PDA

View Full Version : Got recall done and...

bone crusher
08-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Today I got the recall done...shut off the Juice Box before the update...

When done, I had the tech. disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes, re-connect, and then idle for 15 minutes. (like rebooting the computer)...

Presto chango...drove about 75 miles home and not a hitch...mind you I was driving in ridiculous thunderstorms the whole way...those of you on the east coast between VA and NY will know what I'm talking about...thank goodness for ESI/NMN's LED lights...visibility was key...many cars on the side of the road but not my Spyder...handled like a charm...with the stock tires (no need for fancier ones...I have been in several severe downpours now and really like the stock tires...they handle very, very well).

Anyway, the bike ran great...couldn't tell if there was any steering change or not as I didn't have an issue before the update...

I run 87 octane...always have, always will. I know some here swear by higher octane but the bike is configured for 87...if you need 91 or more octane after the update, you likely have another issue...there shouldn't be a need for this...

I obviously haven't played with the JB since the update but I'll start playing with it after I put a few hundred miles on the bike...but, after 75 miles for the ride home, the bike ran great.

I also had the ESI/NMN 3" risers put in...they're awesome but I'll write a separate post later about that! Darn tech. did charge a bit too much for install but I wasn't about to start cutting my handlebars...so, pay I did...and dearly...

I'm sorry to hear about so many with recall issues...I'm wondering why it went wrong? I'll tell everyone flat out that it isn't the Juice Box (well, mine was off)...I question what else was in play when the update was done and how the bike received and adapted to the update...

BumbleBee
08-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Glad to hear you are having no issue's. Haven't been in the rain with my spyder just yet, that'll happen one day. I also run 87 octane only.

I have all original stock on my spyder, except for the handlebar grips. Service is coming up on Friday, be interesting to see what comes out of that, after the update. :pray:

dave01
08-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Glad to hear yours is doing good. Mine didnt start acting up till the next day once i got 100+ miles on it after the update. I have rebooted it, unhooked the JB, put the stock pipe back on and everything and until today, with cool wx, mine has the surge/popping/backfire issues. I agree it has NOTHING to do with the Juicebox, but I think its more of a baseline fuel curve issue, which BRP will have to iron out. I have the JB and 2bros back on since it didnt make any difference when in hot weather.

vt228
08-22-2009, 08:16 PM
HaD RECALLS DUNE AND MY SPYDER RUNS RUFF BACK FIRES AND POWER STERING GOES OUT ON ME GOT TO GO BACK TO BOBS AND GET NEW FAN RUNS HOT Limp moad comes up alot :chill: NEW FAN BIGGER THAN ONE ON SPYDER LET YOU ALL KNOW WHAT THEY FIND .....DON

BajaRon
08-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Glad to hear yours is doing good. Mine didnt start acting up till the next day once i got 100+ miles on it after the update. I have rebooted it, unhooked the JB, put the stock pipe back on and everything and until today, with cool wx, mine has the surge/popping/backfire issues. I agree it has NOTHING to do with the Juicebox, but I think its more of a baseline fuel curve issue, which BRP will have to iron out. I have the JB and 2bros back on since it didnt make any difference when in hot weather.

Have you pinched off your purge valve hose?

dave01
08-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Have you pinched off your purge valve hose?
Havent tried that yet. I'll do it tomorrow before I head to the Gap and see how she runs. Thanks for the idea

BeRight
08-22-2009, 09:20 PM
:2thumbs: Glad it worked out for you Bonecrusher. You were a long way from home.

Just curious if tech. mentioned resetting the TPS (throttle position sensor) (I think BRP calls it the throttle stop sensor)and the GPS...Don't know if this matters but some think so!

bone crusher
08-22-2009, 09:59 PM
:2thumbs: Glad it worked out for you Bonecrusher. You were a long way from home.

Just curious if tech. mentioned resetting the TPS (throttle position sensor) (I think BRP calls it the throttle stop sensor)and the GPS...Don't know if this matters but some think so!

Crud...not sure...

I had them check a few other things...right fog light aimed a little high, some hindle light 'popping' at times, etc...

Interesting that I had this issue of the needle speedometer being about 8 mph higher (at higher speeds) than the digital...after the reset of the battery, it's about even again...very odd...no idea about that one.

I had them put on the risers...took a while...but did a good job...

They also had to remove the throttlemeister for the risers and I have to set that a little tighter now...the throttle is a bit looser too...no biggie though...

The bike ran great through literally 1.5 hrs. of thunderstorms...I'm talking storms that had many cars, SUVs, etc...sitting on the side of the road...the Spyder handled beautifully....only one point did I hydroplane, but only for a fraction of a second.

I got completely soaked, but it was fun! Don't recommend it unless you're comfortable with near nil visibility, your hazards flashing, and moving about 2/3 the speed limit. Going over the Bay Bridge was quite interesting...

BajaRon
08-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Havent tried that yet. I'll do it tomorrow before I head to the Gap and see how she runs. Thanks for the idea

It has solved the popping and lousy running for several people so far. Not a permananete fix though. If clamping the purge valve line resolves your issues, you need to block off the purge valve line and provide some other method of ventilation for the fuel tank.

If you don't, you'll probably cause yourself other problems long term.

Blinc
08-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Yep, same issue here. Just had the DPS recall completed. I actually had mine done as my check engine light kept coming on and Check DPS would scroll across the dash. The update seems to have fixed that issue, but now I have an quite often pretty bad "miss" like the spyder is being starved of fuel.
I supposed I can try the purge valve thing...does anyone have a pice of the section I should tie off??

Just want to be sure I do it correctly.

BajaRon
08-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Yep, same issue here. Just had the DPS recall completed. I actually had mine done as my check engine light kept coming on and Check DPS would scroll across the dash. The update seems to have fixed that issue, but now I have an quite often pretty bad "miss" like the spyder is being starved of fuel.
I supposed I can try the purge valve thing...does anyone have a pice of the section I should tie off??

Just want to be sure I do it correctly.

There are pics on the Shop Talk forum. But it's easy to find the hose going straight up from the Evap Canister to the Purge Valve located behind the frame member. It has wires going to it. Just clamp the hose between the Evap can and the Purge valve. That will tell you right away if this is your problem.