PDA

View Full Version : New F1 Queen

Twodog185
08-29-2009, 04:48 PM
I bought the F1 queen. I got it through my dealer, and got a good discount. It came with the normal dark laminar (moveable shield).

I really didn't like it after testing.

I called Marcel and had him make me a clear one, 2" taller.

I removed all the old hardware, and heated up the base shield to straighten it out. It was too curved, and not quite straight in line with the bike. Moving the mounts created holes in the shield that are uncovered, but I've created a fix for that but it'll be a couple of weeks before the fix arrives.

I spread the mounts so they hold the laminar more solid at 70mph than the original configuration. I also put some heat on the laminar and made it more curved, so the wind slides to the side more easily.

As you can see from the picture, I also don't raise the laminar all the way to the top, hence the need for a taller laminar. The shield is now completely solid at speed, and doesn't even wobble when around a truck.

I can still raise it fully in case of rain though.

The new set up is great. No head buffering, and I can wear just plain glasses with no goggles now. That's when I'm wearing a novelty bucket.

It's absolutely smooth with my full face.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/twodog35120/Spyder%20Mods/PICT0128.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/twodog35120/Spyder%20Mods/PICT0125.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/twodog35120/Spyder%20Mods/PICT0127.jpg

boulderspyder
08-30-2009, 12:32 PM
what's the advantage of having that in two pieces

Dochands
08-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Did you notice an increase in helmet noise until you raised the shield up a bit? This happened when I installed and tried mine out today. At first I thought I had a big hole somewhere in my helmet. lol

Raised the shield about halfway and its better. Still not what I expected given the taller height of the Queen. I guess it moves the airflow up and onto my helmet but without the shield always up the wind noise is now deafening.

bjt
08-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Did you notice an increase in helmet noise until you raised the shield up a bit? This happened when I installed and tried mine out today. At first I thought I had a big hole somewhere in my helmet. lol

Raised the shield about halfway and its better. Still not what I expected given the taller height of the Queen. I guess it moves the airflow up and onto my helmet but without the shield always up the wind noise is now deafening.

My impression of similar windshields (I've owned a few F1 windshields including the slider) are that they took all the air that was hitting me in the chest and moved it up to a level just over my shoulders so all that turbulent air was very close to my ears. Some additional tweaking was involved in getting that turbulent air up to at least the top of my helmet to make it quieter. On the slider, that simply involved raising the inner shield.

bjt
08-31-2009, 10:38 PM
what's the advantage of having that in two pieces

You mean the inner, clear shield and the outer, smoked shield?