PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ramblings....

rocinante54
01-29-2021, 04:52 PM
I’ve been riding motorcycles as a re-entry rider since 2007. My last conventional motorcycle was a Suzuki C50, which I loved, but had some difficulty riding due to problems in my legs and hips. I switched over to a Honda Silverwing maxi-scoot. I didn’t have to shift it, as everything on the bike is done with the hands. The handling was OK, but I actually preferred the handling of the C50.

Last September, we moved halfway across the country. I sold the SWing before we left, because I had decided that when we got to our new place, I was going to switch over to a trike. I’m 66 and want to prolong my riding years, which I was not sure I’d be able to do much longer on two wheels. After we got here, I started doing some shopping. I looked at the CanAm Spyder RT, F3 and Ryker and the Harley Freewheeler. I wanted to stay with factory trikes to avoid any problems with dealership servicing.

I ended up with a 2020 Spyder RT base, which I got a pretty good deal on. I had it delivered to the house, plugged it into the charger and promptly forgot about it, as the weather was miserable. I knew there would be a steep learning curve. I had done my homework and I knew that it would be a bit of weirdness converting to a trike after riding two-wheel machines which leaned and counter-steered. I also knew that there were no trike classes near me, so I’d have to sort of figure it out on my own.

Today, conditions looked pretty good. I got suited up, unplugged the charger and hopped on the RT. Went to start it…nothing. Yes, I had studied the book, but forgot to press the mode switch when starting…reviewed the book again, put on the foot on the brake, run switch on, in neutral, press mode switch and then starter switch and Presto Bango…started right up. I know it’s not good to run the machine for short periods of time, so I resolved to go on for a bit and get the motor warmed up. Put it in 1st, gave it a bit of throttle and turned the bars to get onto the driveway….immediately, my motorcycle elf instructed me to turn the bars further and put my feet down, so I could paddle the bike outta there, but then my new trike brain took over. I hit the brakes, stopped and successfully engaged reverse, carefully backed up and wobbled down the driveway and left onto our little country lane.

Speaking of country lanes, every Spyder newbie should have one. Ours is not in the greatest of shape, pavement-wise, but it’s not busy and it has little stretches of straights, right angle turns following property lines and curves. It provided me with the opportunity to practice my up and down shifts, braking and turning. I took it out to where it ends on a bigger county road (still not busy, though), turned around, came back, turned into our little area and rode it down around the corner and to the end of the cul de sac, then back out onto the lane.

By now, I was starting to feel a little better with the handling and power and shifting, so this time, I took it back down to the county road and then ran up to the county airport through some nice curves and turns. At the airport, I stopped and turned it off, then started it up and practiced backing up. That went well, so I went back the way I came, but instead of going back on the little lane, I decided to give it a shot on the highway. Our highway is two lane out of town, but fairly busy and traffic moves along pretty well, meaning 65-70 mph. I waited for a break in the traffic so I wouldn’t have anyone breathing down my neck, then turned onto the highway, straightened up and goosed it. That 1330 triple started making all kinds of fun noises and before I knew it, I was zipping along at traffic speed no problem.

Went down a bit and then picked up another country road leading to the state highway, which is another two lane, well-travelled road with traffic running 65-75. The back road was a blast, 55+ and then braking and downshifting into corners and curves. At the state highway, I again waited for a break in traffic, pulled out and headed towards our country lane. Maintained speed and negotiated the curves by the river without incident and without holding up traffic, as by now, I had developed more confidence in the machine’s handling characteristics.

Back home I went and backed the machine up into its garage stall with no problem.

Some general observations for other newbies like me who might have to teach themselves to ride a Spyder RT or F3:

• The Spyder RT is very comfortable to me. The controls are easy to use. I’m very glad I got the semi-auto transmission instead of the manual gearbox, which I understand you can still get on an F3. Having now ridden the bike with the semi-auto trans, I personally would not opt for the manual box.

• Visibility is good, as is weather protection.

If you’re converting to a Spyder from two wheels:

• Go slow at first and feel how the Spyder reacts to your input. Remember that it doesn’t lean because it direct-steers and it only has one brake at the floorboard.

• Practice starting and stopping the engine and putting the transmission in gear and in reverse.

• Relax your grip on the bars. We all have a tendency to apply a death grip to the bars on new powersports machines, because our brain tells us that that is how we control the unknown. Just like your old two-wheel motorcycle instructors and mentors told you back in the day….RELAX THAT GRIP. The bike will sort itself out and you’ll only need to make small adjustments as you go down the road.

• You will sense that the Spyder does not track as well as your previous two-wheel machine. I’d say from my limited perspective that that is probably correct, but it actually does track quite well…it’s just different, not worse. You will grow accustomed to it.

Lastly, remember…this is supposed to be fun. The Spyder is not and never will be a two-wheeled machine…it is its own entity. Many people from all walks of life have mastered the Spyder and you and I can, too.

Snoking1127
01-29-2021, 05:41 PM
My only real road bike was a 78 650SR Kawasaki in the early 80's. All other bikes were smaller Honda dirt bikes in the 60's and 70's. On Oct 31st 2020 we bought a 2018 RT Limited and I rode it around the RV park for a few days before taking a two day trike class sponsored by Can Am. Now I have put around 3 miles on it and have done many upgrades noted in my signature. LOVING IT! Enjoy, take the trike class if you can find one near by.

ButterSmooth
01-29-2021, 07:18 PM
The one detail that I missed when I first got my 2020RT(not LTD) was checking the rear suspension air pressure. Mine seems to lose about a pound a week, so every two weeks I check tire pressures (which are very stable) and the rear suspension pressure. Just a heads up!

ARtraveler
01-29-2021, 07:24 PM
Here is a good read if you have not done so already.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

JohnRuckus
01-29-2021, 09:21 PM
Congrats on the RT. Safe travels!

Valkrocket
01-30-2021, 07:00 AM
Coming from two to three wheels a few years back, I found the owners manual supplied with your new Spyder a wealth of information and instruction on how to ride a Spyder. There is a section titled "Required riding skills and practice exercises" that have you set up a practice area using small traffic cones. I went to my local mall early on a Sunday morning and practiced on the course. After a while I really got good at cornering, braking and changing gears correctly. Wife also practiced on it. I give it 5 stars for information and instruction. :thumbup:

Northofthesix
01-30-2021, 08:34 AM
Congratulations on your move to three! I made the shift 18 months ago when it was becoming clear to me that the weight of my Yamaha Royal Star Venture was becoming too much in low speed maneuvering. I found a great deal on a 2018 RTL demo unit 1500km away from where I lived, and without ever even sitting on one before, flew out, picked it up and drove it home over 2 days. I probably should have taken more time, but I have always been an immersive learner :) My ride was along the north shore of Lake Superior in September, so fantastic scenery, weather that ranged from 2C at daybreak to 19C by mid afternoon, and torrential downpours to (mostly) brilliant sunshine, so I had ridden in everything by the time I got home. The more I ride, the easier it has gotten .... as you are already finding out!!

Schreckftw
01-30-2021, 01:19 PM
I have had mine for almost 5 months. I took me around 1000 miles or so to figure out what this thing really is and how to ride it. Being on two wheels my whole life its nice to be learning so much again. I will say although I no longer reach for the clutch I do find my self letting off the throttle still if I start ripping through the gears on some old back road. 30+ years of muscle memory is hard to lose.

askitee
01-30-2021, 05:53 PM
Hi Rocinante54,

Great piece of reporting there on your experience. Glad to see your are thinking the transition thru as so many often don't and decide the Spyder isn't for them.

Having transitioned from Sports Tourers you reminded me of my test ride. I took the chief navigator with me, we got off at a local lookout, she was grinning from hear and asked what did I think, my reply removed her smile "I don't like it!!!" Even though I'd owned Quads and was used to riding them for hunting or ratting around a friends sheep station, I just didn't like the RTL Spyder.

I spent 40 odd mins working thru why I didn't like it, did all sorts of weird things on the way back to the dealership, test rode an F3 and withing seconds the penny dropped. I was then hooked just like you.

It brings with it new issues to deal with - important ones - where to ride next, what roads havent I enjoyed, and what accessories to buy next - don't say you weren't warned. :2thumbs:

Be safe and enjoy, thanks for sharing.

rocinante54
04-20-2021, 03:36 PM
Hi, all. Thanks for the replies.

I've now had the bike out three times. The second time was another local ride up and back and I have to confess that I was not digging it at all in the twisties...felt like I was bouncing from one side of the lane to the other, instead of carving a line in the turn, as I did on two wheels. Felt very awkward and weird. I found myself not loving it.

Did some research and found out that tire pressure and rear suspension air pressure were critically important. After we went through the big freeze here, I found my tires were low by about 5 psi or more, so I aired them up to 20 in the front and 28 in the rear, per the owner's manual. I also checked the air pressure in the rear suspension and discovered it was at 30 psi...way, way below the setting recommended for my weight and cargo weight in the manual. I aired it up to 60 pounds and then waited for the next day I could ride.

That day was today. I checked all my air pressure settings again and topped everything off. Even though I was feeling a bit discouraged about the whole thing, I set in my mind that I was going to do a longer run out in the twisties and country roads near here and try to put 75-100 miles on the bike today. I wanted maximum twisty to help me develop my cornering skills with the machine. Part of my research suggested that I should lean to the inside of the turn and weight the outboard floorboard. So I worked on that today and I have to say it helped me to develop more confidence in cornering on the machine, not to mention the very quick downshifts which are possible with the semi-auto transmission. Also, having the correct pressure in the rear suspension really helped a great deal, so I gained quite a bit more confidence in cornering and handling. I found that in our rural area here, road maintenance and construction quality are a bit flaky here, so on roads with a lot of camber, I had to maintain a bit of "uphill pressure" on the bars to compensate for the direction of the camber. Also, rougher pavement caused the bike to handle a bit squirrely. Worked on avoiding death grip on the bars, as previously described above, and everything worked out well...the most important aspect being that I developed more confidence in controlling the bike. Also learned some technical things, such as fueling up, resetting the trip odometers, etc.

All that said, in transparency, I must admit that while I was cruising down these roads this morning, I occasionally thought about how much more fun it would have been on two wheels. That's probably a heretical statement here and I mean no offense...just stating a thought. We progress anon. Thanks to all for your support.

CopperSpyder
04-20-2021, 05:38 PM
The more seat time you get the better it will become. Two wheels are fun and will always be good memories but there sure are times when I say that I'm glad I'm on the Spyder going around a corner when I see the loose stuff in the road. I have just become so much more relaxed when riding the Spyder. It is a trade off for the leaning feeling and some adjustment but well worth it. With some time you will feel the same, The Spyder is Fast, Stable and can stop very quick. Oh and lacks a Kickstand.
Rocinante54 Your doing great, hopefully it will come to you soon. :thumbup:

Saluda
04-20-2021, 10:06 PM
Enjoy.

rocinante54
06-03-2021, 11:52 AM
Recently viewed a video on YouTube by CoachBob on cornering a Spyder RT. Was very helpful. I found that I was mostly doing things correctly, except that I was steering mostly with my left hand and was not really "pushing". Corrected that a week or so ago...pushing the outboard handlebar, weighting the outboard floorboard and leaning into the apex really makes a big difference. Feeling a lot more positive about the Spyder now and learning to accept it for what it is and what I can do with it. I'm missing a big 5-day group ride to Hot Springs next week...sure would like to go, but not for 5 days. I want to do some local rides with the local Spyder club and the CMA...I did some formation riding with the Patriot Guard Riders in the two-wheel days and typically, we'd have the trikes at the rear of the pack for sweep...so that will be fine with me.

Hope everyone is having a good spring. I'm still waiting for it to dry out a bit here in NE TX.