PDA

View Full Version : Hindle with a rattle..

Greg H.
08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
I pulled into the parking out at my office this morning, and noticed a different sound. It seems my Hindle exhaust is rattling a bit. Maybe from inside? Not sure yet.
Since, I just arrived after a 28 mile jaunt, I wasn't about to begin playing with it. And, it looks like the hanger bolt is tight, too.

I'm going out shortly to determine if it's not still on tight. But, it sure seems like something came loose inside the Hindle.

patches
08-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Mine did that..After looking around, I found the rivets on the cover closest to your foot had become lose. I put a stop gap in there to make it snug until i get time to replace and revit it back down.

Blinc
08-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Mine did that, it was the rivets.
I don't think they are the easiest of rivets to replace, could be wrong there, but if you search this forum I think Lamonster used JB weld and others have used something else to put under the loose rivet to stop the noise.

Greg H.
08-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Lol! Yep! The loosest rivet is the one on the guard toward the back. That's the main culprit. On the guard at the elbow, those are a bit loose as well.

JB Weld makes sense. I'd rather try that then try to remove a rivet, and install a new one.

Thanks!

swrafey2000
08-31-2009, 12:50 PM
I replaced the rivits on TJSyders heat shields with #8 stainless steel machine screws,Stainless finish washers, and speed nuts that I bought from Home Depot for about 5 bucks.The finish washers look almost identicle to the cicular stock rivits.

bone crusher
08-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Lol! Yep! The loosest rivet is the one on the guard toward the back. That's the main culprit. On the guard at the elbow, those are a bit loose as well.

JB Weld makes sense. I'd rather try that then try to remove a rivet, and install a new one.

Thanks!

It's only heat resistant to 500 degrees...is there another product that can take more heat?

Greg H.
09-01-2009, 09:25 AM
It's only heat resistant to 500 degrees...is there another product that can take more heat?

500 degrees resistance for the heat shield rivets should be okay, don't you think?

bone crusher
09-01-2009, 10:33 AM
500 degrees resistance for the heat shield rivets should be okay, don't you think?

Yeah...I guess so...I know the pipe to the hindle gets over 650 (checked it with my laser heat gun)...but the rivets on the end outside of the pipe...hmmm...well, if someone is already using it and it works, that should be our answer...I haven't checked the heat on the end of the hindle after a long ride...the rattling is rather annoying...and I'd rather stop it sooner so the darn thing doesn't rattle off!

Just Doo Me
09-01-2009, 10:58 AM
I had the same problem and just drilled out the old rivet heads and replaced with new rivets.Made a big difference no more rattle,I just used the proper size regular style rivet.:2thumbs:

bone crusher
09-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I had the same problem and just drilled out the old rivet heads and replaced with new rivets.Made a big difference no more rattle,I just used the proper size regular style rivet.:2thumbs:

Yeah, I'd end up destroying the thing if I did that...might have to ultimately though...