PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Spyder Accident Thread?

Firefly
08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
What happened to the Aussie Spyder accident thread???

Lamonster
08-24-2009, 09:44 AM
This is what he wrote.

Thread deleted by mrb (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=1132)
Reason: The newspaper report was not accurate and we need to wait to see what the fault really was

incy
08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
both myself and my girlfriend had the updates on friday......

i am unsure if i like the change as it felt very light as opposed to the muscling i have gotten use to.......it made me feel a little uneasy riding through the twisties.....20k riding the old way but hopefully in time i will learn to ride the new way.......

as for our friend she and her daughter are now in hospital both in intensive care......basic reports are the bike did not turn and went air born over the cliff...wont know more until investigations are finished.......and the riders are able to give some more details........the witness said the bike didnt turn and just went straight over......the lady riding mentioned at the hospital when she was awake very briefly that it wouldnt turn however she did not elaborate due to the heavy pain medication ........there were no skid marks.....no evidence of any braking........the road showed no evidence of an accident......just lucky someone saw it as it went straight through the corner and over the edge

will keep you updated.....hopefully it has nothing to do with the update done 2 days ago

links below to an article and photo gallery which is more acurate about the accident

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/08/24/111305_gold-coast-news.html

http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup.php?category_id=7765&offset=14 (http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup.php?category_id=7765&offset=14)

BLACK WIDOW
08-24-2009, 10:20 AM

i am unsure if i like the change as it felt very light as opposed to the muscling i have gotten use to.......it made me feel a little uneasy riding through the twisties.....20k riding the old way but hopefully in time i will learn to ride the new way.......

as for our friend she and her daughter are now in hospital both in intensive care......basic reports are the bike did not turn and went air born over the cliff...wont know more until investigations are finished.......and the riders are able to give some more details........the witness said the bike didnt turn and just went straight over......the lady riding mentioned at the hospital when she was awake very briefly that it wouldnt turn however she did not elaborate due to the heavy pain medication ........there were no skid marks.....no evidence of any braking........the road showed no evidence of an accident......just lucky someone saw it as it went straight through the corner and over the edge

will keep you updated.....hopefully it has nothing to do with the update done 2 days ago

links below to an article and photo gallery which is more acurate about the accident

http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup.php?category_id=7765&offset=14 (http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/photo-gallery/photo_gallery_popup.php?category_id=7765&offset=14)

Could just be Pilot Error!! Good that they made it through, and will hopefully be ok.

Michael:doorag:

Firefly
08-24-2009, 10:42 AM

Thanks for posting Incy--- hope your friends pull out of this okay! Send them our best wishes for a full recovery.

vt228
08-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks for posting Incy--- hope your friends pull out of this okay! Send them our best wishes for a full recovery.
hope they get better and if you find out what coused it to do it let us all no so we can check and look for sighns

Roaddog2
08-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Wish your friends a speedy recovery as well :pray:

DynamoBT
08-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Hope they recover fully and quickly.

Smylinacha
08-24-2009, 07:22 PM
I hope they heal up soon! Please keep us posted on things.

barb36jack31
08-27-2009, 04:00 PM
My deepest condolences. We all pray they will have a speedy and complete recovery.

Spyder Bitten Duo
08-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Hope they have a speedy recovery. Wish them well from us.
Ron

incy
08-27-2009, 08:10 PM
I HAVE BEEN UPDATED ABOUT THE ACCIDENT

THEY HAVE FOUND SOME BRAKE MARKS WHICH IS A RELIEF......NOW THEY MAY BE ABLE TO PIECE TOGETHER A SCENARIO OF WHAT MAY HAVE HAPPENED

THE DAUGHTER IS AWAKE AND NO LONGER IN ICU

THE RIDER IS STILL IN ICU WITH A MULTIPLE OF INJURIES.

POLICE ARE INVESTIGATING THE ACCIDENT BUT AS YET NO OUTCOME ABOUT WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.

THE RIDER IN FRONT OF THEM WAS DOING ABOUT 50 - 60KM ON AN OLD CRUISER AND NOTICED IN HIS MIRROR THE SPYDER AS IT WENT OVER THE ENBANKMENT.

HE PULLED OVER IMMEDIATELY AND FLAGGED DOWN A MOTORIST. THEY CLIMBED DOWN TO THE RIDERS AND DID WHAT THEY COULD TILL EMERGENCY SERVICES ARRIVED.

LUCKY FOR THE RIDERS THAT LANTANA ( A NOXIOUS WEED IN OZ)WAS GROWING THICK DOWN THE SIDE OF THE CLIFF AS THIS ENTANGLED IN SPYDER AND MAY HAVE PREVENTED A MUCH WORSE RESULT

ALL OF THE EMERGENCY SERVICES THAT ATTENDED THE SCENE WERE ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC

WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW MORE ONCE WE DO

DannyS
08-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Thank you Incy I will keep your frinds in mind.
Danny

RoadHammer
08-27-2009, 09:03 PM
darn i missed this thread.......:opps:

SpyderGirl
08-28-2009, 03:59 PM
I hope they heal quickly. I know all about having my bike going down into a ravine (I had an accident on my 2 wheeler on this past Sunday). That sure is scary stuff!

incy
08-30-2009, 08:20 AM
sorry to hear about your off......hope you not injured to badly

BajaRon
08-30-2009, 04:05 PM
I HAVE BEEN UPDATED ABOUT THE ACCIDENT

THEY HAVE FOUND SOME BRAKE MARKS WHICH IS A RELIEF......NOW THEY MAY BE ABLE TO PIECE TOGETHER A SCENARIO OF WHAT MAY HAVE HAPPENED

THE DAUGHTER IS AWAKE AND NO LONGER IN ICU

THE RIDER IS STILL IN ICU WITH A MULTIPLE OF INJURIES.

POLICE ARE INVESTIGATING THE ACCIDENT BUT AS YET NO OUTCOME ABOUT WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.

THE RIDER IN FRONT OF THEM WAS DOING ABOUT 50 - 60KM ON AN OLD CRUISER AND NOTICED IN HIS MIRROR THE SPYDER AS IT WENT OVER THE ENBANKMENT.

HE PULLED OVER IMMEDIATELY AND FLAGGED DOWN A MOTORIST. THEY CLIMBED DOWN TO THE RIDERS AND DID WHAT THEY COULD TILL EMERGENCY SERVICES ARRIVED.

LUCKY FOR THE RIDERS THAT LANTANA ( A NOXIOUS WEED IN OZ)WAS GROWING THICK DOWN THE SIDE OF THE CLIFF AS THIS ENTANGLED IN SPYDER AND MAY HAVE PREVENTED A MUCH WORSE RESULT

ALL OF THE EMERGENCY SERVICES THAT ATTENDED THE SCENE WERE ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC

WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW MORE ONCE WE DO

Very sorry to hear about the accident. I hope they recover quickly.

It is interesting that there were skid marks. You can't get the Spyder to skid much as the Nanny won't allow it. Unless the skid was lateral.

The main thing now is for the 2 passingers to get better.

ataDude
08-30-2009, 04:34 PM
... It is interesting that there were skid marks. You can't get the Spyder to skid much as the Nanny won't allow it. Unless the skid was lateral.

I was just thinking about that, Ron. A working ABS system might put down a few, very short, intermittent marks in dirt or gravel, but probably not on pavement.

I've actually tried to put mine in a skid before (to see how it handled) and it just won't do it.

Hope the riders are still progressing toward recovery.

incy
08-31-2009, 02:50 AM
Very sorry to hear about the accident. I hope they recover quickly.

It is interesting that there were skid marks. You can't get the Spyder to skid much as the Nanny won't allow it. Unless the skid was lateral.

The main thing now is for the 2 passingers to get better.

that is why i said brake marks and not skid marks ........

atadude was right in saying the abs system may put down a few very short intermittent marks in dirt or gravel......and it will also do it on bitument........

abs works by releasing and then tightening of the braking system to enable the person to keep control under extreme braking conditions........

(lucky for me my hubby is a mechanic and can explain all of these things to me so i can undertand how it all works)

but if you just google "what is a skid mark with abs" you will find all the answers.......here is one comment i found

ABS equipped vehicles do indeed leave skid marks. The typical ABS skid looks the same as a regular skid mark except a little lighter and interrupted in a close pattern by the rapid locking and release of the brakes. It looks just like a "dashed" line. Look for yourself at intersections. You will see them everywhere

i guess facing a cliff on the side of a mountain probably cant be replicated for the sake of it.......so under these circumstances one would imagine you would try anything and everything to stop yourself from going over

thanks for the well wishes