PDA

View Full Version : Purge valve

nudle
08-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Had the upgrade done then did a 3000Km trip. :spyder: ran like crap and back fired a lot.I plugged the purge valve with a bolt(Lamonts vidio) and now it runs great. No more back firing. I would recommend this fix

Lamonster
08-26-2009, 02:18 PM
:2thumbs:
Glad it worked for you. Now go see your dealer. :doorag:

YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Questions
08-26-2009, 05:19 PM
I just bought my 08 SM5 with 715 miles on the clock 3weeks ago and had experienced the surging/running like crap problem. I heard about this problem via this forum and approached my selling dealer. Come to find out that the DPS download was done on mine just b4 the sale, and dealer told me that BRP was working on the cure and to be patient; they would call me when things got worked out.

I tried Lamonster's solution last night and took it for a test ride. It seems to have taken care of the problem, but I'm going to run it a few more miles b4 I pass final judgment because the problem seemed to be intermittant to start with. I'll keep you posted and if it is the cure, I'll do stage 2 and ditch the canister.

Lamonster, can you be a little more specific on where you routed the hose with the filter?

Thanks,
Vic

Lamonster
08-26-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't have any pics right now but this guy ran his to the front.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13298
I ran mine to the back.

dave01
08-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Went to a local shop here in NC and told them about the purge valve problem and asked them if they knew of any problems like this. They told me they have had no problems with any software installs they have done and didnt know that the update did anything more than the steering issue. Looks like not every dealership has been informed by BRP of issues with the Spyders. Now i will wait till I get back to Fl to see my dealer.

On a side note, 225 miles today with the hose pinched off with no problems at all.

nudle
08-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Dose it hurt the motor to drive with the purge valve pluged. The :spyder2: runs great with it pluged.

Putt-Putt
08-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks again Lamonster for the info.

Latemarch
08-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Dose it hurt the motor to drive with the purge valve pluged. The :spyder2: runs great with it pluged.

Won't hurt the motor.
But the evap canister will fill up and eventually you'll start to smell gas.