PDA

View Full Version : Help!

porboy
08-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Ok here's my problem. I keep blowing 10 amp fuses, been through about 8 so far. The fuse is for my tail light/brake light/mud flap lights. This is what I have added to my 2008 SM5 so far. Installed mudflap lights, they worked fine. Installed 12V outlet it also was working fine. Came home after about an 80 mile ride and noted the mud flap lights were out, changed the fuse, it blew, changed it again same result, did this several times. Disconnected the 12V outlet (put it back to original). Still blowing fuses. I'm the process of checking the connections on the mudflap lights to make sure nothing came loose. The only other thing I have added is the Bushtec trailer hitch only, (no wiring so far). When the fuses first started blowing it wasn't right away, I could at least start the bike and then it would blow. Now as soon as I put in a new fuses and turn the key on I can hear the fuses pop. Any suggestions?:dontknow:

NancysToy
08-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Obvious short circuit somewhere. If your 12V outlet is on the accessory circuit fed by the 3 amp fuse, that is not likely the problem, but didn't you say before that you had to put a bigger fuse in that to get it to work? That meant there was a problem. Pull that fuse and see if the fuse blowing clears. Could have circuits crossed somewhere, like connecting one side to the accessory circuit, and the other to the light circuit instead of the correct ground. Second step would be to disconnect the mudlflap lights and test. Not many go bad, but it's remotely possible. If necessary, disconnect your 12V outlet and test. Gotta work backwards on these problems.

Latemarch
08-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Got a multimeter? If not pick up a cheap one (or a nice one if you like) at Radio Shack.

Without the fuse in, key on, multimeter set to vDC, one side will register 12v between that and ground.

Now change the meter to Ohms and check the other side to ground. (The frame is a good ground site.) If it's only a few Ohms then you've got a short to ground. (This only confirms what you almost certainly have.) Might be in an added light or might be a wire rubbed thru. Then it's just a matter of disconnecting things until the Ohms go up and you will have tracked down where the problem is.

Lamonster
08-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Sounds like you ran your mudflap light wire in the grove of the fender and pinched the wire.

bjt
08-23-2009, 10:45 PM
I would start by disconnecting your mudflap lights from where ever you tapped them into. Then inspect those wires closely from the connection end all the way to the mudflap light end to see if you skinned the wire anywhere while installing them. Unless you tied the 12 volt outlet into the light circuit, that should not have any effect on blowing a lighting circuit fuse. Maybe one of the mudflap wires was pinched somewhere like lamonster says and after riding for a while, the pinch point wore through the insulation and now is shorting the hot wire to ground.

porboy
08-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for all the feed back, I'm starting with the mud flap light today, I'll let you know how it goes. And I did have a 3 amp fuse in the accessory slot, didn't use a bigger one. Any other suggestions, keep em coming.
Thanks

Magic Man
08-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Sounds like you ran your mudflap light wire in the grove of the fender and pinched the wire.

:agree::agree::agree:

Ask Bone Crusher how that works. :gaah:

MM

bone crusher
08-24-2009, 09:36 AM

MM

Low blow, low blow! Them be fightin' words!!! hehehehe! :doorag:

Lamonster
08-24-2009, 11:13 AM

MM

AKA Wire crusher :D
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/image.php?u=2365&dateline=1241876050 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=2365)

bone crusher
08-24-2009, 11:46 AM
AKA Wire crusher :D
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/image.php?u=2365&dateline=1241876050 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=2365)

Gee, thanks for the reminder...

Cool thing is that I was riding home from the dealership on Saturday...1.5 hr. drive in crazy thunderstorms...there were cars along the road stopped and here I was, stupid me, riding along...I got soaked, but no shorting out of anything.

I was so wet that when I got home and took off my boots, I poured water out of them...literally...

I only hydroplaned a few feet once and was very very careful, but I'm sure Evan's lights helped people see me...there was little visibility and here I was going over the Bay Bridge with lightning everywhere...there are low level areas in the Chesapeake watershed area and I was riding through a good inch or two of water for parts of the ride near the bridge.

Once a kid, always a kid...not so smart, but I was confident the Spyder could do it and I was happy I had all those LEDs around me! I don't plan on riding in that type of weather again...

I will say that the Spyder handles very well though...I am very impressed!!!!

porboy
08-24-2009, 11:52 AM
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: To everyone who responded thanks a bunch. All is well in Spydervill. It was a wire that had worn through (rubbing on the tire) on the right side mud flap. Someone:dontknow: didn't tie the wire down correctly.

Thanks again.

bone crusher
08-24-2009, 12:16 PM
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: To everyone who responded thanks a bunch. All is well in Spydervill. It was a wire that had worn through (rubbing on the tire) on the right side mud flap. Someone:dontknow: didn't tie the wire down correctly.

Thanks again.

Been there, done that...and then some! Glad all is good...enjoy the mudflaps...to me, they're the best light addition to the bike...so very cool!