PDA

View Full Version : Anyone needed to clean Throttle Body /Plate Sludge Build up

bikerchris1270
10-12-2020, 09:47 AM
Any of you folks out there with higher mileage Spyders encountered Throttle Body Bore/Plate Sludge build up from the recycling of blow by engine gases?
looking at the shop manual describes the cleaning process.....same as a car.....just wondering if its an overlooked issue.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-12-2020, 10:27 AM
What year? 2012 and earlier had TB issues and many had to be replaced. I don't know for sure if it was mostly a varnish buildup problem or wear causing the butterfly valve to stick. My 2013 exhibited the problem one time and not again while I owned it. Sold it at ~25k miles. It's been a rare issue since the 2014 MY as I recall from forum posts.

pegasus1300
10-12-2020, 10:57 AM
I don't believe there was much in the way of throttle body issues on 2012 VTwins. That seemed to be a problem mostly with 2010/2011. My VTwin, a 2012 turned over 62,000 miles Saturday and has never had an issue with that. I have also never considered cleaning the throttle bodies either. It may be something I will have to look into.

IGETAROUND
10-20-2020, 09:46 AM
Any of you folks out there with higher mileage Spyders encountered Throttle Body Bore/Plate Sludge build up from the recycling of blow by engine gases?
looking at the shop manual describes the cleaning process.....same as a car.....just wondering if its an overlooked issue.

Had 53K on my 2014, never had problems, never did any specific cleaning.

Bfromla
10-20-2020, 12:38 PM
64820m np , Hasn’t been done or dealer has not charged me any way:dontknow::roflblack:
They have done some other In-depth work on shifting & leaky head gasket, may have been done honestly don’t know sorry Have also history of various fuel treatments that would not clean TB but maybe hide issues if there were any. Currently have not had code to that :popcorn:
(knocking on wood)