PDA

View Full Version : Battery removal unnecessarily difficult

NHTundra
01-03-2021, 09:05 PM
Wanted to pull my battery and keep it indoors on a trickle charger for the winter. Even though it's right there under the cowl, the retaining mechanism requires a lot of disassembly just to access.
The shop manual section for removing the battery says "remove the battery". Real helpful.
This could be so simple but I suspect it was designed to be difficult to deter battery theft??:dontknow:

Flamewinger
01-03-2021, 10:43 PM
Don't need to remove it, just plug it into the pigtail that either got installed by the dealer or came with the charger that you need connect to the terminals.

NHTundra
01-04-2021, 09:56 AM
Thank you but as I mentioned I prefer to bring my batteries inside during the winter. I have 2 trickle chargers and 5 batteries to rotate through. I do the same in the summer with snowmobile batteries. Having them inside is so much more convenient to keep tabs on their status.
I was just pointing out that the Ryker battery mounting is the most difficult to access out of any vehicle I have encountered, and that the shop manual is of no help with this.

gkamer
01-04-2021, 11:32 AM
Wanted to pull my battery and keep it indoors on a trickle charger for the winter. Even though it's right there under the cowl, the retaining mechanism requires a lot of disassembly just to access.
The shop manual section for removing the battery says "remove the battery". Real helpful.
This could be so simple but I suspect it was designed to be difficult to deter battery theft??:dontknow:

This guy makes it look pretty easy......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4V_AkPuimQ

NHTundra
01-04-2021, 02:54 PM
You're right in that he makes it look easy. Once you know the trick. Good find.
Both ends of the strap are completely hidden, and the manual is of no help whatsoever.

sKiZo
03-13-2021, 09:28 PM
I was just pointing out that the Ryker battery mounting is the most difficult to access out of any vehicle I have encountered, and that the shop manual is of no help with this.

I'll see your Ryker ... and raise you one Ural ... ;-}

https://youtu.be/sZAyhTak6lY

Those gawdsawful straps are kinda traditional for me - the Yamaha XS650s came with those and I used the same trick to get at the hooks. Easy once you learn the secret.

cueman
03-14-2021, 12:50 PM
If the people who designed things had to actually work on things, there would be easier to work things! :yikes: cueman

gkamer
03-14-2021, 05:23 PM
I'll see your Ryker ... and raise you one Ural ... ;-}

That's insane... I'll fold. :)

canamryder
03-15-2021, 09:35 AM
I mentioned to my mechanic, a while back, how tough it is to unhook the front of the battery strap. He said to unhook the tabs at the upper rearward side of the front cowling. You don't have to loosen the 30 Torx at the bottom front. It works. I also trimmed down some electrical tape and wrapped it around the square battery posts, so the nuts won't be lost. I'll apply dielectric grease when I install the battery (it's still up on a bench in the basement getting trickled).

SportsterDoc
03-20-2021, 06:10 PM
This guy makes it look pretty easy......

Yes, lineman pliers pulling the strap forward (minute 2)