PDA

View Full Version : Dec 7 - Pearl Harbor

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-07-2020, 08:07 PM
This event should never be forgotten... nor the memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice, along with their loved ones ..... Thank you to all who - serve - have served - and will serve in the future ..... May God bless you all ..... Mike :thumbup::thumbup:

Snoking1127
12-07-2020, 08:19 PM
This event should never be forgotten... nor the memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice, along with their loved ones ..... Thank you to all who - serve - have served - and will serve in the future ..... May God bless you all ..... Mike :thumbup::thumbup:

Our RV resorts flag today.

https://i.imgur.com/abAGxQJl.jpg

Note to get a portrait image oriented correctly, I used RV.net image link http://photoposting.is-great.net

And yes that is a very tall flag pole and large flag.

Chris

BajaRon
12-07-2020, 08:37 PM
I agree. We forget and then we lack appreciation. When we don't appreciate what we have inherited from those who sacrificed so much, we will lose it.

Then we will appreciate what we had. But it will be too late.

Saluda
12-07-2020, 08:46 PM
Thanks to all our Vet.s and their families.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-07-2020, 09:18 PM
AMEN, Mike!

My military connection stretches a long way over time. My oldest uncle, Mom's brother, was killed in France in WW1 in 1918. Her youngest brother spent a year in a German POW camp in WW2, and next to youngest was in the Army. My youngest brother had a 20+ year career in the Navy as an aircraft carrier jet jockey, and retired as a Commander in 1997.

So I give a lot of thanks to family members and to all those whom I don't know.

RICZ
12-07-2020, 10:48 PM
We had a faded 48 star flag flying at our house.

pegasus1300
12-07-2020, 11:29 PM
My dad was 32 in 1942 when he enlisted in the Navy and quit his job in management for Marriott Corporation. He served on several ships including the AV4 Curtiss. He was there during the Kamakazi attack in June 1945. He never spoke of his experiences. I was a junior in high school before I ever knew he had been awarded the Navy Marine Corp medal, and the Bronze Star with V. Even in his letters to Mom he never said anything about it only that the Admiral had recognized his contributions to saving the ship and rescuing his fellow crew members. I loved my Dad and his service. He died very young only 59 when he passed. I always think of him on this day.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-07-2020, 11:30 PM
We had a faded 48 star flag flying at our house.
How neat! :thumbup:

Lew L
12-07-2020, 11:48 PM

+1......

YumaGary
12-08-2020, 12:19 AM
Never forget!

wyliec
12-08-2020, 08:33 AM
My dad was 32 in 1942 when he enlisted in the Navy and quit his job in management for Marriott Corporation. He served on several ships including the AV4 Curtiss. He was there during the Kamakazi attack in June 1945. He never spoke of his experiences. I was a junior before I ever knew he had been awarded the Navy Marine Corp medal, and the Bronze Star with V. Even in his letters to Mom he never said anything about it only that the Admiral had recognized his contributions to saving the ship and rescuing his fellow crew members. I loved my Dad and his service. He died very young only 59 when he passed. I always think of him on this day.

pegasus1300,

Thank you very much for sharing. He was definitely a HERO!

My only time on the Island was in 1968 when we pulled in for a few days R.R., while in the Navy.

https://azgovernor.gov/governor/news/2019/12/new-navy-warship-receive-name-uss-arizona

Yabbadabbadoo
12-08-2020, 08:44 AM
Dec 7 also happens to be my Dad's birthday. Yesterday he turned 92. We always tease him that it's a day of infamy because of him. He served in the Army in Europe during the Korean War. Since he is bi-lingual - English and French - they used him as a translator along with his regular grunt mechanic's duties. His only war stories are of drinking German beer and since then he always preferred his beer at cool, not cold temperatures.

MONK
12-08-2020, 08:57 AM
Military service runs deep in my family, aswell. My grandfather on my dads side served in WWII, my dad was in Vietnam and I spent a minute in the sandbox during the 1st Gulf War. None of us consider(ed) ourselves heros. We signed up knowing we might put ourselves in harms way and gladly did it. My grandfather spent time all over the world while serving. Dad served in the US, Vietnam and Germany. I was only in the US and Iraq and not even on the front lines.

Fatcycledaddy
12-08-2020, 10:42 AM
Military service runs deep in my family, aswell. My grandfather on my dads side served in WWII, my dad was in Vietnam and I spent a minute in the sandbox during the 1st Gulf War. None of us consider(ed) ourselves heros. We signed up knowing we might put ourselves in harms way and gladly did it. My grandfather spent time all over the world while serving. Dad served in the US, Vietnam and Germany. I was only in the US and Iraq and not even on the front lines.

Not on the front lines is irelivent in my opinion. When you signed up to defend this country did you get a promise that you would never be in combat or on the front lines? Did you get a promise that you would be whole and alive at the end of your enlistment?
I don't think so! The vey fact that you were willing to put it all on the line at any moment is more than enough for me to applaude you!!!!!
Yes some gave limbs and life and you may not have, but by you signing that paper and saying you would go, you had no idea of where you would be or what the outcome would be.

I am thankfull for evey person who has and will inlist!

MONK
12-08-2020, 11:36 AM
Oh, my recruiter promised me all kinds of stuff. Basic training would be easy, I'd always get a full nights sleep, always warm showers, I'd make lots of money, I'd get to see the world, etc. :)

While I agree that anybody who served, stateside or overseas, in combat or not, no matter what branch, etc is a "hero", I think some are "really" heros and some a little less so. I consider myself "a little less so".

ARtraveler
12-08-2020, 11:45 AM
A big thanks to BK for the posting this notice about Dec. 7. I was hoping it would be initiated by one of our members.

Not as much info coming from the TV these days. Just in passing on the network that I usually watch.

The heroes are now (literally) a dying breed. I for one promise I will keep Dec. 7th in memory until I am no more. :bowdown: