PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Downshift Question

FredH
11-10-2020, 05:51 PM
I have a friend with a 2019 RT that doesn't downshift when he opens up the throttle. He says it automatically downshifts just fine when coming to a stop, or if he manually downshifts. But if he opens the throttle all the way, it won't downshift automatically on its own.

Not being real familiar with the Spyder myself, I'm wondering if this is by design, or if there is a problem with this bike. I've seen some posts about a problem with a vacuum line, and I'm wondering if maybe he has a vacuum leak. Though I thought these were ride-by-wire systems, and the ECM controlled downshift based on the accelerator position sensor. Is that not the case? Any ideas or suggestions?

Steve W.
11-10-2020, 05:57 PM
The system is not designed to downshift on application of throttle.

JayBros
11-10-2020, 06:05 PM
If your friend is thinking that his 6 speed SE transmission operates like a car's automatic transmission wherein if you want to pass a bloke and you mash the accelerator pedal the transmission automatically drops down a gear the Spyder transmission does does not work that way. He must manually drop down a gear. In each gear, if the operator twists the throttle wide open the engine is simply going to rev up to the redline rev limiter in that gear and that's all that is going to happen. Of course, in sixth gear wind resistance, atmospheric and road conditions are going to make it extremely unlikely that the Spyder will hit the rev limiter. You might suggest to him that he thoroughly read his operator's guide.

FredH
11-10-2020, 06:27 PM
Thanks, that clears up the mystery. I guess I'm used to the Honda DCT transmission. It downshifts like a car when you twist the throttle (if in auto mode).

missouriboy
11-13-2020, 12:45 PM
Yup, there is NO mystery... that's why it's called a semi-automatic. You must paddle-shift both UP and DOWN during acceleration.

The only purpose of the "automatic" downshift while slowing, is to prevent lugging the engine below a minimum RPM.

Stache
11-13-2020, 12:48 PM
Yup, there is NO mystery... that's why it's called a semi-automatic. You must paddle-shift both UP and DOWN during acceleration.

The only purpose of the "automatic" downshift while slowing, is to prevent lugging the engine below a minimum RPM.

And to get the inattentive among us into 1st before we try to pull away from a stop....

Little Blue
11-14-2020, 05:05 AM
:coffee:SPYDERS with the 'SE6' will only downshift when you are slowing down. Check your operating manual for more information. Good luck with your mission. .....:thumbup: