PDA

View Full Version : New design Kenda front tires

Dudley
11-10-2020, 04:13 PM
Looking for reviews on these new tires...pro and con. Kanine KR20.

troop
11-10-2020, 04:34 PM
The Kanine KR20 ? If so, a search will reveal quite a bit of info. Not sure if they have an even newer tire, as the Kanine was just released this spring..

Joel The Biker
11-10-2020, 05:40 PM
Nice looking tire! https://www.2wheel.com/kenda-kr20-kanine-front-tire.html?sku=0301-0825&gclid=CjwKCAiAkan9BRAqEiwAP9X6UUlKm2wUbahlOEsyFScR nV3SCNMZtgVyvWLaA1_8du-G2PiXn8LNnxoCIJ4QAvD_BwE

troop
11-10-2020, 05:43 PM
Lot of input. Spend a day reading...

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-10-2020, 07:15 PM
Looking for reviews on these new tires...pro and con. Kanine KR20.

After reading ( possibly ALL ) the reviews here and knowing how Kenda appears to have ONLY changed the Tread design, and not the Casing .... I believe it is basically the equal to the former Kenda tire ......ie another Crappy Kenda..... Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-10-2020, 07:38 PM
There are currently some beta testers out there. Since the Kanines are relatively new, I do not know current mileage or reviews.

Maybe we could ask some of the beta testers to chime in with current mileage and condition???

I have car tires on one of mine and my new 2019 F3 only has 10K on the OEM Kendas. So..............I am no help there.

:bbq:

MONK
11-10-2020, 08:28 PM
I'll keep the stock Kendas on my bike for now. They've got less than 1k miles and honestly, I just can't afford to drop yet another $500 for new tires. That being said, sooner rather than later, my bike WILL get car tires in all 3 positions.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-11-2020, 02:09 AM
I'll keep the stock Kendas on my bike for now. They've got less than 1k miles and honestly, I just can't afford to drop yet another $500 for new tires. That being said, sooner rather than later, my bike WILL get car tires in all 3 positions.

$500.00 :gaah:...You do realize that the Michelin " PILOT " tires don't come in Spyder sizes ....... Mike :thumbup:

lvmyspyder
11-11-2020, 02:27 AM
I studied the tread design on both the OEM and the Kanine and the Kanine is different and I almost bought them, but I did not review any differences in the internal construction, which would impact the performance I would suspect. To me it would be worth getting rid of the annoying wobble I get on the the OEM Kenda's that I have had balanced and also put in 2oz of dynabeads as a last resort to try and get them to balance and everything I have done has helped, but it's still there at certain speeds. After reading about 43 positive results from people who have installed the Federal Formoza AZ01, I am going to give those a try. Spent about $100 to get 2 shipped to me. Only ordered them off the web on Sunday, so should be here soon. Honestly, to get this machine to run smoothly, I would pay double that per tire if I had to, to get things to smooth out. I can deal with some wandering, after all it is three tires trying to synch on the lousy Washington State roads, but that wobble is annoying.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-11-2020, 02:37 AM
I studied the tread design on both the OEM and the Kanine and the Kanine is different and I almost bought them, but I did not review any differences in the internal construction, which would impact the performance I would suspect. To me it would be worth getting rid of the annoying wobble I get on the the OEM Kenda's that I have had balanced and also put in 2oz of dynabeads as a last resort to try and get them to balance and everything I have done has helped, but it's still there at certain speeds. After reading about 43 positive results from people who have installed the Federal Formoza AZ01, I am going to give those a try. Spent about $100 to get 2 shipped to me. Only ordered them off the web on Sunday, so should be here soon. Honestly, to get this machine to run smoothly, I would pay double that per tire if I had to, to get things to smooth out. I can deal with some wandering, after all it is three tires trying to synch on the lousy Washington State roads, but that wobble is annoying.

First :congrats: & :welcome: .... and you'r new to the site so you found out the hard way about how crappy and poorly made the Kenda tires are...... I know of no other tire manufacturer that has a higher " Defective " rate than Kenda. I'm not fond of the Federal tires based on performance. .... but they will be way better than any Kenda..... PS, I highly recommend a tire pressure around 17 psi for the fronts ..... good luck ..... Mike :thumbup:

Steve W.
11-11-2020, 07:01 AM
After reading about 43 positive results from people who have installed the Federal Formoza AZ01, I am going to give those a try.
You will find "positive results" from those who have installed Federal.
You will find "positive results" from those who have installed General.
You will find "positive results" from those who have installed Yokohama.
You will find "positive results" from those who have installed Vredestein.
You will find "positive results" from those who have installed many other brands.

Bottom line: ANYTHING is better than the stock tire (sorry, I can't even type the name).

MONK
11-11-2020, 07:24 AM
$500.00 :gaah:...You do realize that the Michelin " PILOT " tires don't come in Spyder sizes ....... Mike :thumbup:

Yes, sir. My local dealer charges $120 to replace both front tires (with any tires I choose) and another $120 to replace the rear tire. I figure another $260 for the tires themselves. That's $500. Well worth it, I'm sure, but my bank account has it's limits.

spyder01
11-11-2020, 07:54 AM
Yes, sir. My local dealer charges $120 to replace both front tires (with any tires I choose) and another $120 to replace the rear tire. I figure another $260 for the tires themselves. That's $500. Well worth it, I'm sure, but my bank account has it's limits.

120$ to replace the fronts is way too much,but the rear is much harder bc you have to deal with that belt.Ive got Vredsteins on front and a new Kanine on the back and they are all working well and smooth too.I remember when I had a Gold Wing I only got about 5k before the rear tire started howling and you had to replace the tires in a set or else it would have a low speed wobble.Now those tires were 500$ a pair installed.I had a Suzuki gs1100 that I took across the country when it was brand new,had to get a set of tires and an oil change in Wyoming and another set when I got back.I would say that maintaining a Spyder is much cheaper and less frequent .

troop
11-11-2020, 08:41 AM
My local family owned tire shop charged $25 per tire for R&R/balancing. Heck, check with local auto shops first :)

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-11-2020, 10:36 AM

OK - and Yes Stealers charge unreal prices .... However if you can remove the front wheels take them and your Auto tires to almost any Tire repair shop - they can and should be able to mount and balance them ..... Cost - about $20.00 to $30.00 ... and the satisfaction of DIYing .....Priceless :clap: ....... Mike :thumbup:

Michaelscs
11-11-2020, 10:48 AM
I'm not fond of the Federal tires based on performance. .... but they will be way better than any Kenda.....Mike :thumbup:

Not fond of Federal's based on performance.....Based on what? Have you run them? I have, and the performance was great and I ride hard, both wet & dry!!!

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-11-2020, 10:57 AM
Not fond of Federal's based on performance.....Based on what? Have you run them? I have, and the performance was great and I ride hard, both wet & dry!!!

Yes, I have tried / used Federals ..... and truth be told - before anyone used an Auto tire , there was little if any complaints about the Crapenda's :roflblack:.... I bought my first Spyder ( an 08 GS ) in 09, and soon after made the switch to an Auto tire ( this occurred before I found this site )...... Mike :thumbup:

Peteoz
11-11-2020, 06:36 PM
OK - and Yes Stealers charge unreal prices .... However if you can remove the front wheels take them and your Auto tires to almost any Tire repair shop - they can and should be able to mount and balance them ..... Cost - about $20.00 to $30.00 ... and the satisfaction of DIYing .....Priceless :clap: ....... Mike :thumbup:

An alternative to this is actually getting your auto tyre shop to order the tyres for you, Mike. This has a major benefit of establishing a good relationship with them, plus they usually don’t charge you to R&R the tyres when you bring the wheels in.......win/win for all. :thumbup:

Pete

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-11-2020, 07:39 PM
An alternative to this is actually getting your auto tyre shop to order the tyres for you, Mike. This has a major benefit of establishing a good relationship with them, plus they usually don’t charge you to R&R the tyres when you bring the wheels in.......win/win for all. :thumbup:

Pete

:agree: that method has benefits ...But IMHO the folks who sell Auto Tires won't sell you tires to put on a Spyder ( legalities etc. ).... annnnnnnnnnnnnd they won't have a clue as to the Brand and Model to use..... They don't care that the Spyder has " J " bead wheels and tires on it and an Auto tire is a " J " bead tire. If you've been able to work this out with shops on your side of the Pond then :clap::clap::clap: .... Folks here have been DENIED tires from sellers because they said they were going on a Spyder/ motorcycle ....... Mike :thumbup:

Michaelscs
11-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Yes, I have tried / used Federals ..... and truth be told - before anyone used an Auto tire , there was little if any complaints about the Crapenda's :roflblack:.... I bought my first Spyder ( an 08 GS ) in 09, and soon after made the switch to an Auto tire ( this occurred before I found this site )...... Mike :thumbup:

You still haven't said what performance aspects of Federal tires you didn't like.

glennm
11-11-2020, 09:07 PM
:agree: that method has benefits ...But IMHO the folks who sell Auto Tires won't sell you tires to put on a Spyder ( legalities etc. ).... annnnnnnnnnnnnd they won't have a clue as to the Brand and Model to use..... They don't care that the Spyder has " J " bead wheels and tires on it and an Auto tire is a " J " bead tire. If you've been able to work this out with shops on your side of the Pond then :clap::clap::clap: .... Folks here have been DENIED tires from sellers because they said they were going on a Spyder/ motorcycle ....... Mike :thumbup:

I have dealt with our local tyre shop for years and spent thousands on tires. When I asked about tires for the Spyder they hesitated......I then repeated the mantra from here "you can only put car tires on it as it is J bead, you can't fit a motorcycle tire to it legally". They still didn't seemed convinced and as I wasn't ready to order then and there I cut the conversation short. I wasn't in the mood for an argument especially as I had a vehicle in there getting new tires and had better things to do with my time.

Due to border closures I was staying with my daughter so I ordered the tires then took the wheels in to the local dealer in Toowoomba (same chain). Only issue was they couldn't balance them so off to a local bike shop and $20 later all done. Needless to say next time round the Toowoomba dealer will get the nod.

JP58
11-11-2020, 10:51 PM
I have had the Federal Formoza AZ01on both my 15 RTS and now my 18 F3L. They handle great wet and dry and I push them to the point that I tick off the nanny. Never had them break loose and they ride very smoothly on straight and curves. Great tire for the price.

Peteoz
11-11-2020, 11:51 PM
I have dealt with our local tyre shop for years and spent thousands on tires. When I asked about tires for the Spyder they hesitated......I then repeated the mantra from here "you can only put car tires on it as it is J bead, you can't fit a motorcycle tire to it legally". They still didn't seemed convinced and as I wasn't ready to order then and there I cut the conversation short. I wasn't in the mood for an argument especially as I had a vehicle in there getting new tires and had better things to do with my time.

Due to border closures I was staying with my daughter so I ordered the tires then took the wheels in to the local dealer in Toowoomba (same chain). Only issue was they couldn't balance them so off to a local bike shop and $20 later all done. Needless to say next time round the Toowoomba dealer will get the nod.

Yeah, it’s a real bugger when a well supported business isn’t prepared to go out of their way for you, Glenn....even it is just a little bit out of their way. it all comes down to the individual in the shop. All I said to the local foreman was “have a look at the Kendas....are they car tyres or motorcycle tyres?” He replied.....”hmmmmmm.... those Kendas are certainly car tyres alright.....and the Kuhmo has far better ratings”. He ordered Kuhmos for me, installed them, and didn’t balance them as his smaller balancer was broken and waiting for parts. He said that most good tyres these days are pretty well balanced as long as you align the tyre dot to the wheel valve stem, but if there was a problem, bring them back in and he’d balance them. He was right...... and same as you with your Toowoomba dealer, he is now getting all our business ������

Pete

acdcking12
11-12-2020, 08:07 AM
I have almost 7K miles on my Kanine's and love them. Tight corners, great handling, smooth ride. Very happy with them. I can't tell that they have any miles at all on them. Well worth it. Much Much better than the original Kendas

Anjill
11-12-2020, 08:21 AM
Do the Kanines come in 14" to fit the older Spyders?

Dennis in Lodi
11-12-2020, 08:37 AM

At my local shop the regular staff wouldn't change my tires. Too concerned about liability. The owner has changed mine several times. No different on the machine than any other change out. Still even though the younger staff watched they still want the boss to do it. I add 2 ounces of balance beads with every change on all motor cycle tires. I always forget the beads are in the old tires until there is a bit of a mess on the shop floor. No balancing required and my ride is glass smooth. I know some forum members say the beads clump up and cause problems, but that has never been an issue for me in Wisconsin even with the extreme temperature changes.
Bottom line, tell them to relax and just do it. Nothing is any different on the tire machine.
Dennis

Dudley
11-12-2020, 11:19 PM
I have almost 7K miles on my Kanine's and love them. Tight corners, great handling, smooth ride. Very happy with them. I can't tell that they have any miles at all on them. Well worth it. Much Much better than the original Kendas

Thank you. You were the only one that answered my question. I got 31,000 miles on the original front tires in 3 years. 30k is as long as I keep the front tires, or 3 years. Had my 30K service done and tires installed today. Will bring it home tomorrow.

troop
11-13-2020, 09:08 AM
At my local shop the regular staff wouldn't change my tires. Too concerned about liability. The owner has changed mine several times. No different on the machine than any other change out. Still even though the younger staff watched they still want the boss to do it. I add 2 ounces of balance beads with every change on all motor cycle tires. I always forget the beads are in the old tires until there is a bit of a mess on the shop floor. No balancing required and my ride is glass smooth. I know some forum members say the beads clump up and cause problems, but that has never been an issue for me in Wisconsin even with the extreme temperature changes.
Bottom line, tell them to relax and just do it. Nothing is any different on the tire machine.
Dennis

Who's your local shop?

Dennis in Lodi
11-13-2020, 07:05 PM
Lodi Shell. Small little 3 tech shop.

MONK
11-13-2020, 08:55 PM

Only seen them in 15" RT/F3 sizes. IMHO, it wouldn't be worth it to spend much time searching for them in an alternate size, even if made in that size. I haven't had either of my RTs long enough to need new rubber but I've read enough on this forum to already realize when I need new tires (and probably before), I'm getting a set of car tires. As others have said, the traction is better, they wear longer and they're cheaper. I just don't see a downside to this.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-14-2020, 12:24 AM

BRP stopped using 14inch wheels / tires over 5 years ago .... I have doubts that the new Kanine's will be made in that size ..... However a tire that I highly recommend ( along with many other folks here ) are the Vredestein Quatrac 5's ...... and they do make an excellent 14" tire, in a couple of sizes to fit our Spyders ...... Mike :thumbup:

nightcruiser
11-23-2020, 08:08 PM
Just a thought, I use RIDE-ON for balancing and puncture proof my tires. use the car formula. You'll be pleasantly surprised I believe. 12 oz in the front and 14 in the back. Please verify amounts with company.