PDA

View Full Version : Snow !!!!

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-17-2020, 07:18 PM
Well yesterday ( Wed. )Mid Vt. had No Snow, got about 6 inches ( from storm Gail ) ..... but in southern Vt. ie. Benning ton , up to about Rutland they got a HUGH Demp .... Ludlow reported ( official ) 44 inches ....:gaah::clap::clap::clap::clap: More in the mountains :thumbup:..... Mike :thumbup::thumbup:

RideOn
12-17-2020, 08:20 PM
I guess I learn the hard way. I went up a locally popular back road into the Sierra Nevadas last March and found out that my Spyder ST would not go in snow. All was well until I got up high enough and rounded a corner to find out the road had about 4" of snow on it and only two tracks from the few cars or trucks up there.

Once the rear wheel hit the snow, the ST stopped dead in its tracks. All it would do is spin the rear wheel. It seemed there was not enough traction to push the front wheels even a little. I had to back out, turn around and retrace my route up the mountain to get home.

Given its snowmobile heritage, I was a little surprised that the Spyder was so useless in just a few inches of snow. I realize it has tires, not tracks, but still expected a bit more out of it. Live and learn I suppose.

186648 186649

ARtraveler
12-18-2020, 10:34 AM
I guess I learn the hard way. I went up a locally popular back road into the Sierra Nevadas last March and found out that my Spyder ST would not go in snow. All was well until I got up high enough and rounded a corner to find out the road had about 4" of snow on it and only two tracks from the few cars or trucks up there.

Once the rear wheel hit the snow, the ST stopped dead in its tracks. All it would do is spin the rear wheel. It seemed there was not enough traction to push the front wheels even a little. I had to back out, turn around and retrace my route up the mountain to get home.

Given its snowmobile heritage, I was a little surprised that the Spyder was so useless in just a few inches of snow. I realize it has tires, not tracks, but still expected a bit more out of it. Live and learn I suppose.

186648 186649

Yup! That is right on from my Alaska days. Four inches and the back wheel just spins in place. The front wheels act as snow plows and you don't go anywhere. PS. Snow tires just make it worse.

ARtraveler
12-18-2020, 10:35 AM
Well yesterday ( Wed. )Mid Vt. had No Snow, got about 6 inches ( from storm Gail ) ..... but in southern Vt. ie. Benning ton , up to about Rutland they got a HUGH Demp .... Ludlow reported ( official ) 44 inches ....:gaah::clap::clap::clap::clap: More in the mountains :thumbup:..... Mike :thumbup::thumbup:

I saw that parts of the storm area got up to 4 feet. Have not seen a snowfall like that since my first year in Alaska (2001). Got it in October and that one stayed until May. :yikes:

newbert
12-18-2020, 05:39 PM
33 inches here in QueensBURY, New York! ... and it almost all fell overnight, so you couldn't shovel/snow blow in smaller amounts. Most recent forecast predicted 5-7". The weather service wasn't off by much on this one. LOL.

pegasus1300
12-19-2020, 10:30 AM
It even snowed here in Utah. At least we will have some water next summer. Looks 12-18 inches herer in the valley, 2 or more feet in the mountains.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-19-2020, 01:02 PM
It even snowed here in Utah. At least we will have some water next summer. Looks 12-18 inches herer in the valley, 2 or more feet in the mountains.

" even snowed " :roflblack: ... Utah has some of the best Skiing in the US .... Spring City must not be near the mountains ..... Mike :thumbup: