PDA

View Full Version : Converting a SM6 to a SE6

robtdonna
12-04-2020, 11:22 PM
I've read discussions of manual vs. semiauto. I understand the transmission is virtually the same and it's just the shifting mechanism that is different, so has anyone changed over a SM to be a SE?

Woodaddict
12-04-2020, 11:28 PM
buy the se!!!!

robtdonna
12-04-2020, 11:32 PM
LOL, I did ! Had a SM6 RT, now have a SE6 F3-T. But being a curious minded guy, was wondering if anyone took this on. I know I about gave away the RT because of the SM6.

BLUEKNIGHT911
12-05-2020, 12:02 AM
LOL, I did ! Had a SM6 RT, now have a SE6 F3-T. But being a curious minded guy, was wondering if anyone took this on. I know I about gave away the RT because of the SM6.

This has been discussed in the past for a few years ....... it is COST prohibitive. Do a parts search then multiply that by at least 3, unless you can do the work ...... good luck, let us know how much it cost ...... Mike :thumbup:

Peter Aawen
12-05-2020, 12:08 AM
I've read discussions of manual vs. semiauto. I understand the transmission is virtually the same and it's just the shifting mechanism that is different, so has anyone changed over a SM to be a SE?

While the 'gearbox' is the same, the clutch isn't.... and I think that neither is the clutch housing, the clutch avtivation, the shift activation, the shift control, the shift computer, the hand-grip module; the crankcase that the gearbox & clutch etc is all housed inside (along with the rest of the engine's bottom end! :p ) and probably more besides!! :dontknow:

So while it may be 'technically' possible to do and then to make such a conversion work; it'd be a pretty extensive change-over process & probably take a helluva lotta time as well as probably costing pretty close to as much $$ as it'd cost to buy another Spyder with the SE transmission in the first place besides! :gaah:

But I'd really like to follow the thread with pics of someone doing this?! You gonna try?? :ohyea:

robtdonna
12-05-2020, 12:33 AM
Thanks Peter, I was hoping you would see this.

I had hoped it might be bolt-on modules, but in reality did think crankcase might have to be removed and that's a non-starter for me. When I sold my 2014 RT SM-6, the guy who bought had a buddy that said it could be done. Recently been searching for a used RT for a friend and she has found a couple she really likes but they are manuals. Nope, she's not THAT good a friend ! LOL.

Peter Aawen
12-05-2020, 02:08 AM
Yeah, if you REALLY wanted to convert your SM to an SE without going whole hog by using all the OE gear with all the BRP integration & components, you could always get a Quickshifter unit (like a DynoJet or maybe HM?? There are others... Bazzazz is one... :dontknow: ) to go with a Power Commander module so you don't hafta use the clutch to change gears; but you'd still hafta use the clutch to start and stop. :lecturef_smilie:

These Quickshifter units team their electonically controlled bits of kit with the electronics in the Power Commander so that when you initiate the change with your foot (or hand) by applying pressure on the gear selector, it momentarily 'kills' the throttle & executes the change without using the clutch and does it a whole lot quicker than you could!! :ohyea: Lotsa track riders here use them, not strictly to 'go faster', but by reducing the shift time for every gear change and letting the rider stay on High or WOT more of the time, they can significantly reduce track times! :clap: However, there is still a bit of skill required in riding with & using one of them properly & quickly, and if you don't develop that skill pdq, it can mean you do some fairly extensive & expensive damage to your ride!! :shocked:

Still, while it wouldn't ever be quite the same as a Spyder with the 'finger/thumb operated flappy paddles', getting a Quickshifter and a Power Commander would give you access to some better tuning and let you get much the same SE result (just so long as you develop the appropriate skill to use it properly! ;) ) for significantly less cost than converting or even buying an SE! :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-05-2020, 10:18 AM
Add to Peter's list of parts that need to changed out, the Engine Control Module, and add the transmission control module. The SM5 doesn't have it. Just those two rack up to $1100+.

ARtraveler
12-05-2020, 11:00 AM
A much earlier episode of "Counting Cars" did just that. They converted a SM to an SE for a Little Person.

The problem (based on the consensus from our SL site) was the whole episode was FAKE. At the end, it appears that they changed out one vehicle for another.

If a company such as that cannot do it, with all their money and resources, then I sure would not recommend such a change out. There are plenty of used SE's around so that I would not mess with a conversion like that.

There is a place for the SM, but no longer in my stable. My first, an 08/GS was the SM version. I liked it, but no longer miss it. If I want to shift, I jump on the Vulcan. :bowdown:

bigbadbrucie
12-05-2020, 01:36 PM
I have to agree with ARt on this. I liken it to my different cagers. The old 3 on the tree, then the push button, then the automatics, then the 4 on the floor....each one had it’s place, but......I went from an automatic back to the 4 on the floor. Big mistake. Only kept it maybe a year, and got tired of shifting gears. Sold it and went back to automatics. I don’t think I’d want to go back to shifting a m/c all the time, and can’t afford the luxury of a part-time bike. I’ll stick with the SE-6 thank you.

missouriboy
12-05-2020, 04:16 PM
Sounds like there are some pretty good reasons the SE over SM commanded about a $1000 higher sticker price. And THAT'S with factory assembly-line efficiencies.

robtdonna
12-05-2020, 10:10 PM
Point taken. Miss my Vulcan 900 Classic at times. Happy riding, whatever you ride!

Wahrsuul
12-09-2020, 08:47 AM
Thanks Peter, I was hoping you would see this.

I had hoped it might be bolt-on modules, but in reality did think crankcase might have to be removed and that's a non-starter for me. When I sold my 2014 RT SM-6, the guy who bought had a buddy that said it could be done. Recently been searching for a used RT for a friend and she has found a couple she really likes but they are manuals. Nope, she's not THAT good a friend ! LOL.

I wish I'd have bought the SM6 myself, not in love with the SE. It works well enough, but for me I think I'd prefer the manual.
If she's still looking fir an RT with SE6, send her my way.

blacklightning
12-09-2020, 09:08 AM
Looks like we followed the same path. I started out with a 2014 RT SM6. I practically gave that away too (sold in 2 hours). Then I picked up a 2016 F3T SE6, in red no less.

Grandpot
12-09-2020, 09:57 AM
After thinking this over, the only way to do the conversion and keep the price at a minimum is to find a wrecked Spyder SE from the same year and model. Swap out the entire engine, ECM (with software intact), and the left hand multi-function switch. It's not really a conversion, just a swap. You'll also have a complete engine and transmission left over for spare parts.

Peter Aawen
12-09-2020, 11:01 AM
I wish I'd have bought the SM6 myself, not in love with the SE. It works well enough, but for me I think I'd prefer the manual.

I have some difficulty understanding the 'why' of this bit??? :shocked: You do know that with the SE's you can use the flappy paddles under your left thumb & forefinger to change gears up AND down exactly as you would with an SM, only quicker, don't you?? :dontknow:

Still, I guess it'd be easy enough to put the foot lever gear change onto your SE if it's just that you feel the need to include your left foot in the process ;) . Not too sure how well that'd work with the electronics, but I wouldn't think it'd be all that hard to swap the 'flappy finger paddles' for a momentary switch, and maybe you could even just add a clutch lever to trigger that, so not only would the 'practical application' be the same between the SE's and the SM's as they already are, but also the hand & foot movements.... :rolleyes: . :clap:

Motorcycledave
12-10-2020, 11:27 AM
Point taken. Miss my Vulcan 900 Classic at times. Happy riding, whatever you ride!

Shoulda kept the Vulcan

ARtraveler
12-10-2020, 11:45 AM
Shoulda kept the Vulcan

Yep! Sold my first Vulcan 900 as a trade in on Linda's first Spyder. Three years later, I bought another one just like it. Still riding it today.

UNHIJACK: ON :bowdown:

Wahrsuul
12-11-2020, 08:38 AM
I have some difficulty understanding the 'why' of this bit??? :shocked: You do know that with the SE's you can use the flappy paddles under your left thumb & forefinger to change gears up AND down exactly as you would with an SM, only quicker, don't you?? :dontknow:

Still, I guess it'd be easy enough to put the foot lever gear change onto your SE if it's just that you feel the need to include your left foot in the process ;) . Not too sure how well that'd work with the electronics, but I wouldn't think it'd be all that hard to swap the 'flappy finger paddles' for a momentary switch, and maybe you could even just add a clutch lever to trigger that, so not only would the 'practical application' be the same between the SE's and the SM's as they already are, but also the hand & foot movements.... :rolleyes: . :clap:

Wow, thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't sure what that thing was for. And here I've been driving around in first all time and wondering why my mpg was so bad.:roflblack:

No, actually I can't do "exactly" what I'd do with a manual. Sometimes, for no particular reason, I'll wind out first, or second or whatever, then pull the clutch and click all the way to whatever gear I think is appropriate for that speed. I like to do that when merging onto the highway. Can't do that with the SE, it insists on going into each gear in succession. Also, when speeding along and seeing a light up ahead turn red, I'll pull the clutch and click down to neutral and coast up to the light. Again, can't do that with the SE. Also, there's that desire every now and then to blast hard off the line. The SE doesn't do that as well as a manual.

Admittedly, these are minor things, but when I want to do them, it's a tad annoying that I can't. Also I find it odd that the trans will do the clutch, and down shift, why not make it upshift as well and go full auto? Not sure about the logic there.

Between that and the ACS, I'd have been better off buying a base RT and adding a few things.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-11-2020, 08:53 AM
Wow, thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't sure what that thing was for. And here I've been driving around in first all time and wondering why my mpg was so bad.:roflblack:

No, actually I can't do "exactly" what I'd do with a manual. Sometimes, for no particular reason, I'll wind out first, or second or whatever, then pull the clutch and click all the way to whatever gear I think is appropriate for that speed. I like to do that when merging onto the highway. Can't do that with the SE, it insists on going into each gear in succession. Also, when speeding along and seeing a light up ahead turn red, I'll pull the clutch and click down to neutral and coast up to the light. Again, can't do that with the SE. Also, there's that desire every now and then to blast hard off the line. The SE doesn't do that as well as a manual.

Admittedly, these are minor things, but when I want to do them, it's a tad annoying that I can't.
Wow, it sounds like you still have a level of testosterone running around in your body that most of us 70+ year old's have forgotten exists! :roflblack:

Wahrsuul
12-14-2020, 06:53 AM
Yeah, I haven't hit that age yet. But then my brother is 64 this year and is far worse than I am.

The experiment with the spyder hasn't worked out anyway, so I'm hoping it'll be gone soon and I can move on o something else.