PDA

View Full Version : For the Newbies: Mods that Make a Difference

Lowflyingowl
08-27-2009, 11:41 PM
I've got tons of mods done on my Spyder: custom paint, triple play, Corbin seats, Corbin backrests, Corbin fairing, fender tipz, highway pegs, Kewlmetal console w/ GPS and gadget mounts, mirror extensions, 4" riser bar, universal cruise control, XM antenna, Garmin Zumo, Two Bros exhaust (RIP), passenger peg extensions, BRP Can-Am hard bags....I might have missed a few...

Anyway, of all these mods, the ones I'd do over again in a heartbeat are the highway pegs (comfort), cruise control( comfort), riser bar(comfort), passenger peg extensions( comfort for passenger) and the Can Am hard bags( long trip space). I'd replace the stock seat, but might take a look at the new comfort seat with a backrest instead of the Corbin. I'd get a taller windshield, but probably not the Corbin, which is pricey and doesn't seem to work as well for taller riders. Without the fairing, the mirror extensions are out. I've found XM to be almost worthless and the exhaust blew up and was too loud anyway.

As you can see, most of these are comfort-related!

For the newbies, who are wondering which mods might pay off, I thought we might offer our advice on which are our favorite mods and why.

Tom in NM
08-28-2009, 12:49 AM
I would also recommend waiting a month or so - unless you "know" exactly what you want. That way, you can get used to what it is like to ride a Spyder and what you might need. It has taken me 7 months to figure out what I need and what I want.

I would still recomend two slam dunk mods that deliver lots of bang for the buck. You won't see anything different, but they make riding much nicer.

Trunk Spring: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12885&highlight=trunk+spring

Handlebar vibration dampening - BBs: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12095&highlight=handlebar

Easy and under $10, combined.

Adjustable Windshield
If you find you don't tolerate wind and noise well, but still love being on a Spyder, get one of these. The CHAD is probably the most popular, I am sure that will be the #1 pick for both best mod and best windshield for a lot of others on the forum.
Here is the link to NoMagicNeon (ESI): http://www.esicycleproducts.com/windshields.html

For a couple of reasons, I don't think the CHAD will work for me. I am going to get the Madstad RoboBrackets solution: http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.10/.f
This particular product is brand new, but Matt ( Madstad Engineering ) has a fantastic reputation and has turned out high quality products for motorcycles. This option should deliver the style and functionality that I am looking for in an adjustable windshield.

From those 3 mods, the sky ( or your wallet, which ever comes first ) is the limit of what you can do.

Tom

John in PA
08-28-2009, 05:52 AM
For performance/handling, Evoluzione's O2 eliminator (to improve engine performance at low throttle and when cold), and performance sway bar (much better handling with less body roll when cornering) are money VERY well spent.

bjt
08-28-2009, 07:31 AM
A lot of us have detailed mods and our opinions or reviews of them in the My Spyder Mods section.

My Spyder Mods (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)

ataDude
08-28-2009, 12:21 PM
A lot of us have detailed mods and our opinions or reviews of them in the My Spyder Mods section.

My Spyder Mods (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)

I guess I need to start posting there. How do you do it, Brian? :roflblack:

bjt
08-29-2009, 06:29 AM

I guess I need to start posting there. How do you do it, Brian? :roflblack:

From your lack of updates there, I guess you've got your Spyder setup just right and have quit modding it. :thumbup:

BumbleBee
08-29-2009, 07:28 AM
I waited 2 months before adding any mods. I am a 5'5" female.
My first mod was my grips. I changed them to Kuryakyn ISO grips and the Throttle Boss, (no more numbness and tingling). I love them.
I added the 4" risers and mirror extenders yesterday. They make a big difference. To me a big plus. A different feel and how you sit on the spyder with the risers.
Mirror extenders are a big plus also, better viewing and I see different angles now.
Not sure of the next mod, leaning toward the seat.

Smylinacha
08-29-2009, 07:38 AM
First Mod - BRP fog lights - to see better at night and it looks better

2nd Mod - BRP 1 inch riser - to get the handlebars up a bit but it didn't help much.

3rd mod - 2 bros exhaust and the 02 mod - got that to get rid of the tootsie roll look of the stock pipe and it sounds and performs better.

4nd mod - NMN 3 inch risers - total difference in comfort - no more neck and back pain and easier to take turns

5th mod - CHAD windshield - no more beat up feeling - BRP windshields did nothing for me and now I can wear a shorty or no helmet at all when riding. Still get wind on me but my glasses won't blow off now :2thumbs:

6th mod - BRP comfort seat - Looks allot better but I still need breaks when riding - not as comfy as they say - sometimes I still have to ride w/ the airhawk.

All done w/ mods for now

Bersquack
08-29-2009, 08:14 AM
I would not go anywhere without my Hindle and Corbin seat!

BeRight
08-29-2009, 11:09 AM
For safety I highly recommend NMN front mud flap LEDs. Provides great visibility for the cagers. I just use mine as running lights. They are really bright, even in daylight.

irish2themax
08-29-2009, 02:48 PM
1st mod...mirror extensions
2nd mod...HID lights
3rd mod...risers or pullbacks
4th mod...cruise control (unless you don't do any riding as consistent speed)
5th mod...better seat
6th mod...better windshield
7th mod...GPS and cell phone mount

After that it's all pretty much bells and whistles...exhaust, stereo, begs, etc.

XXX 74
08-29-2009, 02:54 PM
mine are here...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13635

SpyderDog65
08-29-2009, 07:01 PM
For safety I highly recommend NMN front mud flap LEDs. Provides great visibility for the cagers. I just use mine as running lights. They are really bright, even in daylight.

I absolutly LOVE my NMN Mudflap Lights those things are sooo sweet u can be seen from way off and they Look really cool to beat I get compliments on them all the time :) and NMN is one of the best companys for buying mods for the spyder goes as far as im concerned. they got quality products and there customer service is the best and just like the say when u order somthing from them like magic it appears on your doorstep very quickly :).....................Michael:clap:

shunkmanitu
08-30-2009, 04:29 AM
At 5'11", 270lbs, 29" inseam, 54" coat size, and 44" pants I question why so many people need bar risers and mirror extensions. I am quite comfortable, relaxed, and can see past my shoulders with the standard position.

It has been since '91 that I have ridden an upright, cruiser, style bike. My two previous machines were UJM and Sport Touring (CB-750M Nighthawk and PC-800 Pacific Coast). The seating position is nearly identical to the PC and I needed no major adjustment, only a total relearn on steering!

I am replacing my little round pegs with the Kury Widow Pegs giving me a larger place to rest my size 12 feet. I do agree with the taller windscreen (June bugs, Love bugs, Bats, and Tobacco Chewers) and with an open face helmet the noise level is much better. Every since a run-in with an MRI machine a few years ago I do not tolerate anything close around my face!

NautiBrit
08-30-2009, 09:02 AM
I've made many comfort mods including seating, risers, bags and pegs, but my favorite by far has to be the sway bar. It transformed the steering and along with the update, adds safety and performance that I use every mile.

bjt
08-31-2009, 08:11 AM
At 5'11", 270lbs, 29" inseam, 54" coat size, and 44" pants I question why so many people need bar risers and mirror extensions. I am quite comfortable, relaxed, and can see past my shoulders with the standard position.

For some, it's not a need but a want. I rode my wife's Spyder one time with the NMN risers and I liked the feel. I wanted to get them even though I didn't need them. I had thought I needed highway pegs but after riding with them for a while, I decided I didn't need them and gave them to my wife. I am perfectly happy with the stock foot position. Every "body" is different and has different comfort needs.

FANG
08-31-2009, 11:02 AM
For me when I rode my :spyder2: 625 mile in 10 hours - I felt I needed to be able to change leg position and needed a throttle lock system to enable me to ease the pressure off my knees (arthritis). I tried stretching my legs out and rested them on the cowlings but when I rode like this it was too much stretch for my 5'9" frame. Prior to the long ryde I had been very comfortable on my :spyder2:. However I plan on making more long trips so s ome modifications became necessary and wanted.

So for me the Kewlmetal Highway Mounts with Widow pegs was a must. The NMN 3" risers make my arm position more comforatabe and at the present time I have them set at 80 degrees - almost max height. I want to ryde with them at this angle for a while and then I may try a little more pull back; but they are comfortable as is. The ISO grips and Trottlemeister are a great plus - it did take a litlle while to adapt to the ISO Grips because I liked the stock grips for feel and the ISO Grips for looks (now I like the feel too). The trottlemeister is so great to be able to take my right hand off the throttle is such a bonus.

Mirror extensions are an absolute necessiity especially if you have the risers - spot mirrors are also a big help. $2.00 at Advanced Auto Parts Store - get the adjustable ones.

I a real happy spyder owner :clap: now I need to be able to get some time off to ryde - or maybe I just need to retire. LOL :roflblack::roflblack:

Tom in NM
08-31-2009, 03:23 PM
For some, it's not a need but a want. I rode my wife's Spyder one time with the NMN risers and I liked the feel. I wanted to get them even though I didn't need them. I had thought I needed highway pegs but after riding with them for a while, I decided I didn't need them and gave them to my wife. I am perfectly happy with the stock foot position. Every "body" is different and has different comfort needs.

:agree:

While I am short (5'7" with a 30" inseam), I didn't think I needed the risers either. But, I found on longer rides I was not setting back far enough on the seat and my pelvis joints were being stretched and would start aching and sometimes the circulation in my legs would be cut down. The risers get me back on the seat and now I can tell I don't need a new seat, highway pegs or a lot of other mods. Handling is very different - it is good, but I miss it taking more "muscle", it is almost too easy.

With the risers, my Spyder's ergonomics totally changed. No pelvis or circulation issues now.

Tom

bone crusher
08-31-2009, 03:44 PM

It has been since '91 that I have ridden an upright, cruiser, style bike. My two previous machines were UJM and Sport Touring (CB-750M Nighthawk and PC-800 Pacific Coast). The seating position is nearly identical to the PC and I needed no major adjustment, only a total relearn on steering!

I am replacing my little round pegs with the Kury Widow Pegs giving me a larger place to rest my size 12 feet. I do agree with the taller windscreen (June bugs, Love bugs, Bats, and Tobacco Chewers) and with an open face helmet the noise level is much better. Every since a run-in with an MRI machine a few years ago I do not tolerate anything close around my face!

How can you see without the mirror extensions? I am 6'1", 235 lbs, and have a 52 inch chest (yeah, all those weight lifting days)...I can't see around my shoulders without them...I just got the ESI risers (3" and love them!) and they help to 'shift' the mirror down to a more narrow part of my body, but even still, to me, they're a must...the mirrors were useless before I extended them.

As far as other mods go, I agree with the trunk spring...I posted pics on that many months ago...cheap as can be and your trunk will continue to work...

I also really love ALL of the NMN/ESI LED packages...I think I have most all of them...the mudflaps are the coolest...

Not a mod. but a serious safety consideration...the Hit Air jacket...nothing beats an airbag if you come off your bike...to me, this is probably the biggest safety addition you can do...we get a discount as well, so worth every penny!

shunkmanitu
08-31-2009, 03:54 PM
:agree:

While I am short (5'7" with a 30" inseam), I didn't think I needed the risers either. Tom

All my heigth, 5'11", with the shorter inseam, is made up in my arms and from the waist up. The size 54 jacket is a TALL. Contrary to what the Wife says, my knucles DO NOT drag if I stand up stright. That is why I have no trouble with the reach to the bars. The Pacific Coast was set up so the mirrors looked back UNDER my armpits! At least these look past my shoulders. If I sit up stright in the Spyder seat all I can see in the mirrors are my arms and love handles! A slightly twisted leg and big feet will benifit from the larger surface of the Kury pegs.

Tom in NM
08-31-2009, 04:23 PM
All my heigth, 5'11", with the shorter inseam, is made up in my arms and from the waist up. The size 54 jacket is a TALL. Contrary to what the Wife says, my knucles DO NOT drag if I stand up stright. That is why I have no trouble with the reach to the bars. The Pacific Coast was set up so the mirrors looked back UNDER my armpits! At least these look past my shoulders. If I sit up stright in the Spyder seat all I can see in the mirrors are my arms and love handles! A slightly twisted leg and big feet will benifit from the larger surface of the Kury pegs.

. . . . I had no problem with the stock mirrors before the risers, or after. But, I am not built at all like you or Bonecrusher - so I can see the mirror extensions being helpful.

And, it sounds like wider pegs are in your future.

Tom

bone crusher
08-31-2009, 04:25 PM
. . . . I had no problem with the stock mirrors before the risers, or after. But, I am not built at all like you or Bonecrusher - so I can see the mirror extensions being helpful.

And, it sounds like wider pegs are in your future.

Tom

In many ways you're lucky! Mirror extensions are one thing, try getting properly fitting dress clothing! :yikes:

Thank goodness for Tommy Bahama!