PDA

View Full Version : Thanx for the B-day wish...The new me!

AMTJIM
08-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi guys, I'm a recent victim of an unkown impact causing my near death. I endured 1 week of in a surgery center and have no memory from point of impact to end of week one. Beginning of week 2 was memory re-phase as meds were reduced and I began in a new physical/mental rehab facility. Unfortunately 1/3 of my right knee was destroyed along with my right eye socket and loose bones in my left thumb. Had a nice B-day release, but unfortunately had to skip a scheduled thumb surgery because of sudden blood clots in the "good leg". Nothing like calf and hamstring of fire. Well, no telling how this would have been different on my spyder, had the machine passed the test and not returned. So I retired, unfortunately this mystery caused my retirement from motos. Thanx for the recent B-day wish, the hospital release was pinnacle for me.

bjt
08-27-2009, 08:16 PM
So sorry to hear of this. I'm praying for your complete recovery bro.

Roaddog2
08-27-2009, 08:18 PM
So sorry to hear of this. I'm praying for your complete recovery bro.+1 :ani29:

AMTJIM
08-27-2009, 08:24 PM
An absolutely wonderful wife, family members and co-workers and church members really helped....my wife of course!

ataDude
08-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Wow! Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

Longlegs
08-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Good to hear from you. keep us updated on your progress. We'll keep you in our prayers.

retread
08-27-2009, 10:01 PM
You will be in my prayers, please take care and keep us informed.

john

Kjen
08-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Oh my, hoping all rights itself so you can keep going. Take it you were solo riding if you are the only victim. Scary stuff. Best wishes and having a supporting spouse and family is a definite PLUS.

Bersquack
08-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Holy Cow!! :yikes: Get well soon.......

+1

Dukester
08-28-2009, 06:59 AM
Your in my prayers, take care of yourself and keep us posted on your progress. A loving wife and family and friends will get you though.

DynamoBT
08-28-2009, 07:26 AM
Oh my! I think you're lucky to be alive!

Hope your road back to recovery is a short one. Thank goodness for family!

Lamonster
08-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Just saw this Bro. :yikes: I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you have a full recovery. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Magic Man
08-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Hope you fell better and recover soon.

MM

AMTJIM
08-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanx for the well wishes...because of the "unknown", not sure it would have made a difference for me, but you guys that got a good copy of the Spyder...please stay on 3!

dltang
08-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Brian just showed me this post this morning. This is my first chance to tell you that you and your family are in my prayers for healing and comfort. It looks like you are a very strong individual and that will help. So sorry you have to go thru anything like this. Heal quickly and heal well my friend.
Deb

spydsense
08-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Holy Cow!! :yikes: Get well soon.......

Please mend well and soon.

BumbleBee
08-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Wish you a fast recovery :clap:

Smylinacha
08-28-2009, 08:01 PM
OMG ! I just saw this!

Healing vibes from me to you! Keep us posted on your recovery!

klw
08-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Best Wishes for a speedy recovery
Karen

NancysToy
08-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Jim, I am devastated to learn of this. You have taken a real beating this year, my friend. Add ours to the prayers for the best possible recovery. Touch bas from time to time and tell us how things are going.

AMTJIM
08-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanx again guys! Giving myself the shots to the belly has been intimidating, darn me for discovering the blood clots. Going well, leg starting to feel proper again, glad they decided I was safe from any likely problems of clots breaking free and causing other serious problems.

gazey
08-29-2009, 04:29 AM
Hope all is well bud, wishing you a speedy recovery.
P.S. You might end up with another Spyder after all :joke:

sabunim5
08-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Sympathy and Prayers are headed in your direction from one more source. Celebrate life. :2thumbs:

irish2themax
08-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Holy Cow!! I wish you a speedy recovery. I know you're going to face a lot of PT. I hope it goes well!! Good luck, mate

AMTJIM
09-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanx again Spyderlovers! Moving forward a little, the clots have dissolved, but some pain from the area still lingers. Glad to see the last of the shots have gone away, never got use to jabbing 2 shots/day to the stomach. Hopefully the blood thinner pill is all I will need to continue with until their prescription ends, too. Probably really overworked that area of the "good leg" with impacted fluid, and now it gets a lot of action from standing and motion since the other is imobile. On the good side of the imobile leg, they took x-rays and said it looks great, also removed the stitches in the knee and adjusted the mechanical stops for 50 degrees of exercise motion to work the area in free air only. Glad to see so much leg wrapping go with the stitches being removed, the area no longer needs special covering for showers either.:yes:

DynamoBT
09-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Sounds like you are making progress!!! That's fantastic! Hope you continue to improve!! Thanks for keeping us posted. We're thinking of you.

retread
09-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Good on you! Will keep on praying for your full recovery. Work with the therapists.

john

NancysToy
09-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the update. So great to hear of the progress. Keep us in the loop and we'll continue to keep you in our prayers.

jedd
09-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the update. So great to hear of the progress. Keep us in the loop and we'll continue to keep you in our prayers.
:agree:+1 Forward progress:clap:

AMTJIM
09-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Today is 1 month since the big mystery...and it sank deeper. Some family members have made a visit during this 3 day weekend. While offering to take the kidlets goofy~golfing, my wife and found ourselves with some free time. Unfortunately the local patrol office related to Mt Lemmon was closed, so we went up looking over mile 16, although "about mile 16.5" was verbally recited to my wife. A very docile section of road especially compared to all I had already ridden up. What happened...really started to repeat itself in my head over and over again, to the point I said let's just go. Felt very empty on the way home.

ataDude
09-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Today is 1 month since the big mystery...and it sank deeper. Some family members have made a visit during this 3 day weekend. While offering to take the kidlets goofy~golfing, my wife and found ourselves with some free time. Unfortunately the local patrol office related to Mt Lemmon was closed, so we went up looking over mile 16, although "about mile 16.5" was verbally recited to my wife. A very docile section of road especially compared to all I had already ridden up. What happened...really started to repeat itself in my head over and over again, to the point I said let's just go. Felt very empty on the way home.

Eventually, it will come to you... mine did. However, I wouldn't push it at all... you may not want to remember what happened.

My earliest memory of the 1987 knee thingy was flying through the air yelling, "Oh *&^%, this is gonna hurt!". The rest went downhill from there.

Get feeling better, Jim!

Smylinacha
09-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeppers - move forward and don't look back - you don't need to remember any of it. You are still here in this world for a reason - enjoy it! No need to wonder what happened. Focus on all the new days ahead:2thumbs:

NancysToy
09-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Try not to let it worry you. I remember before, and some of the aftermath, but a lot of holes remain. That's often the way the brain works. All you can do is move on, and try to regain as much function as you can. Frankly, I am thankful just to be alive.

NewRider
09-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Yo, dude...bad scene. Keep working on making progress back to the norm...the urge to ride your Spyder will return soon enough. Don't push it; let everything progress at its own pace. You'll know when you're ready.:f_spider:

AMTJIM
09-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Any ideas? This appeared to be an impact with immediate stop. We rework the accident occasionally based on the "accident report" until we have time to get some copies of the pics on scene. We include a few of the ideas mentioned by those I rode with and others that came up after the accident. Some were in contact with my wife. Based on the condition of my riding gear, I didn't slide. No scratch marks on the jacket, small scuff on my right hand glove/left glove still looks new. No scatches on the jeans, left pant leg looks good/right has knee opened w/blood...other holes in the right leg. Boots look fine, they cut the laces even though they were side zip, going to relace the them for use! Back pack also going to be reused, no signs of impact other than a shattered plastic drink bottle lid. Cell phone looks perfect. Helmet not busted, has paint chunks in some little airvent damage...What the heck crushed my eye, visor only has a few scratches. More damage to riding gear caused by rescue cutting it off my body. Really got lucky, a few people tried to remove my helmet...luckily some one stopped them. The helmet wasn't cut off with a cutting wheel either...guess rescue felt safe removing it.

AMTJIM
09-10-2009, 05:55 PM
a few pics

bjt
09-10-2009, 05:55 PM
So you hit a mysterious object that no one can account for now? Any idea of how long it was from the time of the accident to the time you were first found?

AMTJIM
09-10-2009, 05:58 PM
pics

AMTJIM
09-10-2009, 06:05 PM
few more

AMTJIM
09-10-2009, 06:07 PM
So you hit a mysterious object that no one can account for now? Any idea of how long it was from the time of the accident to the time you were first found? Fairly quick, some heard it happen. We were on our way up the mountain to visit the Cookie Cabin...so much for big fresh cookies.

Arana
09-10-2009, 06:30 PM
The bottom line is you are alive and still with family. Keep the recovery going and all will come.

Happy recovery. Stay on three. :clap:

mike3069
09-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Jim, my prayers and best wishes go out to you. Also, I'd like to be the first to welcome you to the "Survivors Club". :D

NewRider
09-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Based upon your photos...I would say you were broadsided by a good-sized animal, which sent you and your bike tumbling. I'm no expert; strictly based upon personal knowledge of accidents in my home state of Oregon.

sabunim5
09-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Sheer speculation. Deer ?

bjt
09-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I would think that if an animal sideswiped Jim or he hit an animal, there would have been at least some blood and fur on the bike and / or on the road. A similar possibilty may be that Jim swerved to avoid an animal and lost control.

If there's no evidence of a collision with another object, it has to be either operator induced or a mechanical malfunction of the bike (unless we want to speculate about UFOs or secret government machines).

Smylinacha
09-11-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm thinking a deer too - and that is how his eye got all messed up - it's antler got him

Longlegs
09-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Did your helmet stay on during the crash? I don't see how you got an eye crushed like that w/ a full face helmet on.

AMTJIM
09-14-2009, 11:15 PM
This was new to me this weekend

AMTJIM
09-14-2009, 11:18 PM
few more

DynamoBT
09-15-2009, 08:15 AM
May be your memory comes back. Maybe you don't want it to. In either case, it looks like your Guardian Angel was on duty that day.

Hope your recovery continues!!

AMTJIM
09-15-2009, 12:51 PM
I think my wife and I have decided to finish out with just a conversation over the phone with one of the fellow riders at the scene. Guess I had no response with them for over a minute, they thought I was passing away. While those last pics are small, I have a link to full size images...Seeing them has made better sense of the final resting spot of everything much better than the police report. However, what in the world caused me to not only leave my lane, but use the entire space of that shoulder and hit that guard rail and then the rock face is going to remain unsolved for now. What's done is done, I survived and am healing nicely.

Smylinacha
09-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Sometimes we just gotta stop questioning it and be thankful we're still here:thumbup: I'm glad you're still here!:2thumbs:

Tom in NM
09-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Surviving is tough, giving up is easy.

Any contact with the unknown object of doom that you survive is truly a gift.

I am glad you are making progress, please add my thoughts and prayers to all the others for your heroic efforts and new life.

Tom

AMTJIM
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Week 8 is rolling by, had my second appointment with the knee surgeon since the surgery and HA HAAAAAAAA...once again, suprised another. Down time for now has been reduced 2 weeks...possibly sooner. They were suprised to learn I have done this all myself, recent labor changes lost my specified physical therapy appointments. The left hand is still on hold for it's thumb surgery and the torn ligaments between the index and middle finger seem to be healing. The fingers being taped together seemed to really help that. The hairline in the right seems to be very near healing. Even though the equipment isn't for body building, the boost in calories, nutrition seems to finally be paying off. The amount of weight and strength lost over that short period has been tough to regain. I can't believe how much was lost so quickly. I will be really happy once the blood thinners prescription is finally over, I think they may be causing part of this.:2thumbs:

DynamoBT
09-30-2009, 06:22 PM
You are clearly highly motivated. A person with less motivation with regular physical therapy might not have done as well as you are doing. Good for you!!:clap:

I hope your good progress continues. You deserve a major pat on the back for working so hard to regain as much function as possible!!

Rehab isn't for the weak of heart or spirit. I'm so glad you feel good enough to be working so hard towards your recovery!! Hope you continue to surprise your doctors with how well you are doing! :bowdown:

Smylinacha
09-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Keep us posted Jim! Feel better, get plenty of rest!

NancysToy
09-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Week 8 is rolling by, had my second appointment with the knee surgeon since the surgery and HA HAAAAAAAA...once again, suprised another. Down time for now has been reduced 2 weeks...possibly sooner. They were suprised to learn I have done this all myself, recent labor changes lost my specified physical therapy appointments. The left hand is still on hold for it's thumb surgery and the torn ligaments between the index and middle finger seem to be healing. The fingers being taped together seemed to really help that. The hairline in the right seems to be very near healing. Even though the equipment isn't for body building, the boost in calories, nutrition seems to finally be paying off. The amount of weight and strength lost over that short period has been tough to regain. I can't believe how much was lost so quickly. I will be really happy once the blood thinners prescription is finally over, I think they may be causing part of this.:2thumbs:
You are doing great, keep up the good work!!! Those tibeal plateau fractures are rough. My wife suffered one over four years ago. Like you, she worked her backside off and surprised the doctors, who said she might not even walk again. Keep amazing them!!! I agree that the blood thinners take a toll. Narcotics, too. The worst thing is actually just the injury and the surgery. Even with a simple knee replacement and pre-conditioning, I dropped several inches of muscle, and am only half way back to normal after five weeks of hard PT plus several exercise sessions a day on my own. Like you said, amazing how much is lost so quickly. You will come back! Set high goals, work hard, and don't get discouraged. These things take more time than we ever realize. :2thumbs::thumbup::2thumbs::thumbup::2thumbs:

ataDude
09-30-2009, 09:18 PM

Good for you, Jim... keep up the good/hard work.

I'll show you mine since you showed me yours:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=19&pictureid=435

AMTJIM
12-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Well, it's not "officially" close to return to work time, but I have been ready for weeks now. I am in doctor hiatus, I think they really want me home a full 6 months...I have been rubbing the same 2 pennies together for so long, I have 2 slivers of razor thin copper and 3rd degree burns on my thumb and finger. After 16 weeks of physical therapy 2~3 times a day while on blood thinners for a clot, my hand is so repaired...no surgery is required.
All in all, the shattered eye socket that was repaired healed great and with 20/20 vision despite the eye being diagnosed as blind. The subdural hematoma and contusion are healed and confirmed via testing. The left hand along with left and right wrists are excellent. The left shoulder and pectoral work great. My leg still needs some mass and explosive movement, but I'm ready!!!

NancysToy
12-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Well, it's not "officially" close to return to work time, but I have been ready for weeks now. I am in doctor hiatus, I think they really want me home a full 6 months...I have been rubbing the same 2 pennies together for so long, I have 2 slivers of razor thin copper and 3rd degree burns on my thumb and finger. After 16 weeks of physical therapy 2~3 times a day while on blood thinners for a clot, my hand is so repaired...no surgery is required.
All in all, the shattered eye socket that was repaired healed great and with 20/20 vision despite the eye being diagnosed as blind. The subdural hematoma and contusion are healed and confirmed via testing. The left hand along with left and right wrists are excellent. The left shoulder and pectoral work great. My leg still needs some mass and explosive movement, but I'm ready!!!
Jim, That is great news! You obviously worked hard and still have a great attitude. It must have helped tremendously. Thanks so much for keeping us informed. Best wishes on your return to work...whenever the doctors say "Go!" :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Dukester
12-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Heal up, and God be with you. You're lucky to have such wonderful people in your life. What a wonderful wife. Wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

ataDude
12-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Glad to hear you're doing better, Jim!

sabunim5
12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Jim, That is great news! You obviously worked hard and still have a great attitude. It must have helped tremendously. Thanks so much for keeping us informed. Best wishes on your return to work...whenever the doctors say "Go!" :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

+1:congrats: :clap:

Smylinacha
12-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Very happy to hear that you are healing up just fine!:2thumbs:

DynamoBT
12-11-2009, 03:44 PM
So happy for you good recovery!!! You must have busted your butt in PT! Good for you!

vt228
12-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanx again Spyderlovers! Moving forward a little, the clots have dissolved, but some pain from the area still lingers. Glad to see the last of the shots have gone away, never got use to jabbing 2 shots/day to the stomach. Hopefully the blood thinner pill is all I will need to continue with until their prescription ends, too. Probably really overworked that area of the "good leg" with impacted fluid, and now it gets a lot of action from standing and motion since the other is imobile. On the good side of the imobile leg, they took x-rays and said it looks great, also removed the stitches in the knee and adjusted the mechanical stops for 50 degrees of exercise motion to work the area in free air only. Glad to see so much leg wrapping go with the stitches being removed, the area no longer needs special covering for showers either.:yes:

Hope you fell better and recover soon.we all miss you friends always Don

bjt
12-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Heal up, and God be with you. You're lucky to have such wonderful people in your life. What a wonderful wife. Wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

+1

SpyderWolf
12-11-2009, 08:12 PM

:agree: Very well said. You have definitely come a long way.

retread
12-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Good news, glad you're getting better.

john

AMTJIM
12-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Thanx guys, I wish I had done something of great value with all this effort. I wish I had accomplished some monumentous event, but all it has been is just me repairing a body I destroyed. I'm lucky if it's considered 90% refurbished, I doubt I'll be walking the stage of Barrett-Jackson.:D
Man do I miss riding, the thought of not riding ever again by demanded request of family tastes terrible...especially since I don't even know what caused the accident(aside from my choice to ride 23 years ago). It's like I'm experiencing post traumatic amnesia, I don't even care what I have just gone through...I'm ready to risk it all again.

SpyderWolf
12-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Never say never again. There are a number of enabled ryders on this forum, and some of them like SethO are pushing it to the limit everyday with ryding in the snow and all. Perhaps as you continue to heal and the family has more time to process all of the events things will begin to change and you could look into getting a Spyder. You have to keep your hopes up somehow. :)

AMTJIM
12-12-2009, 11:05 PM
I tell you what, after looking at car prices today:gaah:...I told my wife I'd buy extra life insurance if she would drop me off at the motorcycle dealership. I'm ready to throw caution in the wind, go against my word and play some russian roulette with the family. Compromise...not 2 wheels they say, not 4 wheels I say...3 wheels!!! Time to try a second spyder and go 2010 SM5!:yes:

SpyderWolf
12-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Sounds like the beginning of a plan to me.

I wish you the best with whichever way you decide to go.

Gimpy Girl
12-16-2009, 10:37 AM
You've come amazingly far in such a short time! I also had an accident this summer and have the same hardware in my left leg as you. I can understand the pain of PT you've gone through :yikes:

Hang in there, you've done an amazing job of of getting through the worst of it! Prayers are with you & just know you aren't in it alone~ 3 wheels does sound good, hope you find the right :spyder2: for you! Best of luck going back to work soon!!

Gimpy Girl

AMTJIM
12-17-2009, 12:42 AM
God be with you too! Happy healing.

AMTJIM
12-23-2009, 08:08 PM
- Then Santa said Dr. Truchan will bring my Christmas gift to you - And by Christmas Eve you'll be working just like you were brand new - Then Dr. Truchan repaired my Knee so each time that it swayed - The Knee that couldn't swing well it was ready for an 8 hour day-
:ohyea::clap::yes:Released for work today:yes::clap::ohyea:
*0 Restrictions*

SpyderWolf
12-23-2009, 08:11 PM
:congrats: and a very Merry Christmas to you!

Now, just don't work too hard. ;)

NancysToy
12-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Merry Christmas, Jim. Great news!

retread
12-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Merry Christmas, best gift ever!!

john

DynamoBT
12-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Great news, Jim!! You have come a very long way in a relatively short time. A testament to your hard work!!

AMTJIM
01-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Happy New Year y'all
Well...instead of a day or so, I had to wait a full week for the results of a drug test required by the FAA in regards to the length of my absense. WHaaaat...nobody wants to hang around during the Christmas season and test samples??? Anyways...I'M BAAAAAAAACK. December 31st was my first day back to work and what a great New Years celebration in my personal opinion. I can't believe how fast that 8 hours went, really shows what an effect of boredom 24 hrs a day at home can cause. It seems like Monday will be my new Friday and I'll be having a 5 day work weekend to party. Feels so great to be back. While I do believe the Bibles verse that "to die is to gain"...it was not yet my time. While I thank God he escorted me through this whole trial, I really thank him for the condition in which I was spared. Compared to the initial diagnosis, I could have been nothing but a medical burden to family. After this, I don't know how I will be able to stand retirement, but that's a long ways off...so who knows. For now I will jump, run and play with the kids, be happy at work and enjoy this wonderful world God has given us and look forward for what he has next for us.
Happy New Year again to all.

dltang
01-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Happy New Year y'all
Well...instead of a day or so, I had to wait a full week for the results of a drug test required by the FAA in regards to the length of my absense. WHaaaat...nobody wants to hang around during the Christmas season and test samples??? Anyways...I'M BAAAAAAAACK. December 31st was my first day back to work and what a great New Years celebration in my personal opinion. I can't believe how fast that 8 hours went, really shows what an effect of boredom 24 hrs a day at home can cause. It seems like Monday will be my new Friday and I'll be having a 5 day work weekend to party. Feels so great to be back. While I do believe the Bibles verse that "to die is to gain"...it was not yet my time. While I thank God he escorted me through this whole trial, I really thank him for the condition in which I was spared. Compared to the initial diagnosis, I could have been nothing but a medical burden to family. After this, I don't know how I will be able to stand retirement, but that's a long ways off...so who knows. For now I will jump, run and play with the kids, be happy at work and enjoy this wonderful world God has given us and look forward for what he has next for us.
Happy New Year again to all.

Happy New Year to you as well. It sounds like you are doing so much better and things went well for you. Here is a verse for you Jer 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. That just seems so appropriate after what you wrote. Live well and don't worry about retirement just yet.

SpyderWolf
01-05-2010, 09:34 PM
A very happy new year to you as well, and I hope you continue to enjoy every minute that this life brings you. I wish you the best for continued healing and success with your future.

AMTJIM
01-08-2010, 10:29 PM
This actually kind of hurt...It's time to get a vehicle of some sort. Although I have been looking at autotrader and such, I happened to look at cyctrader for fun...something I haven't done in a while. I really hate what happened and miss riding. Although I absolutley miss my Spyder and wish it didn't need ot be lemon lawed...I love sport v-twins and really loved the TL1000S that replaced it. Why did this pop up on the front page of cycletrader.
http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2001-SUZUKI-TL1000S-96270718

SpyderWolf
01-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Wow, I am sure that is a very tough test for you.

AMTJIM
01-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Man did I make a mistake today. I received a little info from a friend whose spouse works at Tucson Harley/Buell. Buell is closing up, they will be making race only...no road bikes. They have the remaining Buell 1125CR @ 6999.00. I called my wife and dad to see how firm they were on me no longer riding. I feel terrible after the response.

NancysToy
01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Man did I make a mistake today. I received a little info from a friend whose spouse works at Tucson Harley/Buell. Buell is closing up, they will be making race only...no road bikes. They have the remaining Buell 1125CR @ 6999.00. I called my wife and dad to see how firm they were on me no longer riding. I feel terrible after the response.
Sorry, Jim. Mybe they just don't heal as quickly as you do...LOL. Give them some time, maybe eventually they will come around. I know how tough it is for you. When I had to finally give up my competition driver's license due to health issues, I couldn't stand to go near a race track or race vehicle for several years. Made me way too nuts. Sooner or later things seem to work themselves out, one way or another. Hang in there, bro, and keep hoping.

SpyderWolf
01-09-2010, 06:43 PM
That bad huh? I hope they did not use the words crazy in any of it. It is in your blood and cannot be helped. Have you talked to them about the Spyder at all? Perhaps that would get a different response. :dontknow:

AMTJIM
01-09-2010, 10:24 PM
No, it was much worse than. The words were civil, but it's hard to understand a conversation when the other members are in tears. I apologized and continued to the auto dealers, which is where I was suppose to be going. I wasted the day, I'm just not motivated and the salesmen could tell. I can't tell if I was being ridiculous in my offers to some of the vehicles I was looking at or not. They just said, have a nice day.

Smylinacha
01-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Wow, sounds like the emotional stuff is tough to go through as well as all the physical stuff. I am very happy that you pulled through everything and your determination seemed to heal ya pretty dam quick!

Well, I used to say to HDX, I AM NOT A BIKER CHICK. I would say that over and over and over again. Once we moved to our other house (which we have since sold), I never got on my two wheels again. I loved to ride but I was always burdened w/ the slow speed stuff and after a while with my neck problem and arms going numb I decided to pack it all in. Never had an accident on two wheels but I did drop it a couple of times - stupid stuff but still, scared the cr@p out of me and took my confidence away. Didn't say much to anyone that I was "done" but it was obvious w/ the thing sitting in the garage and not going anywhere. Plus we lived on a cliff basically and that terrified me getting the Harley down the steep windy hill after not being ridden for a long time.

Then along came the Spyder who sat down beside her - I'll tell ya, I missed riding so much. And when this came along it got me going again. Before the Spyder while my Harley sat in the garage, I would ride passenger w/ HDX on his Harley - I still do that sometimes now only because it is fun to ride w/ HDX and I get to not have to concentrate and relax once in a while.

Ryding is all I think about when the nice weather comes. It's all I think about with the snow outside - that is why I am on here. Just wanna ryde. So I guess I got the biker in me afterall and I spent quite a long time "stuffing it" and trying to talk myself out of it.

I do understand how your family members feel. I watched my mom go down on a bike - not a huge bike but she got banged up pretty good. I was the one who had to ride it back home. Jumped off the back of my dad's bike, put her on the back and I took her bike over. All she did was slide on sand - not much harm to the bike but lots of harm to her face and arms (we never wore helmets back then). Now I never lost my love for riding but when she found out I was getting my mc license, well she wasn't too happy. BUT once she found out after a few years that I am now on the Spyder she is totally ok with it.

Spyder is an awsome concept, and hopefully they will be able to fix the bugs it has. I am capable of emergency situations (learned in mc school) and on my old bikes so I feel confident I can handle things. I may get the sh*t scared out of me but I do think I have a chance at surviving something with what I was taught.

Boy, I am rambling. Sorry. I think maybe a compromise for you might be cool. I know you were looking at that bike in Cycle Trader but I can also see why it freaked out your family. Maybe keep workin' on them w/ the Spyder concept. You can have just as much fun on them as you can on two wheels.

:2thumbs:

AMTJIM
01-10-2010, 09:36 AM
I'd love another spyder, but I just don't trust the whole Can-Am thing. With all the shops closing or cutting them from the product inventory, I don't want a machine that can't be repaired. The ride now franchise is still considering releasing them as well. It's hard enough let alone the future possibilty of having to go 500~1000 miles to find a Cam-Am repair? Creating a software that's only available to it's dealers that's REQUIRED to perform maintenance and there's no other options out there for owners to purchase to perform the maintenance. No bypass unit to get the machine home until you can make it to a repair.
No thanx, I'll watch & learn...wait & see...maybe one day.

Smylinacha
01-10-2010, 10:01 AM
What about another trike - Goldwing? The new Harley one? Or a URAL - those ARE SO COOL!!!!!!

I'd love another spyder, but I just don't trust the whole Can-Am thing. With all the shops closing or cutting them from the product inventory, I don't want a machine that can't be repaired. The ride now franchise is still considering releasing them as well. It's hard enough let alone the future possibilty of having to go 500~1000 miles to find a Cam-Am repair? Creating a software that's only available to it's dealers that's REQUIRED to perform maintenance and there's no other options out there for owners to purchase to perform the maintenance. No bypass unit to get the machine home until you can make it to a repair.
No thanx, I'll watch & learn...wait & see...maybe one day.