PDA

View Full Version : Please post pictures Spyder City Risers

BeRight
08-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Please post installed pictures of your spyder city riser and your like no like.

Is it true that you loose the ability to lock steering wheel?

Thanks in advance

Brevet05
08-23-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure what you want a picture of. The Spyder City riser is like the BRP riser in that there isn't really any visible change to the handlebars, they just sit (in the case of the SC riser) 3" higher. You'd really have to have a stock model alongside to make a useful photo.

That said, I'm pleased with my purchase. They do take away the ability to lock the steering, so if that's critical, you'll have to look elsewhere. I generally hop off the Spyder, leaving it in gear, and move out smartly. I love it, but if someone decides to take it, that's why I pay Progressive.

The factors I used in deciding on the SC riser were simplicity of installation, effectiveness, cost effectiveness, and reversibility. My dealer installed it for free, so full score for simplicity; I did as you are, and asked folks who had it, and the several who responded to my PM all thought it was a good product at a fair price, so again good marks. There has been at least one buyer who wanted his money back for a riser he had trouble with, but I didn't follow up, as mine was in and operational by then. Its cost is very low compared to other 3" risers on the market, likely due to it's minimalist approach, so again good marks. Lastly, no Spyder parts were hurt (except zip ties:D) in the installation process, so were there a need to sell my Spyder (God forbid!), I could sell it to the full range of potential buyers, whether they wanted the riser or not. Long answer to a short question, sorry!

BillGargan
08-23-2009, 05:36 PM
I have the HeliBar riser and it does not eliminate the steering lock.

It raises the bar 1' and back 4.5".

czdaryle
08-23-2009, 08:16 PM
I have the HeliBar riser and it does not eliminate the steering lock.

It raises the bar 1' and back 4.5".

Wow 1' that is kinda like ape hangers:D

BeRight
08-23-2009, 08:18 PM
I just wanted to see what it looked like installed. Oh well!

aka1004
08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
yes you do loose the steering lock. they are working on it. i have not checked back with them for while thou. i will call them tomorrow.
i bought it with a promise of solution to get steering lock working again.
product itself is not pretty but it does the job and it gets hidden so raw finish does not bother me. i have the 2 incher.

Tom in NM
08-24-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm not sure what you want a picture of. The Spyder City riser is like the BRP riser in that there isn't really any visible change to the handlebars, they just sit (in the case of the SC riser) 3" higher. You'd really have to have a stock model alongside to make a useful photo.

That said, I'm pleased with my purchase. They do take away the ability to lock the steering, so if that's critical, you'll have to look elsewhere. I generally hop off the Spyder, leaving it in gear, and move out smartly. I love it, but if someone decides to take it, that's why I pay Progressive.

The factors I used in deciding on the SC riser were simplicity of installation, effectiveness, cost effectiveness, and reversibility. My dealer installed it for free, so full score for simplicity; I did as you are, and asked folks who had it, and the several who responded to my PM all thought it was a good product at a fair price, so again good marks. There has been at least one buyer who wanted his money back for a riser he had trouble with, but I didn't follow up, as mine was in and operational by then. Its cost is very low compared to other 3" risers on the market, likely due to it's minimalist approach, so again good marks. Lastly, no Spyder parts were hurt (except zip ties:D) in the installation process, so were there a need to sell my Spyder (God forbid!), I could sell it to the full range of potential buyers, whether they wanted the riser or not. Long answer to a short question, sorry!

. . . a great write-up Brevet05. Excellent points.

Tom

ElkSpyder
08-24-2009, 12:42 PM
yes you do loose the steering lock. they are working on it. i have not checked back with them for while thou. i will call them tomorrow.
i bought it with a promise of solution to get steering lock working again.
product itself is not pretty but it does the job and it gets hidden so raw finish does not bother me. i have the 2 incher.

Interested to hear if they have resolved the steering lock issue. That is the one thing keeping me from adding this mod. And the fact that the original bars are not cut is why I'm waiting to add the 2" to the BRP 1" already installed.

aka1004
08-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Interested to hear if they have resolved the steering lock issue. That is the one thing keeping me from adding this mod. And the fact that the original bars are not cut is why I'm waiting to add the 2" to the BRP 1" already installed.

got a email from ron with spydercity and risers are now in anodized finish and not the unfinished unit i have. bad news is they are still working on the steering lock and he is calling it fall/winter engineering project. :(

QuadManiac
08-24-2009, 01:09 PM
A couple of pics from my install... as said above, not much to see. Just look at the top of the stock BRP bar clamp and there it is. You'll notice that the angled bottom of the handlebar cover that, stock, almost touches the dashboard is now 3" above it. The change in riding comfort is impressive.

And, FYI, the :spyder2: steering shaft is at almost exactly 45 degrees, so (through simple trigonometry) the 3 inch increase in effective steering shaft length at 45 degrees actually equates to an approximate 2.1 inch rise (relative to vertical) and a 2.1" push back (relative to horizontal) of the handlebar grips.

A modification to add the steering lock should be quite simple, based upon my analysis so far. I assume that SC is just too busy at the moment to deal with it. I'll get around to it one of these days and post my results.

BeRight
08-24-2009, 04:41 PM
A couple of pics from my install... as said above, not much to see. Just look at the top of the stock BRP bar clamp and there it is. You'll notice that the angled bottom of the handlebar cover that, stock, almost touches the dashboard is now 3" above it. The change in riding comfort is impressive.

And, FYI, the :spyder2: steering shaft is at almost exactly 45 degrees, so (through simple trigonometry) the 3 inch increase in effective steering shaft length at 45 degrees actually equates to an approximate 2.1 inch rise (relative to vertical) and a 2.1" push back (relative to horizontal) of the handlebar grips.

A modification to add the steering lock should be quite simple, based upon my analysis so far. I assume that SC is just too busy at the moment to deal with it. I'll get around to it one of these days and post my results.

Thank You - GREAT PICTURES - you must have read my mine-just what I was looking for and unable to articulate:2thumbs:

I will buy these after steering lock mod is in, since I want to keep my stock bars which have BRP anti-vibe inserts (that work really well). Also, good to know that insert raises and pulls back handlebar-just what the doctor ordered.

QuadManiac
08-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Thank You - GREAT PICTURES - you must have read my mine-just what I was looking for and unable to articulate:2thumbs:

I will buy these after steering lock mod is in, since I want to keep my stock bars which have BRP anti-vibe inserts (that work really well). Also, good to know that insert raises and pulls back handlebar-just what the doctor ordered.

You're welcome, and yes, due to the angle of the steering shaft, you can assume that the riser effectively moves the bars closer in a straight line directly towards your head - contributing in both height and reach.