PDA

View Full Version : 2021 Road Trips, who's going where?

Papa103
12-24-2020, 08:49 AM
I was just reading a post about someone planning a road trip and rather that hyjack his post I thought I should start another. What trips do you have planned for 2021 already? I live in Maine and I am planning a trip to Tennessee in the spring. (sister & BIL live there) I have a friend in N Carolina and we are planning to hook up and ride some in the area. I've never been to The Tail of The Dragon, and Mertle Beach has been on my bucket list for a long time now. It will probably be a 2 week trip. So what else is a must see along the route or in that area? I plan on using main roads and no interstate. Happy planning and riding.

Tango
12-24-2020, 09:05 AM
We are thinking a trip to Lamonster Garage in the spring. Spyder in the Ozarks in September. And hopefully a trip to Sturgis and surrounding area in the summer. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

tntnj
12-24-2020, 09:38 AM
Planning a group ride this July with a group of people I work with (they live in Ohio I live in New Jersey) to ride Blue Ridge Parkway from the beginning to the end. The rattler and a few more roads we can find. (did the tail and got a shirt from it this year.)

Scotts8826
12-24-2020, 09:39 AM
I'm planning a western US trip. I will hit Glacier NP, travel through Idaho, Washington and Oregon as I head over to California for the Redwoods. Looking at a two week trip. I'd love to sneak over and catch part of Canada but I'll have to wait and see if the borders open again or not.

spyder01
12-24-2020, 10:03 AM
Ive got a trip planed for FL keys in Feb.,will definitely get down to Maggie Valley this year.Like to go back to upstate NY again Bethel/Woodstock area for more than just a day.VA. and WV.(Talon)for sure.

SPYD3R
12-24-2020, 10:11 AM
South Carolina to PALO DORO CANYON, Canyon, TX to Ft. Kent, ME and back...
as for riding the Blue Ridge Parkway the entire length... be prepared for SLOOOOOW GOING... posted 45 mph max, and lot's of traffic... gr8 restaurant @ mile marker 409...
as for the Tail of the Dragon, when crossing over into TN, SLOW DOWN, the lawmen are waiting with radar and sound detectors...
for Mertle Beach, other than the typical tourist traps, it's somewhat boring... flat roads and traffic traffic traffic....

i may try to do the WINDY 9 in Ohio is i have time and energy...

good luck and good riding to all... hopefully 2021 is better than 2020 - this has been a horrible year for riding....
Dan P
SPYD3R

bikerchris1270
12-24-2020, 10:13 AM
LaMonster in Spring for Alignment.....tour the Ozarks.
Summer: Glacier, Oregon Crater Lake...Washington Coast.

iridenow
12-24-2020, 10:35 AM
I had to postpone my trip up PCH this year. I am planning it for April 2021 now. Can't wait.

ARtraveler
12-24-2020, 10:49 AM
A great idea for a new thread. :2thumbs: :firstplace:

We are also doing some of that winter planning. This year we stayed within 200 miles of home base, avoided crowds, and just toured the surrounding radius. Approx. 20,000 miles over all three of our bikes. That is a record for us, but now we have 360 days a year to do it in.

This year: some ideas:
:ani29: explore the four adjacent states. Need some cajun, tex mex, and BBQ foods to try in their natural environment.
:ani29: hope to make two extended trips. One to the Black Hills, and one to Utah. We now have family in both places.
:ani29: hope to attend some of the closer rallies.
:ani29: we want to further explore Branson MO. Many places to dine and many shows to see.
:ani29: Going to visit SpyderPops for servicing and farkleing in the early part of the year.

At the moment, that is what is on the burner. Pray and hope the virus will be settled down so the above becomes possible. :pray: :pray:

Lew L
12-24-2020, 10:54 AM
A couple of rallies at the least. Three wheel rally in Deadwood, SD and the NorCal rally in ??????????????

Garydj
12-24-2020, 11:10 AM
I'm planning on Deadwood in July for the three wheel rally. I'm sure there will be other trips as well, but not planned yet. 2020 I did not do near enough.

Mazo EMS2
12-24-2020, 11:21 AM
SD Black Hills for 10 days Memorial Day weekend. That's all that's in the books for now, but we tend to do a lot of overnighters on the weekends with some friends. Yellowstone in 2022.

Big F
12-24-2020, 12:04 PM
we are planning similar rides to the locations that Tango mentioned.
we are from the Omaha area and also ride frequently with NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders) and also their annual rally in August in Council Bluffs.
BIG F

Shadowrun
12-24-2020, 01:21 PM
Papa103- good call, always nice to look forward to new adventures.
I’m still a noobie myself, and getting my roadlegs under me. but I’ve got my eyes set on re-visting the curvy joys & scenery in West ‘ByGod Virginia.
Something terribly satisfying about hugging those roads that have been barely cut out of the Mountains.
Its barely a “trip” since I’m in Ohio, but what I learn on these small trips will prepare me for bigger ones to come.
(Also... my F3-T is ..?modestly spacious, but its no packmule like the RT.)

Seeing some talk of the Blue Ridge Parkway!... thats a good one! I’ve not seen most of it,
but been on a 2 or 3 small sections of it (decades ago, in my truck).
...Seem to remember getting detoured off it, just when it started to look interesting.
Anyrate, that seems like a GREAT idea for a future trip too, with some adequate planning. +1 for The List.

2021 might also see a nice long trip to Eastern Tennessee in late Summer (“long” for me is taking a 1week, not OnCall, OutOfOffice).
Got some friends I’d really like to visit, and views to take in.
I’m a foodie too, so... i just gotta pull over where ever my nose tells me I should stop. :thumbup:

Other than that... Too many things West of Mississippi to count that need visiting, but thats beyond beyond 2021 for me.
+1 for those mighty Redwoods!

dpetrick
12-24-2020, 03:24 PM
Hoping to make a trip to central Wisconsin to visit my sisters. Would then ride with them and their husbands around Wisconsin. Also hope to make a trip out West to visit some national parks. Would also like to get to Alabama to visit a good friend. Want to ride the Great River Road on the Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin sides of the river. All depends on COVID19 status as the summer progresses.

RICZ
12-24-2020, 04:22 PM
You flatlanders who are thing of heading to the left coast, don't hesitate to contact me for tips. Here's a sample; If you want ocean views and you travel Hwy.101, there aren't any worth mentioning in Washington. The Oregon coast is drop dead gorgeous from Yachats south. I can't get enough of it.
As for me, I'm playing it by ear.

Papa103
12-24-2020, 05:03 PM
Looks like lots of good destinations if the new year.

Papa103
12-24-2020, 05:10 PM
I finally figured out how to get my map in my signature. These are only destinations I have made with my Spyder. I've only had the Spyder for about a 1 1/2 years. I put over 15000 miles on it in 2020. Now I'm ready to take on the rest of the world. lol

Navydad
12-24-2020, 07:54 PM
Planning a spring trip to Texas Hill Country on the Spyder RT with my wife riding pillion. This will probably be a three week trip and include Natchez Trace. Later in the year an open ended trip to the west coast and up the coast through California, Oregon, and Washington. Back east to Glacier Park and Yellowstone. I will be on my own for this trip so I will more than likely ride the Moto Guzzi. Of course this all hinges on what the new year brings.

UtahPete
12-24-2020, 08:00 PM
Northwest motorcycle camping trips for us this summer. Maybe east as far as the Dakotas.

JKMSPYDER
12-24-2020, 08:53 PM
I hope to ride around lakes Michigan and Superior next year.

RICZ
12-24-2020, 09:27 PM
Later in the year an open ended trip to the west coast and up the coast through California, Oregon, and Washington. Back east to Glacier Park and Yellowstone.
Like I stated before, there's precious little ocean to see along Hwy.101 in Washington. Assuming you are north, it's worth the ride to go up to and around the Olympic Peninsula and ride up to Hurricane Ridge from the town of Port Angeles. To cross Washington, do take Hwy.20 just south of the Canadian border, it begins at Sedro Woolley. It's one of this country's (if not the world) premier motorcycle roads. While still in Washington, it is well worth it to drop down to Hwy.12 which runs across Idaho and into Montana over Lolo Pass - voted by many THE BEST motorcycle road ever. You will thank me. Any other east-west road across Washington is pretty arid and mostly wheat growing country.

canamjhb
12-24-2020, 11:22 PM
I have 2 trips planned. First, going to Texas Hill Country in April to meet some old friends and make some new ones. Then I plan to do a summer trip to the N.W. to visit family in Washington and Oregon. Planning on 10 days for Texas trip and 20-30 for the N.W. trip..... Jim

Woodaddict
12-24-2020, 11:40 PM
ride Blue Ridge Parkway from the beginning to the end.

to make it interesting you can ride Skyline Drive, starts in Front Royal, VA goes right into BRP. riding at the crest of the mountains like BRP.

pieman9155
12-25-2020, 05:14 AM
we are planning maybe june from albany ny to skyline, brp , the tail maybe the rattler taking month if all works we have 2 bikes :yes::spyder2:

bikerbillone
12-25-2020, 06:51 AM
Gonna do Dollywood, The Dragon for the fourth time, some other TN twisties.

VStarRider
12-25-2020, 10:32 AM
I have been putting some proposed trip ideas in my To Do app on my phone so I don't forget. One in there is to stay a couple of nights in Cooperstown or Oneonta, NY and explore the Catskills. I haven't really spent much time in that part of the state, ever. My NY road atlas shows lots of promising roads in that region.

As for out of state, I have been intrigued by US 6 through northern PA and the Windy 9 in Ohio ... they are not too far and offer something new. Is the Windy 9 all its cracked up to be? I see it was featured in Roadrunner magazine.

Overall, I like to find places that few talk about riding in - such as the hilly areas of western/northern Connecticut and Massachusetts. So many places with great riding that just are not on anyone's radar.

IGETAROUND
12-25-2020, 11:55 AM
Windy 9 in Ohio ... they are not too far and offer something new. Is the Windy 9 all its cracked up to be? I see it was featured in Roadrunner magazine.

YES, the windy 9 is just fantastic riding. Has to be one of the better MC roads in the eastern part of our great country. Did 3 of the nine and will definitely be going back for more. only bad thing was I trashed my drive belt on the return trip home.

Al in Kazoo

Big F
12-26-2020, 10:20 AM
If you want a nice smaller rally watch for Spyderfever in August in Council Bluffs, IA Lots of fun and the most bang for your buck of any rally in America! Look for the Spyderfever website or on Facebook put on by NISR (Nebraska Iowa Spyder Ryders)..
BIG F

RayBJ
12-26-2020, 11:37 AM
Planning a run from NJ to Yellowstone via Beartooth, Needles, Devils Tower, Pikes Peak, etc. Figure to allot 2 weeks for the ~6000mi loop. May hit some of the Windy 9 based on comments here. Need to color in more of my map!

Gldwnger
12-26-2020, 11:49 AM
Planning a run from NJ to Yellowstone via Beartooth, Needles, Devils Tower, Pikes Peak, etc. Figure to allot 2 weeks for the ~6000mi loop. May hit some of the Windy 9 based on comments here. Need to color in more of my map!
I am only about an hour away from the windy 9 routes. You can get your maps here-http://WINDY9.COM

RayBJ
12-26-2020, 11:51 AM
Thanks! I ordered the map. :2thumbs:

GeezerGlide
12-26-2020, 03:47 PM
I was just reading a post about someone planning a road trip and rather that hyjack his post I thought I should start another. What trips do you have planned for 2021 already? I live in Maine and I am planning a trip to Tennessee in the spring. (sister & BIL live there) I have a friend in N Carolina and we are planning to hook up and ride some in the area. I've never been to The Tail of The Dragon, and Mertle Beach has been on my bucket list for a long time now. It will probably be a 2 week trip. So what else is a must see along the route or in that area? I plan on using main roads and no interstate. Happy planning and riding.

Besides the Tail of the Dragon, Ride the Snake

pegasus1300
12-26-2020, 04:46 PM
I will be visiting the mini car museum outside of Phoenix in the end of Feb. Hope to do the Sisters in Tex in April. I will be in Deadwood for dw3r6 in July. I always do the Red Rock Ride In at St.George. If there is any money left I have friends to visit in Gerveis OR.in the fall. Should be a good year.

Brainsprain
12-26-2020, 08:41 PM
I’ll join in. We planned a trip that got cancelled by Covid last June to July. We hope to do it this June to July. We live in St Augustine FL. We’l go to New Orleans, San Antonio, Texas Hills and Big Bend NP, then toCarlsbad Caverns, White Sands, Southern AZ, Southern Cal to Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Yosemite, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Southern Utah then heading home. We bought Cycle Chiller outfits to endure the heat but also rising early to beat the heat. Our work schedules prohibit earlier departures—teachers.

As for the BRP, I’ve spent a good part of my life exploring it. Lived not far away for a while. There is so much to see and do one could spend six weeks there. As for adventurous roads, if one is on the BRP almost any road off of it is a twisty at least from Blowing Rock South west. Grandfather Moutain demads good skills. Little known Beach Mountain is a challenge. Ride all the way to the top in the early morning or late afternoon, and you’ll see lots of deer. Also, it is known for having had a Wizard of OZZ theme park at the top that is now closed except for special events. It’s worth the ride up because some of the residents have yard art from the book/film. My girlfriend and i have done all of the BRP from Cherokee to BLowing ROck and a good part of it on north. The Sunshine Parkway in Virginia connects to it at its northern terminus. The SPW is also quite spectacular in parts. There are a number of wineries along the parkways to stop to enjoy. If that’s your thing, contact the associations of wineries for info and maps. Mile markers are available. They cannot advertise on the parkway.

When you get into SW North Carolina and East Tennessee any road is fun to ride. I found Grandfather Mountain, Mount Mitchell and Beach

Mountain far more challenging than tail of the dragon. Sorry, but I did.

This summer will be our first long trip on our Spyder. All previous Motorcycling was done on a V-Strom 650.

To be able to travel, I will be frist in line for the vaccine when I’m told I can have it. Being 73 in July, I’ll get it soon. Same for my 63 year old girl friend. To me its a no brainer. I sold my Suzuki to a youngster (42) who got the virus four months ago. He still has episodes of shortness of breath. My 20 year old granddaughter still suffers from a bout with it in September. People who have had minor squirmishes seem to refuse to accept that others have severe responses. I want neither. Stay safe, ride defensively, and protect your health.

easysuper
12-27-2020, 12:26 AM
If the border opens up and this dang plague dies down we are planning to ride the Alcan to Fairbanks.

Haze
12-27-2020, 12:28 AM
My plans for 2012
1. Deadwood for dw3r6 in July.
2. Red Rock Ride In at St.George in Sept?.
Possibly NorCal too.

grumpyoldretiredcop
12-27-2020, 12:59 AM
Wanted to make the Red Rock Ride In this year, hope to do it in 2021. I've ridden through Brice but my wife has not. Don't think I'll be making too many trips in 2021, but since I'm going to give retirement another try starting in 2022, maybe we'll have more opportunities.

al0vely
12-27-2020, 07:07 AM
I am planning on the Skyline and BRP hopefully in May - during these winter months trying to plan my stops. Looking forward to reading others comments about this route.

Valkrocket
12-27-2020, 07:38 AM
I am planning on the Skyline and BRP hopefully in May - during these winter months trying to plan my stops. Looking forward to reading others comments about this route.

So let me get this straight........You're gonna take your BRP to the BRP? LOL. Happy New Year Friend. :2thumbs:

inspectsir
12-27-2020, 08:35 AM
We take a 3 to 5000 mile trip every Fall. Not sure where to this year, but probably West from GA. Wife and I ride our own Spyders.

Bangorbob
12-27-2020, 10:48 AM
Windy 9 in Ohio ... they are not too far and offer something new. Is the Windy 9 all its cracked up to be? I see it was featured in Roadrunner magazine.

YES, the windy 9 is just fantastic riding. Has to be one of the better MC roads in the eastern part of our great country. Did 3 of the nine and will definitely be going back for more. only bad thing was I trashed my drive belt on the return trip home.

Al in Kazoo

Al, You could just take a trip over to Bangor. The town is kinda still in the 60's. What a trip. I would like to go from Pahrump to Yellowstone. I've done it in cars and RV's but never on 2 or 3 wheels.

chris56
12-27-2020, 11:11 AM
since 10 years there is the "European Ryder Event" here in Austria on one of the highest roads of the Alps (over 1o.ooo feet) - its a homerun for us like every year .. there come hundreds Spyders/Rykers from all around the world but we NEVER met an US driver .. maybe these roads are too dangerous for you ?? :ohyea:

so - who will be the first ??
(its limited for 300 Ryders - so have a look to get a ticket)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa52jYfIZiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUGg1HOYf9k&t=89s

RICZ
12-27-2020, 12:53 PM
Chris56....
Too dangerous? Are you kidding? Come over and we will go pass bagging in Colorado where there are MANY over 10K foot passes. The wife and I spent almost a month pass bagging in the ALPS on a rented BMW K1200LT back in 2000. The only roads I consider dangerous are those goat trails carved into high up vertical cliffs in South America and India. I ain't doing those. But the ERE sounds delicious.
Tell us more about the European Ryder Event. Is it a one day thing or multi days? Are there enough rental Spyders?
And yes, I know how to pronounce Grossglockner correctly. I also know how to order a large dark wheat beer - very important.
Tschuss
P.S. What are your impressions of the Toyo rear tire?

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-27-2020, 02:02 PM
6000 miles in 14 days! That will be one rushed trip! That's an average of 428 miles/day. If you want to ride back roads, do side trip visits to museums, etc., I suggest you either cut it down to ~4000 miles or extend it to 20 days. That's based on 300 miles/day. I know that doesn't sound like very many miles/day, and it really isn't, but at an average speed of 50 mph, counting lunch, gas, and potty stops, that's 6 hours. That gives you only 2 to 4 hours/day for site seeing, naps, leisurely morning starts, etc. You can easily eat up the other 14 hours with breakfast, dinner, sleep, showers, unpacking & repacking, checking email, calls home to wife, and so on. If you're going on that long of a trip make it as enjoyable as you can. Otherwise, why go?

At least that's been my experience!

chris56
12-27-2020, 02:36 PM
Chris56....
Too dangerous? Are you kidding? Come over and we will go pass bagging in Colorado where there are MANY over 10K foot passes. The wife and I spent almost a month pass bagging in the ALPS on a rented BMW K1200LT back in 2000. The only roads I consider dangerous are those goat trails carved into high up vertical cliffs in South America and India. I ain't doing those. But the ERE sounds delicious.
Tell us more about the European Ryder Event.

https://www.brp-world.com/gb/en/brp-universe/events.html

LOL - I will have a look at google where "Colorado" is (I`m from Tyrol) .. so - would love to find some better tires for the front - the Toyo on the back is OK .. if you would need a rental Spyder for the event contact

https://psf.co.at/
take a Ryker - better than a Spyder for the roads her

RICZ
12-27-2020, 03:46 PM
take a Ryker - better than a Spyder for the roads her
We'd be 2 up, so it's looking like a F3L for us.
We spent a few days at the Leichtenhof Hotel in Leichten, up the valley from Linz where the Rotax museum tour will be. Very nice. We woke to the soft sounds of cowbells.
There are some very long tunnels there.

campermac
12-28-2020, 06:37 PM
heading to the following not sure yet on what order I will be taking the trips just yet, just started making the hotel reservations.
Bar Harbor Maine
Smokey Mountains then to Key West
UP of Michigan, then to Sturgis then from there to San Diego, Vegas on the way home.

jerrydonna
12-31-2020, 12:33 PM
ok on the books is our planned rides thru and on every road and mountain top in Co. that is listed under best motorcycle rides in Co. WE travel in MH towing our spyders and then hit the roads. We will than return to Wy. to hit bear tooth a couple times, head back to Rapid City to Black hills and all the rides that come with the area. 60 day trip and with the past years we book about the same miles towing as we do riding. about 7,000 miles mid May leave time
https://www.motorcycleroads.com/motorcycle-roads

fatboy
12-31-2020, 12:48 PM
if you plan to go thru rocky mountain national forest dont forget to make a resevation due to covid also make sure to run chief joseph scenic byway

RICZ
12-31-2020, 12:49 PM
Jerrydonna....If you have never done pass bagging in Colorado, you are in for a treat. Same with Beartooth. We like to motel it in Cooke City for 2 nights (really just a wide spot in the road) and ride over Beartooth to Red Lodge, MT for lunch and then return to Cooke City for the night and then enter Yellowstone NP.

pegasus1300
12-31-2020, 09:37 PM
So far this year, the Mini Car museum outsside of Phoenix, D3WR in July, SLC to Nauvoo Ill.end of August, RedRock Spyder Ride In end of Sept and that should do it for us.

iditchmycar
01-01-2021, 10:27 AM
Me and Wifey will like to visit Texas Big Bend and the Galveston Bike Rally 2021