PDA

View Full Version : How to sell a Spyder?

iridenow
01-10-2021, 01:47 PM
If you want to sell a Spyder, or any motorcycle, to an individual, do you let them ride it? How do you know they aren't gone in 60 seconds? How trustworthy would you be?

Haze
01-10-2021, 01:56 PM
Only let them ride if they are experienced with a Spyder, have an MC license and insurance.
Cash upfront from the buyer for you to hold during the test ride until the potential buyer commits to the purchase.

2dogs
01-10-2021, 02:17 PM
If you want to sell a Spyder, or any motorcycle, to an individual, do you let them ride it? How do you know they aren't gone in 60 seconds? How trustworthy would you be?

The long answer, "NO"!

RayBJ
01-10-2021, 03:27 PM
Personally, I would never buy a bike without a test ride. I tried out a 2020 F3 and RT to decide which to buy. I've walked out of a few dealers when looking to buy new because of BS policies like no test ride. My last 4 new machines were bought from dealers that allowed testing. I've sold and bought privately a few times without any issues. The buyer always came in a car or bike and left keys & machine with me for their test ride.

bigbadbrucie
01-10-2021, 03:56 PM
Personally, I would never buy a bike without a test ride. I tried out a 2020 F3 and RT to decide which to buy. I've walked out of a few dealers when looking to buy new because of BS policies like no test ride. My last 4 new machines were bought from dealers that allowed testing. I've sold and bought privately a few times without any issues. The buyer always came in a car or bike and left keys & machine with me for their test ride.
I totally agree. I wouldn’t buy a car or truck without a test drive, so why should the Spyder be any different? No test ride equals NO SALE....PERIOD!

Plarimer
01-10-2021, 03:59 PM
I’ve let guys do test rides for a long time because I buy and sell so many bikes. I always check and keep their drivers license for a motorcycle endorsement and I keep the keys to the car. If they come up without a car, they don’t ride.

ARtraveler
01-10-2021, 04:04 PM
You are going to get answers from both sides on this one. Spyders are a little better in solving the test ride issue, because you can either drive them or you can do a ride along with them.

Willingness to leave their vehicle, keys, cash deposit, or drivers license is a good indicator. Someone coming without a vehicle, not a good thing.

If you get a bad feeling about it, don't let it happen.

Mazo EMS2
01-10-2021, 06:10 PM
I would ask for their drivers license and a credit card as a deposit while they ride. I would also ask about their motorcycle riding experience, and some proof of insurance, and maybe even have a written document signed by the potential buyer in hand stating that they pay for any damage caused during the test ride.

2dogs
01-10-2021, 06:47 PM
I know, it's done all the time. hundreds if not thousands of test rides go without a hitch. However, when you give the keys to your ride to someone else, known to you or not, your liability begins with the first movement of the bike and ends when it's returned. Whatever happens during that time is with your approval. Ask your insurance provider if you're covered when you lend your motorcycle to another person who is not on your policy. Risking your home and your child's college find is not worth that risk.

Papa103
01-10-2021, 07:37 PM
Like others have said come with a car and leave it there for the road test and take a picture of their license. Make sure it has motorcycle endorsement. If you feel uncomfortable about the person or circumstances just don't do it.

canamjhb
01-10-2021, 07:37 PM
If they need to see that the Spyder preforms and rides like it should, just have them hop on the back and take them for a ride. If they want to see if they "like" a Spyder, send them on down the road. Suggest they learn Spyder riding on a dealer demo or rental. I would not put a beginner on my personal bike to see if they can handle it. Most new Spyder riders coming from 2 wheels have a learning curve to become comfortable. IMO, nothing good can come from sending a beginner out alone on your bike to experiment..... Jim

RayBJ
01-10-2021, 07:44 PM
MOST IMPORTANT point I forgot to mention: Don't show the bike at your home. Meet in a public parking lot.

ARtraveler
01-10-2021, 09:08 PM
Back when Spyders first came out they were having a show and tell at a dealer. The news person wanted to take one for a test drive. He crashed it within 50 feet. :yikes:

iridenow
01-10-2021, 10:40 PM
Thanks guys! Lots of good responses here.

AVBIZ
01-11-2021, 09:24 AM
Selling a Spyder/Ryker is unique in that there is a decent chance the prospective buyer has never ridden one so having purchase cash in hand would be my requirement...

K80Shooter
01-11-2021, 02:37 PM
I have a friend that wanted to sell his bike a couple of years ago (I'm not sure how he had it listed). Someone came over riding a bike and wanted to try his out, of course he had to leave his with the key of course to take it on a test ride. The person never came back and the bike he left had been stolen. His bike was found about 80 mile away where again the rider/thief saw another bike on the side of the road for sale and the saga continued but now with this bike. My friend did get his bike back but I think he was very lucky that there was no damage or anything done to it.

Long story short..... be very careful.

Fat Baxter
01-14-2021, 11:20 PM
Lots of good advice. Personally, I would also take a cell phone picture of the buyer and the license plate of the vehicle he/she arrived in.

As for a test ride, I say "no" to Spyder newbies. The machine is so different from anything else, the buyer could easily wind up in a ditch, and my insurance wouldn't cover that. I say bring an experienced Spyder rider along. Makes things more complicated, but I don't want my Spyder trashed.

VStarRider
01-16-2021, 08:15 PM
Whatever you decide, in my opinion, it is only fair to let the prospective buyer to know the rules before they drive out to see it.