PDA

View Full Version : K&N Filter Does Not Fit Ryker CVT Side

tbohman56
10-17-2020, 12:25 PM
I know the filters on the Ryker are the same size, and I have a K&N on the intake, but when I tried to fit the K&N on the CVT side, it is such a tight fit that it puckers on one end, and does not provide a complete seal. Anyone else same issue?

BajaRon
10-17-2020, 12:51 PM
I know the filters on the Ryker are the same size, and I have a K&N on the intake, but when I tried to fit the K&N on the CVT side, it is such a tight fit that it puckers on one end, and does not provide a complete seal. Anyone else same issue?

I have both filters on my Ryker with no issues. Be sure both are CM-9910's. There are filters which look identical but are not. Next, I would swap air filters. If the problem then moves to the engine side, I'd say you might have a defective air filter. Though in all my years selling and using the K&N filters, I've not seen a defictive one. But anything is possible.

I would be very interested in what you discover.

tbohman56
10-17-2020, 03:07 PM
I have both filters on my Ryker with no issues. Be sure both are CM-9910's. There are filters which look identical but are not. Next, I would swap air filters. If the problem then moves to the engine side, I'd say you might have a defective air filter. Though in all my years selling and using the K&N filters, I've not seen a defictive one. But anything is possible.

I would be very interested in what you discover.

Problem solved. They sent a KT-1113 filter in the CM-9910 box.

BajaRon
10-17-2020, 04:49 PM

How about that! Never saw that before. But like I said. Anything is possible. Glad you got it worked out. I really like the K&N on the CVT side. I was getting a hot belt smell until I changed to the K&N. It's warmer temps now than when I got the hot belt smell. Found the stock paper air cleaner pretty well clogged after only 2,000 miles. I've been advising people to keep a close eye on that CVT side. The cooling fan on the CVT side must really pull in a lot of air.

The fact that the K&N will flow more air dirty than the OEM paper filter when it is clean is a good thing.

SportsterDoc
10-17-2020, 09:17 PM
Can you work the mesh where it binds?
The aftermarket filter on my trans was an easy fit.
Disregard, just saw wrong filter in box post and deleting is not an option.

BajaRon
10-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Can you work the mesh where it binds?
The aftermarket filter on my trans was an easy fit.
Disregard, just saw wrong filter in box post and deleting is not an option.

I see you went about 5k on the original air filter. How dirty did you find it to be?

SportsterDoc
10-18-2020, 08:57 PM
Moderately dirty.
I could have removed, blown off bugs (from backside) and used another maybe 2,000 miles.
However, as important as cooling is to the CVT belt, I had already decided to go only 5,000 miles.
I had just returned from a six day 1,115 mile trip, including 10 miles of dirt road from Williams (AZ) to Highway 89A and 1/2 mile dirt to friends in Prescott Valley.

Looking at the oil, I am glad I did two oil changes already, at 1200 miles and 5,622 miles. If I were to keep it, next would be in 5,000 miles at ~11,600.

Even though I am planning on selling the Ryker (hence the service items for sale ads), I treat every vehicle I have owned as though I planned to keep it forever (that gives my wife a good laugh).

threewheelcurious
02-17-2021, 08:54 PM

BajaRon
02-18-2021, 11:08 AM

That is really amazing! I'm going to check the filters we have in stock to be sure we aren't sending out the wrong one. But I do highly recommend the K&N on the CVT side. It will make a longevity difference as well as a functional difference in the operation of your CVT.