PDA

View Full Version : easy fix

smokster
08-24-2009, 10:03 AM
My bike still sputters alittle after all the update and lost my after market 02 sensor. It is better, but not perfect.

Someone told me to disconnect the battery cables (neg first, then positive) while disconnected hold the cables against each other for 45 seconds. Then connect.
It is suppose to force the system to relearn and go back to the correct way.

Anyone here of this method?

Big Arm
08-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Someone told me to disconnect the battery cables (neg first, then positive) while disconnected hold the cables against each other for 45 seconds. Then connect.

:hun: Not hardley !!! Even disconnecting the battery on this latest update don't help.

patches
08-24-2009, 10:10 AM
That is a first. I would think this practice would be discouraged as there is still power left in the bike after you take off the battery but don't know.

Lamonster
08-24-2009, 10:26 AM
My bike still sputters alittle after all the update and lost my after market 02 sensor. It is better, but not perfect.

If you're standing on your left foot while doing this it will clear the + side of the computer, if you're standing on your right foot it will clear the - side of the computer. If you are standing on both feet all the power will go to ground and it may short out your wiffle valve. :joke:

BLACK WIDOW
08-24-2009, 10:32 AM

I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but that sounds like a Myth to me.:D Probably won't do any harm.:spyder:

Michael:doorag:

BLACK WIDOW
08-24-2009, 10:39 AM
If you're standing on your left foot while doing this it will clear the + side of the computer, if you're standing on your right foot it will clear the - side of the computer. If you are standing on both feet all the power will go to ground and it may short out your wiffle valve. :joke:

That's pretty good!!:roflblack:

smokster
08-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I know it sounded crazy, this is why I posted it.
It was a BRP tech that told me this.

Magic Man
08-24-2009, 11:02 AM
I know it sounded crazy, this is why I posted it.

OH! A "BRP Tech" told you. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

MM

NancysToy
08-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Don't forget to hold your mouth right! :joke:

fastfraser
08-24-2009, 01:27 PM
:opps: Lamonster has a Wiffle Valve? I didn't see a post or a how to, to install a Wiffle Valve.:dontknow: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Firefly
08-24-2009, 01:37 PM
I think the idea here was to dissipate any lingering voltage in the system---- so you're just trying to speed up the process.

Easier to just unhook it all and go have a few beers---- come back in an hour and that is just as good.

QuadManiac
08-24-2009, 01:42 PM
With a whiffle valve controlling the reverse flow through a flux capacitor, the performance can be frightening!

Seriously, from my cursory looks at the :spyder2:'s electrical schematics, it appears as if disconnecting the battery (and then shorting the leads together) should have no effect on the fuel map.

retread
08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Spyders got wiffle valves? Wow, I didn't even know they wiffled.;)

john

BeRight
08-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Be prepared for a spark - may be come caps with voltage hanging around.

I read somewhere-which means very little-that the procedure for putting on aftermarket exhaust is: disconnect positive lead to battery for 1 hour+, reconnect, start bike do not touch throttle and let idle for 15 min, turn bike off for 15 min. Start bike and ride on.

bjt
08-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Be prepared for a spark - may be come caps with voltage hanging around.

I read somewhere-which means very little-that the procedure for putting on aftermarket exhaust is: disconnect positive lead to battery for 1 hour+, reconnect, start bike do not touch throttle and let idle for 15 min, turn bike off for 15 min. Start bike and ride on.

In the Hindle install instructions, they state that after installing the Hindle you must start and run the Spyder at idle for 15 minutes to season the pipe and then stop the Spyder and let it cool for 15 minutes before riding. I believe there was a warning that damage could occur (to the Hindle, engine, ???) if the procedure wasn't followed. I think that the disconnecting the battery step was added by those of us who think that it helps to reset the fuel mapping.

Firefly
08-24-2009, 04:39 PM
In the Hindle install instructions, they state that after installing the Hindle you must start and run the Spyder at idle for 15 minutes to season the pipe and then stop the Spyder and let it cool for 15 minutes before riding. I believe there was a warning that damage could occur (to the Hindle, engine, ???) if the procedure wasn't followed. I think that the disconnecting the battery step was added by those of us who think that it helps to reset the fuel mapping.

The battery disconnect thing came from Ken @ Evoluzione---- at least that is where I first heard of it.

Mo Lee
08-24-2009, 06:23 PM

Be real careful doing this can boil out all of your blinker fluid and melt the lubricant out of your muffler bearing.

mrb
08-24-2009, 06:39 PM

No thanks!! My wiffle is short enough as it is.:joke:

Smylinacha
08-24-2009, 07:14 PM

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

BRPjunkie
08-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Flux capacitor, what an idea. Time to remake "Back to the Future" using a Spyder instead of a Delorean.

Roaddog2
08-24-2009, 07:27 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:Smylinacha and HDX are from a town in CT.were Wiffle Balls are made I'm pretty sure they are also the fine maker of Wiffle Valves so they can get one asap for you just were some sort of eye protection and go for it :thumbup:

Smylinacha
08-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Smylinacha and HDX are from a town in CT.were Wiffle Balls are made I'm pretty sure they are also the fine maker of Wiffle Valves so they can get one asap for you just were some sort of eye protection and go for it :thumbup:

:2thumbs:

Roaddog2
08-24-2009, 07:37 PM
I got Roaddog to do it while he was wearing his aluminum foil hat.......:doorag:Foil Hat and Eye protection and pinch off the wiffle valve will run like a Spastic Rabbitt for a few miles and then will transform into a Hummingbird :ani29:

No offense to Dudley or Kjen in any way shape or form :ani29:
but your Rabbitt comment was the best desription yet :ohyea:

Smylinacha
08-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Foil Hat and Eye protection and pinch off the wiffle valve will run like a Spastic Rabbitt for a few miles and then will transform into a Hummingbird :ani29:

No offense to Dudley or Kjen in any way shape or form :ani29:
but your Rabbitt comment was the best desription yet :ohyea:

:2thumbs::clap::2thumbs::roflblack:

Yes, I loved Dudley's Spastic Rabbit quote too!

3wheeldemon
08-24-2009, 10:10 PM

A BRP tech told me that only the users that do not thoroughly read the safety card before pressing the M button are having sputtering problems:spyder:

3WD

Big Arm
08-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Sounds like BRP better start new inteviews for some new reps. nojoke

smokster
08-24-2009, 10:18 PM
all good jokes but I am sick of my bike sputtering after this %^$%& update.
I took it up into the mountains (ortega hwy) at some elevation and it ran worse...does elevation have anything to do with the unit running rich?

BajaRon
08-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Spyders got wiffle valves? Wow, I didn't even know they wiffled.;)

john

Only if the Wiffle valve is defective... :D

But if you're not careful with this proceedure you can fry your Degaussing Relay! :yikes:

BajaRon
08-24-2009, 10:59 PM

Lamont, you forgot to list the special safety precautions required for anyone having dentures or a glass eye! The BRP tech was very clear about this!

Remember? He was the guy we met working the night shift at McDonalds.

It's a good thing he told us about his day job as a top troubleshooter for BRP. I'd have never guessed!

I remember him explaining how he specalized in Spyder issues. Too bad he was only certified to troubleshoot the Yellow ones

Since mine is Silver and you painted yours he wasn't able to help either of us. What a let down...

I remember the fries were cold too....:mad:

Lamonster
08-25-2009, 09:53 AM
all good jokes but I am sick of my bike sputtering after this %^$%& update.
I took it up into the mountains (ortega hwy) at some elevation and it ran worse...does elevation have anything to do with the unit running rich?

Have you tried pinching off the line to your purge valve????

smokster
08-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Have you tried pinching off the line to your purge valve????
I do not know where this purge valve is, sorry.

Lamonster
08-25-2009, 11:15 AM
I do not know where this purge valve is, sorry.
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

smokster
08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huC0pXtPcug)
Very nice, thanks
I took it into the dealer this morning.
Funny how they do not even say that the update had anything to do with fuel, just steering. "Don't believe what you read on those forums" is what they tell you. You guys know more than they do!
Thanks Lamont