload the pic??

Supercrawler
02-01-2021, 04:53 PM
Thanks All.

ARtraveler
02-01-2021, 07:23 PM
All the information that I have seen has stated that the Spyders DO CONFORM to California Emission Specs.

You must have contacted the idiot of the pack at CA DMV.

Don't blame iMoto for this one....they know what they are doing IMO.

The Manufacturers Certificate of Origin states "THIS VEHICLE IS INTENDED FOR REGISTRATION IN THE U.S.A. ONLY." It does not say "Except California."

Further research should be done and I am thinking you will be fine.

Supercrawler
02-01-2021, 07:38 PM
All the information that I have seen has stated that the Spyders DO CONFORM to California Emission Specs.

You must have contacted the idiot of the pack at CA DMV.

Don't blame iMoto for this one....they know what they are doing IMO.
"
The Manufacturers Certificate of Origin states "THIS VEHICLE IS INTENDED FOR REGISTRATION IN THE U.S.A. ONLY." It does not say "Except California."

Further research should be done and I am thinking you will be fine.

Than what do this mean by"CERTIFIED FOR SALE IN ALL U.S STATES EXCEPT CALIFORNIA" said in emission label this is what i'm having problem with DMV.

Supercrawler
02-01-2021, 07:44 PM
Can't read your sticker but my 2020 says "This vehicle conforms to US EPA and California regulations applicable to 2020 model year new motorcycles and is certified to an HC+NOx emission standard of 0.8 gram/kilometer."

If yours says the same thing it sounds like the Motor Vehicle Department has bad information or the clerk looked it up wrong.:dontknow:

Here in GA, motorcycles (and I guess ours qualify as motorcycles) are exempt from emissions testing and we can also drive them in the HOV lanes.

My Spyder Emission Label says "THIS VEHICLE CONFORMS TO U.S EPA REGULATIONS" only. No words of California regulations.(wish can upload pics).
Here in cali too motorcycle are exampt from emissions testing

ARtraveler
02-01-2021, 08:22 PM
Than what do this mean by"CERTIFIED FOR SALE IN ALL U.S STATES EXCEPT CALIFORNIA" said in emission label this is what i'm having problem with DMV.

That is Not what I posted. :bowdown:

And......your post in #17 you say something entirely different????????

I hope that you can get this (what looks like) a CA DMV error figured out and fixed.

Steve W.
02-01-2021, 08:52 PM
After some investigation I learned Calif. WON'T register NEW vehicles BOUGHT from States other than Calif. They will register USED Mtc's with more than 7000 miles ... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

I looked through one of the links that was posted after this. It said that California residents could not bring in a vehicle with less than 7500 miles if it is a "49-state" model. I would think that, since the Spyder does not have a "California model", and the emissions label says something about being "CARB-compliant" (that's California Air Resources Board, for those that don't know), there should be no problem registering it. :dontknow:

I am increasingly happy that I moved away from there almost 40 years ago. :thumbup:

Motorcycledave
02-01-2021, 09:14 PM

This is a common problen here in California....
Folks will go out of state to get a great deal only to find that it's not so great.
ALL VEHICLES that come into the state must pass the California SMOG emissions test.
the tag should say 50 state legal, California approved, if it is not you can not register it here at all.
We have had several guys move into the state over the years and say hell I am not paying that for a bike
I will go to Utah, Arizona or where ever and buy a bike bring it here and get the bad news at DMV.
They can't sell it here because it is not legal so back to where they got it and take a bath on it.
The cost to make an out of state bike, car, truck legal here is way more than they saved, it can run into the thousands.
you can however buy a new one out of state and put a bunch of miles on it and then bring it in as a used one.
I don't remember what the mileage is (Call DMV ) to find out.
AS a side note....The Ryker models were NOT legal here until a few months ago because they
did not pass smog. BRP had to work them over to be able to have their dealers sell them....

Motorcycledave
02-01-2021, 09:25 PM
Check this out:

https://www.bts.gov/content/federal-exhaust-emissions-standards-newly-manufactured-motorcyclesa-gkmb

Did you notice California is NOT mentioned anywhere in that... it's because California has their own rules that are much much more restrictive than the feds.

pegasus1300
02-01-2021, 09:55 PM
Did you call Imotorsports and take it up with them? What did they say?

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-01-2021, 10:40 PM
Can't upload the pic??
Try taking a close up pic of only the pertinent part of the label. Use a photo program to reduce the jpeg quality level. That'll help.

2dogs
02-01-2021, 10:57 PM
Shoot Squared Away a PM and see what they have to say.

Supercrawler
02-02-2021, 12:34 AM
IMotorsport closed on Monday.
Call tomorrow see what they have to say.

MRH
02-02-2021, 01:37 AM
When I called iMotorsports about a possible sale, I mentioned that I need a "50 state model" and they said now virtually all of them are. THEY SHOULD ABSOLUTELY KNOW TO SEND YOU A CA MODEL, as it was delivered there, and they no doubt collected CA sales tax. They did seem to be aware of the issues, and certainly should be. It was almost certainly an honest mistake, and I think they will see that.

I purchased a Spyder in Vegas (it was a 50 state model) and they told me a story about once selling a 49 state model to a A resident and having to replace it.

They got a lot of business here, and, ONLY if necessary, I'm sure they would like to know that you put up this thread and will be letting us know if they did the right thing, or not.

I suspect they can and will find a way to address it for you without the need for any form of coercion. Please keep us up to date.

Schreckftw
02-02-2021, 10:23 AM
Meanwhile, me not being in one of the only 7 counties in Ohio to actually require an e-check, ripping off the catalytic converter on my Spyder. ;)

BajaRon
02-02-2021, 10:51 AM
I purchased a Honda Valkyrie from Pennsylvania years back. It was 'Used' but had only a few miles on it. When I took it in to get registered, they gave me the same story. It needed to have at least 7,500 miles on it. I took it home, pulled the speedo cable, attached it to a variable speed drill motor and ran it at 140 mph for about a day and a half. Not going to help you much though.

The key here is whether or not the Spyder is a 50 state machine. Or, if there is a 49 state model and a California model. You have to determine this to go forward. I would think the people who sold this Spyder to you would know. And, certainly a Can-Am Dealership would know. And BRP would know. Don't trust the robots at the DMV to give you the right answer. Because they don't know, and they don't care. It's 100% on you to come up with the right answer.

Lew L
02-02-2021, 10:57 AM
Just a bit off topic-------
But isn't the Valk a wonderful bike?? I regret selling my Tourer. Only modded it a bit cause it really doesn't need much. Surprising agile for a big girl and love the torque.
Lew L

wyliec
02-02-2021, 11:05 AM
I purchased a Honda Valkyrie from Pennsylvania years back. It was 'Used' but had only a few miles on it. When I took it in to get registered, they gave me the same story. It needed to have at least 7,500 miles on it. I took it home, pulled the speedo cable, attached it to a variable speed drill motor and ran it at 140 mph for about a day and a half. Not going to help you much though.

The key here is whether or not the Spyder is a 50 state machine. Or, if there is a 49 state model and a California model. You have to determine this to go forward. I would think the people who sold this Spyder to you would know. And, certainly a Can-Am Dealership would know. And BRP would know. Don't trust the robots at the DMV to give you the right answer. Because they don't know, and they don't care. It's 100% on you to come up with the right answer.

Baja,

I didn't think you would ever do anything ill eagle.;)

Supercrawler
02-02-2021, 11:08 AM
I will call IMotorsports today.
I did not mentioned that i want 50 states model but they know i purchased from cali.

pegasus1300
02-02-2021, 11:17 AM
yeah that definitely says not a California model.

Supercrawler
02-02-2021, 11:43 AM
Got an e-mail this morning.
Drew Warner From I Motorsports

"I will talk to the boss about how we fix this.
I will be in touch.
Sorry about the issue."

WilcoJunoHotel
02-02-2021, 12:44 PM
I did not mentioned that i want 50 states model but they know i purchased from cali.

Odd that my 2020 RT includes California on the sticker but your 2021 does not. Same 0.8 HC+NOx value.

canamjhb
02-02-2021, 01:04 PM
I just don't believe BRP would make Spyders with 2 different emission standards for sale in the U.S. I'll bet the dealer will just send a new sticker to put on the bike..... Jim

WilcoJunoHotel
02-02-2021, 01:28 PM
Some things never change ..... Back in the early 70s, I had a high school job in an auto parts store/speed shop. One of the questions we sometimes had to ask when someone was buying a particular part was if the vehicle was a "California car" because of the emissions controls that were only put on cars sold in California. In some cases, the parts were very expensive or special order and if bypassed, we had to tell the guy that he might get in trouble if he fiddled with it and was found out. From a hot rodding perspective, we stayed away from engines and cars sold in California.

BajaRon
02-02-2021, 01:44 PM
Baja,

I didn't think you would ever do anything ill eagle.;)

When I asked the person at the DMV who informed me that there was 'No way you will be able to register this vehicle in California' for any suggestions. She said that I could give my Valkyrie to a friend in another state, (she suggest Arizona). Let them ride it until it went over 7,500 miles, then bring it back and try again. Awesome, I thought. Just what I had planed for my brand new (to me) Valkyrie.

I know turning an odometer back is illegal. I'm not sure there is an ordinance prohibiting the other direction.

I hope you can get this worked out. Real shame.

Supercrawler
02-02-2021, 02:12 PM
Got a phone call from jason at IMotorsports.
Said they never had any issued registred in California my spyder is only one having a problem.
And he and BRP will do best to solved this issed.(i mentioned the emission label)
I will see how they solved this problem.

BajaRon
02-02-2021, 03:05 PM
Got a phone call from jason at IMotorsports.
Said they never had any issued registred in California my spyder is only one having a problem.
And he and BRP will do best to solved this issed.(i mentioned the emission label)
I will see how they solved this problem.

If the emissions label excludes CA, then it's definitely a closed case. Not sure how that would ever fly regardless of how many you tried to get registered. It will be interesting to see how they resolve this one. My guess would be to swap that one out for a 50 state version.

Supercrawler
02-02-2021, 05:07 PM
I will definitely inform you all what's the outcome.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-02-2021, 05:10 PM
Is it possible that is an early production model manufactured before BRP had obtained the CARB certification? Maybe BRP was having trouble getting CARD cert on a timely basis because of Covid-19 hangups. Even if the engine, fuel, and emissions systems were identical to certified 2020 models CARB probably still requires a new cert for the new model year.

MRH
02-02-2021, 08:34 PM

I can't imagine that it would be your responsibility to ask for a Spyder that can be registered legally in the state in which is being delivered to, where they know you reside, AND WHERE THEY CHARGED YOU SALES TAX FOR (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

They blew it, plain and simple. An honest mistake, no doubt, but still their RESPONSIBILITY to make right.

BertRemington
02-02-2021, 09:07 PM
Supercrawler -- you're wasting your time calling IMotorsport. They've got your money, they're 1,500 miles away, and they know you're never coming back. Game over for them.

What you need to do is get your VIN and contact Can-Am about California emissions compliance. I agree with IGETAROUND and others that Can-Am doesn't make 49-state-only models. But I could be wrong -- it happens sometimes.

Your emissions label looks damaged. Did you buy a new vehicle? What was the mileage? Was it a demonstrator? Was it bought at auction?

If you bought a used Spyder and Can-Am does make 49-state-only models then you gotta wait 10 years before you can move your Spyder out of your garage (or you can drive it 7,500 miles unregistered and uninsured).

Lastly, while you are investigating emissions labels, remove the LH bodywork under the seat and see if there is a small rectangular box with two Philips screws on its cover and a rubber hose pointing downwards. If you have that then you're on the way to CA emissions compliance. If you don't then you've just made a $5K mistake. How do I know? BTDT.:D

MRH
02-02-2021, 09:17 PM
Supercrawler -- you're wasting your time calling IMotorsport. They've got your money, they're 1,500 miles away, and they know you're never coming back. Game over for them.

I have to disagree. iMotorsports does a LOT of business off of this site, and most people who have dealt with them seem to have very good stories. I can't say for certain how they will handle this, but it is the easiest and best path to pursue first. If that fails, or they drag their feet, then they deserve to have this become a very public issue.

On the other hand, if they step up, they also deserve the good conversation this has the potential to generate for them on our site. Let's give them to the end of the week to solve the error. As a business owner, I've had to deal with clients who complain to the internet before even trying to solve a problem with us, and it isn't fair or right. We all make mistakes, and they deserve the chance to fix it.

Now, if they were the ones who put you in this position (BTDT - been there done that, as you said), then I can easily understand your post.

Supercrawler
02-02-2021, 09:38 PM

What you need to do is get your VIN and contact Can-Am about California emissions compliance. I agree with IGETAROUND and others that Can-Am doesn't make 49-state-only models. But I could be wrong -- it happens sometimes.

Your emissions label looks damaged. Did you buy a new vehicle? What was the mileage? Was it a demonstrator? Was it bought at auction?

If you bought a used Spyder and Can-Am does make 49-state-only models then you gotta wait 10 years before you can move your Spyder out of your garage (or you can drive it 7,500 miles unregistered and uninsured).

Lastly, while you are investigating emissions labels, remove the LH bodywork under the seat and see if there is a small rectangular box with two Philips screws on its cover and a rubber hose pointing downwards. If you have that then you're on the way to CA emissions compliance. If you don't then you've just made a $5K mistake. How do I know? BTDT.:D

Thanks for you advised(?)
I bought it new, it has only 10 miles.
Appear to be the emission label has never been tempered.
I will look into under the seat rectangular box that you mention about.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-02-2021, 09:46 PM
Thanks for you advised(?)
I bought it new, it has only 10 miles.
Appear to be the emission label has never been tempered.
I will look into under the seat rectangular box that you mention about.

Just a thought here ...... why don't you go to a Can-Am dealership and take a pic of the sticker / s on a Spyder they have for sale ..... then compare it to what you have on yours ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

Supercrawler
02-02-2021, 10:01 PM
That's good idea,
I will do that tomorrow.
As for the motorsport will give some times since they called me that they`'ll
Work with the BRP to solved this problem.

BertRemington
02-02-2021, 11:25 PM
MRH -- I know nothing about iMotorsport except what is on their website. My BTDT experience was for a privately sold 2011 Royal Enfield. Actually not my most expensive motor vehicle mistake. That would be the 2001 Acura Integra Type R stolen from in front of my house three weeks after I purchased it. Trying to recover it taught me a lot about Acura Integra owners, very little was flattering. Let's just say most have a different attitude toward private ownership that members of this forum.

The essence of my argument remains: iMotorsport can't solve this CA emission label problem -- only Can-Am (BRP) can. If this Spyder is an 49-state model for whatever reason, only Cam-Am can provide a CA emissions label and corrected VIN information. And they can't if the evaporative canister with the pre-filter I cited above doesn't exist.

Apparently iMotorsport acquired and sold the Spyder in good faith. And apparently Supercrawler bought it in good faith assuming Can-Am only produced 50-state Spyders. But in the end the resolution is between Can-Am and Supercrawler. And if the evaporative canister (photograph is pre-filter, the hose leads to the canister) is in place I'm positive Can-Am will provide the necessary CA emission label.

RideOn
02-03-2021, 01:10 AM
That's good idea,
I will do that tomorrow.
As for the motorsport will give some times since they called me that they`'ll
Work with the BRP to solved this problem.

Supercrawler, I've tried to do a bit of research to help. I bought a new 2019 RT Limited from iMotorsports last June, and I received a Spyder with a label saying it met both federal and CA emissions (i.e. a 50-state model). I had no trouble getting it titled and registered in CA.

But on the CA Air Resources Board website, I found what is called an "Executive Order" stating that BRP has certified 2021 Rykers, both 600 and 900cc versions. There is an Executive Order for 2020 Spyders with the 1330, and there is one for 2019 models with the 1330 like mine. I printed out that EO and took it to DMV when I went to register, but they never looked at anything other than the label under the seat, the stamped VIN and the engine number.

I could not find an EO for the 2021 Spyders. I would assume from that BRP has not yet received certification from CARB, but that is speculation on my part. I did find a few links that might help you out:
List of CARB EO issued: https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php
A contact for someone who may be able to assist is on this page: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/new-vehicle-and-engine-programs-branch-issued-executive-orders
The name to contact for on-road motorcycles (code HMC) is Duc Nguyen at (626) 575-6844

I've also linked a page from DMV on registering motorcycles: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/new-registration/register-a-motorcycle/
The only thing I can find says it must have an emissions label that states it is CA compliant.

Hope this helps and good luck with getting things resolved,
Bob

Pirate looks at --
02-03-2021, 08:39 AM
I guess I don't understand why you bought the Spyder out of state. There are lots of reputable dealers all across the state. You know if you buy from one of them they would have registered it for you. Instead you are dealing with a dealer that apparently does not know the laws out here, or they made a huge (to you) mistake. We have purchased 3 Spyders in California with no issues. Just wondering what motivated you to roll the dice?

BajaRon
02-03-2021, 10:07 AM
I guess I don't understand why you bought the Spyder out of state. There are lots of reputable dealers all across the state. You know if you buy from one of them they would have registered it for you. Instead you are dealing with a dealer that apparently does not know the laws out here, or they made a huge (to you) mistake. We have purchased 3 Spyders in California with no issues. Just wondering what motivated you to roll the dice?

I would say price is the motivation. If cost is not an issue. Anything can be done. I would also say that this is a very rare situation. A vendor isn't going to last if these kinds of issues are not extremely rare. Someone dropped the ball somewhere. But I'd say this vendor will make it right. Too bad that someone is going to have to bite an unknown size bullet on this one.

jaherbst
02-03-2021, 10:27 AM

Well the obvious reason would be price. The second is door to door delivery. It appears BRP did not get the EO for the 2021 spiders from the state of CA.

Does anyone else from CA have a 2021 RTL with this sticker? Perhaps it is a very early import and the EO was not received before shipping it to California or the new sticker failed to be mounted prior to shipping.

Jack

ARtraveler
02-03-2021, 10:41 AM
The key thing here is that according to iMoto, this is the "first" instance of any problems with selling bikes to customers in the state of CA.

Give them a break to get the problem solved, which they said they would. If it is CA's fault for not having the right certificates for the manufacturers or sellers, that is just another strike for the state.

I have successfully purchased two Spyders from iMoto in the last year. All the paperwork was flawless and registration went just fine. Went to DMV yesterday and got my HC plate updated to the new 2020.

There are at least two dealers within 100 miles of me, one would not deal a dime on the 2019. It was take it or leave it. I left it. And I talked to the "owner" about it. Have not been back since. The other dealer would not return phone calls. Their loss, I guess.

I also like the fact that iMoto accepted my trade, no hassle, picked it up, and delivered the new Spyders to my back yard as ordered, etc. Would definately use them if there is another Spyder in my future.

BertRemington
02-03-2021, 12:25 PM
Based on RideOn's findings, it's pretty apparent what happened. Can-Am built as usual 50-state Spyders but there was an approval backlog at CARB so Can-Am released the 2021 RT with a 49-state emissions label event though the RT was 50-state compliant. Can-Am also sent a notice to the dealers but it was missed for Supercrawler's sale to a CA destination. iMotorsports can't fix this, only Can-Am can.

So I repeat my earlier guidance: get your VIN and call Can-Am to get an updated emissions label.

LeftCoast
02-03-2021, 01:40 PM
Know also that they may require to visually see the VIN in 2 places, one on the engine to prove the engine isn't stolen. This a two wheel problem affecting our Spyders for registration in Calif. If you got that far in the inspection and didn't get flagged then you are good. If you didn't they will want to see it on the engine. This is what happened to me when I bought my used 2015 RTL from out of state with 15k miles on it. If they do flag you on the engine VIN, I never did find mine, go to CHP, those guys have leeway to not see the engine VIN. They got me squared away in 15 mins. DMV here is a major PItA.

Supercrawler
02-03-2021, 02:31 PM
I got an email from Drew Warner Financial Dept at IMotorsports.

"Here you go.
temp tag attached
Jason is working on a solution to our problem.
Thanks again for your patience"

As for the question why I bought my spyder from out of Cali (IMotorsports)
The IMotorsports has better reputation than any other dealer in so Cali, I have been screwed from Del Amo Motorsports in Inglewood, Temecula and Motor united in La Habra.
They are a bunch of idiots; wasting my whole day, nothing but playing games.
The IMotorsports online sales persons are very easy to deal with,
Every person I talked to, you could tell has had some knowledge with their product. With that being said, I highly recommend IMotorsports.
Also, at the time couldn't found the color that I want.

K80Shooter
02-03-2021, 03:21 PM

"Here you go.
temp tag attached

As for the question why I bought my spyder from out of Cali (IMotorsports)
The IMotorsports has better reputation than any other dealer in so Cali, I have been screwed from Del Amo Motorsports in Inglewood, Temecula and Motor united in La Habra.
They are a bunch of idiots; wasting my whole day, nothing but playing games.
The IMotorsports online sales persons are very easy to deal with,
Every person I talked to, you could tell has had some knowledge with their product. With that being said, I highly recommend IMotorsports.
Also, at the time couldn't found the color that I want.

I agree, wait to see what Imotorsports can do before jumping the gun. I also didn't buy from a dealer in my state for the same reasons you stated.

jcthorne
02-03-2021, 07:21 PM
They sent a temp tag so you can ride the bike while they work this out. In the end they will have to put a 50 state bike on the truck and send it to you and pick that one up to sell as used. IMS is going to take a pretty good hit on this with loss of value in the used bike and round trip shipping. They will very likely not be able to apply a new decal to the bike.

Peteoz
02-03-2021, 07:25 PM

"Here you go.
temp tag attached

Great to hear, Supercrawler:thumbup: . Yes, it’s a right PITA for you, but a resolution is underway. Sometimes, things just fall between the stools, even if you have the best of intentions :clap:

Pete

Supercrawler
02-03-2021, 08:32 PM
..... remove the LH bodywork under the seat and see if there is a small rectangular box with two Philips screws on its cover and a rubber hose pointing downwards. If you have that then you're on the way to CA emissions compliance. If you don't then you've just made a $5K mistake. How do I know? BTDT.:D

Is this box you were talked about?

https://imgur.com/Q15QgoZ
https://imgur.com/3KiGJqe
https://imgur.com/JJUy3Ik

Mike0123
02-03-2021, 09:16 PM
Wow, this is just crazy. Hope it all works out.
One thought I have is that iMoto might have made a mistake, but they are on the hook because the bike isn’t certified for “sale” in California. I think that the point of not being able to register it is moot after that...they shouldn’t have even sold it to you.
IANAL, but thats what I see......

BertRemington
02-03-2021, 09:18 PM
Yes that is the pre-canister filter. The evaporative canister is located further to the right where those two hoses are headed.

You have a CARB-compliant 50-state vehicle. Just a bit ahead of the CARB approval process as RideOn's research discovered.

I checked Cycle Trader to see if 2021 RT-Ls are being sold new by CA dealers. Two places, San Diego and Elk Grove. So this situation should be resolved soon.

I was wrong about IMotorsports. They are aggressively intervening on your behalf with Can-Am (BRP). I'm impressed.

EDIT: I disagree with IMotorsports will have to take your Spyder back. The resolution is an updated emissions label. Tomorrow I'll try to ride over to Fun Bike (on the MG the RT-S is getting its maintenance baseline) and get a picture of the emissions label.

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-03-2021, 11:40 PM
Yes that is the pre-canister filter. The evaporative canister is located further to the right where those two hoses are headed.

You have a CARB-compliant 50-state vehicle. Just a bit ahead of the CARB approval process as RideOn's research discovered.

I checked Cycle Trader to see if 2021 RT-Ls are being sold new by CA dealers. Two places, San Diego and Elk Grove. So this situation should be resolved soon.

I was wrong about IMotorsports. They are aggressively intervening on your behalf with Can-Am (BRP). I'm impressed.

EDIT: I disagree with IMotorsports will have to take your Spyder back. The resolution is an updated emissions label. Tomorrow I'll try to ride over to Fun Bike (on the MG the RT-S is getting its maintenance baseline) and get a picture of the emissions label.

I have serious doubts that an " emissions label " could LEGALLY be applied by anyone other than BRP or Calif. DMV .....jmho ..... Mike :thumbup:

jaherbst
02-04-2021, 10:03 AM
They sent a temp tag so you can ride the bike while they work this out. In the end they will have to put a 50 state bike on the truck and send it to you and pick that one up to sell as used. IMS is going to take a pretty good hit on this with loss of value in the used bike and round trip shipping. They will very likely not be able to apply a new decal to the bike.

I agree, This is something that I Motorsports should have caught for a sale to CA. All dealers were notified about this delay and accepted these Spyder's knowingly. It was probably an early production and BRP had not received Executive Order on the CARB.

This is done for specific years each and every year. S0--They shipped early with a specific exemption for CA. Only BRP can Physically and legally change that sticker.

Jack

Supercrawler
02-04-2021, 11:25 AM
I see Jack.
That explained,
Around Nov of 2020 I called Cali dealers lookin for 2021 model no dealer has it they said it will be available sometime in Feb 2021.

RideOn
02-04-2021, 11:55 AM

For me, there were two specific reasons why I bought from iMoto:

1. At the time, there was a sizable rebate from BRP on 2019 RTLs, and no California dealer near me had what I wanted.

2. They offered me a better price for my trade than any nearby dealer I contacted. (BTW, the trade-in only lasted a few days at iMoto according to their website.)

Was it entirely painless? No, but the only real aggravation was dealing with DMV and paying the additional taxes and fees to CA. The entire transaction was done by phone and email - which does admittedly take something of a leap of faith. The new Spyder was rolled off the trailer and my trade-in rolled on about two weeks after the sale was finalized.

I was able to have the new Spyder inspected, titled and registered in one afternoon with the documents from iMotorsports and my checkbook. And it saved me over $6k to buy from iMoto and do my own title and registration.

Supercrawler
02-04-2021, 02:05 PM
Just got through talking with financial manager Jason at Imotorsport.
They are in process of swapping the vehicle, just need more time.
He added the BRP produced 2 models if the last 10 digit is start with #2 its 50 states complied if its start with #4 except California.(which is mine)
Imotorsport just received 130 spyders with #4 when they found out they are about return all to Can Am.

MRH
02-04-2021, 02:07 PM
He added the BRP produced 2 models if the last 10 digit is start with #2 its 50 states complied if its start with #4 except California.(which is mine)
Imotorsport just received 130 spyders with #4 when they found out they are about return all to Can Am.

So glad to hear that they are making this right. A great reason to do business with them!

Peteoz
02-04-2021, 03:15 PM
I have serious doubts that an " emissions label " could LEGALLY be applied by anyone other than BRP or Calif. DMV .....jmho ..... Mike :thumbup:

Hahaha... looks like you were proved right and BertRemington was wrong, Mike ��.

Pete

Supercrawler
02-04-2021, 03:55 PM
Nothing has happened yet,,
Just have to wait.
There's things has to remove if they swap'
Baja Ron sway bar, pedal commander, belt tensioner, f3 handle bar, passenger armrest, fog light, two brothers muffler, and so on,,,,

canamjhb
02-04-2021, 05:12 PM
Been following this with interest. Glad to see iMotorsport doing the right thing (as I expected they would). What a mess. And the cause? Not to get politics involved, but...... Jim

The500thDaytona
02-04-2021, 07:36 PM
That's incredible SMH. Ironically the first state I ever tried a can am in was California through Turo cause it's one of the only states where you can ride one without a motorcycle license. It gave me the bug instantly and when I returned home to the east coast I went straight to the MSF course. I did notice that the F3 I rented had Wisconsin plates though 🧐

BertRemington
02-04-2021, 11:16 PM
I am absolutely stunned by this turn of events. Can-Am produced two 2021 Spyder variants, both of which have the evaporative canister but only one of which is CARB-compliant. And I'm not the only one that is stunned. Here's the money quote "Imotorsport just received 130 spyders with #4 when they found out they are about return all to Can Am." Assuming a dealer price of $20K you do the math.

So Petoz I was wrong. Not only was I wrong but I was conceited about it two days ago "I agree with IGETAROUND and others that Can-Am doesn't make 49-state-only models. But I could be wrong -- it happens sometimes." Thanks for the reminder -- I need them occasionally. :D

And Supercrawler's situation is a disaster. Not only has he lost the joy of a new Spyder tailored exactly as he always wanted but it all has to be rolled back as labor or parts or both. Accessories only return your investment if you get to enjoy them. And I doubt a BajaRon odometer solution is feasible with the Spyder's "nanny" VSS. Plus he has to explain all this to his bank, etc. My sympathies and I hope he's on the road in time for a CA Spring.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-05-2021, 01:34 AM
Can-Am produced two 2021 Spyder variants, both of which have the evaporative canister but only one of which is CARB-compliant.......

So Petoz I was wrong. Not only was I wrong but I was conceited about it two days ago "I agree with IGETAROUND and others that Can-Am doesn't make 49-state-only models.
No, I don't think that is really the case. The responsibility (blame?) I think rests on California, primarily. Remember the discussion about early and late MY production awhile back? Spyders produced in May, or whatever the time frame is, are labeled early models. Quite possibly, the emissions info on those models was not reviewed and certified by CARB before BRP was ready to put them into the market pipeline. Maybe, and this is just my speculation, since the early 2021s were essentially the same as the 2020s BRP thought the 2020 CARB cert would cover them. And maybe that's what has happened in the past. Who knows, maybe there is a new 'strictly by the rules' head of CARB who kiboshed that old practice. One thing we know for sure, BRP nor CARB will ever clear up the mystery for us.

As I see it it's not a matter of BRP building separate 49 state and CA state models, but a problem of getting a CARB cert in a timely fashion. Without the EO in hand BRP could not push the Spyders out the door as CARB certified, even though the CARB cert causes no changes whatever to the physical machine. The fact that the first digit of the VIN is different between the CARB and non-CARB may be more of a record keeping action and a way to prevent non-CARB machines from having their manufacturing info massaged to make them look like CARB machines.

I think in this case the only difference between CARB and non-CARB machines is the label that is allowed to be affixed to them, and the first digit of the VIN.

ndspyderlover
02-05-2021, 11:44 AM
The key thing here is that according to iMoto, this is the "first" instance of any problems with selling bikes to customers in the state of CA.

Give them a break to get the problem solved, which they said they would. If it is CA's fault for not having the right certificates for the manufacturers or sellers, that is just another strike for the state.

I have successfully purchased two Spyders from iMoto in the last year. All the paperwork was flawless and registration went just fine. Went to DMV yesterday and got my HC plate updated to the new 2020.

There are at least two dealers within 100 miles of me, one would not deal a dime on the 2019. It was take it or leave it. I left it. And I talked to the "owner" about it. Have not been back since. The other dealer would not return phone calls. Their loss, I guess.

I also like the fact that iMoto accepted my trade, no hassle, picked it up, and delivered the new Spyders to my back yard as ordered, etc. Would definately use them if there is another Spyder in my future.I also bought a new Spyder from imotor and it was a pleasant experience. will buy their again.

ndspyderlover
02-05-2021, 11:52 AM
I guess I don't understand why you bought the Spyder out of state. There are lots of reputable dealers all across the state. You know if you buy from one of them they would have registered it for you. Instead you are dealing with a dealer that apparently does not know the laws out here, or they made a huge (to you) mistake. We have purchased 3 Spyders in California with no issues. Just wondering what motivated you to roll the dice?I think he bought out of state for the same reason i did. it was all about the trade. my local dealer did'nt want my trade.

canamjhb
02-05-2021, 12:57 PM
No, I don't think that is really the case. The responsibility (blame?) I think rests on California, primarily. Remember the discussion about early and late MY production awhile back? Spyders produced in May, or whatever the time frame is, are labeled early models. Quite possibly, the emissions info on those models was not reviewed and certified by CARB before BRP was ready to put them into the market pipeline. Maybe, and this is just my speculation, since the early 2021s were essentially the same as the 2020s BRP thought the 2020 CARB cert would cover them. And maybe that's what has happened in the past. Who knows, maybe there is a new 'strictly by the rules' head of CARB who kiboshed that old practice. One thing we know for sure, BRP nor CARB will ever clear up the mystery for us.

As I see it it's not a matter of BRP building separate 49 state and CA state models, but a problem of getting a CARB cert in a timely fashion. Without the EO in hand BRP could not push the Spyders out the door as CARB certified, even though the CARB cert causes no changes whatever to the physical machine. The fact that the first digit of the VIN is different between the CARB and non-CARB may be more of a record keeping action and a way to prevent non-CARB machines from having their manufacturing info massaged to make them look like CARB machines.

I think in this case the only difference between CARB and non-CARB machines is the label that is allowed to be affixed to them, and the first digit of the VIN.

I couldn't agree with you more. (See my post #71). I believe the problem is the state of California and has nothing to do with the machine itself. I believe it's the label and unusual bureaucratic process, not the configuration of the bike..... Jim

jaherbst
02-05-2021, 09:45 PM

Order for the CARB each and every year for each model is mind boggling. CA delayed this and BRP got anxious to ship so shipped with exception to these early models. That being said I Motorsports should have received a "warning bulletin" specific to this shipment. BRP knows full well they ship to all lower 48 states including CA

I know this is aggravating and will take time but some one simply was not doing their job or this would not have happened. I am sure I Motorsports will make good on this as they have no other choice. I do hope for your sake they expedite it.

I tried to deal with them several weeks ago on a 2020 or 2021 RTL. I made inquiries and received some Private Messages about I Motorsports with mixed responses. One buyer who lives 50 miles south of me was shipped the wrong color. IM did make it good after some delay. Others were not pleased and some had very positive transactions.

As some one above pointed out it is a "leap of faith" to purchase several thousand miles away with promises of correct paper work, color and delivery in a reasonable time. Most of this is dependent on how responsible the person or persons you are dealing with. As you know some are and some could care less and simply want the commission and a quick deposit in their Bank Account.

Also each state as you have found out has different criteria for their registration and tax not to mention emissions.

Jack

jaherbst
02-05-2021, 09:55 PM
I also bought a new Spyder from imotor and it was a pleasant experience. will buy their again.

Yes but you are not from "Cali" and their way of doing business and "saving the Planet".

Jack

MRH
02-06-2021, 11:31 AM
Yes but you are not from "Cali" and their way of doing business and "saving the Planet".

Jack

I've lived in Los Angeles since I grew up, and there is no question that emissions controls made a huge difference in the quality of life here. When I was growing up, there were constant "smog days" and the view was often simply brown. It's not like that anymore, and I like to be able to ride in the clean air of our nearby forests and canyons. It would make more sense if every state kept their emissions as controlled as possible.

jaherbst
02-18-2021, 06:11 PM

We are all waiting to hear how your registration with I-Motorsports and the state of California worked out. Has it been solved and if so how? We would all like to know.

Jack

Pirate
02-19-2021, 01:26 AM

Have you tried to purchase one now? MSRP for the motorcycle, dealer mark up fees due to Covid (lack of inventory), etc, AND they won't budge one inch on the price. I am looking to purchase my first one thru iMotorsports because the dealer up in Ncal (Spirit) and my 3 dealers down in SoCal (DelAmo, TriCounty, etc.) want to take advantage. iMotorSports is aware of the CA sticker issue and is holding up my purchase until they get it sorted, which is better for me.

TicketBait
02-19-2021, 01:56 PM
Imotorsport just received 130 spyders with #4 when they found out they are about return all to Can Am. <----Great info

Not all dealerships show the vin # when viewing new inventory on there website, but Yes every CA. dealership shows the last 10 digits beginning with a "2", Those that do in the other 49 states begin the last 10 digits with a "4"

I looked further and All the Sea to Sky models I found in stock in different states ALSO begin the 10 digit with a #2, so looks like if you find one in a different state it may be compliant, but as others have said or mentioned if Less than 7500 miles, make sure the emissions label reads California or 50 State certified.

Supercrawler
03-06-2021, 03:59 AM
Jason from IMotorsports called me today.
They finally received California version from Can Am It ready to ship out and swap the wrong spyder they sent.
Well,,this is what I been waiting for.
The IMotorsports was very understandable the mistake they made standes for consumers point of view all the way swaped the bike with no question to asked,, Defiantly recommend IMotorsports to purchase the bikes to all my friends.

porkchop1965
03-06-2021, 09:08 AM
Just finished reading this whole thing. Wow. I think I need a beer and a nap now. LOL

canamjhb
03-06-2021, 12:19 PM
Jason from IMotorsports called me today.
They finally received California version from Can Am It ready to ship out and swap the wrong spyder they sent.
Well,,this is what I been waiting for.
The IMotorsports was very understandable the mistake they made standes for consumers point of view all the way swaped the bike with no question to asked,, Defiantly recommend IMotorsports to purchase the bikes to all my friends.

Thank you very much for posting the resolution. Now we all know about the integrity of a good dealer..... Jim

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-06-2021, 02:19 PM
Thank you very much for posting the resolution. Now we all know about the integrity of a good dealer..... Jim

From everything I've read on this Forum I'm not surprised they did right by the OP ..... but I'm guessing the salesperson who made the error got " spanked " if not worse :gaah::roflblack::roflblack: ................JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:

sKiZo
03-06-2021, 03:29 PM
Meanwhile, me not being in one of the only 7 counties in Ohio to actually require an e-check, ripping off the catalytic converter on my Spyder. ;)

Horsepower? Wondering if I could get away with that on a Ryker 600 ...

** Just basically a piece of straight pipe, right? Here we call them "converter testers" ... <G>

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-06-2021, 03:30 PM
From everything I've read on this Forum I'm not surprised they did right by the OP ..... but I'm guessing the salesperson who made the error got " spanked " if not worse :gaah::roflblack::roflblack: ................JMHO .... Mike :thumbup:
From what I read earlier in this thread this might be a case of Imotorsports getting blindsided by BRP sales and shipping. One thing we can count on. We'll never be told for sure who dropped the ball!

sKiZo
03-06-2021, 03:38 PM
... and the best part is you didn't have to do battle with the guvmint to git er done. My last encounter with the state was applying for a personal plate that I've had for decades. It had lapsed as I was in the hospitals on and off for about a year after a major wreck. Paid the money to renew, and got a letter a couple weeks later saying it had been denied because somebody might find it offensive ...

http://www.brainfartz.com/images/Motorcycles/ural/Heidenau-mounted.jpg

Headed back to the DMV, letter in hand, ready to kick some bureaucratic butts, and got lucky. The branch manager agreed it was BS, made a couple calls, and the plate showed up about a week later.

ARtraveler
03-06-2021, 04:59 PM
From what I read earlier in this thread this might be a case of Imotorsports getting blindsided by BRP sales and shipping. One thing we can count on. We'll never be told for sure who dropped the ball!

And I am guessing that person will remain nameless. :bowdown:

The bottom line though, Customer and iMoto had a problem, solved the problem, and the customer got what they wanted. This was not solved instantly because governments got involved. They worked through it though. :bowdown:

Supercrawler
03-06-2021, 11:47 PM
Thanks all for concerns, thoughts,and advises,

Supercrawler
04-06-2021, 03:20 PM
Finally my patience has been paid off.
IMotorsports has delivered my (truly mine) bike today.
I was bit of agony not to ride spyder that I purchased it simply don't feel like it is mine.been parked next to Harley for some time.
Just over 1500 miles since I got early Dec of last year.
Want to add the differences from early 21 model late 21 model are late 21 has the Belt tensioner or damper already installed, and the mirrors are solid no vibration at all,, finaly Brp listened riders complain i guessed.

AZCanAm
04-06-2021, 03:54 PM
Congrats. The good news is you're back down to nearly zero miles on your bike and presumably the warranty has been reset. Enjoy!

Supercrawler
04-06-2021, 09:56 PM
Yes,Sir,,
The new bike has only 1.7 mile. Enjoy every bit of it for sure.