PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Shift or Idle issue?

SNOOPY
10-05-2020, 04:13 PM
2013 STS SE5

So what it seems to be doing is when on a ride, bike warmed up, if I stop for a moment such as at a light, when I go to take off...the bike shutters/hesitates (whatever you want to call it) looking for a gear to move forward. It is a split second but annoying. Bike should already be in gear right? It’s as if the idle is low and not keeping in first, if that’s even possible.

Not sure if the throttle needs to be 100 rpm higher (if possible) or if some linkage needs to be adjusted?

Or clutch wearing out? (If there is a clutch lol)

Bike has probably under 18,000 miles.

Mikey
10-05-2020, 04:51 PM
Have replaced the two vac lines on the carb yet?

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-05-2020, 05:47 PM
Have replaced the two vac lines on the carb yet?

:agree: .... and The SE trans on the V-twins are fussy about the OIL level.... so had thast been checked ??? ..... good luck .... Mike :thumbup:

Flamewinger
10-05-2020, 10:36 PM
Oil level can make a difference. Check it per the manual. It's a cold blooded engine and once really warmed up it runs fine. The plugs and wires, if not changed, should be with the 14k service. Vacuum hoses should be OK as they are newer than the earlier models. But checking them for cracks would be a good idea.

pegasus1300
10-06-2020, 12:09 AM
All VTwins come with rubber vacuum hoses that break down rather quickly. Regardless of miles your machine is over 7 years old. Change out hoses for ones made of silicone. You can get the hose at NAPA but you will have to cut them to length and they must be the same length as the originals. Check your oil, that can make a real difference in the shifting. At 18000 miles your clutch should be just fine unless you have abused it by shifting to soon and running the motor at too low an RPM.

Zena
10-10-2020, 08:27 AM
This may be a goofy question, but hey, this is my first Spyder. :) I have a 2013 SE5 RT, how many vacuum hoses are there? I have had the 'chug chug' at a stoplight once and have thought about having the hoses changed out. Since I have an uphill battle getting the techs to take me seriously when I mention something that is wrong if I cannot be very specific, I try and do my homework. If there are multiple, then I might say change them all while they have it apart. Thanks!

Mikey
10-10-2020, 09:11 AM
There are two, pretty close to each other, do a search on them, you will find some pictures so you know what your looking for!!! 185274

Zena
10-11-2020, 06:30 AM
That is great info, thank you!!!

SNOOPY
10-11-2020, 07:00 AM
To answer some of the questions above.. I have changed the vacuum lines to Bajarons silicone hoses, that was years ago and can recheck. Oil and filter changes have been done probably a little sooner than CanAms recommended time intervals and I check the level all the time.

And I notice this more when all warmed up than I do when it’s cold.

SNOOPY
10-11-2020, 07:02 AM
All VTwins come with rubber vacuum hoses that break down rather quickly. Regardless of miles your machine is over 7 years old. Change out hoses for ones made of silicone. You can get the hose at NAPA but you will have to cut them to length and they must be the same length as the originals. Check your oil, that can make a real difference in the shifting. At 18000 miles your clutch should be just fine unless you have abused it by shifting to soon and running the motor at too low an RPM.

I don’t think my motor has ever been run at a low RPM. :roflblack:

Mikey
10-11-2020, 07:12 AM
Could it be misfiring? Like a bad plug or wire?:dontknow:

SNOOPY
10-11-2020, 07:26 AM
I could check that also when I check the vacuum lines. I changed the plugs wires and hoses a few years back w the upgraded stuff from Bajaron.

But yeah, feels a little like that, but only from idle after sitting a moment.

SNOOPY
10-11-2020, 11:05 AM
Just checked plugs and hoses. Plug color looks good. Plug gaps were about .033, i regapped to .030 (within spec of .028-.031). Torqued to 124 in lbs.

Hoses looked like getting some age on them and not real tight so I replaced since I had more. Now a pretty tight connection.

Didn’t find anything of significance, so don’t know if there will be a change. Rainy out, so can’t check today.

Bfromla
10-11-2020, 12:38 PM
I don’t think my motor has ever been run at a low RPM. :roflblack:

.:thumbup:
Think1300 RPM bare minimum on 998. When fighting purge valve issues, that was about where it would stall. Possibly what is going on if topped off gas tank too much.

SNOOPY
10-11-2020, 03:28 PM
Are you saying the purge valve may be the issue?

I usually fill up at home w a fuel jug, so usually don’t over fill. But I can check that or replace if it’s a common issue. Where is it? Lol

Bfromla
10-11-2020, 10:12 PM
Are you saying the purge valve may be the issue?

I usually fill up at home w a fuel jug, so usually don’t over fill. But I can check that or replace if it’s a common issue. Where is it? Lol

Wouldn’t say “common” but definitely troublesome & like BRP$500 Apparently can NOT get wet :dontknow:so naturally install on a FLUID container:banghead::banghead::sour:

SNOOPY
10-19-2020, 06:40 PM
2013 STS SE5

So what it seems to be doing is when on a ride, bike warmed up, if I stop for a moment such as at a light, when I go to take off...the bike shutters/hesitates (whatever you want to call it) looking for a gear to move forward. It is a split second but annoying. Bike should already be in gear right? It’s as if the idle is low and not keeping in first, if that’s even possible.

Not sure if the throttle needs to be 100 rpm higher (if possible) or if some linkage needs to be adjusted?

Or clutch wearing out? (If there is a clutch lol)

Bike has probably under 18,000 miles.

So finally got a chance to ride it yesterday and it seems better. Only things I did was clean and regap the plugs and replaced the two short hoses at the carb w some fresh silicone ones. I’ll have to check on a warmer day or longer ride in case it’s still doing it when hotter.