PDA

View Full Version : Broken spark plug wire

aka1004
11-26-2020, 02:31 PM
While I was pulling the spark plug wire out one of them broke...
It’s stuck in there pretty good while other side came out easily.
What’s the best way to dig this out?
Thank you in advance.

BajaRon
11-26-2020, 02:41 PM
While I was pulling the spark plug wire out one of them broke...
It’s stuck in there pretty good while other side came out easily.
What’s the best way to dig this out?
Thank you in advance.

A little late. But you should never pull on the spark plug wire itself. Always pull on the boot. You'll need needle nose pliers to get this out. Be sure to pull straight up and you may need to twist as you go. Do not try to pry this out as you could then break the spark plug itself. Still not the end of the world as I'm assuming you are replacing everything anyway. Just not your first choice if you can avoid it.

The OEM boots are made of an inexpensive rubber which tends to weld to the spark plug over time. They can be very hard to remove. A high quality silicone boot and proper application of dielectric grease will avoid this issue in the future.

Good luck!

aka1004
11-26-2020, 02:58 PM
Got it!
I cut the boot open and grab the terminal and viola!
Thank you.

Oh and since you are here, do I put that lube on both end of the wire?

*yes I’m replacing both wire and spark plugs. I think it might have be more than year since I got the cable from you. :)

aka1004
11-26-2020, 03:03 PM
Does that look pretty bad?

BajaRon
11-26-2020, 03:19 PM
Got it!
I cut the boot open and grab the terminal and viola!
Thank you.

Oh and since you are here, do I put that lube on both end of the wire?

*yes I’m replacing both wire and spark plugs. I think it might have be more than year since I got the cable from you. :)

You should have gotten install instructions with the wire set. Put dielectric grease on the spark plug end only. The coil end needs the friction between the boot and the coil to stay connected and tight.

Does that look pretty bad?

That does look pretty bad. If I had to guess I'd say you're not running high enough RPM's to keep the plugs clean. Looks like you're getting some carbon buildup and slight fouling. Or, maybe short trips and not getting everything up to operating temps. Or, do you idle the engine for long periods on cold start-up? Just throwing possibilities out there.

aka1004
11-26-2020, 03:35 PM
I run at high rpm but many short trips.
Grease on spark plug side only and done.
Now on to power commander V!
With complete stock air box off that should be pretty easy except for I’m not 100% sure if I have the crank position sensor but pretty sure if that 2nd pic is the crank position sensor. :)