PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle pants question

JimH
01-18-2021, 03:05 PM
Question about motorcycle pants, not chaps, but actual pants with the knee pads in them, etc. Are they meant to be worn over pants or not with pants at all?
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Peter Aawen
01-18-2021, 03:38 PM
You can get both types! :ohyea: I have a set of Can-Am 'Over-pants' that have zippers right up the outside of each leg to make them easy to put on/take off that are designed to go on over your normal street clothes; and I also have a few of the 'wear as your clothes' types that are quite presentable too; they come in styles that include jeans, chino's, cargo pants, and more; plus of course, there's always leather pants too!! :ohyea:

All of those are available with some degree of kevlar/aramid type lining &/or armour like removable knee pads, some even have removable hip, thigh, &/or tail-bone pads too!! And no rider's wardrobe would be complete without at least SOME of the protective gear that you can get which is close fitting enough to be worn UNDER your 'normal' street clothes. That gear can be pretty handy, and ranges from simple kevlar/aramid long-johns & tops thru to full on armour embedded in high tech compression gear. It all depends on exactly what you want it to do & the type of ryding you're planning on... but please remember that it's not always what YOU do or intended to do that means you might need this sort of protective gear! :shocked: And while the kevlar/aramid type fabric can save you from losing a lot of skin, it's the armour that saves bones, limbs, &/or important appendages. :thumbup:

Help any?! :dontknow:

spyder01
01-18-2021, 04:01 PM
Ive got some brand new,never worn Drayko's for sale if youre interested,you wear them like regular pants and their pretty comfortable.

Possible
01-18-2021, 04:17 PM
Yep, like Mr. Aawen said: they come in both flavors.

RayBJ
01-18-2021, 04:23 PM
Many "Riding" pants can do double duty by wearing them over street clothes as well. If the pants come with inner liners, you can remove them to make room for the street pants.
"Over-pants" tend to be looser fitting than Riding gear.

Wmoater
01-18-2021, 06:44 PM
I wear Klim Baja mesh pants. On a week long trip I wore shorts and them. Klim is the best protective gear around. I also have Klim latitude pants that I wear as rain pants over jeans and fall and spring. Both over jeans and shorts.

ARtraveler
01-18-2021, 07:04 PM
As Peter A said: they come in both flavors. They tend to be on the heavy side if made from leather that is thick enough to provide good protection.

That's the nice thing about chaps...you get the extra protection, but can go down to street clothes when you don't need. it. And the change out is quick and easy. :yes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
01-18-2021, 07:34 PM
Ive got some brand new,never worn Drayko's for sale if youre interested,you wear them like regular pants and their pretty comfortable.
I can't resist! How do you know they are comfortable if you've never worn them? :roflblack:

OK, I know. You bought them as replacements, right?

cptjam
01-18-2021, 08:54 PM
I wear Aerostich pants. AD1. I wear them over sweats, as I want the warmth. In hot weather, I wear khaki, but wear the aerostich if it rains. Best I’ve found. I’ve only been riding 50 years, so I have more to learn. What works for me might not work for you. Try different things. All I know is for the last 300,000 miles or so, my AD1 pants kept me dry and warm. YMMV

cueman
01-18-2021, 09:25 PM
Good info folks! I have three sets of specialized riding gear not counting rain gear and I’ve found that Deluth clothing company sell many kinds of jeans that some have knee pads, some extra room for the boys, some that are quick drying and some they call Fire Hose pants. I have a few pair and I like them. IMHO it’s worth doing a search for this company. They also sell so much more stuff. No, it’s not my company. I’m just passing along what I think some my like. :cheers: cueman

ARtraveler
01-19-2021, 11:18 AM
I wear Aerostich pants. AD1. I wear them over sweats, as I want the warmth. In hot weather, I wear khaki, but wear the aerostich if it rains. Best I’ve found. I’ve only been riding 50 years, so I have more to learn. What works for me might not work for you. Try different things. All I know is for the last 300,000 miles or so, my AD1 pants kept me dry and warm. YMMV

Yes, Aerostich is considered the "good stuff." Made in my old home town of Duluth, MN.

MONK
01-19-2021, 12:26 PM
I've got a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 overpants. I wear them over jeans. They've got a removable inner liner that is both waterproof and thermal. The outer layer sheds water pretty well although it's probably not waterPROOF. I rarely wear the inner liner as it's REALLY warm. I ride down into the upper 30s on a regular basis and with these and my normal jeans, I'm comfortable.

AlanSmith7
01-19-2021, 01:55 PM
I've Joe Rocket Ballistic Ultra Pants, I wear them for longer rides.
I also have a Viking's pant I wear them on normal days as well even I wear normal Jeans too.

Motorcycledave
02-09-2021, 12:56 PM
Question about motorcycle pants, not chaps, but actual pants with the knee pads in them, etc. Are they meant to be worn over pants or not with pants at all?
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Or..... you could not wear any pants, just the knee pads

LeftCoast
02-09-2021, 01:23 PM
I've worn both over pants and under armor. In winter here in Calif. where I am it really only gets down to high 30's for the most part and my riding is done is 40's in the winter to 90s+ in the summer. Right now I wear the Bohn under armor pretty much 100% of the time with jeans and long johns if needed. In the summer its the under armor and either jeans or Sedici over pants, pads in or out just depending on comfort.

MONK
02-09-2021, 04:08 PM
or..... You could not wear any pants, just the knee pads

noooooooooo!

Revalden
02-09-2021, 07:41 PM
noooooooooo!

no, no, no, the DUCT TAPE HURTS A LOT when you need to remove the PADS,

askitee
02-09-2021, 10:03 PM
To add to the mix: Because its easier to pick the winning lottery numbers than predict the weather in an hour from now:
- I have a pair of Textile pants for winter which include the pads etc, they are too hot to wear over jeans etc, and are a proper fit.
- I have a pair of MC Kevlar jeans with the appropriate protection for summer use.
- I also have a pair of light colored (light brown) Kevlar chino's that go over either the Textiles or Jeans for when its very hot (38deg c and above) to reduce the heat absorption of the black textiles and Dark Blue jeans, and make life a little comfortable.