PDA

View Full Version : "Shock" prices!

Tango
12-13-2020, 09:07 AM
I researched the prices of "shocks" yesterday. And I was, "SHOCKED!:gaah: ELKA, M2, Wilbers are way up there. Progressive made shocks for the earlier models. But not the new ones. :lecturef_smilie: BRP? Well, what don't they sell that isn't a shock price wise? :yikes: I understand that they aren't producing thousands of these. But, damn they are sure proud of them. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

ARtraveler
12-13-2020, 11:35 AM
Accessory prices for most any toy are through the roof.

They don't have to be, but most price them much higher than needed. It's all about the profit margin. They do it because they can.

Listen to the banter on Shark Tank some time. It's all about the profit.

hypurone
12-13-2020, 12:14 PM
I researched the prices of "shocks" yesterday. And I was, "SHOCKED!:gaah: ELKA, M2, Wilbers are way up there. Progressive made shocks for the earlier models. But not the new ones. :lecturef_smilie: BRP? Well, what don't they sell that isn't a shock price wise? :yikes: I understand that they aren't producing thousands of these. But, damn they are sure proud of them. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

I recently found a set of Fox Podium 1.5 front shocks for my wingman on Ebay for 240.00pr!! People don't even look at these because they are "aligned" with BRP.... But let me tell you, I have 22K HARD miles on these and they still perform brilliantly. NO leaks either!! The spring rates are excellent and I only have to run them at position 6 of 10 to be able to ryde the byke within an inch of its life... We both also run the Podium 2.0 on the rear as well and it can be found for MUCH less than any of the shocks you listed!

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-13-2020, 12:23 PM

:agree: ... I was able to change the Shock angle of all three of my Spyders ( more up-right ) and this improved the ride significantly ( without any Harseness ) I recommend Ron's sway-bar, but didn't feel it would further improve what I had already done. .... I'm fortunate I can DIY stuff ( successfully so far :roflblack:) The bracket I designed would work really well for the RykerRallye, for those who want to add ground clearance to the front, unfortunately I don't have access to a Ryder to work on ..... Mike :thumbup:

2dogs
12-13-2020, 02:25 PM
:agree: ... I was able to change the angle of all three of my Spyders ( more up-right ) and this improved the ride significantly ( without any Harseness ) I recommend Ron's sway-bar, but didn't feel it would further improve what I had already done. .... I'm fortunate I can DIY stuff ( successfully so far :roflblack:) The bracket I designed would work really well for the RykerRallye, for those who want to add ground clearance to the front, unfortunately I don't have access to a Ryder to work on ..... Mike :thumbup:

I did just about the same thing using rubber donut spring spacers and ended up with similar results on the front shocks. How many inches (horizontally) did you move the shock bolts into the more up-right position (top or bottom)? Did you re-laser align after your modification?

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-13-2020, 06:11 PM
I did just about the same thing using rubber donut spring spacers and ended up with similar results on the front shocks. How many inches (horizontally) did you move the shock bolts into the more up-right position (top or bottom)? Did you re-laser align after your modification?

I have pics in one of my albums .... on my GS and RSS I moved the top of the shock out about 1 3/4 inches, on the 14 RT ( new frame year ) I went about 2 1/2 in. .... I kept the same ground clearance so this didn't change the Alignment .... and no tire wear issues have occurred ( 40,000 + mi. later ) ..... by only changing the shock angle and not any Pre-load the ride didn't become Harsh. ... the more up-right the OEM shock is the better it functions ..... Lenny at *it *ull did something similar for the GS with solid alumin. blocks ... very costly ... Mine are 1/8 flat stock cheaper and less wear on moving parts.... I would love to get my hands on a Ryker for a day or two, since my design only needs minor changes to fit the Ryker it would be easy.... Folks who want / need to raise their ground clearance could have them made to whatever height they want ( within limits of course ) ...... Mike :thumbup: IMHO when you compress a coil spring two things happen #1.- the Shock travel will be less and #2.- it will produce a stiffer and usually harsher ride .... If you compress the coil spring to it's max you essentially have what H.D. created in their Hard Tail models ( they had to put springs under the seats ). Corvettes have a " magnetic ride system " on some of their models. It's incredible what it does .... But for a Spyder it would be way over-kill and Uber expensive ..... good luck ... Mike :thumbup:

canamjhb
12-13-2020, 06:36 PM
I know this is apples and oranges but on my old Can Am Commander, I installed a shock relocation kit. That kit moved the top of the shocks outboard so they functioned more vertically. It made a MUCH better riding bike. This is the same improvement BK911 has done to his bikes. For some unknown reason Can Am likes to have the shocks at an angle. The ride is much improved when they are straightened out. I think a relocation kit for the Ryker like BK911 suggested would be a real winner..... And most likely a lot more reasonably priced than going to expensive replacements..... Jim

2dogs
12-13-2020, 07:10 PM
IMHO when you compress a coil spring two things happen #1.- the Shock travel will be less and #2.- it will produce a stiffer and usually harsher ride ....

That's why I went with only one donut (one coil space) and backed it up with Ron's sway bar. It only raised the frontend 1/2" and no harsh ride feeling at all. Yea, spring compressors can end up causing your windshield control arm to fracture. LOL

aka1004
12-13-2020, 09:17 PM
I paid $600 for rear elka and I m not happy.
They ask questions about my weight and riding habits but received shock with stock setting.
Elka tech support is pretty bad also. They seem like they no longer cared(if you can get hold of them) since sale was made.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-14-2020, 12:10 AM
I know this is apples and oranges but on my old Can Am Commander, I installed a shock relocation kit. That kit moved the top of the shocks outboard so they functioned more vertically. It made a MUCH better riding bike. This is the same improvement BK911 has done to his bikes. For some unknown reason Can Am likes to have the shocks at an angle. The ride is much improved when they are straightened out. I think a relocation kit for the Ryker like BK911 suggested would be a real winner..... And most likely a lot more reasonably priced than going to expensive replacements..... Jim

Wellllllllllllllllll, it's not really apples to oranges ..... coil-overs are coil-overs .... they work the same on all suspended vehicles .... and your Commander reacted the same way my Spyders did .... the folks who bought " Lenny's " shock re-locators ( which are no longer available ) were quite impressed with what they did for the ride (I'll bet there are still folks here who bought them ) ( I gifted a set of my re-locators to Peter, but His Spyder had the old type frame, so they didn't fit :gaah: and shipping anything to Australia costs a lot ) .... I designed mine with a larger Angle change , actually improved the ride even more .... I made quite a bunch of sets, increasing the vertical in small increments .... A couple of BRP Techs took my 14 RT ( with the shock adjusters ) for a ride and were quite impressed with the handling improvement .... However they told me BRP wasn't going to make ANY changes to the PLASTIC no matter how small. ..... Mike :thumbup: I'm curious - who made the Commander Kit ???

Tango
12-14-2020, 09:05 AM
I paid $600 for rear elka and I m not happy.
They ask questions about my weight and riding habits but received shock with stock setting.
Elka tech support is pretty bad also. They seem like they no longer cared(if you can get hold of them) since sale was made.

I had the Elkas on the front of my 14RT. They were awesome! But with QC problems later on, and now hearing of poor customer service? Makes one wonder. Local dealer wants the same $$ to put on Rons shock adapters as putting on new shocks. The shocks have to be removed anyway. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

canamjhb
12-14-2020, 02:50 PM
Mike :thumbup: I'm curious - who made the Commander Kit ???

Mike, It's been a few years since I played in the dirt but I believe the relocation kit was made by a company named Racer Tech. If memory is correct, I also installed better springs and axles. The kit raised the height of the commander so longer axles were needed. The OEM Commanders ride was pretty mushy and felt top heavy. The mods I made to mine made it awesome compared to others at that time..... Jim

trikermutha
12-15-2020, 08:33 AM
Putting on Rons adjusters are somewhat easy. I used them for awhile before switching over to the M2 shocks.

Peteoz
12-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Putting on Rons adjusters are somewhat easy. I used them for awhile before switching over to the M2 shocks.

The M2 shocks going OK, Triker? I will probably be looking to upgrade shocks when I finally upgrade to a 20RT, and our local dealer only carries Elka now, and I am not that keen on them after reading reports on leaks and poor service.

Pete

trikermutha
12-15-2020, 04:11 PM
The M2 shocks going OK, Triker? I will probably be looking to upgrade shocks when I finally upgrade to a 20RT, and our local dealer only carries Elka now, and I am not that keen on them after reading reports on leaks and poor service.

Pete

Yes been working very well . You may have to ask for the upgraded rear shock bolt if you decide to go with the M2 shocks noticed he has a video on the topic.

T.P.
12-16-2020, 09:17 AM
Remember that SPYDERLOVERS members get a 20% discount on M2 shocks.

I have about 5600 miles on mine, They work GREAT!

T.P.

Peteoz
12-16-2020, 03:06 PM
Yes been working very well . You may have to ask for the upgraded rear shock bolt if you decide to go with the M2 shocks noticed he has a video on the topic.

I couldn’t find anything about an upgraded shock bolt on the site, Triker, only extra spacers (I had to get them for my Wilbers on the F3-L). I’ll ask about the bolt when I communicate with them :thumbup:

Pete

Tango
12-16-2020, 06:41 PM
Remember that SPYDERLOVERS members get a 20% discount on M2 shocks.

I have about 6000 miles on mine, They work GREAT!

T.P.

Now that would help a lot! Thanks for mentioning that. :2thumbs: Tom :spyder:

trikermutha
12-16-2020, 07:06 PM
I couldn’t find anything about an upgraded shock bolt on the site, Triker, only extra spacers (I had to get them for my Wilbers on the F3-L). I’ll ask about the bolt when I communicate with them :thumbup:

Pete

I know there was something he posted .. I just cant find it. Anyway talk to Marcus he can fill you in.

trikermutha
12-17-2020, 07:44 AM
Just in case you fidnt see this thread

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?129514-M2-Spyder-shocks

Tango
12-17-2020, 08:53 AM
My thoughts right now are leaning towards M2 shocks. The 20% off is a great deal. Do we really need to do all three shocks? And the sway bar? On my 14 RTS I did just the fronts and the sway bar. That was awesome! :ohyea: Am I being foolish trying to save $700? :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

PMK
12-17-2020, 09:35 AM
My thoughts right now are leaning towards M2 shocks. The 20% off is a great deal. Do we really need to do all three shocks? And the sway bar? On my 14 RTS I did just the fronts and the sway bar. That was awesome! :ohyea: Am I being foolish trying to save $700? :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Don’t forget, you will need an alignment after installing the shocks. The shocks should be allowed to settle for say 50 to 100 miles before aligning.

While the crew here likes M2 stuff, my longtime friend had nothing but troubles with M2 on his bike (not a Spyder). They possibly have it kind of sorted out after three tries, but lots of wasted time and many excuses.

Overall though, typically aftermarket Fox is the best bang for the buck. Still not sure why Ohlins is not offering Spyder shocks, likely to low of a performance vehicle with no race background.

Oh well enjoy what you get, whatever you decide will be an improvement.

Peteoz
12-17-2020, 03:38 PM

Tango, I did the rear on my F3-L primarily because it was continually bottoming out with my size, and the stage 3 Wiber really did help with “smoothing out” potholes, which was my primary reason for getting it. I’m no shock expert, but since the “buy all 3 and get a discount” deal is only a hundred bucks or so, I can’t see how it would hurt to just do the fronts to start.

Pete

trikermutha
12-17-2020, 06:25 PM
You dont have to do all three at once. I didn't align mine but kept it close to stock height anyway. So left it alone and so far it drives smooth.

You also maybe able to compensate the front shock adjustments versus buying a sway bar right now. Thats up to you.

troop
12-18-2020, 09:35 AM
Wish I heard more positive input re: Elka's, as I have a local dealer who could save me some $$. Don't want to spend the $$ on some fronts if they need rebuilding at an abnormal rate...

T.P.
12-18-2020, 04:50 PM
We just spent $28 thousand dollars on a new Spyder, What the hell is another $1400 dollars to fix the ride?

T.P.

Gldwnger
12-18-2020, 05:13 PM
We just spent $28 thousand dollars on a new Spyder, What the hell is another $1400 dollars to fix the ride?

T.P.

28K and you have to fix it? sounds like a bad investment.