PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on good Inverters?

Kchurch
12-13-2020, 07:54 PM
Any suggestions on a good inverters

aka1004
12-13-2020, 09:07 PM
Best inverter is no inverter but if you must, make sure that you get full sine wave inverter. $100 for laptop size inverter is good.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-13-2020, 10:53 PM
What do you plan to use it for, and how much load do you expect to put on it?

ARtraveler
12-14-2020, 10:57 AM
A question from those of us who are not mechanical.

What is an inverter? :bowdown: And, thanks in advance. :yes:

IGETAROUND
12-14-2020, 10:58 AM
can't go too far wrong with battery tenders inverters. Company is going to be there to stand behind it's products

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-14-2020, 11:05 AM
A question from those of us who are not mechanical.

My understanding is it converts DC to AC .... ie. you can have AC currant if you add one to your car or trks. 12v DC system ..... Mike :thumbup:

Possible
12-14-2020, 04:01 PM
What size? TSW or PSW?

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-14-2020, 05:36 PM
Actually it's electrical, not mechanical! ;) What it does, like Mike says, is take direct current from a battery or direct current generator and converts it into alternating current like is in a house. They come in all sizes and capacities from little ones just big enough to run a light bulb or laptop and that you plug into a cigarette lighter to huge ones with dozens of batteries and enough power to run the control systems of a factory (but not the motors, etc.).

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-14-2020, 05:43 PM
What size? TSW or PSW?
Did you mean to say "True Sine Wave or Modified Sine Wave". TSW is the same as pure sine wave, from what I find. The three versions are square, modified, and true, with true being the best but for many applications modified being quite adequate.

Possible
12-14-2020, 06:28 PM
Yes, that should have been MSW, Modified Sine Wave.

From my understanding most delicate electronics prefer the TSW, and some will work fine on MSW. But I am no expert, just know
a little from hanging around the RV forum.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-14-2020, 06:50 PM
From my understanding most delicate electronics prefer the TSW, and some will work fine on MSW.
I don't where the best place is to find out what electronics really need or should have a TSW inverter other than forums like this, and maybe owners' manuals. My just purchased Traeger Scout grill came with a MSW inverter, and my CPAP machine runs fine on an MSW inverter, as do my phone and tablet chargers.

Steve W.
12-14-2020, 11:43 PM
And we STILL don't know what Kchurch wants an inverter for. :dontknow:

can't go too far wrong with battery tenders inverters. Company is going to be there to stand behind it's products
I don't think Battery Tender makes inverters.

An inverter does not charge a battery, which is what Battery Tender's products do.

To MOST people, an inverter is a small-ish probably portable device that will give you a reasonable facsimilie of household power from a 12-volt battery. Depending on the load applied, it can draw heavily from the battery, so you need a LOT of battery power or an engine running to keep the battery charged.

Until Kchurch comes back to detail the need for an inverter, it's all guessing.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-15-2020, 01:19 AM
I don't think Battery Tender makes inverters.

Oops! You forgot that sometimes Google can be your friend! :thumbup:

https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-Tender-400W-Power-Inverter_2

Bfromla
12-15-2020, 01:46 AM
Good visit to a truck stop will find fair selection & recommendations as well as alternative options depending on what you are looking for, there maybe a 12VDC version; trucker tuff & portable :clap::thumbup: Definitely some preferred stops when out on trips(pre covid)depending on social finesse :chat: also good source of road work, scenic routes, & restaurants :2thumbs::yes:
*:lecturef_smilie:* however a good number may have had bad experiences with “bikers”:sour: sport or other* just fair warning.

Steve W.
12-15-2020, 06:57 AM
Oops! You forgot that sometimes Google can be your friend! :thumbup:

https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-Tender-400W-Power-Inverter_2
Can't forget what you never knew in the first place. :dontknow:

Did YOU forget that I used the very indecisive "I don't think ..." rather than "Battery Tender doesn't make ..."?

At the time I wrote that, I was unaware of that product. I am now more-educated. Thank you. :thumbup:

ulflyer
12-15-2020, 08:01 AM

Just curious; assuming it would be used it on your Can Am, what would you operate with it?

Steve W.
12-15-2020, 09:53 AM
Just curious; assuming it would be used it on your Can Am, what would you operate with it?

Kchurch has only had three posts to SL in the several months that he (she?) has been a member.

Two of them were posts that were started by asking a question, then never returning.

Until he (she?) comes back to provide details, we are all just guessing and wasting electrons. :dontknow:

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-15-2020, 06:13 PM
Kchurch has only had three posts to SL in the several months that he (she?) has been a member.

Two of them were posts that were started by asking a question, then never returning.

Until he (she?) comes back to provide details, we are all just guessing and wasting electrons. :dontknow:

:agree: I just sent an email asking him to come respond. There is an email link in the popup when you click on the member name.

Kchurch
12-16-2020, 09:06 PM
Xmas lights for a parade of lights

Kchurch
12-16-2020, 09:08 PM
Xmas lights on our spyder for a xmas parade

Bfromla
12-16-2020, 10:29 PM
Xmas lights for a parade of lights:2thumbs::clap:
Thanks for answering & word of caution :lecturef_smilie:if not actually in “ Authorized“ parade or private property; like parking lots. Those extra color & flashing lights are illegal on public roads:sour:
(Found out hard way nojoke).

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-17-2020, 01:57 AM
A small one like this, https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-120-Watt-Power-Inverter-PI120P/205431825, would probably do just fine as long as the lights are LED. If they are the old fashioned incandescent bulbs then a higher power one would be better.

Snoking1127
12-17-2020, 07:38 AM

Amazon and others sell battery powered Christmas lights. We have two sets on our golf cart. One uses three D cells the other AA cells. Being LED the run a long time on the batteries. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077GXBCD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An inverter will use about 10 times the DC power as the AC output requirement. I would by pass that option and go the route I noted above, unless you play on carrying a fully changed much larger car type battery in the Frunk to power the inverted. Also be careful on how you mount the lights, the GC's tupperware has marks from the lights rubbing on it. Chris