PDA

View Full Version : Can you bypass BRP and connect directly to the radio?

Plarimer
11-23-2020, 09:51 AM
As with many I am having trouble connecting to the BRP system. Is there anyway I can connect my iPhone directly to the radio system as I have Sirus on my iPhone and would like to listen to it while on the road. Thanks so much, Peter

2016 Can-Am RTSE6

JayBros
11-23-2020, 10:58 AM
Look at pg. 40-41 of your operator's guide. You should have gotten an audio adapter cable with your Spyder; it looks like the one in left picture. Connect it to your iPhone with a cable like the one in the right picture; got mine from Bust Buy. Plug the cable into the 7-pin socket in your trunk and you should be able to play your Sirius through your speakers or headset. You will probably need a Bluetooth dongle to use a headset but I am not certain.

MONK
11-23-2020, 11:02 AM
Yup. Just pair your phone to the bike.

HAGO!

Plarimer
11-23-2020, 03:32 PM
Thanks so much. I got nothing with this bike, including that tool kit or the cable you show. But this helps a lot. I also do not have a seven pin connector. I have a hook up for a helmet which is around plug-in, And I have a USB cable in the trunk. In the frunk, I only have my trickle charger hook up. Thanks again, Peter

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-23-2020, 04:30 PM

HAGO!
Not on 2016 RT, you don't! The Bluetooth connection was introduced in 2018.

Plarimer, First off,

:welcome:

If you don't have the Operator's Guide for your RT go here and get it: http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=698db985-d25a-4aca-a78b-57007f0fbfa3. You need it. If you have a round connector on the dash for a helmet headset that means you have a CB installed. There is a 7 pin round connector in the trunk, trust me. You can connect your phone to it with the appropriate cable. Another option, but you still need a cable, is to plug a Bluetooth receiver into the port in the trunk and BT connect your phone to it. When you have a device plugged into the port it will up in the audio screen as AUX or iPhone.

Before you ask any more questions get the Operator's Guide, study it, and figure out what all your RT has on it. There's a lot there, but you will undoubtedly have more questions later. Also, read the new user's information here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

EDIT: I forgot to mention the CB option was deleted in 2018.

Plarimer
11-23-2020, 05:26 PM
I’m sorry I am Asking too many questions

JayBros
11-23-2020, 05:50 PM
NO, NO, NO!!! You are not asking too many questions. That's what we're here for. IMS gave you some good information. If you don't find the information in the op guide detailed enough send me a PM with your regular email address and I can send you an addendum that came with my Spyder that has more detailed information but the system won't let me send it as a .pdf attachment in a PM reply.

MONK
11-23-2020, 06:03 PM
Not on 2016 RT, you don't! The Bluetooth connection was introduced in 2018.

Thanks for the schooling, sir. I thought all RTs had BT. Shows what I know, eh? :)

HAGO!

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-23-2020, 06:15 PM
I’m sorry I am Asking too many questions
No problem!

It's just that we really appreciate when someone has done their best to dig out the answers for themselves first. There are many, many, questions that come up where the answer is awfully hard to find, and once in awhile some of us who have been here for years get stumped! BRP has created several versions of the Spyder, and now Ryker, so many times a question that may come up is limited to only one or two versions. The better you know what the lineup has been through the years, the better you can direct your questions, and understand questions others are asking.

Since the introduction of the current model of RT in 2020 questions and answers for the earlier models has dropped off significantly. So many issues you may come up with could well have been discussed 5 years ago and not been addressed at all in the past 3 years. That's a big reason why it will be beneficial to get acquainted with the search function, if you haven't already. An alternative that sometimes works better than the SL search is this format using Google. [search term, site:spyderlovers.com]

So, welcome aboard, and ask away!

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the schooling, sir. I thought all RTs had BT. Shows what I know, eh? :)

HAGO!
Maybe my comment to Plarimer applies to you also!!! You suppose????? :thumbup: There really is a lot to learn about Spyders and Rykers! Just don't try to learn it all overnight! :roflblack:

Think of it as BT replacing CB! The CB option was dropped in 2018. I think, but don't know for sure, that the audio system was built into the cluster in 2018 and is no longer a separate unit.

nightcruiser
11-23-2020, 07:38 PM
You are correct

Flamewinger
11-23-2020, 08:05 PM
You'll need a bluetooth receiver plugged into the phone jack. Then you can pair the phone to it and play thru the speakers.

Plarimer
11-24-2020, 10:47 AM
Well I’m terribly sorry that I am asking too many questions on a forum that invites questions. I guess I’ll just move on.

billybovine
11-24-2020, 11:35 AM
There is a 7 pin round connector in the trunk, trust me.

I guess he can't trust you. :roflblack: The OP has a 2016 RT. It does not have a 7 pin round DIM connector. His Spyder has a USB connector and a aux audio 3.5mm input. Both hardwired in.

billybovine
11-24-2020, 11:38 AM
Well I’m terribly sorry that I am asking too many questions on a forum that invites questions. I guess I’ll just move on.

Not sure why you feel that way. Just explain at what step you are stuck at or explain in more detail what you want to do. There are more then one way to do things. You should be able to buy the correct adapter to go from your phone to the usb connector on the Spyder. That would be the simplest way.

Plarimer
11-24-2020, 11:57 AM
Because I was told not to ask anymore questions until I got an owners manual. I have an owners manual that I got online and I also looked the question up on YouTube before I asked the question on this forum. Maybe I just took it the wrong way.

Partzman23
11-24-2020, 03:32 PM
As with many I am having trouble connecting to the BRP system. Is there anyway I can connect my iPhone directly to the radio system as I have Sirus on my iPhone and would like to listen to it while on the road. Thanks so much, Peter

2016 Can-Am RTSE6

I have a 2017 RTL and I have a iphone 11.In the trunk you have a USB connection . Use the charging cable that came with your iPhone and plug it into the USB connection.
On the dash set it to USB/ipod and you can control the music and volume from your iPhone on the left handle bar controls.if you need anymore information I would be glad to help. I too am retired and I am on here almost ever day.There is no problem asking questions that is what this forum is about. Good luck and enjoy your new spyder.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-24-2020, 07:17 PM
There is a 7 pin round connector in the trunk, trust me.

I guess he can't trust you. :roflblack: The OP has a 2016 RT. It does not have a 7 pin round DIM connector. His Spyder has a USB connector and a aux audio 3.5mm input. Both hardwired in.
Boy, I really stepped into a pile of brown stuff with that one! I had no idea the 7 pin DIN was replaced. That change must have gone really smooth because I don't remember any discussion of it back in 2016.

Plarimer should be able to connect his iPhone direct through the USB port then, right?

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-24-2020, 07:36 PM
Because I was told not to ask anymore questions until I got an owners manual. I have an owners manual that I got online and I also looked the question up on YouTube before I asked the question on this forum. Maybe I just took it the wrong way.
Sorry if I came across a little harsh. I certainly did not intend to! It's just that some members here will occasionally respond with RTFM when someone asks a question that is discussed in the manual. I just wanted you to do what you can to avoid being subjected to that kind of ridicule. It was apparent, to me anyway, that you are quite new to the Spyder world. There is a lot to know and learn about differences between model years. It's obvious, as pointed out above, that I wasn't up to date on the changes to the audio system.

Now, the only thing to figure out is if the info Partzman23 applies to Sirius on the iPhone like it does to music. If you can't control the Sirius via the USB cable and handlebar controls then the next best approach is a Bluetooth receiver. Get one that plugs into a 3.5 mm stereo port and pair your phone to it. Get a phone mount for the handlebar and then you can control the phone directly and have it feed into the audio system. The handlebar control will let you adjust the volume but nothing else.

Review the Preferences section of the Operator's Guide. There are several audio system options there. If some of them are not set correctly you won't hear what you want to hear, for example speakers on or off.

If you still have problems come back and let us know. Together we should be able to figure it all out.

JayBros
11-24-2020, 07:53 PM
Boy, I really stepped into a pile of brown stuff with that one! I had no idea the 7 pin DIN was replaced. That change must have gone really smooth because I don't remember any discussion of it back in 2016...

Same here.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-24-2020, 08:02 PM
That would also mean that a 2016/17 radio won't work in a pre-2016 RT then, doesn't it? At least not without not using the trunk connectors or revamping the harness to add the requisite connectors to the trunk.

billybovine
11-24-2020, 09:15 PM
Plarimer should be able to connect his iPhone direct through the USB port then, right?

From what I have read, yes. Or a flash drive, or another type of smartphone, or a MP3 player.

billybovine
11-24-2020, 09:26 PM
That would also mean that a 2016/17 radio won't work in a pre-2016 RT then, doesn't it? At least not without not using the trunk connectors or revamping the harness to add the requisite connectors to the trunk.

I assume not. Maybe with the harness change. But then the dash may not be compatible since the radio handles this input differently. So not sure. Pre 2016 radios did not play digital files. The ipod could be digitally controlled. But the audio was analog from the ipod. On the 2016 and 2017 models. It can digitally control the connected device. But the connected device sends a digital file to the radio. The radio is capable of decoding and playing that file.

Plarimer
12-06-2020, 03:43 PM
Thanks so much. Once I get everything set up, I can plug my phone or any of my several types of iPods and all work without any problems. Maybe I’m just trying to make all this too complicated. Nice to have tunes and Sirius though.

JP58
12-06-2020, 11:52 PM

HAGO!
You cannot pair a phone to a pre 2018 spyder. Only the 2018 up. OP has a 2016.

bikerbillone
12-07-2020, 07:16 AM

Certainly understand your apprehension, a newbie comes along and asks a question and gets scolded, not pleasant.

Riverson
12-20-2020, 02:37 PM
I recently purchased a 2020 RT and am trying to activate BRP connect. At present I知 enjoying FM radio thru my speakers and it works well. Unfortunately I知 frustrated with setting up BRP connect because I cannot find the USB port in the frunk 😳. I know it has to be there because the manual says it is ! The battery charger cable is there in plain sight so I知 perplexed at this point , even tried a google search all to no avail. Also JayBros mentioned an adapter cable that should have come with the RT but I didn稚 get one and will be calling my dealer on that as well as where is that darn USB PORT in the Frunk? If someone can assist me it would be appreciated and maybe I could get BRP connect functional without calling dealer.

WilcoJunoHotel
12-20-2020, 02:51 PM
I recently purchased a 2020 RT and am trying to activate BRP connect. At present I知 enjoying FM radio thru my speakers and it works well. Unfortunately I知 frustrated with setting up BRP connect because I cannot find the USB port in the frunk ��. I know it has to be there because the manual says it is ! The battery charger cable is there in plain sight so I知 perplexed at this point , even tried a google search all to no avail. Also JayBros mentioned an adapter cable that should have come with the RT but I didn稚 get one and will be calling my dealer on that as well as where is that darn USB PORT in the Frunk? If someone can assist me it would be appreciated and maybe I could get BRP connect functional without calling dealer.

I am not aware of an OEM usb port in the frunk on the 2020. Pretty sure that the "front storage compartment" that the owner's manual is referring to is the small "glove box" compartment in the dash - between the handlebars and the dash. The Owner's manual also refers to this as the glove box.

Riverson
12-20-2020, 03:35 PM
Thank you WilcoJunoHotel , the glove box does have a cable in it but not a USB which the manual says is part of the process for setting up BRP connect. I even watched the short BRP video which clearly shows plugging in the USB cord to a phone in the Frunk but I can’t see the other end in the video. There is a USB in the rear trunk but it isn’t designed for the bandwidth required by BRP Connect . I didn’t attempt to remove the two fuse box thingys because there is no way they would be behind those ! Again the charging cable is prominently accessible but no USB . I am past due for my annual eye exam so says my wife !

WilcoJunoHotel
12-20-2020, 08:12 PM
, the glove box does have a cable in it but not a USB which the manual says is part of the process for setting up BRP connect.

That's weird. My '20 RT glove box has a USB and a 3.5mm right angle plug. I wonder if somehow the cable got pushed down through the hole in the bottom of the glove box? The plastic glove box comes out really easily - just pull on it. There is a rubber grommet in the bottom where the 2 wires pass. Your cables may have been pulled through that hole?

MONK
12-20-2020, 09:46 PM
What Wilco said. The '18/'19s had the 3.5mm and USB plugs in the frunk. In 2020, BuRP redesigned the dash and put both the 3.5mm and USB plugs in that little glove box between the handlebars and gauge screen. There are (2) rubber plugs at the bottom of the glove box. One is blank, the other should have both the USB and 3.5mm plugs coming through it. If your USB isn't in there, it's probably fallen down through the hole. First, I'd check to ensure you didn't miss it. If it got pushed to the bottom of the glove box, it would be easy to miss. Second, check to make sure BOTH rubber plugs are there. If the one that the 3.5mm plug goes through is missing, I'd pull the glove box liner out (as he said, it just slides out) and see if you can find the plug with the USB attached to it. I'd say it's unlikely (although not impossible knowing BuRP) the USB was left off your bike.

If you can't find it anywhere, take it back to the dealer so they can find it. If it's missing or it's not in the glove box, it's a warranty issue, for sure.

Riverson
12-21-2020, 08:00 AM
Oh my, thank you and thank you WilcoJunoHotel and Monk - problem solved ! You’re right it’s in the glove box and the tutorial video I was watching was pre 2020. All my phone and iPad chargers plug into an conventional electrical outlet plug which is smaller than the regular USB so just a matter of picking one up today. Thank you guys again for your help on this

Snoking1127
12-21-2020, 08:15 AM
Someone should put this all into a reference table by year and model? We looked at a 2014 seriously before finding the 2018. I knew the dash was different of the 2018, however was not aware of the other connectivity changes that occurred each year or two. Chris

MONK
12-21-2020, 09:03 AM
Someone should put this all into a reference table by year and model? We looked at a 2014 seriously before finding the 2018. I knew the dash was different of the 2018, however was not aware of the other connectivity changes that occurred each year or two. Chris

I "think"....connectivity was in the trunk on the original RTs (and needed an add'l lead for phone). Connectivity was moved to the frunk in 2017 or 2018. USB and 3.5mm jack and no add'l phone lead needed. Connectivity was again moved in 2020 to the glove box. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

IdahoMtnSpyder
12-21-2020, 09:43 AM
I knew the dash was different of the 2018, however was not aware of the other connectivity changes that occurred each year or two. Chris
Neither was I. That's why I found out how good my foot doesn't taste in my mouth near the beginning of this thread! :roflblack: :banghead: