PDA

View Full Version : Potential Buyer - Time to Stay Clear of a Spyder

RCB
08-23-2009, 09:09 AM
I have been checking this forum and I was just about to buy a Spyder but after reading about recalls and fires I think I better forget the purchase and move on. I need to let my friends know about all these problems and save them from a major problem. Too bad these machines look cool and fun but with all the problem and a company that is not backing the problem.
It it time to stay clear. Thanks for saving me a bunch a money !!

BLACK WIDOW
08-23-2009, 09:19 AM
I have been checking this forum and I was just about to buy a Spyder but after reading about recalls and fires I think I better forget the purchase and move on. I need to let my friends know about all these problems and save them from a major problem. Too bad these machines look cool and fun but with all the problem and a company that is not backing the problem.

You know if you would read even the Honda Goldwing forums one would think that is was the worst machine ever built:yikes:. When is reality it's probably one of the best.nojoke

RCB
08-23-2009, 09:42 AM
I agree but have the goldwing motorcycles caught fire and been destoried. I cna deal with repairing parts but when lost by fire and the risk of injury is an issue is it really worth it!!

BajaRon
08-23-2009, 10:14 AM

When you find the perfect machine come back and let us know. Don't check the forum on whatever you get though, as you'll find it has problems too.

I'm having a lot of fun on my Spyder. I've ridden with several other people doing the same.

I'll keep mine! And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

LaughingHeart
08-23-2009, 10:23 AM
I have Spyder #731, so it is one of the early ones. I have had absolutely no problems with it at all, and I am having a ball with it. I knew when I bought it that it was a new machine and expected there might be a few glitches that would have to be worked out. So far I have had none and am amazed at how "right" they got it, for something so new. I would buy a new one in a heartbeat. I have been well supported by my dealer. I've noticed before that on a website you tend to hear a lot about what's wrong and not so much when people are happy.

RCB
08-23-2009, 10:24 AM
I understand I figure there is a 50% chance of getting a bad one and 50% chance it could be good. So, better to see if they actually fix the problems first. There are several people on the forum with Spyders that have burned up, broken rear fenders, engines blown out, running poorly, etc.
With only 10,000 of these out there it is just too many for such a small market. But hey if yours works I bet it is fun as hell !

docdoru
08-23-2009, 10:24 AM

I did cross the country coast to coast and south to north, 3X Iron Butt, 15 months and 50K miles. Tell that to your friends. :thumbup:

RCB
08-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Sounds like you are one of the lucky ones - Have fun out there

Firefly
08-23-2009, 10:28 AM
I agree but have the goldwing motorcycles caught fire and been destoried. I cna deal with repairing parts but when lost by fire and the risk of injury is an issue is it really worth it!!

Right now the Spyder fires are a hot topic(:roflblack:) out here - and people tend to talk about bad experiences more than good ones. While I'm really concerned about this issue - it wouldn't deter me from buying a Spyder. The number of fires is really small.

I really hope you can look beyond this issue and join the happy group of Spyder owners!

jodeg1945
08-23-2009, 10:33 AM
If you pass up buying a Spyder, you are really missing out on a wonderful ride! I've had my Spyder for almost a year now and LOVE it! I'd buy one again in a heartbeat!

As I just posted on another thread, it's the nature of these types of forums that people post with problems and questions, looking for answers. If everyone posted that they went for a ride, had no problems and had a great time, we probably wouldn't need the forum!

Just like the news media -- good news isn't news -- bad news is!

Sorry you're missing out -- ahhhhh what might have been!

NewRider
08-23-2009, 10:37 AM
My yellow SE5, serial number 0727, has been a dream come true. I have nothing but warm, radiant praise for "Bumblebee".

Spyders are a first-generation machine...yes, there will be some problems, but none that cannot be overcome. One of the purposes of forums like this are to share items of praise and problems. :chat: That way, we can solve them together...love them, or occasionally loathe them...Spyders and their riders are fiercely loyal to our machines.

If you and your friends are put off by teething problems of a new concept in motorcycles...and unwilling to share helping solve them, via BRP or otherwise...then do move on. You apparently have insufficient qualities to become a Spyder rider.:lecturef_smilie:

RCB
08-23-2009, 10:39 AM
I appreciate the input. I am going to call the manufacturer and see what they say. If they repsend positively and really back there product then I am going to look at it again.
Like I said daelign with repairs is no issue dealing with fires - wow not a good thing. I am surprised that the manufacturer has not taken a more aggressive approach to fix this. You know that if a car company had vehicles catching firer they would be off the road immediately.
So I will keep a positive outlook that it will be fixed and return to purchase soemday.
Good to hear that there are some doing well
I was going to buy a 2008 SE5 with low milage on it and the recall had just been done on it so now with the news of the recall causing potential problems I think sitting back and waiting to see is the best option. If these are good machines there will be plenty to buy in the future.

Firefly
08-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I appreciate the input. I am going to call the manufacturer and see what they say. If they repsend positively and really back there product then I am going to look at it again.
Like I said daelign with repairs is no issue dealing with fires - wow not a good thing. I am surprised that the manufacturer has not taken a more aggressive approach to fix this. You know that if a car company had vehicles catching firer they would be off the road immediately.
So I will keep a positive outlook that it will be fixed and return to purchase soemday.
I was going to buy a 2008 SE5 with low milage on it and the recall had just been done on it so now with the news of the recall causing potential problems I think sitting back and waiting to see is the best option. If these are good machines there will be plenty to buy in the future.

The real problem has been people not reporting these to the NHTSA. You would be surprised how many cars catch on fire---- I've seen many car fires - and those models are still on the road.

The steering issues were reported to the NHTSA - and BRP acted promptly and has provided a fix to the problem. The whole key is getting these reported - and thus far only 2 fires have been reported to the NHTSA.

Take a close look at the Spyder - go on some demo rides, hook up with some owners in your area--- I think you'll soon find the pro's will outweigh the cons .

Tom in NM
08-23-2009, 10:59 AM
I understand I figure there is a 50% chance of getting a bad one and 50% chance it could be good. So, better to see if they actually fix the problems first. There are several people on the forum with Spyders that have burned up, broken rear fenders, engines blown out, running poorly, etc.
With only 10,000 of these out there it is just too many for such a small market. But hey if yours works I bet it is fun as hell !

I am not sure where you are getting your 50/50 percentages of a "bad one". Do you have a source other than this forum and the usual forum chatter? As big as it is, this forum is not a valid sampling.

I also think you are overlooking the undeniable value of all the saved marriages, continuing friendships, side-stepped bar fights, saved jobs, pleasant gatherings, and general quality of life - if some of the posters here did not have this forum as an outlet to commiserate and speculate about their Spyder and the state of quality, service, dealerships, engineering and corporate practices. The world "out there" would be a very taxing place without it, even coming from the small number of people doing that here. You just try talking to your Significant Other about the ins and outs of stock shock absorbers ( on any vehicle of your choice ) for more than 2 hours in a day and you will see what I mean, IF you are not hurt very badly before you can go on that long. And don't even start on Motor Oil! Hospital bills and ostracism WILL occur. A lonely, painful, expensive world.

Why, look what it has done for you so far - you get to complain and sound knowledgeable without even owning one.

Seriously - Spyder ownership and community will PROBABLY give you more smiles and enjoyment than you can imagine. Do the test drives. Continue doing the homework. If the Spyder is for you - there is one out there with your name on it. And, it could save you a lot of pain in your personal life, on top of it.

Tom

vt228
08-23-2009, 11:06 AM

Don't bad mouth the Spyders mine is # 2436 all bikes have some flawrs in then. Honda ,Harley, BMW, Kawasaki, all brands have buggs some are ok some you fix My spyder is a SM5 and have been in for 3 things and she runs great new fan blows more air runs better. I know have 39,000 miles .tell friends don't miss a good rydeing bike . BRP is always reading this pages of spyder lovers . and if there was a BIG problem Lamonster would tell all ever sence I got my spyder I love to ride all over great on road and eye cetcher .Brp stands behind there spyders and fix's are small they keep on top of it and we all tell them what we find . Y/F Don vt228 (you can always take the BUS lol )

rattdaddy@netzero.
08-23-2009, 11:11 AM
my 08 is fine. brp has been fair with me i'm happy with my spyder.your thoughts on them mean zilch!!! go buy a car!!!!!:lecturef_smilie::roflblack::roflblack:

COOLMACHINE
08-23-2009, 11:14 AM
RCB,
These forums can be very helpful and like most forums, you can find or read into them what ever conclusion you want to come up with. It sounds to me you do not plan on buying a Spyder anytime soon and if this forum helped you make your decision, then this forum did it's job and you got out of it what you came looking for. However, if you came looking for the people who love their Spyder and have plenty of positive statements regarding them, you can certainly find them here as well. I just turned 11 thousand miles on my Spyder and love it. The link below was a thread Lamonster posted about putting whether you like or dislike your spyder on your signature. I liked this idea because it quickly displays our members thoughts on the Spyder Roadster. Good or bad.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13412

Hope you have a safe ride no matter what you ride. :thumbup:

RCB
08-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I am going to call the BRP Office and see how they are handling the issues that are rising. I am still trying to keep an open mind so I will see if they back their products and how they are handling the situations.
I left the forum for about a week to see if it was a one time thing but these concerns keep coming in.
I will also talk to my local dealer and see what is up, afterall they are the ones who told me to come here and find out how people are liking the Spyder.
Hey before I spend the money just want to know what is going on. I respect those who have responded. It is good to hear when owners are enjoying the Spyder with no problems. As I said the one I am looking at just had the recall and even the guy who is selling it to me is concerned that he might be selling a bad machine. So he is checking with his dealer first as well.
I apprecuate the input be it good or bad it helps find the soultion.

zzneonzz
08-23-2009, 12:05 PM
I am going to call the BRP Office and see how they are handling the issues that are rising. I am still trying to keep an open mind so I will see if they back their products and how they are handling the situations.
I left the forum for about a week to see if it was a one time thing but these concerns keep coming in.
I will also talk to my local dealer and see what is up, afterall they are the ones who told me to come here and find out how people are liking the Spyder.
Hey before I spend the money just want to know what is going on. I respect those who have responded. It is good to hear when owners are enjoying the Spyder with no problems. As I said the one I am looking at just had the recall and even the guy who is selling it to me is concerned that he might be selling a bad machine. So he is checking with his dealer first as well.

I have had my spyder for a year now and have 9k miles on it and still loving it. If you spend all your time worrying about what might happen you will miss out on a lot of great experiences.

If your buying used and he "Thinks" it could be a bad machine why buy it instead of buying new? Anytime you buy used you take a risk and if that risks scares you buy new.

3wheeldemon
08-23-2009, 12:08 PM
... I also think you are overlooking the undeniable value of all the saved marriages, continuing friendships, side-stepped bar fights, saved jobs, pleasant gatherings, and general quality of life - if some of the posters here did not have this forum as an outlet to commiserate and speculate about their Spyder and the state of quality, service, dealerships, engineering and corporate practices. ...Tom

:clap::roflblack: Great post Tom!:roflblack::2thumbs:

Just came back of a Houston reunion breakfast and ride. Everybody had a great time and was very happy with his Spyder.

3WD

BajaRon
08-23-2009, 12:11 PM

If the Spyder was really as bad as all this I would get rid of mine.

As I stated in another post, whatever you are driving/riding right now has had fires, recalls, dissatisfied owners, bad service, you name it. But how many people spend any time at all worrying about it? Very few.

That is because most people don't spend time reading posts in a forum focused on problems and issues. Instead, they just ride happy because they aren't having problems.

I am facinated by the number of people that have had no problems at all with their Spyder but have been convinced it is just a matter of time. I don't think the facts bear this out.

The recent update has really put a cloud over some people. My feeling is it is nothing more than an over active purge valve causing at least the lion's share of the problem. This is easily corrected. Sure, we shouldn't have to make the correction but still, as little effort as is required it's not a huge deal.

If I needed another Spyder right now I'd probably look for one that someone was having problems with. I'd get a great deal and with a small amount of work it would probably run like a top for a long time.

Look at it this way. If someone posts they have an issue there are 100 or more posts discussing it. Then someone starts another thread in a slightly different vein and the same 100 people post again.

If someone posts they had a great ride on their Spyder it may get a few congrats and that's it.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, just the way it is.

truck 85
08-23-2009, 12:11 PM

dose any one rember tha pinto and how long it took ford to deal with that it was way more than 4 or 5 cars over a couple of months

Dudley
08-23-2009, 12:12 PM

If you're looking for a near perfect machine, move on. You will never be happy with a Spyder. From the start you say you wanted one, but now you don't because of what you have read. 50/50 chance? With that in mind you should never leave your house because countless people die outside their homes each day. Better yet, maybe you ought to live in an underground bunker and never come out because the air is bad, you might get struct by lightning, or a car, maybe even a Spyder, you might get shot by someone, etc., etc. It is my belief that a Spyder rider has a greater chance of getting in an accident than his/her Spyder catching on fire. Also, anything made by man has flaws. We buy it because we want it or need it. We tend to it when it needs it and we use it when we need it. That's just the cycle of life.

zzneonzz
08-23-2009, 12:19 PM
dose any one rember tha pinto and how long it took ford to deal with that it was way more than 4 or 5 cars over a couple of months

Yup and so was the Ford Truck Recall that affected trucks across i believe 5-6 years and it amounted to 100+ fires.

RCB
08-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Very zen like comments. I understand once you buy something you want to defend the purchase, I would do the same, just looking at the machine as a purchase and the toss up of riding it versus it in the shop all the time.
I do not think it has to do with life and death issues just common sense buying vs. an emotional purchase.
Like I said it is great you love it if you do I am just looking for honest responses and you have all done that
Thanks - any other comments -
Like has BRP replaced and backed these Spyders that catch fire, if yes and they are backing their products then I would buy but have not heard that comment made.
So, of the seven that caught fire how many has BRP backed and replaced?

Frig
08-23-2009, 12:32 PM
I bought a Mazda RX8 the first year they came out. I've had more problems with that than my Spyder. If you're going to buy something "new", then you just have to be willing to deal with some issues. I'm happy with both purchases overall. My Spyder dealer on the other hand????????????????????

Lamonster
08-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say this again. Forums are kind of like a doctors office, people don't go there to talk about how good they feel very often, they mostly go there to talk about a problem they are having. I would say all people are defective if I only went by what I heard and saw at a doctors office.

I've put more miles in a shorter amout of time on my Spyder than I have any of my motorcycles that I've ever owned including quite a few Honda's.

In 40,000+ miles I've spun one wheel bearing and that was covered. If you ask me it is just as well made as any of my Honda's.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=5447

RCB
08-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the input but no one has answered the question does BPR
back this spyders that have caught fire that really what I want to know. I can deal with the repairs and updates.
I think there have been seven fires and these are easy to find just google them.
But there is nothing about the company backing the product. It would be great if a representative spoke here in the forum and said yes we will back these Spyder owners whose bikes catch fire that was really what I was looking for.
I do appreciate the input and I will them directly and see what the response is. I was just hoping that a rep here could speak for the company
My local dealer sent me here saying this was a great place to get feedback as it is BPR hosted.
Thanks Again

BajaRon
08-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Very zen like comments. I understand once you buy something you want to defend the purchase,

Not sure how much "Zen" I'm carrying around and I certainly don't need to defend my purchase.

Everyone makes bad purchases in their life. I bought a Datsun B-210 once. Should have known better. Never tried to defend that purchase.

If I have problems with my Spyder I don't have any problems saying so. If there is something I don't like about my Spyder I don't try to hide it.

I must admit, I'm not really sure what Zen is...But I know I like my Spyder. Hated it when I first got it for about 300 miles. And I have said so. Was I Un-Zen'd then?

Once I finally got used to the Spyder I love it (No Zen intended). I have a Suzuki M109R which I like a lot. Yet all my miles have been on the Spyder since I got it.

It is just as unreasonabe to beat up the Spyder unnecessarily as it would be to give it unrealistic praise.

Someone can like their Spyder without having an ulterior motive.

Dudley
08-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Has any automotive company bought back a fired vehicle? I carry full coverage insurance on our Spyder to cover any loses that may occur. And again, 6 or 7 fires out of over 10,000 Spyders is not a epidemic. You want a Spyder or not? That's your decision to make. We can input all day long on your thread, but we will never be able to make your decision. IMO if your are still stuck on the fire issue, don't buy one. You can't see the forest for the trees.

jimmykjimmy
08-23-2009, 01:10 PM
I love my Spydie my Spydie loves me. Forums like this only alert to potential problems. If you read most car blogs, forums, reviews you'd be riding a bicycle all of your life (and even they get bum raps)
I love my Spydie my Spydie love me!:yes:

BajaRon
08-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Has any automotive company bought back a fired vehicle?

Exactly what I thought when I saw that statement. Give us a list of the burnt vehicles that manufacturers have bought back.:dontknow:

If this is a requirement before you purchase from any manufacturer, you may be walking.

But I'm a live and let live kind of guy. Since we will both have ended up with the transportation mode of our choice, I'll wave to you as I glide by on my Spyder! :ohyea:

fastfraser
08-23-2009, 01:12 PM

:2thumbs: Love the :spyder2: buy another one in a heart beat. There isn't any machine built that won't break or one that can't be fixed. The :spyder2: is new cutting edge technology. Live with it or move on. Don't be bad mouthen something you know nothing about.

higgy
08-23-2009, 01:13 PM

who r u ? do u even know what u r talking about? if u did know i would say the exact opposite because they r working on the minor problems! thank you for that B.R.P.

very proud and happy Spyder owner !!!!!
:spyder2:

Lamonster
08-23-2009, 01:14 PM
back this spyders that have caught fire that really what I want to know. I can deal with the repairs and updates.
I think there have been seven fires and these are easy to find just google them.
But there is nothing about the company backing the product. It would be great if a representative spoke here in the forum and said yes we will back these Spyder owners whose bikes catch fire that was really what I was looking for.
I do appreciate the input and I will them directly and see what the response is. I was just hoping that a rep here could speak for the company
My local dealer sent me here saying this was a great place to get feedback as it is BPR hosted.
Thanks Again

If you have a fire you deal with the insurance company not BRP. The insurance company would then deal with BRP.

As far as your dealer saying this was a great place for feedback he was right, where he was wrong is this is not hosted or paid for by BRP in any way shape or form and there are no BRP reps that speak for BRP on this forum.

RCB
08-23-2009, 01:23 PM
LOL I have to admit you people are passionate you either hate it or love it there is no in between. I would not say I no nothing about it I have ridden serveral of them and talked to 5 people who own them in town.

The last person I spoke with was a veteran from the Vietnam War, being a veteran myself I knew I could trust his input. He just returned from a 5,000 mile trip. He had pluses and misses about the spyder so a fair evaluation.

But I like to hear what others think postive or negative comments are good, I like when a person stands up for something they like. I am just a due diligent guy. As far as being scared to go outside or walk across the street I dont think so after serving this country.

I do respect what you all have said I know it is what you feel. Thanks

Magic Man
08-23-2009, 01:24 PM
You need to go someplace else and buy something else!

BRP is not going to say they are backing these fire damaged Spyder's until the root cause of these fires has been determined. Which as of now still has not been found.

There is a whole bunch of "Salem which hunt' type of speculation as to just what could have happened, but nobody knows for a fact just what has happened to these bikes as of yet.

For BRP to come out and say "we'll back these fire damaged Spyder's even though nobody knows for sure what the cause of these fires has been" will never happen. When it is found out just what happened to these bikes and IF it is found to be BRP's responsibility, then we see what they do about it then.

Until then, no manufacturer would ever say "just because we make it, and it caught fire we'll cover it" no way!

Almost everybody here love's their Spyder, and would buy one again as they are so much fun. Yes some of these first year cutting edge bikes had some adjustments needed. But I, as most of us here are glad BRP had the balls to bring out such a cutting edge bike in the first place.

If you want all of us here to plead and beg you to buy a Spyder you're in the wrong place. I, as everybody else here don't need you to buy or even like a Spyder to somehow validate our purchases, as we are all very happy with our bikes for the most part, one and all.

But, I don't think coming into a forum called Spyder LOVERS (which was started for people who do just that, Love Spyder's) and tell us how you're not going to buy one because they have this wrong with them or that wrong with them. Or that BRP won't give you (not even an owner) the answers you want about these fires so you'll buy one, is something I for one could do without hearing.

So don't buy one, it's your choice and money! But me, I don't give a hoot if you ever do! I LOVE OUR 2 SPYDERS and would buy one again in a heartbeat!

So, that's just what I"m going to do again for the third time as soon as the new 2010 touring models come out.

MM

Dudley
08-23-2009, 01:29 PM

BRP is not going to say they are backing these fire damaged Spyder's until the root cause of these fires has been determined. Which as of now still has not been found.

There is a whole bunch of "Salem which hunt' type of speculation as to just what could have happened, but nobody knows for a fact just what has happened to these bikes as of yet.

For BRP to come out and say "we'll back these fire damaged Spyder's even though nobody knows for sure what the cause of these fires has been" will never happen. When it is found out just what happened to these bikes and IF it is found to be BRP's responsibility, then we see what they do about it then.

Until then, no manufacturer would ever say "just because we make it, and it caught fire we'll cover it" no way!

Almost everybody here love's their Spyder, and would buy one again as they are so much fun. Yes some of these first year cutting edge bikes had some adjustments needed. But I, as most of us here are glad BRP had the balls to bring out such a cutting edge bike in the first place.

If you want all of us here to plead and beg you to buy a Spyder you're in the wrong place. I, as everybody else here don't need you to buy or even like a Spyder to somehow validate our purchases, as we are all very happy with our bikes for the most part, one and all.

But, I don't think coming into a forum called Spyder LOVERS (which was started for people who do just that, Love Spyder's) and tell us how you're not going to buy one because they have this wrong with them or that wrong with them. Or that BRP won't give you (not even an owner) the answers you want about these fires so you'll buy one, is something I for one could do without hearing.

So don't buy one, it's your choice and money! But me, I don't give a hoot if you ever do! I LOVE OUR 2 SPYDERS and would buy one again in a heartbeat!

So, that's just what I"m going to do again for the third time as soon as the new 2010 touring models come out.

MM

Darn that was so well put!:ohyea:

RCB
08-23-2009, 01:33 PM
You gave me the responses I was looking for, I knew if I put up a controversial topic I would get real responses.
Thanks! This helps a bunch

Dudley
08-23-2009, 01:35 PM
You gave me the responses I was looking for, I knew if I put up a controversial topic I would get real responses.

OH boy, we got another one!

BajaRon
08-23-2009, 01:42 PM
LOL I have to admit you people are passionate you either hate it or love it there is no in between. I would not say I no nothing about it I have ridden serveral of them and talked to 5 people who own them in town.

The last person I spoke with was a veteran from the Vietnam War, being a veteran myself I knew I could trust his input. He just returned from a 5,000 mile trip. He had pluses and misses about the spyder so a fair evaluation.

But I like to hear what others think postive or negative comments are good, I like when a person stands up for something they like. I am just a due diligent guy. As far as being scared to go outside or walk across the street I dont think so after serving this country.

I do respect what you all have said I know it is what you feel. Thanks

Laying everything else aside, I want to say to you and to anyone else that has put their life on the line for America, thank you!

I am not a veteran. It would have been the Vietnam war for me. I didn't have to go and I chose not to. Some of my friends went and some never came back.

I have several veteran's in my family and some serving right now (not to mention friends).

I know this is not Spyder related. But the only reason I am free to jump on my Spyder and go where ever I want in this great country is because of men and women that have been willing to make the sacrifice.

So whether or not you ever buy a Spyder, my respect and gratitude remains.

Thank you, each and every one!

Firefly
08-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Very zen like comments. I understand once you buy something you want to defend the purchase, I would do the same, just looking at the machine as a purchase and the toss up of riding it versus it in the shop all the time.
I do not think it has to do with life and death issues just common sense buying vs. an emotional purchase.
Like I said it is great you love it if you do I am just looking for honest responses and you have all done that
Thanks - any other comments -
Like has BRP replaced and backed these Spyders that catch fire, if yes and they are backing their products then I would buy but have not heard that comment made.
So, of the seven that caught fire how many has BRP backed and replaced?

I fully understand what you mean about people buying something and the defending it so that they don't have any buyers remorse. I, for one, am not like that. If I buy something that's a POS - I tell people, sell it and move on.

As far as BRP covering these fires - I don't believe that has been the case because they have not yet shown it to be a manufacturing defect. Could just as easily be operator error. This is why we all have insurance. I'm 99% sure that of the 6 or 7 fires that we know about - they were all covered by insurance policies - not BRP.

I bought the extended warranty--- which gives you an extra 3 years (so 5 years total) of protection - for any failure on the bike--- plus roadside towing for 5 years.

I've had only minor problems - parking brake--- fixed without me paying a dime - Power steering problem - fixed without paying a dime-- and it seems there was one other issue that they fixed--- promptly and without any payment.... oh-- yeah-- it was the GPS sensor.

Overall I'm thrilled with my Spyder---- and my dealer--- which is the most important part of the deal in my opinion.

Some people have broken one of the front shock adjustment cams when trying to adjust the shocks tighter---- and BRP covers it - whether it was operator error or poor quality parts.

The first rider out here to report a fire went right out and bought another one after getting his insurance check---- so they obviously have plenty of confidence in this bike.

12,000 miles here----- been 2 of the best years of my life!

RCB
08-23-2009, 01:53 PM
BajaRon Thanks and I guess I just learned due diligience is needed at times to be safe and stay safe. Everyone's comments are greatly appreicated and it never offends me when a person speaks out about what he likes or stands for, I just repsect that perosn more.
Thanks again

draboo
08-23-2009, 01:53 PM
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is a proof against all argument, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is condemnation before investigation.”

Take one for a test ride, talk face to face with some owners. For all you know, we are just a bunch of axe murderers posing as meek and mellow reverse trike fanatics!:D

Firefly
08-23-2009, 01:54 PM

MM

:chill::chill::chill:

C'mon guys---- let's not scare this person off that has a genuine interest in the Spyder. I don't think he has deserved some of the harsh comments out here. He has valid concerns - perhaps based on incorrect data (50/50, etc.).

Isn't the idea out here to be educational in all matters Spyder-related?

I hope you stick around RCB---- and make an educated decision based on what you learn--- and what your personal wants are.

I could easily see someone coming in here and seeing all the fire posts (which I've been a part of) and getting a bad feeling about the Spyder.

Lamonster put it well about the Dr.'s office - and he (I think) actually mentioned weeks ago about how all the negative posts (which I'm guilty of too) could turn away someone new looking for info----- and now we have that exact situation.

I'll change my tag line like others have done to "very happy Spyder owner"--- but perhaps a poll at the top of the page(sticky style) where we can all vote about how we like our Spyder's----rating from 1-5... also a dealers one and a BRP one.... That way someone like RCB can easily find good info about how pleased people really are.

RCB
08-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Firefly thats a great idea - Thaks

Draboo - read my earlier posts and you will have ridden several and talker to several owners

Thanks

RCB
08-23-2009, 02:16 PM
ok i guess i was going to fast there on the last post

draboo - if you read my early posts you will see I have ridden several and talked to several Spyder owners - Thanks

rleathen
08-23-2009, 02:16 PM

I am sorry I could not hold off on responding to this. I am a profesional firefighter and fighting fires is what I do for a living. I can not count the number of vehicle fires I have been to over my 18 year career. I can tell you GM's catch fire, Ford's catch fire, Chryslers catch fire, Delorian's catch fire and so do many European cars. The fact is vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or age catch fire. To quote a fellow forum member "I am surprised that the manufactuer (GM, Ford, Chrysler or any other manufacturer) has not taken a more aggressive approach to fix this".

RCB
08-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Good inforamtion from someone who knows
Thanks!

QuadManiac
08-23-2009, 02:27 PM
I doubt that Ferrari or Rolls Royce would do anything different when a VERY small number of their vehicles are involved in fires, as I'm sure there have been. If any common causal issue is identified, you can bet that BRP, Ferrari and Rolls will all do about the same thing (as would Ford and GM) - find and fix the correlating cause.

As Lamonster said, forums are places where people come with problems, looking for solutions. Few just come here to post - "Hey, my (put brand name of product here) works great... I just wanted to let the world know!"

Relative to the Spyder, look at the number of vehicles out there (and the number of ppl belonging to this forum) vs. the number of reported problems. I think you'll see that statistically, the large majority of owners DO NOT have issues; and your decision should be based upon that statistic, not on the (expected) large number of posts with issues.

Regardless of your final decision, I applaud you for taking the time to investigate before making that decision. I can tell you that, in my case, I did the same for nearly a year before finally deciding to go for it... now that I'm 5 months and 3500 miles past that point, I truly wish I had made my purchase earlier - what great times I have missed!

Dudley
08-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Draboo - read my earlier posts and you will have ridden several and talker to several owners

Knowledge is relative. Riding "several" Spyders and talking to "several" owners does not create "knowledge". It may have given you some familiarity and input, but definitely not knowledge.

barkingspyder
08-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I hope you stick around RCB. This is a great place for a great ryde. This thing has given me more happiness than the money I spent on it:ohyea:

Kjen
08-23-2009, 02:39 PM
PSSTT: I love our :spyder2:. After the 13,000 plus journey I still would do it again. No problems, mechanical or otherwise. What's the total :spyder2: numbers out there? Doubt these things being discussed has/will happen to all of them, it's a chance one takes with any purchase. It's a fun machine, you look way cool pulling into a parking lot or just going down the street.

Zerocool
08-23-2009, 02:42 PM
I am not sure where you are getting your 50/50 percentages of a "bad one". Do you have a source other than this forum and the usual forum chatter? As big as it is, this forum is not a valid sampling.

I also think you are overlooking the undeniable value of all the saved marriages, continuing friendships, side-stepped bar fights, saved jobs, pleasant gatherings, and general quality of life - if some of the posters here did not have this forum as an outlet to commiserate and speculate about their Spyder and the state of quality, service, dealerships, engineering and corporate practices. The world "out there" would be a very taxing place without it, even coming from the small number of people doing that here. You just try talking to your Significant Other about the ins and outs of stock shock absorbers ( on any vehicle of your choice ) for more than 2 hours in a day and you will see what I mean, IF you are not hurt very badly before you can go on that long. And don't even start on Motor Oil! Hospital bills and ostracism WILL occur. A lonely, painful, expensive world.

Why, look what it has done for you so far - you get to complain and sound knowledgeable without even owning one.

Seriously - Spyder ownership and community will PROBABLY give you more smiles and enjoyment than you can imagine. Do the test drives. Continue doing the homework. If the Spyder is for you - there is one out there with your name on it. And, it could save you a lot of pain in your personal life, on top of it.

Tom

:agree:

RCB, I've had no issues with my :spyder: AND it's one of the Premier Editions (i.e. first ones made/released.)

The only problem you'll find me citing has been REALLY LOUD squealing rear brakes. I was able to readjust those myself. Really embarrassing when it happened, but the fix was simple.

RCB
08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
There seems to be some good people in here - Thanks

steven888
08-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I understand how you feel. I have had really no problems and enjoy riding it so much. But, I would be skeptical to buy one if I read all the bad things you hear about the spyder. I am very glad I have a great one. It is awsome. It kicks ass. Good luck.

NewRider
08-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Your concern about fires in understandable. However, my understanding about the fires is this: there were a total of four or five. The problem is that this has been bandied about, to make it seem like a major problem. It's not.

Secondly...in most of those cases, it now appears the majority were caused by dum-dums who overfilled their tanks. The information is very specific: stick the nozzle in. When it cuts off - DON'T CONTINUE TO PUMP GAS IN!

BRP has no reason to honor warranties, for stupidity.

Anyway...please reconsider hesitating about buying a Spyder. Rest assured, a few minor warts and all, they are still an absolute blast.

Come join us! The water's fine...and so is the road...;)

RCB
08-23-2009, 03:54 PM
I apprecaite the time to let me know your thoughts
I am going to call BPR and the local dealer to get their take and then decide
Thanks - :chat:

BajaRon
08-23-2009, 04:21 PM

Hey! Great idea! You'll get 2 more completely unbiased perspectives that way! :roflblack:

COOLMACHINE
08-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Hey RBC
don't be calling us names.... "Good people....." You may be stretching the truth a little bit there..... :D

There seems to be some good people in here - Thanks

Bersquack
08-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Man do I hate these kind of posts because nobody can keep a cool head!

Anyway, I'm just going to say this:

"I am very happy with my spyder and do not regret my purchase a single minute. These are new machines and bound to have problems even at the second production year and I was aware of that when I bought it. The spyder is definitely not for everybody, but is a fun machine that can be enjoyed by many. Yes, I had buyers remorse before picking it up, but I since then stopped counting the smiles it put on my face during my 7K miles over the past 5 months."

tnfleming
08-23-2009, 05:15 PM

I own a 2008 spyder, 6300 trouble-free miles. I had the recall done. No problems. Whiners show up here and worriers show up here. Fires? I'd worry more about getting hit by lightning! Jump in! If you are willing to risk riding a motorcycle in the first place, a spontaneous fire should not even be a concern! Getting hit by a car has GOT to be a greater risk.

Smylinacha
08-23-2009, 07:06 PM
I am happy with my Spyder but I think a few thinks help me be happy with it....

1. I have an awesome gearhead husband who could tear apart and rebuild engines.

2. My awesome husband, HDX, likes to "ponder" possibilities and then look into how things tick.

3. I've got a dealer who's well educated in BRP products and the owner of the dealership works on my bike and he learned all about the Spyder and how to fix it and still stays very involved and he rydes one too.

4. This Forum..... I'm no gearhead but I've learned allot in here and whenever I see something interesting I always say to HDX - did you read that, whaddya think?

5. Insurance will cover it if it burns to the ground.

Only thing that makes me nervous is I still owe on the Spyder - I didn't buy it outright and if anything happens insurance would cover what it was worth but I'd probably still have to finish up the payments, right? I called my insurance company to up my insurance but they wouldn't. Only way they'd do it is if I dumped a ton of cashola into accessorizing it, which I only have a few things on mine - aftermarket exhaust, comfort seat, windshield, risers. So if it burns up, I'll probably still be paying on it afterwards - that kind of makes me nervous. But I guess it can be the same way for any other vehicle.:dontknow:

bone crusher
08-23-2009, 07:25 PM

Are you really that worried about a fire? You have a couple of people who have had a problem and nobody really knows why...everyone here loves to speculate but who the heck really knows?

Every vehicle on the road poses a fire risk in the wrong situations...most you never hear about...how about them Explorers tipping over, eh?

With the Spyder, I don't even worry...I ride mine and love it. I have tons of mods and not a concern. I don't worry about a spontaneously combustible Spyder.

If you worry about this issue, you probably shouldn't even ride a bike of any kind because the risk of you being in an accident is probably far greater than your risk of having a Spyder that catches on fire.

gazey
08-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Had mine for five months and done 9000km. Loved every one of em :thumbup:
If you don't get one you will be missing out on one heck of a ride.

jedd
08-23-2009, 08:28 PM
BRP not BPR
Bombardier Recreational Products
Recreation = Fun and pleasure.
Very Happy BRP Can-Am Spyder owner 11,568.2 miles of fun and pleasure:thumbup:

Spyder#353
08-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Why are we kissing this guys A$$. We know what we have and enjoy every minute. I say to this person Go buy whatever you want. And don't bother us with your winning about something you know nothing about. I got to stop here I'm getting :mad: :gaah:thinking about it. People can be so negative.

zzneonzz
08-23-2009, 09:06 PM

I sense Trolling by this comment right here

So i say we just stop feeding the troll

Dudley
08-23-2009, 10:34 PM

I sensed him when he posted his first time. Trying to fish for what he wants to hear, regardless what we post. Oh, well. I won't lose sleep over what he thinks. Going to turn 25,000 miles next time we take the Spyder out. Tail light bulbs (2), license plate bulb (1), and rear tire (1) is all we have had to do to the Spyder in 9 months.

Firefly
08-23-2009, 10:48 PM

C'mon guys----- :chill:

bjt
08-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Look at it this way. If someone posts they have an issue there are 100 or more posts discussing it. Then someone starts another thread in a slightly different vein and the same 100 people post again.

If someone posts they had a great ride on their Spyder it may get a few congrats and that's it.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, just the way it is.

:agree:

Tom in NM
08-23-2009, 11:50 PM
. . . or chum in the water?

Thanks for the input but no one has answered the question does BPR back this spyders that have caught fire that really what I want to know. I can deal with the repairs and updates.

You need to divide the fire occurrences into their proper category to get your answer - from BRP. Are they an Insurance issue, an accident? A case of Fraud? A bad shop practice at the dealership or self mod? A criminal act of sabotage or malice? A manufacturing defect? A random part failure?

Which incidents are you going to hold them to? Which ones are you going to let go? Which ones do you have proof of what happened?

You won't find that out in Google.

If you have insurance and a warranty - what else do you need?

I was just hoping that a rep here could speak for the company My local dealer sent me here saying this was a great place to get feedback as it is BPR hosted.

BRP does not host this forum - you need to go to their website. If you got that part wrong after all homework you say you have done, not much will help you. I find it more probable that you are just stirring up trouble.

Tom

Neez
08-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Life's a gamble, RCB. So ante up or fold 'em up. In the end it's your call.

manchild
08-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Life's a gamble, RCB. So ante up or fold 'em up. In the end it's your call.
:agree:Yeah..what he said

wyliec
08-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Okay, enough attention; good bye. :banghead:

BajaRon
08-24-2009, 06:33 AM
I sensed him when he posted his first time. Trying to fish for what he wants to hear, regardless what we post. Oh, well. I won't lose sleep over what he thinks. Going to turn 25,000 miles next time we take the Spyder out. Tail light bulbs (2), license plate bulb (1), and rear tire (1) is all we have had to do to the Spyder in 9 months.

That is OUTRAGEOUS! You mean the rear tire wore out! What was BRP thinking? :yikes:

Why did BRP use Rubber? It's just going to wear out and become WORTHLESS! Why would BRP do that to us! They should replace that defective part for free!

If BRP isn't going to stand behind their product I'm not going to buy any more Spyders! :(

Oh My Word! You're Right! I just checked and MY TIRE IS WEARING OUT TOO! :yikes:

Only 14,000 miles! My tire is defective too! If I hadn't seen this post it might have worn ALL THE WAY THROUGH! This is a Safety Hazard for sure! I think we have a pattern building here! :gaah:

Everyone.....Please check your rear tire and see if yours is defective like mine and Dudley's! Where is that phone number to NHTSA! :helpsmilie:

dave01
08-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Everyone.....Please check your rear tire and see if yours is defective like mine and Dudley's! Where is that phone number to NHTSA! :helpsmilie:[/quote]

I have the new upgraded rear tire. It wont wear out. Had it changed during the recall. Didnt you all get the MEMO?

rleathen
08-24-2009, 07:25 AM
:agree: Now that was really really funny.....and characterizes the sentiment of some so very well !!!

Magic Man
08-24-2009, 07:39 AM
You know Lamonster must have a real problem, because he's been through 3 rear tires! :yikes:

Why at this rate he's lucky to be alive! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

MM

zzneonzz
08-24-2009, 07:44 AM
You know Lamonster must have a real problem, because he's been through 3 rear tires! :yikes:

MM

Thats some serious bad luck. Wouldn't that fall under the Lemon Law :roflblack:

Magic Man
08-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Thats some serious bad luck. Wouldn't that fall under the Lemon Law :roflblack:

No it takes 5 times to be under that.

But give him enough time I'm sure he'll make it. LOL :roflblack:

MM

effgjamis
08-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks Again

If it is the fire that bothers you and wonder if BRP will replace the spyder due to fire, well one thing is certain you must not have heard of INSURANCE. I am more concerned about some caged idiot running into me than fire.

I may be wrong but I don't believe FORD replaced the SUV's that caught fire, even when it was determined that it was a defective part causing the brake fluid to leak. INSURANCE took care of the damaged vehicle, however, in some cases Ford did compensate some owners but not all.

RCB
08-24-2009, 08:52 AM
This must be the funny owners, I had heard from the angry ones already LOL Well you are a passionate bunch thats for sure. All comments have been heard and appreaciated.
:roflblack:

Firefly
08-24-2009, 09:37 AM
If you're getting over 10,000 on a rear tire---- you ain't riding it hard enough-----:D.

At 8,000 mine was near bald.

I'm at 12,000 miles now--- and will need new fronts around 15,000 miles. So the 2 for 1 rule seems to apply to Spyder tires.

bone crusher
08-24-2009, 10:14 AM
If you're getting over 10,000 on a rear tire---- you ain't riding it hard enough-----:D.

At 8,000 mine was near bald.

I'm at 12,000 miles now--- and will need new fronts around 15,000 miles. So the 2 for 1 rule seems to apply to Spyder tires.

Yours was bald at 8k because it was catching fire too much...:D

Sny
08-24-2009, 10:29 AM
So if it burns up, I'll probably still be paying on it afterwards - that kind of makes me nervous.

offtopic:

I think you can purchase GAP insurance with your loan. Not sure if you can add it to your loan afterwards.

GAP covers the difference between your insurance payout and the balance on the loan. It's usually not too expensive.

My wife and I are buying 2 spyders this week to take advantage of some of the August promotions, thanks for reminding me to ask about GAP :)

mclaw44
08-24-2009, 11:51 AM
As another future spyder buyer (waiting to see 2010 model changes if any) its funny to read these post. I guess you really like and want a spyder or you can get stuck in this loop. I bet there isn’t anyone on this site that can tell you how many recalls or fires there have been with cars or other bikes or even how many recalls there should have been but never did. Look at past history, the rolling death trap the pinto (sorry pinto lovers), The Fiero SE or better know as the Smoking Edition LOL (Had one and loved it and yes it did burn to the ground or highway in the case) and more recent the Ford trucks. Did any one these companies stand behind there product, sure there were recalls but my insurance paid for my Fiero not GM. So really the bottom line is do you want to take a risk for what I think is a big reward of being a spyder owner or sit on the stoop as we all ride by.

Love all the comments make me want a spyder even more cant wait!!!!!

RCB
08-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Had a good and interesting conversation with a BRP representative today.
:chat:

Dudley
08-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Had a good and interesting conversation with a BRP representative today.
:chat:

That tells us a lot. What number did you call? Who did you talk to? What did you find out?

bone crusher
08-24-2009, 01:40 PM
As another future spyder buyer (waiting to see 2010 model changes if any) its funny to read these post. I guess you really like and want a spyder or you can get stuck in this loop. I bet there isn’t anyone on this site that can tell you how many recalls or fires there have been with cars or other bikes or even how many recalls there should have been but never did. Look at past history, the rolling death trap the pinto (sorry pinto lovers), The Fiero SE or better know as the Smoking Edition LOL (Had one and loved it and yes it did burn to the ground or highway in the case) and more recent the Ford trucks. Did any one these companies stand behind there product, sure there were recalls but my insurance paid for my Fiero not GM. So really the bottom line is do you want to take a risk for what I think is a big reward of being a spyder owner or sit on the stoop as we all ride by.

You have a great approach. You'll love the Spyder and get a lot out of it. Those who want to try to make a mountain out of a molehill are better served buying a Pinto, I guess...

Anyway, until I see some clear documentation on causes of anything, they are just circumstantial and individual problems. This doesn't mean that something didn't go wrong, but to establish a pattern, we need many verifiable cases and the ability to reproduce the issue(s). This is not the case with the Spyders up to this point. :shocked:

Firefly
08-24-2009, 01:40 PM

Actually you can go to the NHTSA website and look up anything about any vehicle you want. You will currently see about 10-12 total complaints about the Spyder. Most of them were steering issues - only TWO of them are fires.

bone crusher
08-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Actually you can go to the NHTSA website and look up anything about any vehicle you want. You will currently see about 10-12 total complaints about the Spyder. Most of them were steering issues - only TWO of them are fires.

Most are steering and hopefully that issue is resolved...let's hope to NOT see more fire problems (other than those who have apparently had one)...

As far as the others who have had fires, it's odd that they have not reported them...makes me wonder if some actually occurred as a fault of the bike...if so, you'd think people would report them...

mxz600
08-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Most are steering and hopefully that issue is resolved...let's hope to NOT see more fire problems (other than those who have apparently had one)...

As far as the others who have had fires, it's odd that they have not reported them...makes me wonder if some actually occurred as a fault of the bike...if so, you'd think people would report them...

Or they didn't happen at all. I have seen pictures of only three (but I could have missed some). Two that burnt to the ground and the one at the Dairy Queen (or whatever it was).

RYDRS
08-24-2009, 02:50 PM
If my Spyder catches on fire, and I don't expect it too, I would expect my insurance company to pick up the tab, not BRP. Just my two cents worth. Oh ya, we LOVE our Spyder......:yes::yes::yes:

Saluda
08-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Worried ? No, Aware of possibilities ? Sure. One of the best purchases we ever did. Would not hesitate to do it again or to refer people to the Spyder. Nothing is perfect, down the road I expect them to be even better.

QuadManiac
08-24-2009, 03:17 PM
A quick look at some (perhaps flawed) logic:

NHTSA states that there are 69.33 motorcycle fatalities per 100,000 registered bikes per year or about 0.7 per thousand / year - 0.07%.

I don't know how many Spyders BRP has sold to date, but they recalled approximately 10,000 for the steering software update, so I'm going to use that number as my baseline. If the number is higher, then the stat goes down... so this would be worst case anyway.

10,000 Spyders on the road and up to 7 fires reported (maybe less) over TWO years equates to 0.35 per thousand / year or 0.035%.

From this loose interpretation, I'm twice as likely to be killed riding my bike as my bike is to catch on fire. Seems to me like I should be a LOT more worried about the fatality statistic vs. fire!

Conversly, from the National Lightning Safety Institute, I have a 1 in 280,000 (.00035%) chace of being struck by lightning in any given year... so I'm only 1000 times less likely to be hit by lightning than my Spyder is to catch on fire. Think I'll walk around with a long steel rod on rainy days to improve the odds; OR if i attach a long steel rod to my Spyder and ride around on nasty rainy days, do I increase the odds of BOTH lightning strike AND Spyder fire?

NOW, what can I do to improve my odds of winning the Lotto?

bone crusher
08-24-2009, 03:30 PM

NHTSA states that there are 69.33 motorcycle fatalities per 100,000 registered bikes per year or about 0.7 per thousand / year - 0.07%.

I don't know how many Spyders BRP has sold to date, but they recalled approximately 10,000 for the steering software update, so I'm going to use that number as my baseline. If the number is higher, then the stat goes down... so this would be worst case anyway.

10,000 Spyders on the road and up to 7 fires reported (maybe less) over TWO years equates to 0.35 per thousand / year or 0.035%.

From this loose interpretation, I'm twice as likely to be killed riding my bike as my bike is to catch on fire. Seems to me like I should be a LOT more worried about the fatality statistic vs. fire!

Conversly, from the National Lightning Safety Institute, I have a 1 in 280,000 (.00035%) chace of being struck by lightning in any given year... so I'm only 1000 times less likely to be hit by lightning than my Spyder is to catch on fire. Think I'll run around with a long steel rod on rainy days to improve the odds; OR if i attach a long steel rod to my Spyder and ride around on nasty rainy days, do I increase the odds of BOTH lightning strike AND Spyder fire?

I brought that point up but you just backed it up with the numbers...thank you...excellent points and excellent post! :yes:

bone crusher
08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Or they didn't happen at all. I have seen pictures of only three (but I could have missed some). Two that burnt to the ground and the one at the Dairy Queen (or whatever it was).

Something about those DQ drinks....hmmmmmm...

On that note, you never know who's posting what about what...and we already know of some good story tellers on this board (our departed Hollywood friend)...so, if the gov't only has two reported cases, that's all we can go by...everything else is speculation unless proven otherwise...and the best/official way to do it is to report it to the NHTSA.

QuadManiac
08-24-2009, 03:35 PM
I brought that point up but you just backed it up with the numbers...thank you...excellent points and excellent post! :yes:

Yah, I thought something must have put that idea in my head... what I lose in originality, I gain in thoroughness.

bone crusher
08-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Yah, I thought something must have put that idea in my head... what I lose in originality, I gain in thoroughness.

That was quite thorough...and it really helps to prove a point...so many accidents and deaths on two wheelers...many from just dropping the bike...and people are worried about what may (or may not be) a problem with the spyder that has affected, as we know right now, 2 or 3 out of 14,000 bikes? Ek gad...

Firefly
08-24-2009, 04:32 PM

Conversly, from the National Lightning Safety Institute, I have a 1 in 280,000 (.00035%) chace of being struck by lightning in any given year... so I'm only 1000 times less likely to be hit by lightning than my Spyder is to catch on fire. Think I'll walk around with a long steel rod on rainy days to improve the odds; OR if i attach a long steel rod to my Spyder and ride around on nasty rainy days, do I increase the odds of BOTH lightning strike AND Spyder fire?

Your math and thinking is correct--- but there are problems pertaining to assumptions.

1. There are 14,000+ Spyders on the road.
2. We only know of 6 or 7 fires.
3. These are only the fires we have heard about out here.

Since this site has 3,000 members--- and I don't think that equates to 3,000 Spyders as many don't own or are not active, etc. I would assume there are 2,000-2,500 actual Spyders owned on this site.

So on one end you could look at this as 7 fires out of 2,500--- and on the other would be 7 out of 14,000. If the 7 out of 2,500 were extrapolated you could have as many as 40 fires out of 14,000.The truth is somewhere in between I'm sure.

Another way to look at it would be:

On the high end (7/2500) = 1 out of every 357 Spyders
One the low end(7/14,000) = 1 out of every 2,000 Spyders

Quite a difference - but I really doubt there has been another 33 fires that we have not heard of.....

I sent a letter and photos of 5 of the fires to BRP on 7/28/09. I don't think the other 2 posted fires - but they both sounded legit when posted out here.

Here is the response I just got on 08/21/09:

Greetings Mr. Egan,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicating with BRP and inform you that the pictures that you were kind enough to gather and send to us were forwarded to the BRP investigation team.

If you need further information or have concerns with your Can-AmTM SpyderTM roadster, please do not hesitate to call and ask for Carlo or email to this address.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and for your support of the Can-Am Spyder roadster.

Carlo
Spyder Web Representative
Consumer Services Group
BRP
J 715-848-4957 USA / 819-566-3366 Canada
L 819-566-3062
spydertechsupport@brp.com

So I'm glad to know they ARE fully aware of the potential problem.

Still a bit miffed as to why some of these owners have not filed reports with the NHTSA---- which is far different than just letting BRP know. Filing an official report gives you LEGAL bite behind your bark.

QuadManiac
08-24-2009, 04:41 PM
I would guess that if there were additional fires, at least some of our members would have heard about it through one means or another (as was the case with today's post related to an accident in Australia) and would report it here. If we assume that some fires got by without detection by our relatively large and expansive membership, then perhaps doubling the number of estimated fires would be a reasonable engineering assumption.

Taken that, 14 fires with 14,000 Spyders on the road over a two year period equates to 0.5 per 1000 per year or 0.05% - STILL lower than the average fatality statistic.

BBL, I'm gonna go buy a Lotto ticket.

zzneonzz
08-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Your math and thinking is correct--- but there are problems pertaining to assumptions.

1. There are 14,000+ Spyders on the road.
2. We only know of 6 or 7 fires.
3. These are only the fires we have heard about out here.

Since this site has 3,000 members--- and I don't think that equates to 3,000 Spyders as many don't own or are not active, etc. I would assume there are 2,000-2,500 actual Spyders owned on this site.

So on one end you could look at this as 7 fires out of 2,500--- and on the other would be 7 out of 14,000. If the 7 out of 2,500 were extrapolated you could have as many as 40 fires out of 14,000.The truth is somewhere in between I'm sure.

Another way to look at it would be:

On the high end (7/2500) = 1 out of every 357 Spyders
One the low end(7/14,000) = 1 out of every 2,000 Spyders

Quite a difference - but I really doubt there has been another 33 fires that we have not heard of.....

I sent a letter and photos of 5 of the fires to BRP on 7/28/09. I don't think the other 2 posted fires - but they both sounded legit when posted out here.

Here is the response I just got on 08/21/09:

Greetings Mr. Egan,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicating with BRP and inform you that the pictures that you were kind enough to gather and send to us were forwarded to the BRP investigation team.

If you need further information or have concerns with your Can-AmTM SpyderTM roadster, please do not hesitate to call and ask for Carlo or email to this address.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and for your support of the Can-Am Spyder roadster.

Carlo
Spyder Web Representative
Consumer Services Group
BRP
J 715-848-4957 USA / 819-566-3366 Canada
L 819-566-3062
spydertechsupport@brp.com

So I'm glad to know they ARE fully aware of the potential problem.

Still a bit miffed as to why some of these owners have not filed reports with the NHTSA---- which is far different than just letting BRP know. Filing an official report gives you LEGAL bite behind your bark.

Actually if you go by the figures ANY company is going to go by then his numbers are actually on the high side. Manufactures are NOT going to go off of forums they are going to base the numbers on what has actually been reported and as many have pointed out only 2 of the fires have been reported out of your 14k number so that makes it even less likely to happen.

Regardless you can :bdh: all you want until someone can tell the exact cause of every spyder fire out there i'm going to continue to enjoy the ride and not worry about the small odds of my spyder catching fire. Its a lot less stressful and i have insurance that will cover the damage if it does happen ot catch fire.

BeRight
08-24-2009, 05:41 PM
I would guess that if there were additional fires, at least some of our members would have heard about it through one means or another (as was the case with today's post related to an accident in Australia) and would report it here. If we assume that some fires got by without detection by our relatively large and expansive membership, then perhaps doubling the number of estimated fires would be a reasonable engineering assumption.

Taken that, 14 fires with 14,000 Spyders on the road over a two year period equates to 0.5 per 1000 per year or 0.05% - STILL lower than the average fatality statistic.

You convinced me - Maryland Mega-lotto tomorrow night draw is huge - off I go the get some tickets:D

bone crusher
08-24-2009, 05:55 PM

Your numbers are fine. Only 2 reported cases to the NHTSA. Everything else is here-say until proven otherwise.

As far as the lottery goes...you have a 1 in 175+ million chance in winning the Mega Millions...so, your odds of getting burnt to a crisp are far greater than winning the Mega Millions...

NancysToy
08-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Let's change the subject. Years ago, my 305 Honda caught fire. What are the odds of that? :joke: OK, what are the odds that I would have been wearing my nomex fire gloves (which I was), so I was able to shut off the fuel? :joke: Now, what are the odds that I was crazy enough to bring it up here to lighten things up? :joke:

Smylinacha
08-24-2009, 07:00 PM
offtopic:

I think you can purchase GAP insurance with your loan. Not sure if you can add it to your loan afterwards.

GAP covers the difference between your insurance payout and the balance on the loan. It's usually not too expensive.

My wife and I are buying 2 spyders this week to take advantage of some of the August promotions, thanks for reminding me to ask about GAP :)

Geico wouldn't do it for me but I can ask my credit union where I got the loan I think?

Smylinacha
08-24-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't think that guy was a troll and I think some of you were DOWNRIGHT FREAKIN NASTY to him. Ya know, I like my Spyder but I do have concerns over what's been going on... fires, bad downloads and recalls, brp not saying much about nothin but you just wrote this dude off as a troll, maybe he really was looking to buy a Spyder and instead of saying -it's a cool machine, you guys pretty much called him a jerk in so many sarcastic, typical dude type lingo. Just go to Google and type in "Spyder" - THIS IS THE #1 PLACE it takes you so he probably came in here to ask something and y'all just f'd w/ him. I just don't think that was very nice. Kidding around with one another - well fine and good cuz we all know eachother in here and we know who's buttons we can push and who to stay away from but you guys pretty much just jumped all over this guy's a$$.

You all need to go sit in the naughty chair for a while.nojoke:cus::(

aka1004
08-24-2009, 07:10 PM
I am still ryding it and love it 22000miles in 8 month and with east coast trip after gatlinburg...

If I get rid of my spyder it will not be because of mechanical problems but because of dealer service. One dealer does not want deal with my problematic spyder anymore (service writer said they loosing money on my spyder because they can only bill brp so much for diagnostic time) other one is more enthsiastic but on my late 12k service they did not do mist of the things on the list after charging me for it. The service manager was a bit apologetic but when confronted head mechanic why his spyder mechanic in training did not do everything on list and can I trust you to do my spyder right next time he got very deffensive and his answer was that I have a choice not to bring my spyder there.

They have basically re did the 12k service after mechanic in training fessed up that he did not do most of things on list but my spyder will not be going there again. It's del Ami motorsports for those who live in this area.

NancysToy
08-24-2009, 07:53 PM
I don't think that guy was a troll and I think some of you were DOWNRIGHT FREAKIN NASTY to him............................................... ....................You all need to go sit in the naughty chair for a while.nojoke:cus::(
:agree: Thanks for saying so. I thought he was polite, and was surprised at his lack of harsh reaction. You are to be commended for your patience RCB. You may have probed and prodded a little, and I'm sure you were intentionally stirring the pot, but I see no problem with that.

As you can see, we are a dedicated lot, and we love our Spyders, as a whole. I hope that offsets some of your concerns a bit. Hope you take a test ride and seriously consider this fine toy BRP has given us. It is worth a little pain and uncertainty!

Tom in NM
08-24-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't think that guy was a troll and I think some of you were DOWNRIGHT FREAKIN NASTY to him.

ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto,
ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto

You all need to go sit in the naughty chair for a while.nojoke:cus::(

Sorry, I gotta disagree. Troll. Look at all his/or/her postings. Troll chum, well done - but sounded young, but bait just the same.
For example, explanations were called both "defensive" and "angry", with the added sauce of people would do that to defend their choices. There were no defensive or angry replies. As is typical of this forum, everybody tried to help and share experiences.

They commented they had done lots of research, but thought "BPR" ran this site.

And then their fundamental question really does not make any sense; "Does BPR stand behind the Spyder?" :hun: and the hint was, "Yes is not an answer I will accept."

I think Dudley said it, this smelled from the beginning. If he didn't, I will take credit for thinking it.

Now for the real interesting part, tell me more about that Naughty Chair. You have piqued my interest.;)

Tom

Smylinacha
08-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Even if he were a youngster, does that means he's a troll? Young people might not ponder on stuff before they come out and say it. Troll or not - I saw alot of nastiness. I see alot of joking around in here and that is great cuz we need it (badly sometimes) but all the sudden it was like someone sprang a testosterone leak and it became contageous.

Sure we all love our Spyders and seems like some would wanna defend them to their death. I like my Spyder but am no way gonna be brash w/ someone about why he or she really needs to have one. To each his/her own.

Naughty chair is in the corner of my home. You p*ss me off, you go sit in it and can't move until I say so. My son lived many minutes/hours in it. And he grew up to be a decent young man, even when I had to duck tape him to the chair :2thumbs:

Day 3, no cigs and I'm cranky. Sorry.

gazey
08-24-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm still rydin and I'm still smylin.....:doorag:
There are talkers and there are doers.
So RCB which one are you......
Go out and get your Spyder and just RYDE :thumbup:

northramp
08-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Where s HDX ? .. On the other side of the house?

BajaRon
08-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Everyone.....Please check your rear tire and see if yours is defective like mine and Dudley's! Where is that phone number to NHTSA! :helpsmilie:

I have the new upgraded rear tire. It wont wear out. Had it changed during the recall. Didnt you all get the MEMO?[/quote]

No, I didn't get that memo....Probably went to Lamont's house if they sent it UPS!

I never got the kick stand memo or the back up beeper recall either! :yikes:

Now that I think about it...I think I saw 2 kick stands on Lamont's Spyder....One on each side! Hey!!!!:yikes::yikes::yikes:

RCB
08-24-2009, 09:56 PM
I appreciate the input.
I was directed here by my local dealer because I had concerns about this purchase and I guess I should have titled the post
Is it time to stay clear? LOL
But the input has been good in most cases as I campare either buying another motorcycle that my Harley buddies want me to do or try a new ride. I have owned Victory and Honda motorcycles.
I didn't think it would generate so much interest.
When I told my Harley buddies I was looking at a Spyder they had just returned from Sturgis and they siad yeah we saw them there. The word up there was they were calling them Canadaian Snowmoblies.
I did a test ride and it is alot different then my bikes thats for sure.
I did talk to two BRP Reps today and they were nice and aware of the concerns. They said they are investigating the problems that riders have sent them and what they see on sites like this. They did not have many answers but said these were few in number, I expected them to say that that it is there job no matter what company service center you call.
But it was good to get their input. No comments on the 2010 other then to check the web site next week and the news may be up about the 2010 models.

BajaRon
08-24-2009, 09:58 PM

MM

Just goes to show that some defects are more defective than others. His Spyder is statistically 3 times more defective than mine! :ohyea:

Put that in your catch can and smoke it! :D:D

Firefly
08-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Your numbers are fine. Only 2 reported cases to the NHTSA. Everything else is here-say until proven otherwise.

As far as the lottery goes...you have a 1 in 175+ million chance in winning the Mega Millions...so, your odds of getting burnt to a crisp are far greater than winning the Mega Millions...

Yup--- I knew there was one more point I wanted to make on my post--- and that was that as far as BRP is 'officially concerned--- there have only been 2 fires.

Also - as with the steering issues - BRP *may* take the stance of these problems being operator-induced----- which may or may not be the case.
____

Firefly
08-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Sorry, I gotta disagree. Troll. Look at all his/or/her postings. Troll chum, well done - but sounded young, but bait just the same.
For example, explanations were called both "defensive" and "angry", with the added sauce of people would do that to defend their choices. There were no defensive or angry replies. As is typical of this forum, everybody tried to help and share experiences.

They commented they had done lots of research, but thought "BPR" ran this site.

And then their fundamental question really does not make any sense; "Does BPR stand behind the Spyder?" :hun: and the hint was, "Yes is not an answer I will accept."

I think Dudley said it, this smelled from the beginning. If he didn't, I will take credit for thinking it.

Now for the real interesting part, tell me more about that Naughty Chair. You have peaked my interest.;)

Tom

Sorry, but I agree with Smylinacha.... and some of the replies from members out here WERE angry. RDB seems to have the patience of Job - most other people would have left or got really upset.

If he ends up being a troll - then so be it. You do know they love to have people call them out as being a troll and then work the crowd from there....

Just say'n.

bjt
08-25-2009, 08:56 AM
me, firefly, Scotty, BRPJunkie, Someguy, Rando and many others are trolls according to U.P. folks. We all live under the bridge. :D

bcspyder
08-25-2009, 10:44 AM
In addition to the new Spyder I have a Victory motorcycle. There is a particular website that I hang out on and occasionally it gets a little PMS. One post leads to alot of name calling and gets off topic very quickly. As Spyder owners we need to remember that others will have alot of questions and RCB is no different. If you have been around off road machines a while (sleds, ATV's, watercraft) you know that while BRP has a great reputatipon for building fun and cutting edge machines, product reliability and customer service has not been a strength. In my note to them regarding my post download issues I suggested that this is a critical time for them to step to the plate and reward those of us who took a gamble $$$ on a new machine, with exceptional customer service. I think his concerns are valid and I also considered waiting until the bugs were worked out. Then I took a five hour test ride and couldn't get the smile off my face. The risk is definately worth the reward!

Dudley
08-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Potential Buyer - Time to Stay Clear of a Spyder

The title is what raised the hair on my neck! Here is a person who has no ownership experience on a Spyder, yet is telling any potential buyer to stay away from buying a Spyder because of what was heard, read, etc. It's like me telling someone what to take for a sickness, from what I have read or heard. Had he come on and asked for information to better aide him in his decision about a Spyder, I would have understood. But to bluntly state "Potential Buyer - Time to Stay Clear of a Spyder"...no. And then to admit that his posting was intentionally controversial...I am done.

Twodog185
08-25-2009, 10:53 AM
I'll bump it once.

Why is this thread still here?:dontknow:

Tom in NM
08-25-2009, 01:14 PM
me, firefly, Scotty, BRPJunkie, Someguy, Rando and many others are trolls according to U.P. folks. We all live under the bridge. :D

. . . I am from Grand Rapids. But that criteria covers most of the United States and parts of Canada.

Poor treatment?
I re-read the member's posts and don't think they were out of line or rude or angry, but, we all have our own sensitivities and in-sensitivities.

I enjoy this forum - it has a great tone and a wide variety of people and experiences. I have learned a lot, laughed a lot, and considered lots of perspectives that are quite different than mine.
Over all, there are two great attitudes that members of this forum show; an attitude of making things better and collaboration - working together and sharing ideas and experiences to improve everyones Spyder riding.

As far as RCB, like FireFly said, "Time will tell." In the meantime, I have my opinion, but I won't mistake it for The Truth.

Smylinacha, not smoking is good. Hang in there. Oh, and I will pass on the Naughty Chair. When I was a little kid, my parents used to tie me to a tree in our backyard, for which I am eternally thankful. It instilled in me a real need and appreciation for FREEDOM that has been satisfied by my Spyder.

Tom

wyliec
08-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Potential Buyer - Time to Stay Clear of a Spyder

The title is what raised the hair on my neck! Here is a person who has no ownership experience on a Spyder, yet is telling any potential buyer to stay away from buying a Spyder because of what was heard, read, etc. It's like me telling someone what to take for a sickness, from what I have read or heard. Had he come on and asked for information to better aide him in his decision about a Spyder, I would have understood. But to bluntly state "Potential Buyer - Time to Stay Clear of a Spyder"...no. And then to admit that his posting was intentionally controversial...I am done.

I agree 100%; but, you are :bdh:. You'll never convince those who think you piled on the poor boy/girl.

Magic Man
08-25-2009, 01:58 PM
I agree 100%; but, you are :bdh:. You'll never convince those who think you piled on the poor boy/girl.

Piled on the poor boy? :dontknow:

Where is it written that I have to "as a free American" be this all loving, all forgiving and all accepting person? :gaah:

I have had too much of this "you must be PC or somehow you're wrong" attitude that is sweeping this country.

I'm sorry, but if you come on here and "kick my dog" I'm gonna say something about it.

If "I have to respect your right to voice your view" even if I don't like it, than you have to respect mine to do the same! Which does not make me bad or wrong in doing so ether. Just because I won't lie down and let a stranger rip into my passion does not make me wrong or out of line.

Same quarter asked for, same quarter given.

MM

rleathen
08-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Magicman....well said !!!!

3wheeldemon
08-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Magicman....well said !!!!

+1

3WD

the nicko
08-25-2009, 04:59 PM
if you want one