PDA

View Full Version : Which of these 2 windshield heights for my 2020 Spyder F3?

k1hog
12-28-2020, 01:16 PM
I am 6'2" with a 2020 Spyder F3. My last motorcycle was a Harley Ultra, full fairing and windshield. I have only put a few miles on the Spyder. Even a speeds of 45 or so, the ride seems to be very windy compared to the Harley. I am looking at the below windshields. Which on would give some relief from the wind. The Spyder is very cool looking and I don't want to add something that looks like, well you know.

Your thoughts and experiences?

Blue Ridge Windshield, 219400746, 21.25" tall. $409.99
Route 129 Windshield, 219400747, 15.5" tall. $349.99

Thanks

Johnnie

MONK
12-28-2020, 02:08 PM
I don't have an F3 but those seem like some pretty pricey windscreens. Have you seen if F4 Customs has anything that might work for you? They're a site sponser and put out what's probably the best windscreen anywhere (I have one on my RT).

Piratezz
12-28-2020, 02:11 PM
I Have the blue ridge, and I am 1.73 (centimeters, that is), and thats doing a good job for me.

fireplug98
12-28-2020, 05:00 PM
F4 for sure !! I love mine !!

MNBK
12-28-2020, 06:34 PM
I have a 25 inch F4 windshield on my F3T. I'm 6'2" and love it. A windshield is subjective just like seats are.

arachnyd
12-28-2020, 07:48 PM
F4 customs here too. Light tint.
They are polycarbonate, not acrylic.

Top shelf product

ba

Ex-Rocket
12-28-2020, 07:48 PM
Don't overlook the Madstag windscreen as they are adjustable. I have one on my F3 Limited and really like it.

blacklightning
12-29-2020, 09:15 AM
I have no experience with the F3 windshield, but keep in mind that most of the people here stating how they love the F4 are riding a F3T. The windshield for the F3T will not work on the F3 or F3S. I would do a little search on ebay and see what there is out there. You will run across more and better priced options than what you are getting here. Good luck.

Bob204bc
12-29-2020, 01:36 PM
As others have stated I would recommend the F4 windshield with the side wings option.

You are going to have a different wind experience since you are used to the Harley Ultra which places the rider very close to the windshield.

RICZ
12-29-2020, 01:54 PM
My go-to windshield maker is 7Jurock. The are easy to work with - even made a custom to my specs. I have a 16" (measured top to bottom along the w/s centerline) and an 18" that is 9" wider than the brackets, yet I can still use them. The second one is the custom order. You can get any height you desire. The 16" cost $140 shipped and the custom was $160 shipped. Whatever you buy, get the flip, it works wonders.

186859 The 16" windshield.

186860 The !8" w/s - note that the stock brackets are utilized. Sorry it's upside down - don't know how to fix that.

k1hog
12-30-2020, 01:03 PM
I should have been more clear with the post, as I was looking for information on the difference or affect of the height between the two below windshield heights?

Piratezz
12-30-2020, 03:00 PM
Route 129, is imho, only for looks, no actual wind deflection, as i stated earlier, blue ridge works for me, and I live in the nethelands, this country is so flat, that it's always windy

Sarge707
12-30-2020, 09:46 PM
I swear by my blue ridge with MRA touring screen on top. Blue ridge is Very wide at the bottom and the MRA touring throws the air well above my head so the ride is quite calm and the view is excellent because the MRA tosses the air over your head.

Peter Aawen
12-30-2020, 11:27 PM
I should have been more clear with the post, as I was looking for information on the difference or affect of the height between the two below windshield heights?

Hey guys, I don't think he's actually looking for your choice or preference of windshield BRAND per se; I rather think that the OP here, k1hog, is after advice on the 2 specific windshields he referred to and impact of THEIR respective HEIGHTS!! :rolleyes:

I could be wrong I guess (it does happen - albeit only occasionally! :p ) but then those ARE the bits he highlighted in post #11 & what he referred to where I've added bolding emphasis in the quote above.... :dontknow:

Just Sayin' :thumbup:

Mikey
12-31-2020, 06:43 AM
I am 6'2" with a 2020 Spyder F3. My last motorcycle was a Harley Ultra, full fairing and windshield. I have only put a few miles on the Spyder. Even a speeds of 45 or so, the ride seems to be very windy compared to the Harley. I am looking at the below windshields. Which on would give some relief from the wind. The Spyder is very cool looking and I don't want to add something that looks like, well you know.

Thanks

Johnnie

I really think he's looking for THOUGHTS AND EXPERIENCES!! My thoughts are that if I sit on the seat of my bike and look at what I have for a windshield and want more protection I would think what would give that to me, higher, lower, wider, what ever, and get it! And where the rubber hit's the road is, he's the only one that can make that dissension, right:dontknow::cheers:

k1hog
12-31-2020, 08:18 AM
Peter Aawen, you hit the nail on the head.

Thanks

troop
12-31-2020, 09:18 AM
I'm 6'2". Check out Madstad windshields. Up/down/fore/aft adjustment. I have a 14" dark gray for every day and a 22" light tint for traveling. They don't look like a big sail when installed, keeping the sporty appearance.
https://madstad.com/collections/can-am/products/can-am-spyder-f3

vario
12-31-2020, 10:01 AM
I would sit on the bike like shown in the F4 product video and measure up to see where the w/s will actually come to on the bike, and your eye level. Then you may have a better idea of what to expect. Also, on my F3L, i went high enough were it helped with wind, but, i did not want to have to look through it all the time, so it may be a little shorter than what i need for a completely wind free ride. If you do not mind looking through it all the time, go higher. The bike does not look as sporty with the higher w/s. YMMV

blacklightning
12-31-2020, 11:05 AM
You don't mention if you have a F3(S) or T/LTD. Check out Madstad windshields. Up/down/fore/aft adjustment. I have a 14" dark gray for every day and a 22" light tint for traveling..
https://madstad.com/collections/can-am/products/can-am-spyder-f3-t-ltd
https://madstad.com/collections/can-am/products/can-am-spyder-f3
With the 2 choices that he posted, he has either a F3 or F3S. The 2 that he questioned will not fit on a F3T or a F3 Limited. I think that is what a lot of the posters have not taken into consideration, they made suggestions that will not even fit on his bike. At least you gave him a good option for each situation. Good advice.:2thumbs:

Peteoz
12-31-2020, 03:56 PM

Thanks

Johnnie

Johnnie,
After reading yours and other posts, there is some confusion here. To help remove confusion, can you please post your F3 model?

Also, you really do not want other people’s advice on how those two models work for THEM, as everyone has different length inseams and their height above the seat can vary greatly. On too of that, everyone has different thresholds for buffeting and wind.

The lower the screen, the better the look on the F3, but by the same token, the lower the screen, the more wind you will get.

Sit on your F3 with a spirit level (maybe on a long board if the level is only short) resting on top of whatever screen you have, and see where the top of the screen sits in relation to your body. To eliminate most buffeting (but still get some air into the top of your helmet), the top of the screen needs to be around level with your top lip. Any lower and you will get head buffeting at the very least.
If buffeting doesn’t bother you, then go for the lowest screen possible, as that looks good on the F3. Hopefully that give you an idea where to start.....

Pete

fatboy
12-31-2020, 04:02 PM
i have the 19 freedom from lamonster just right

Peteoz
12-31-2020, 05:12 PM
i have the 19 freedom from lamonster just right

That’s great to hear, Fatboy, but how tall are you, how long is your inseam, how much wind do you get, what model F3 do you ride ?

Pete

k1hog
12-31-2020, 06:15 PM
2020 F3 Base. The cheapest.

campermac
12-31-2020, 09:50 PM
On my 2020 F3 Limited I have the 25" F4 Customs but on my 2021 F3S I went with the Madstad and like it as much as the F4 on the F3L

fatboy
01-01-2021, 10:05 AM
well op was talking about f 3 im 5 11 34 in just enough

juscuz
01-01-2021, 11:05 AM
Before I actually knew what I wanted/needed, went the Blue Ridge route on my F3s, WRONG. Then I tried the 28" F4 Customs, workable but changed to the 32" F4 Customs. like looking thru my windshield at 6'1 especially after a nice gouge in my helmet from a rock hit when I had the blue ridge. Each to his own I guess.

juscuz
01-01-2021, 11:12 AM
Before I actually knew what I wanted/needed, went the Blue Ridge route on my F3s, WRONG. Then I tried the 28" F4 Customs, workable but changed to the 32" F4 Customs. like looking thru my windshield at 6'1 especially after a nice gouge in my helmet from a rock hit when I had the blue ridge. Each to his own I guess.

justsmile0808
01-01-2021, 04:13 PM

Thanks

Johnnie

Johnnie - go to Lamont's website - http://www.lamonstergarage.com/ . He has several heights of Freedom Shield's F3 windscreens in stock, with several different tint options - and far less costly than OEM (leaving you with much needed cash to do other mods). I've had two Freedom screens and absolutely love them!! http://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-am-spyder-f3-t-ltd-freedom-windshield-lamonster/

I went with the 15" light grey tint (I am 5'2"). I am thinking at your height, you would need the 19". However, there are clear directions there to help you decide which height is right for you.

RICZ
01-01-2021, 05:57 PM
To determine the increased windshield height needed, I tape or clamp (rubber tipped of course) a piece of cardboard to the top of the existing w/s and go riding. During the ride, I raise or lower the cardboard until I have the height I want the new w/s to be and note that measurement.
For my last w/s, I didn't do that as we were in a long rainy period (still are) so I did that in the garage sitting on the bike. That was the wrong thing to do because when the new w/s arrived, it was too short by a couple inches. Fortunately, the flip saved the day and now I have a w/s I can well see over and with the wind protection of a much taller one.
There's a saying for that; Some things happen for a reason.

troop
01-02-2021, 10:20 AM
F3's are difficult to determine height, as the windshield mfr's use different mounts, making windshield lengths harder to determine. Most mfr's will give a recommended shield based on rider's height. That's why I like my Madstad's. They are adjustable up/down/fore/aft by a few inches. Super easy to adjust the angle with two knobs. Lower/angle back on hot days and raise/angle up in the rain. Win/win.

Peteoz
01-02-2021, 04:52 PM
F3's are difficult to determine height, as the windshield mfr's use different mounts, making windshield lengths harder to determine. Most mfr's will give a recommended shield based on rider's height. That's why I like my Madstad's. They are adjustable up/down/fore/aft by a few inches. Super easy to adjust the angle with two knobs. Lower/angle back on hot days and raise/angle up in the rain. Win/win.

Yeah, that’s why I have mounted my F4 screen (it has a shape that suits me), on my Madstad screen brackets, troop. Having that adjustability where you can lower the screen and lay it back, but sit it up on long/raining trips is a huge plus indeed.

Pete

k1hog
01-03-2021, 08:08 AM
Thanks all for the input.

I have decided to go with the Blue Ridge due to the height of the windshield.

Johnnie

Peteoz
01-03-2021, 03:45 PM
Thanks all for the input.
I have decided to go with the Blue Ridge due to the height of the windshield.
Johnnie

Great to hear, Johnnie.....hope it works well for you :thumbup:

Pete

stillnjeve
01-06-2022, 08:52 PM
Hi, I am just on 180cm (5'11") and I have the Blue Ridge on my recently purchased 2017 F3S. I would gladly give it to you and $100 AUS for your first therapy session. It has the innate ability to vibrate one's head so much that you can't see correctly or hear your usually crystal clear Bluetooth music. It is the worst designed piece of crap and I cannot replace it quick enough. I tried putting on some of those lovely attachments to increase the height but I could not find one big enough. I will be replacing mine with something taller for touring riding during the beautiful Aussie winter :-) and will get a small one to face the breeze and cool down during the scorching Aussie summer. Stay away from the blue ridge as everyone I speak to who has had one (note had, not has) hated it with a passion.

If you have a mate who is too poor to replace his/hers/theirs, see if they will let you have a test ride. I did that with a mate's bigger screen and I love it. I will likely get the same screen.

Good luck with your screen upgrade.

Previously owned a 2015 RTS for 4 yrs with an upgraded F4 28" screen to block the breeze from Big Aussie trucks on our crap single-lane highways :-)

Peteoz
01-07-2022, 12:07 AM
Stillnjeve, I nearly had a great offer for you until I realised you were riding an “s”. I had a Madstad on my 16 F3-L because the original Blueridge did the same to me as it did to you. I would have given it to you (I now ride a ‘21 RT), but it wouldn’t fit your “s”. I would definitely suggest you look at the Madstad. It come with adjustable hardware that lets you move the screen vertically about 4” and angle horizontally about 4” at the top. Other screens like F4, Jurock, Freedom etc are very good, but the Madstad adjustability makes it a game breaker.

Pete

Hi, I am just on 180cm (5'11") and I have the Blue Ridge on my recently purchased 2017 F3S. I would gladly give it to you and $100 AUS for your first therapy session. It has the innate ability to vibrate ones head so much that you can see correctly or hear your usually crystal clear Bluetooth music. It is the worst designed piece of crap and I cannot replace it quick enough. I tried putting on some of those lovely attachments to increase the height but I could not find one big enough. I will be replacing mine with something taller for touring riding during the beautiful Aussie winter :-) and will get a small one to face the breeze and cool down during the scorching Aussie summer. Stay away from the blue ridge as everyone I speak to who has had (note had, not has) one, hated it with a passion.

If you have a mate who is too poor to replace his/hers/theirs, see if they will let you have a test ride. I did that with a mate's bigger screen and I love it. I will likely get the same screen.
Good luck with your screen upgrade.

Previously owned a 2015 RTS for 4 yrs with an upgraded F4 28" screen to block the breeze from Big Aussie trucks on our crap single-lane highways :-)

Pirate
01-07-2022, 01:34 AM
2020 F3 Base. The cheapest.

I have a 21 F3 base model. I am 6'2" and initially went with the Route 129. I didn't go with the Blue Ridge on the advice here on this forum that it caused a lot of buffeting. The Route 129 wind hit me directly in the chest and I wanted it to hit a bit higher. I utilized the Route 129 hardware and purchased a 23" Jurock windshield. Now, I still get some air, but it hits me better since I like some wind.

I see you purchased the Blue Ridge, and I hope it works for you. If not, at least now you have options. ;)

RickWB
01-07-2022, 02:39 PM
I am 5'10" and had a Blue Ridge. Lots of noise and buffeting. I ordered a 20" Madstad yesterday.