PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Brake Light - is there anything available that wont cause faults?

K80Shooter
01-24-2021, 06:21 PM
Ok I have the 2020 RT Limited, I would like to add something to the trunk/3rd brake light to make it flash when the brakes are applied. I was wanting the Back Off XP but one of our sponsors tells me that it's not designed for the Can-Am Spyder's system.

Does anyone have anything that will work without causing fault codes or anything? I only want to attach it to that one light.

Thanks in advance.

Steve W.
01-24-2021, 06:32 PM
Not sure about the '20, but I added the tail/brake/turn unit from Big Bike Parts to my wife's '17 RT-S. Also added a customized license frame from Signal Dynamics that has two full sets of red LEDs. Installed the Back Off XP module to flash just those lights, not the stock lights or the LED strips from TricLED, have had no problems.

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-24-2021, 07:01 PM
Ok I have the 2020 RT Limited, I would like to add something to the trunk/3rd brake light to make it flash when the brakes are applied. I was wanting the Back Off XP but one of our sponsors tells me that it's not designed for the Can-Am Spyder's system.

Does anyone have anything that will work without causing fault codes or anything? I only want to attach it to that one light.

Thanks in advance.
If you haven't already, get the service manual for your Spyder. A good source is www.canammanuals.com. I'm not sure they're totally legit from a copyright standpoint, but they are faithful copies of the OEM manuals, and about the only ones available to us mortals. You'll need it any case to very much maintenance on the bike yourself.

Study the wiring diagram. If the brake lights are like those on pre-2020 they are powered directly from a +12 volt source through the brake light switch. The only CanBus related connection is a lead that goes to the ECM that let's the ECM know when the brake pedal is pushed. In that case you can add additional lights without causing any problems. Based on what I see of trailer wiring harnesses I'm sure that is the case. If the brake lights were controlled by CanBus you'd see a whole different wiring scenario.

Custom Dynamics has several options for high mount brake lights.

Snoking1127
01-24-2021, 08:10 PM
If you haven't already, get the service manual for your Spyder. A good source is www.canammanuals.com. I'm not sure they're totally legit from a copyright standpoint, but they are faithful copies of the OEM manuals, and about the only ones available to us mortals. You'll need it any case to very much maintenance on the bike yourself.

Study the wiring diagram. If the brake lights are like those on pre-2020 they are powered directly from a +12 volt source through the brake light switch. The only CanBus related connection is a lead that goes to the ECM that let's the ECM know when the brake pedal is pushed. In that case you can add additional lights without causing any problems. Based on what I see of trailer wiring harnesses I'm sure that is the case. If the brake lights were controlled by CanBus you'd see a whole different wiring scenario.

Thanks, I download the manuals for my year and put a copy on my smart phone. Chris

BertRemington
01-24-2021, 09:40 PM
For my 2014 RT-S I just converted the incandescent 7507 turn and 1156 backup bulbs into dual LED turn signal bulbs (the LED backup light will be below the license plate). No fast flashes or dashboard indications.

PS I'm looking at the Skene P3 Lights with Decelerometer https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/P3-Lights-with-Decelerometer-p199847654 as my CHMSL. I'm not expecting any problems but if I need assistance the Skene folks are helpful experts.

K80Shooter
01-25-2021, 08:47 AM

I do plan on purchasing a shop manual. (thanks for the link) I was in the repair industry for 30 years with lots of hands on experience so I'll be doing everything non warranty related myself. I did take mine back for a warranty issue and was less than impressed with the service department.

I was hoping someone had already done a 2020 or 2021 and could shed some light on it although all other thoughts are appreciated.

campermac
01-30-2021, 10:11 PM
I have a basic modulator on my 2019 F3 Limited and it wires in the same as the 2020 and 2021 bikes. I did something else different from what others do and that is I cut the wire for the running light on the trunk so that way when the brake light comes on and modulates it really catches you attention.

bikerbillone
01-31-2021, 07:12 AM
Pretty sure SpyderPops has one for the 2020. Think he's a vendor here. Click on that.

K80Shooter
01-31-2021, 07:40 AM
Pretty sure SpyderPops has one for the 2020. Think he's a vendor here. Click on that.

I sent SpyderPops a message but haven't gotten a response from them. I also contacted TricLED and what they offer is a system that plugs into the wiring harness to flash all of the rear lights and I was only wanting to flash the trunk light. I thought of purchasing one of the trunk kits and only using it for the light but that's a waste of money as the strip lights wont be used.

K80Shooter
01-31-2021, 07:43 AM
I have a basic modulator on my 2019 F3 Limited and it wires in the same as the 2020 and 2021 bikes. I did something else different from what others do and that is I cut the wire for the running light on the trunk so that way when the brake light comes on and modulates it really catches you attention.

If you don't mind, which basic modulator did you use? Thanks

bikerbillone
01-31-2021, 08:08 AM
Shooter, try this link, https://spyderpops.com/rt-spyclops-vision-bright-led-lights/

K80Shooter
01-31-2021, 10:23 AM
Shooter, try this link, https://spyderpops.com/rt-spyclops-vision-bright-led-lights/

Thanks but that's the Spyclops that goes on the front of the bike, I have that one and really like it a lot. :thumbup:

K80Shooter
01-31-2021, 10:25 AM
I think I'll order this one and give it a try. I will report back after some testing and trying it out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0185HMIIQ/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

bikerbillone
01-31-2021, 10:45 AM
Whoops, and so it is, sorry. But SpyderPops does have one, if this link does not take it you immediately to it, it the the last one in the array of 2020 LEDs.

https://spyderpops.com/led-lighting/rt/

K80Shooter
01-31-2021, 11:57 AM
Whoops, and so it is, sorry. But SpyderPops does have one, if this link does not take it you immediately to it, it the the last one in the array of 2020 LEDs.

https://spyderpops.com/led-lighting/rt/

Is this what you're thinking of? https://spyderpops.com/spyder-2020-up-rt-2017-up-f3l-super-bright-run-brake-strobe-bars-for-the-limited-top-case-plug-play-makes-your-top-case-oem-brake-light-strobe-also-spy394/ I had saw that & thought about purchasing it but I just do not like the strip lights that goes with it and to purchase them and not use them is just too much of a waste to me at $129.00. I thought either them or Tricled could just sell me the flasher without the other but apparently not. I understand as it wouldn't produce as much income for them but also some is better than nothing.

Snoking1127
01-31-2021, 12:17 PM
This is what I just installed. 20+ flash programs.

https://www.ledequipped.com/a-1375088/

K80Shooter
01-31-2021, 12:29 PM

I got this from Rick at Value Accessories https://store.valueaccessories.net/4LEDSMDRedStrobeLight.aspx for another project but was wanting to make the light that is in the trunk flash without having to install another light. Thanks :cheers:

Snoking1127
01-31-2021, 11:44 PM

Picture of light installed.

Snoking1127
02-03-2021, 10:00 AM
I just ordered this little timer to turn off the third brake light strobe when setting at a stop light and holding down the brake pedal for extended time. I will let you know how it works out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BT25J52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-03-2021, 10:15 AM
Picture of light installed.

Why didn't you mount it at the top of the trunk lid? It would have been more visible up there. There are several lights made for that space. Did you consider any of them?

ARtraveler
02-03-2021, 10:32 AM
We have the SPY394 version on our F3L 2019. $129.95. Works great. Planning on having a set installed on the new F3L 2020 when we take it in for first service.

Both Spyderpops and Lamonster Garage have the same set.

Snoking1127
02-03-2021, 10:41 AM
Why didn't you mount it at the top of the trunk lid? It would have been more visible up there. There are several lights made for that space. Did you consider any of them?

Yes, they are however a bit pricy. The strobe I bought was 26 bucks on Amazon and even cheaper straight from LEDequiped.com. I could have fashioned a mounting block to match the contour up there, and I could still do that. However if I decide on a rear rack, then the light there is obscured. Where I put it, I have one 1/4" hole in the black plastic and Ace has nice little black plugs that I can pop in the hole. AND, I like creating little projects myself.

rick_w
02-03-2021, 12:50 PM
We have the full harness with Flasher available. They have the exact same CanBus compatible Flasher assembly in it that Custom Dynamics uses.
We installed one on our own 2020RT, works great.
https://store.valueaccessories.net/RTBrakeflasherModule.aspx

K80Shooter
02-03-2021, 03:15 PM
Rick,
I have looked at that but please correct me if I'm wrong, that would flash all of the rear brake lights wouldn't it?

I just want the trunk brake light to flash. Like maybe if that flasher unit would plug in directly at the trunk light would work. :dontknow:

I have a flasher that I got today and will try it then post back here in a few days after I install and try it out.

IdahoMtnSpyder
02-03-2021, 03:46 PM
Yes, they are however a bit pricy. The strobe I bought was 26 bucks on Amazon and even cheaper straight from LEDequiped.com. I could have fashioned a mounting block to match the contour up there, and I could still do that. However if I decide on a rear rack, then the light there is obscured. Where I put it, I have one 1/4" hole in the black plastic and Ace has nice little black plugs that I can pop in the hole. AND, I like creating little projects myself.
That's kind of what I thought might be the case. On my 2013, and then 2014 RTs I mounted TruFlex strips from Custom Dynamics, a red one for high mount brake, and short ones to the side for turn. Not as wallet friendly as what you bought. The brake one on my 2014 was replaced with a Custom Dynamics brake light by Pit Bull Motorsports when I was at Spyderfest. They goofed and cut the wires for it thinking my RT was the one scheduled to have one installed. It wasn't! Getting blocked by a trunk rack is why I installed a Rivco rack - https://www.rivcoproducts.com/shop/can-am-spyder/racks/ca040bk-black/. The high mount brake light is quite visible under the rack. I wired in a Signal Dynamics brake light modulator and made my own harness for it all.

Snoking1127
02-04-2021, 05:30 PM
I just ordered this little timer to turn off the third brake light strobe when setting at a stop light and holding down the brake pedal for extended time. I will let you know how it works out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BT25J52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OK, installed the timer and set it for 20 +/- seconds. Press and hold brake pedal and strobe flashes for 20 seconds. It goes off if you lift your foot earlier. Once it times out, a quick release of the brake and back on restarts the timer with strobe light on again.

Settings:
S1 ON
S2 OFF
S4 Closed
S5 Open
S6 Open
S7 Closed

I ran a jumper from the VCC in (12V DC in) to the common on the relay output. Note: Jumper S5 will do this also, however current is limited through the jumper.

LED strobe is connected to NC out on the relay.

I mounted the timer behind the release panel on the trunk with plastic stand offs.

Works like I wanted it to.

Steve W.
02-04-2021, 06:52 PM
Can you adjust that 20 second time down to about 5? The flashing is supposed to attract attention to your brake light, but not irritate to the point of aggravation.

Think of the car behind you in heavy traffic. All they will see is a blinking light that OCCASIONALLY goes solid.

Snoking1127
02-04-2021, 07:13 PM
Can you adjust that 20 second time down to about 5? The flashing is supposed to attract attention to your brake light, but not irritate to the point of aggravation.

Think of the car behind you in heavy traffic. All they will see is a blinking light that OCCASIONALLY goes solid.

The timer is adjustable from 0.1 sec to 60 minutes. I wish the strobe I bought had an option to flash and then go solid, however it does not, so I installed the timer ti turn it off. I can play with the timer, however now have to remove the remove the rear trunk tupperware to do that.

spyDerred15
02-04-2021, 09:37 PM
Spyder pops has a set up that works real fine.

K80Shooter
02-09-2021, 07:18 PM
Ok here's what I did. I got one of these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PSBSXD6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I read all of the reviews and noted that some people were having problems. They were thinking that the red wire was the + hot wire for the light (correct) and the original black wire was the - ground. This is wrong. If you go with this unit use the red for the incoming positive/hot on the light (on my 2020 this is the white wire) For the - or ground you will need to run a wire from a known ground source (under the seat there is a ground wire running from the frame to a bolt on the right front corner) I attached my ground here with a 5/16 ring terminal then ran the wire to the unit that I installed. Everything works great this way. Total cost was maybe $25.00

If you want all of your brake lights hooked to this simply hook it up at the brake light switch. You still need to run a separate true ground for it.

Again "Do not use the black wire that's running to the light for the ground", if you do you will have problems.

askitee
02-09-2021, 10:08 PM

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone suggested a Bypass relay like this https://www.amazon.com.au/Maypole-3877A-7-Way-Pass-Buzzer/dp/B003H5FX6Q/ref=asc_df_B003H5FX6Q/?tag=googleshopdsk-22&linkCode=df0&hvadid=463928084870&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1534379195815080075&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9071634&hvtargid=pla-564872053596&psc=1

Being in Australia we have 7 pin plugs and have to do something different if we want the reversing lights to work on our Trailer plus a few other things. The Bypass relay stopped the problems with Canbus. I am sure I have seen a US version with far less wires

K80Shooter
02-10-2021, 11:42 AM
Look at the post right above yours, that's what I used and it works like I wanted it to.v:spyder2:

Snoking1127
02-17-2021, 07:18 AM
OK, installed the timer and set it for 20 +/- seconds. Press and hold brake pedal and strobe flashes for 20 seconds. It goes off if you lift your foot earlier. Once it times out, a quick release of the brake and back on restarts the timer with strobe light on again.

Settings:
S1 ON
S2 OFF
S4 Closed
S5 Open
S6 Open
S7 Closed

I ran a jumper from the VCC in (12V DC in) to the common on the relay output. Note: Jumper S5 will do this also, however current is limited through the jumper.

LED strobe is connected to NC out on the relay.

I mounted the timer behind the release panel on the trunk with plastic stand offs.

Works like I wanted it to.

Working out the details one making the strobe flash for a set period of time and then switch to steady on. When the brake pedal is push the +12V turns on the timer and activates the relay and the strobe comes on. When the timer expires the relay drops and sends +12V to the cruise lead and turns on the LEDs stead until the brake pedal is released.

Did a wiring diagram:

BertRemington
02-17-2021, 01:15 PM
I cheated (on my motorcycles, not my Spyder where I'm using the Skene deceleration flasher) with this configurable weather-resistant brake flasher https://www.amazon.com/blinker-flashes-solid-Safety-Universal/dp/B00SQEI4GO

Snoking1127
03-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Well I just re-did my third brake light strobe with a slightly different model from LEDequipped.com model A-1375 which has an addition lead for steady on. So now it flashes until the timer expires and then goes steady on. I have the timer set for 9 seconds +/-.